Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It shouldn't be that hard to find. Perhaps someone will answer my question?
I just did. If you're too lazy to click onto the opening page and look up at the heading I gave you then you probably need to look into blogging...this isn't an auspicious beginning for you.

eameece

I just did. If you're too lazy to click onto the opening page and look up at the heading I gave you then you probably need to look into blogging...this isn't an auspicious beginning for you.

Anyone out there able to answer this question? What is Rep. Power, with the numbers? I would think someone might be curious, since it appears in all our profile listings on the side of our posts, and noone explains what it is. It isn't reputation; that's the little display at the bottom.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Anyone out there able to answer this question? What is Rep. Power, with the numbers?
Go and see.

I would think someone might be curious,
I'd think you'd be curious enough to go and see. :D

since it appears in all our profile listings on the side of our posts, and noone explains what it is.
Everyone else went and saw. :plain:

It isn't reputation; that's the little display at the bottom.
Perhaps an illustration then...tempting. :think: :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You just pointed me to the forum where I already am. There's nothing there.
There is. Or you have a peculiar browser. Your reputation is shown at the bottom with a general visual aid and your rep power relates to it, is a reflection of the positive numerical good or damage you can inflict on those whose posts you find worthy or irksome. The larger the rep power the more good and damage you can do. That number is generated by the number and quality of pos or neg reps your posts receive.

I'd think you would want to spend your time helping, not knocking people.
I do and did. You decided that instead of asking for additional particular clarification the thing to do would be post my answer and then dismiss/ignore it. So I had a little fun with you. If I was actually being mean spirited I'd have given you a neg rep, something I rarely do and didn't.

I'm beginning to suspect you won't be on my Secret Santa list. :think:

eameece

There is. Or you have a peculiar browser. Your reputation is shown at the bottom with a general visual aid and your rep power relates to it, is a reflection of the positive numerical good or damage you can inflict on those whose posts you find worthy or irksome. The larger the rep power the more good and damage you can do. That number is generated by the number and quality of pos or neg reps your posts receive.

Thanks for finally answering my question.

Rep Power seems unfair to me. Oh well. This does seem to be a religious-right dominated site, after all. But it does have some excellent threads.

Samstarrett

Rep Power seems unfair to me. Oh well. This does seem to be a religious-right dominated site, after all. But it does have some excellent threads.

First: Rep is largely a meaningless system. Some of the worst posters have great rep.

Second: How is the system inherently unfair?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

The rep system is merely a way to comment "behind the scenes" on other peoples posts. I wouldn't put much more thought into it than that.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

I wouldn't sweat the rep thing. Like I've said long since, it's a popularity contest of sorts and if that was the distinction of quality then McDonalds would be where we ate our anniversary meals. :D

It's a fun way to have a side bar and pat someone on the back without taking up the thread with it. I liken it to liner notes and enjoy them singularly for that...and you'd be surprised. I'm a moderate, lightly left leaning fellow and a great deal of my rep has come from people at either end of the political line. It's a generally fair and good group here, with many willing to note a sound argument or pithy line even while taking exception to its point.

Once you get to 50 posts and a couple of weeks you'll have more options and feel free to drop a line at my profile page if you have a quick question about some particular mechanism. I'm here frequently and less busy than our illustrious host.

Oh, and have you started a hello thread in the newbie section? It's good form to do that at some point.

:e4e:

First: Rep is largely a meaningless system. Some of the worst posters have great rep.
:noid:

Samstarrett

It seems unfair for some posters to have way more power to make a reputation than others.

That's because those posters themselves are more respected in the community and their opinions are thus considered more valuable. It's not perfect in practice(I won't name names, but some pretty obnoxious individuals have a lot of rep power), but the principle makes sense; the opinion of an experienced and respected poster is worth more than that of a newbie(a mostly unknown quantity) or a known troll, that sort of thing.

eameece

That's because those posters themselves are more respected in the community and their opinions are thus considered more valuable. It's not perfect in practice(I won't name names, but some pretty obnoxious individuals have a lot of rep power), but the principle makes sense; the opinion of an experienced and respected poster is worth more than that of a newbie(a mostly unknown quantity) or a known troll, that sort of thing.

I disagree. Just because someone is new to a forum does not reflect on their ability to tell a good from a bad post. Do people here really think that this is the only forum?

Of course, I'm a left winger and you're a right winger. Equality is more esteemed by folks like me; tradition and the power of entrenched authority is what right-wingers protect first and above-all, and always (however disguised in forms such as "free" market trickle-down economics). And so it is on this forum.

But it's a good forum anyway. Like you say, the reputation is a minor thing.

Samstarrett

I disagree. Just because someone is new to a forum does not reflect on their ability to tell a good from a bad post. Do people here really think that this is the only forum?

No, of course not. You misunderstand. I'm not saying that because you're new means you can't tell a good from a bad post. However, it does mean you haven't made a name for yourself and it's quite possible that you can't tell a good post from a bad one. You're not given power all at once when you're an unknown quantity, just like you wouldn't(hopefully) vote for a man for President about whom you knew nothing, on the grounds that you didn't know he couldn't run the country.

Of course, I'm a left winger and you're a right winger.

Yep.

Equality is more esteemed by folks like me;

And this discussion is a perfect example of how the left-wing ideal of equality is absurd.

tradition and the power of entrenched authority is what right-wingers protect first and above-all, and always (however disguised in forms such as "free" market trickle-down economics).

That may be a bit of an exaggeration.

And so it is on this forum.

The ownership is of the Christian Right. What did you expect? :idunno:

But it's a good forum anyway. Like you say, the reputation is a minor thing.

Glad to hear it, and I hope you stick around. If what you have to say is well-reasoned, your rep will come up in time. Meanwhile, don't worry about it too much.

God Bless,
Sam

Sjsoto

What are the procedures for promoting in your forum?
Ive seen how great "tol" is, and am looking foward to know the fees and regulations to posting here. Thanks in advance.

"tol" rocks.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Rule # 8 Modications.........

Rule # 8 Modications.........

~*~*~

Hello Knight,

I'd like to propose or suggest a modification or amendment of Rule #8 for your consideration -

8. Thou SHALL NOT attempt to redirect members to another forum, website, or blog. (Profile and signature links may be allowed with administrator approval.) Using our PM system to redirect members to other forums or websites is also a bannable offense.

I just alerted a fellow poster about this rule. From my understanding it is more specifically about posting to other discussion forums in particular. Otherwise,...it appears sharing links(websites/blogs/article resources) in the discussion threads that are pertinent and 'related' to the subject are permissible. Is this acceptable? - in which case only other discussion forums are not allowed to be linked. I'd ask here why this is proposed in the first place, which would factor in the rule's existence.

I've honored this rule, but do often post links to sites (not other discussion forums though) that are helpful in relating more info. about the subject being discussed, which I assume is acceptable since such has been allowed. So if you'd like to revise or modify this rule for better clarification, that would be great :)

As far as PM's go, I'd hold the same rule about linking to other discussion groups yet allow 'legitimate links' to be shared in private that do not violate any other rules for the board. - thoughts?

pj

eameece

How many posts do I have to make before I can use this link:

"Find all posts by eameece"

It would help to find my own posts so I can remember what I posted to and answer replies on those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.