Ask the Mods!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I will go ahead and weigh in on this thread too, since I was a mod for many years and may well ask to be reinstated at some point in the future, assuming my life becomes less cluttered when I retire from my day job.
Okay, now I have my reading glasses back on, but for a second I thought you'd written "may well ask to be restrained at some point" and I just started laughing. :D

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Any Mod: Has there ever been a discrepancy in regards to infractions? In other words, an infraction has been handed out and then another mod/admin steps in and protests. How is that handled? Does it happen often?
A lot of infractions are judgment calls but there are not many times when a mod hands out in infraction when others wouldn't have taken some action. I always found that working on the WWKD (what would Knight do?) principle served me pretty well.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Any Mod: Has there ever been a discrepancy in regards to infractions? In other words, an infraction has been handed out and then another mod/admin steps in and protests. How is that handled? Does it happen often?

I also use Delmar's approach as well--what would Knight do? I use Knight's stance as a model as how I would hand out infractions.

The Mods here where chosen because they their mod style helps Knight realize his vision for this site.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I also use Delmar's approach as well--what would Knight do? I use Knight's stance as a model as how I would hand out infractions.

The Mods here where chosen because they their mod style helps Knight realize his vision for this site.

Which means I should be a Mod soon. :chuckle:

Quetzal

I will go ahead and weigh in on this thread too, since I was a mod for many years and may well ask to be reinstated at some point in the future, assuming my life becomes less cluttered when I retire from my day job.
Haven't seen you around for awhile. Hope to see you back in action soon.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is one mod decision made, if any, that you now regret having made?

AMR

Being a good moderator is a bit like being a good parent. It requires discerning the temperament of the people we are working with. What is too harsh a response for one, barely starts to get the attention of another. Figuring out what is just enough is trial and error with every single member. There are times when I went with a formal "warning" when a PM would have been plenty, and times when particular members caused me to regret giving them the benefit of a doubt.

glorydaz

Being a good moderator is a bit like being a good parent. It requires discerning the temperament of the people we are working with. What is too harsh a response for one, barely starts to get the attention of another. Figuring out what is just enough is trial and error with every single member. There are times when I went with a formal "warning" when a PM would have been plenty, and times when particular members caused me to regret giving them the benefit of a doubt.

And I would ask why in the world you'd want to take on a bunch of kids again. ;)

You were a great mod. I, for one, am always thankful it's you guys and not me having to make the decisions you do. :e4e:

bybee

You exercised a good deal of finesse and I am grateful for that!

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And I would ask why in the world you'd want to take on a bunch of kids again. ;)

Heh! Having some wee experience in the matter I think sometimes one has to take a step back from the effort as it can be very enervating. In fact, if I were king for a day, a mandatory one week sabbatical from modding would be required, minimally at least twice a year for all staff. Their mod access privileges would be suspended to make sure no one cheats, too. Getting away from the daily stresses involved for an extended period helps to refresh one's outlook and attitude. Dealing with a great deal of soul-sucking nonsense daily takes a toll; the tendency to become cynical looms large. I used to advise folks I managed that when they found themselves leaving work daily feeling mad, versus frustrated, that it is time to find another job. It is fine to be frustrated to not have enough hours in the day to get the job one is excited about and enjoys done. It is quite another when one is inflamed with anger about this or that on a daily basis.

The moderator's job is not like working a suicide hot line or 911 call desk, but the stresses involved, especially since they revolve around sacred matters impinging upon one's walk of faith, should not be discounted. Moderators at a Christian web site are akin to first responders for Jesus. Nothing to be taken lightly here.

AMR

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Being a good moderator is a bit like being a good parent.
Does this mean I finally get the pony?

It requires discerning the temperament of the people we are working with. What is too harsh a response for one, barely starts to get the attention of another. Figuring out what is just enough is trial and error with every single member. There are times when I went with a formal "warning" when a PM would have been plenty, and times when particular members caused me to regret giving them the benefit of a doubt.
:noid:

glorydaz

Heh! Having some wee experience in the matter I think sometimes one has to take a step back from the effort as it can be very enervating. In fact, if I were king for a day, a mandatory one week sabbatical from modding would be required, minimally at least twice a year for all staff. Their mod access privileges would be suspended to make sure no one cheats, too. Getting away from the daily stresses involved for an extended period helps to refresh one's outlook and attitude. Dealing with a great deal of soul-sucking nonsense daily takes a toll; the tendency to become cynical looms large. I used to advise folks I managed that when they found themselves leaving work daily feeling mad, versus frustrated, that it is time to find another job. It is fine to be frustrated to not have enough hours in the day to get the job one is excited about and enjoys done. It is quite another when one is inflamed with anger about this or that on a daily basis.

The moderator's job is not like working a suicide hot line or 911 call desk, but the stresses involved, especially since they revolve around sacred matters impinging upon one's walk of faith, should not be discounted. Moderators at a Christian web site are akin to first responders for Jesus. Nothing to be taken lightly here.

AMR

Are you volunteering to spell the mods when they take their breaks? ;)

I read the woodshed all the time, and there are some posters who manage to be a second set of eyes for the mods....we have so many threads going on all the time. But, way too many sound like a bunch of tattletales on the school ground. (I'm sorry to have to admit, I'm in the latter group). I think I'd get to the point where I just said....All you guys are going for a time out. Then I'd have my break. :chuckle:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you volunteering to spell the mods when they take their breaks? ;)
Now that would be an event, no?

I read the woodshed all the time, and there are some posters who manage to be a second set of eyes for the mods....we have so many threads going on all the time. But, way too many sound like a bunch of tattletales on the school ground. (I'm sorry to have to admit, I'm in the latter group). I think I'd get to the point where I just said....All you guys are going for a time out. Then I'd have my break. :chuckle:

I get it. Sort of like, "kill them all and let God sort them out." ;)

More seriously, I tend to report infrequently, usually on matters of the essentials of the faith in ECF, egregious matters of moral turpitude, or the occasional wing-nut's bad behavior. Reading the Woodshed gives plenty of insights into what gets attention and what is winked at, so I try to not fill up the mod in box with trifles. In most cases I just pos rep behind the scenes the one who troubles me with some words of advice or pointers to past posts from Knight, et al, relevant to their behavior.

There is merit in trying to be like the old E. F. Hutton commercial; "when he speaks everyone listens". I think a mod quickly learns who is overly sensitive and crying wolf often. It would be natural for the mod to start turning a blind eye to their reports. And thinking of the past, I knew a few who relished the role of being the name-taking hall or class monitor. For those who remember these folks, I need not remind anyone about how these folks fared socially. I am by no means implying I hold frequent reporters in disdain, for often they capture my own thoughts about this or that post being reported. I just blissfully assume that bad actors eventually percolate to the attention of the mod team without any help from my eye-balling and reporting.

Lastly, while the thread seems focused on the visible, the behind the scenes work likely consumes the majority of time. Dealing with moving, merging, editing threads, special group administration, member requests for this or that, instructing someone about "How do I?" or "Where can I find...?", hand-holding the indignant or the perceived insulted, shutting down trolls missed by automated tools, eliminating ugly content, investigating sock accounts, and more means the person needs to have confidence in their computer tools usage. A mod with high privileges can muck things up badly with a few errant mouse clicks. Not all persons can handle the work.

At the larger discussion sites, e.g., CF, mod training requires around 20-30 hours of personal time, with an exam given, just to learn all the procedures. Then the trainee is on probation for several weeks before they are turned loose on the masses. These folks are also measured by the amount of member neg rep reports (numbering in the hundreds) they manage from cradle to grave. It can become a full time job for some who are not disciplined and efficient.

AMR