Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slogeo

Knight, This is a very informative web-page. I am not computer 'savy' and would like to know if there is someone who would be willing to be a mentor to me? I am a 40 year old, married female. Thank you much.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight, This is a very informative web-page. I am not computer 'savy' and would like to know if there is someone who would be willing to be a mentor to me? I am a 40 year old, married female. Thank you much.
What sort of mentoring are you seeking?

slogeo

If I had a question as where to find something or how to do something. For example, I was trying for quite a long time to figure out how to contact you to comment on this web-site.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Did you guys get stung in the vBulletin version4 licencing kerfuffle?
Yes and no.

The licensing scuffle was only applicable if you wanted to get the new vBulletin CMS front end. I probably would have done it had they not asked me to purchase it sight unseen and also out of step with my normal licensing fee anniversary.

Because of that mess, I have decided to stick with vBadvanced as my CMS and front end.

I will at some point upgrade to the new vBulletin (just for the forums) but I wont use vB's CMS. Terrible customer service in my opinion. I will be going to Las Vegas for a web publishers conference next week and the CEO of Internet Brands (they own vb) will be speaking and you can bet I will send at least one dirty look his way. ;)

I run 2 other large forums (similar size to TOL) and I will not be buying the vBulletin CMS for any of them.

DilatedMind

Yes and no.

The licensing scuffle was only applicable if you wanted to get the new vBulletin CMS front end. I probably would have done it had they not asked me to purchase it sight unseen and also out of step with my normal licensing fee anniversary.

Because of that mess, I have decided to stick with vBadvanced as my CMS and front end.

I will at some point upgrade to the new vBulletin (just for the forums) but I wont use vB's CMS. Terrible customer service in my opinion. I will be going to Las Vegas for a web publishers conference next week and the CEO of Internet Brands (they own vb) will be speaking and you can bet I will send at least one dirty look his way. ;)

I run 2 other large forums (similar size to TOL) and I will not be buying the vBulletin CMS for any of them.

I was shocked that what they did was even legal, let alone good business sense. When you're shooting scornful looks at the IB guys, add one from me, it really irks me when companies act like this.

Not a webmaster, just a concerned netizen :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I was shocked that what they did was even legal, let alone good business sense. When you're shooting scornful looks at the IB guys, add one from me, it really irks me when companies act like this.
It's certainly legal. After all... they are charging money for a new piece of software.

There isn't anything illegal about that.

(our existing licenses still cover the forum portion of the software)

It's merely bad customer service because they gave a very short upgrade window and the software hasn't even been demo'd anywhere yet. It's tough to spend a ton of money on something you have never seen function.

Not a webmaster, just a concerned netizen :)
Well... vb certainly has a major PR nightmare on their hands that's for sure.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Your PM box is 91% full.

Could you PLEASE give us blue accounts a little more PM storage? I keep having to go through and delete messages.
Couldn't you find it in your generous heart to give us a little bit more space?
Please?
:angel:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Your PM box is 91% full.

Could you PLEASE give us blue accounts a little more PM storage? I keep having to go through and delete messages.
Couldn't you find it in your generous heart to give us a little bit more space?
Please?
:angel:
Uh..... no. :)

We have to pay for this crazy place. It's expensive to run a site like this that's why we give so much more space and perks to the subscribers. Subscriptions start at just 8 cents per day.

Prolifeguyswife

Do you still do the Post of the Day? I found one I wanted to nominate yesterday and I wasn't sure if you could still do that. I tried to search for that thread, and I couldn't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.