ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

Rolf Ernst

SORRY CLETE--You don't know Reformed theology, so you--of all people--are least qualified to make such a statement. I don't know how many times I have seen that absurd statement from you, and every time, it has been clear to me that you weren't paying attention when you were associated with a Reformed church. I get the impression that you were a teenager at the time and in a spirit of rebellion against authority figures. Maybe you were spending your time passing notes back and forth with other teenage miscreants when you should have been listening.

I repeat, you DON'T UNDERSTAND REFORMED THEOLOGY. If you don't knock off your claim to know Reformed theology, I will post the difference between what you say it teaches and what Reformed theologians actually teach.

You serve up so many large posts and they are so loaded with your egotism that I usually just cruise by without reading. From your curt manner you can't be far from your teens now (if you have even gotten beyond them).

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Rolf... I have just got to say that because of your posts I picture you in the part of King Arthur talking with Sir Bedevere in Monty Python's Holy Grail. It's the manner that you speak mostly, but somewhat the content too.

But seriously, it would be great to hear the differences from what Clete says and what Reformed theology says.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yes! It would be very great to hear (read), indeed! I've been a Calvinist my entire Christian life since I was in third grade until something less than ten years ago (I'm currently 35 years old). So I was a Calvinist well before I was ever a teenager and long after as well. I am certain that I know more about what Calvinism teaches than do. You seem to only know the sanitized version which is taught to the herds of Sunday school attendees and pew warmers on Sunday mornings. You know all the clichés and all the catch phrases but seemingly none of the substance or history. At any rate, whether that's the case or not, I'll debate whatever you want to bring to the table Rolf.
Further, whatever you want to call it, Calvinism, Reformed theology, Rolfism, or whatever makes you happy, it makes exactly zero difference to me. Your theology, whatever it's called, is self-contradictory, which is a point that has already been established and gone completely unchallenged by you. In fact, you seem to take some sort of sick pride in the fact that you have the "faith" required to embrace such theology in spite of the obvious contradictions contained therein. So bring it on! Show the world your backside again and demonstrate to us all how much smarter you are than I by establishing that I don't know what I'm talking about. Please! I can hardly wait!

By the way, my understanding of what Calvinism (Reformed theology) teaches can be found at the following links....

Sovereign Grace: An Examination of the Five Points of Calvinism

Studies in Reformed Theology: A STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES

THE REFORMED FAITH by Loraine Boettner

What Is the Reformed Faith? - High Points of Calvinism

There are, of course, many, many more links that I could give but these seem to give the standard Calvinist teachings. I gave several because there is some minor differences between various groups but all of these are written and published by Calvinist for Calvinist, it is their own theology in their own words and those of Calvin himself and other reformation leaders. I submit that practically every single point made in any of these writings that is distinctive of, and specific to Calvinism is wrong. The entire system is flawed from its very core presuppositional beliefs and as a result virtually all of their conclusions are as well.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited by a moderator:

lee_merrill

Originally posted by Clete I'll debate whatever you want to bring to the table Rolf.

How about the last dish I brought to this table?

I submit that practically every single point made in any of these writings that is distinctive of, and specific to Calvinism is wrong. The entire system is flawed from its very core presuppositional beliefs and as a result virtually all of their conclusions are as well.

If so, it should be easy to refute! But saying "this is intellectually dishonest" is not a refutation. I'm glad if you don't hold the view I am arguing with, just let me know...

Blessings,
Lee

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Lee,

I'll respond to your post asap, but only to those portions which are responsive to points I have already made. In other words, it feels like you are I are going in circles and I don't like getting dizzy. A simple restatement of ones position is not responding to the argument and its not debate.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Okay, before you even start reading this montrously long post, I barely had time to type it up, forget about my being able to edit it! Please forgive any errors of grammar or spelling! Thanks!

Well, if it's a prediction and it's the truth, then it's sure! But I don't think the other meanings fit here and elsewhere, doesn't God always mean what he says? And with the last phrase we have the serpent saying "You will not importantly die," ("It's not important if you die?" That's not very tempting), or something.
This whole paragraph is utter stupidity and non responsive to the argument. No response is warranted.
Then Jesus had every intention of Peter denying him? I don't think this will do, Clete. These "surely" predictions are not speaking of an intent, but simply of an event.
This ignores the point of the argument and responds to a point which was not made. Again, no response is warranted.

Matthew 5:18 Truly, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Lee: This seems to be more than just an underline on this sentence!

Clete: Both of these things DO NOT depend on the action or inaction of men.

Lee: Sure they do! How else can the law be fulfilled, if men do not obey it? And can't a person lose rewards?

2 John 1:8 Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully.
This is nearly unresponsive as well because its obvious that you didn't think this through before stating it but be that as it may, answer your own question.
What if no one obeyed the law, no one? What if every last single person still alive rebelled against God and refused to obey His law? What would happen? Would the law disappear? Would the law not be fulfilled? Think about it before you answer this time.
Clete: Why, if God explicitly said that He would repent, as He did in Jer. 18, do you object when He does so?

Because sometime he doesn't! And he won't, and he tells us so…

Psalm 110:4 The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."

And I would include the statements where God takes an oath, as you mentioned, and where God says "This is sure," as these kinds of statements. Just because I sometimes change my mind, does that mean I can never make it up?
COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNRESPONSIVE TO THE QUESTION ASKED!
I've never said that God doesn't make up His mind, He does! But that wasn't what I asked was it?
I asked you a very specific question which you are scared to answer because you cannot do it without contradicting the Bible or contradicting you own stated position, one or the other.
Well, what else can it mean, if it doesn't mean "this is really a true statement"? This means "I mean what I say (at the moment)"? Only it can't mean that here, or else Jesus might be mistaken about the past, while saying "Truly"…

And again, the translators are all mistaken, when they use words and phrases such as "Truly," "Assuredly," "I tell you the truth," instead of "This is important," or some similar words.
Simply restates you previously stated and refuted position and is unresponsive to any point I've ever made. Instead it attempts to put words into my mouth which were never said.
No response is warranted.

Lee: But how is it required that God's ways conflict with his knowledge? If Jesus knows for sure that Peter will deny him, how does that counter how God will respond to rebellion or repentance, as shown in Jer. 18?

Clete: If Jesus knew absolutely that Peter would deny Him then Peter would have no moral culpability for the action and Jesus' disappointment in Peter would have been misplaced and unjust.

Lee: How does that make Jesus a liar, though? And where do we read that Jesus was disappointed? Especially if he predicted it. Moral culpability can still be present, if there is certain knowledge, as well, I think, just as knowing pretty well that a person will bite on an sting operation doesn't get them off in court.
It doesn't make Jesus a liar! Who ever suggested that? And Jesus is God, Lee! Of course He would be disappointed in Peter having denied Him! And no, moral culpability requires that someone choose, if there was no choice there is no moral component to the action. In a sting operation where a person is forced or tricked into committing the crime against their own freely choice, it is called entrapment and it is fundamentally unjust!
Clete: The whole point is that if the human race continues to exist, then we will rebel against God. This does not make God responsible for our evil actions!

Lee: It does give some primary responsibility to God, if he sees an evil deed being done, and he could stop it, and he doesn't. I think you are the one avoiding the point, here!
If so, then why am I the one responding substantively to your arguments and you're the one who simply restates his position over and over again without ever addressing the arguments made against it?

Clete: According to the Open View there are no "ultimate plans" (whatever that means) that God has that He will not accomplish. None. Not even one.

Yes, I just wanted to put the Open Theists on the griddle a bit here! And insist that they defend this view from Scripture. What Scriptures would you use, to support this, I would ask?
What view? I will not defend an undefined position that you think I must have. If you have a question, ask it. If there is a position that I hold to that you want defended then tell me which one and I'll defend it. But I'm not going to blindly follow you down the primrose path.
Lee: Yes, if God set out to save them, it's a defeat…

Clete: Well then God is a loser then, according to your logic because there are millions of people whom God shed His blood for who are, at this very moment, in Hell and will remain there forever!

Lee: You must know by now that I believe we are given reason to hope that all will be saved. So now must we say that God is indeed a loser, in the Open View?
I do not make my theological decision based on what you consider to be a loser.
Clete: For the Open View, it's no big deal, God is still God and things happen in the Bible just as one would expect according to the Open View.

Lee: No, the point is that if God sets out to save someone, and doesn't save them, then that's a defeat, whether or not it was possible for him to fail.
In that case the Bible depicts many such defeats. Did God not set out to rescue Israel from Egypt and bring them to the Promised Land? And yet the entire generation that was brought out of Egypt fell dead in the desert without ever seeing the Promised Land. And Did God want for Israel to repent and so that Jesus would return and usher in their kingdom? And yet they stoned Stephen and were thus cut off and God turned instead to the Gentiles. God created Adam and said that he was good and yet he rebelled and ate of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Moses was a great man of God and yet God set out to kill him because he had not obeyed God and circumcised his son on the eighth day. David was a man after God's own heart and yet he was a murderer and an adulterer. On and on and on we could go, multiplying examples of where God wanted one thing and got the precise opposite so if you want to call God a loser, you go right ahead, but don't you dare accuse me of saying any such thing.

Lee: How can God not know all there is to know about himself? Knowing how he would act, if this happened, or that happened, I would say is part of God's omniscience.

Clete: God knows what He wants to know of that which is knowable. This includes information about Himself and what circumstances in which He will find Himself in the future. God is a person, He is just, holy, and righteous and will act accordingly.

Lee: I agree! Then does God know how he would act, in any completely described situation?
What situation could be "completely described"? Are you asking a completely hypothetical question with no correlation to reality? If so, then I say, yes, He can. But I don't believe there could ever be any such thing as a "completely described" situation (at least one's that involve beings with a will) because in every situation there are aspects that are unknowable and therefore indescribable.

Lee: Then does this not apply to Isaac and his physical descendants? Then I think we have to invoke foreknowledge, to explain the difference being conditional here, and unconditional in Gen. 15:18.

Clete: God cannot know for certain what free will agents will do because their actions are fundamentally unknowable.

Lee: I do know you believe that! But here is an implication that I think counters this view, that a promise could be both clearly conditional and clearly unconditional.
Have you ever heard of the law of non-contradiction? In the words of Aristotle, "One cannot say of something that it is and that it is not in the same respect and at the same time."
It's a fundamental law of logic and cannot be glibly ignored. If a promise is both conditional and unconditional then it cannot be so at the same time and in the same respect. IT CANNOT BE!

Swearing implies allegiance though, does it not? Certainly more than just a physical motion.
NO! The Bible does not say that everyone will swear allegiance to the Lord, only that they will bow the knee to Him, that they will submit to His authority.

Quote:
Lee: What if the descendants of David all run into the sea?

Clete: Jesus is descended from David, He will sit on David's thrown for all eternity.

Lee: But Jesus was born many generations after David. So how about all the necessary human choices by David's descendants, up until that time?[/quote]
What about David himself? What if he had not repented of his evil deeds and turned his back on the Lord before he every bore a single child? What then? Do you think that God would have panicked or something? NO! He would have responded accordingly just as he did with King Saul who God promised an eternal kingdom as well, or didn't you know that? God chose Saul to be king and had the intention of that kingdom enduring forever, it didn't even last one single generation! Saul turned out to be a complete disaster of a king and so God cut his line off and gave the kingdom instead to David. Had it been necessary to do so, God could and would have done the same with the line of David and turned instead to someone else. God is not a slave to His own words regardless of the evil actions of men. This the whole point of Jer. 18.
Clete: Just because God doesn't explicitly state the condition when he make a prophecy or a promise doesn't mean that the principle doesn't apply.

Lee: I think the context indicates otherwise, though:
Well, you're wrong! How many examples do I have to give you that show that you're wrong before you'll stop repeating yourself?

Lee: Jer. 18 … tells us how God responds, not whether he can predict (or know) our responses accurately.

Clete: If God knows that we will rebel and thereby not receive that which was promised, then why did He make the promise in the first place?

Lee: Because he can know when people will not rebel!
NO HE CANNOT! He can have a pretty darned good idea but that's not the same as knowing. If He did know then Jer. 18 still would make no sense anyway and so this is yet another totally unresponsive statement on your part.

If God has perfect foreknowledge of the future, by whatever means, then most of the Bible makes no sense whatsoever, Jer. 18 in particular.

How is Jer. 18 telling us whether God can predict people's responses, though? That is my question here.
Because if He could perfectly predict people's responses then making the statement that He makes in Jer. 18 wouldn't make any sense! What's the point in warning someone not to do something that you know for a fact that they are going to do? Or better yet, what is the point in warning someone not to do something that you know for a fact that they are NOT going to do? Either way, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever!
Lee: Well, then everyone could rebel! Even in heaven, and no one will ever be secure.

Clete: Your rebellion is impossible because God cannot be unfaithful to Himself.

Lee: Yes, that's what I believe, and why can't that be true on earth, as well?
Umm, what?
Clete: It means what it says but is a general statement and must be taken as such.

Lee: Then we have "The Lord perhaps foils the plans of the nations; he at times is able to thwart the purposes of the peoples. But the plans of the Lord stand somewhat firm forever, various purposes of his heart through all (generally speaking) generations."

Clete, this can't mean that. The context again indicates otherwise:
It doesn't mean that. I didn't sat it did. In fact, quite the contrary, I said that it means what it says.
If you do this even one more time, our conversation will be over. You will respond to the points that I actually make not to your made up fantasy arguments.
I know that! And the context indicates that this was not a statement about God wondering what would turn out, since we see here two questions being asked, and no one holds that the answer to the second question wasn't known by God.
The text doesn't say that God brought the animals to Adam to see if there was a suitable helper and so your point is moot. It sure enough does say though that He brought them to see what Adam would call them.
Clete: Now, if this is a figure of speech, what does it mean?

Well, again, I believe God was speaking from Adam's perspective, as in "What will you wear to the party?" knowing full well it will be the new Christmas outfit.
Unresponsive. What does it mean, Lee? What does it mean?
Lee: And this is not even about the present, it's about the past! "If they have done…" Doesn't God know all about the past?

Clete: God does not have to know something that He doesn't want to know. No one can force God to be a first person witness to all the vile actions that take place in gay bars…

Then how can God judge all sinful actions? And reward all good ones, such as Lot being distressed in his soul over the sins of Sodom, each day.
There are only about a million ways not the least of which is that we ourselves know what we have done. God is able to cause us to have perfect recall of every action we have ever engaged in if He wants and is able to read our thoughts and knows the intentions of our hearts. Or He could simply investigate for Himself as in the case of Sodom. The point is that anything He doesn't know, He can find out and find out rather easily.
Lee: … yet God is just in punishing sin, because even unbelievers participate in their sin, in their motives, and God bears sin, as well.

Clete: If they can't choose how can they participate! If an unbeliever cannot choose to sin, then how can God justly punish that sin?

Because they may well be able to choose in their motives, to some degree. Just as if I see a crime, and rejoice in it, I have sinned, though I did not actually act myself, in the crime.
Well, there's some progress at least! You have moved, ever so slightly from your previously stated position that unbelievers cannot choose their actions. This proves to me that you see the logic that demands that if one does not choose his actions, he is not responsible for those actions and any reward or punishment of such actions would be unjust. There is a chink in your armor Lee! Don't ignore it, explore it! It's there for a reason, and it's the closest you've been to understanding who God is since I've had the pleasure of knowing you.

Well that's enough for now. There was a little more to your post but this thing is ridiculously long as it is so lets just let the rest go for now shall we?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm sure my post, tiny relative to all the large posts in this thread, just got lost. But I'm interested in your understanding from a reformed perspective. So here it is again.

Okay. Actually a simple yes or no is very effective in forum debate. But it isn't a requirement, and your longer answer was clear enough; we agree that man has no right to judge God.

So the next part of the question: do you agree that man has the ability to judge God? And I don't mean the ability to carry out a judgment on God, but to form a judgment on God?

Rolf Ernst

Yorzhik--RE: your #1927 post. Of course men form judgements of God, but to percieve Him as other than what He is in truth is to create a false God of Him in one's mind--the #1 offence against God listed in Romans one: "because that when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful, but became vain in their imaginations..."

"vain in their imaginations": Men may say they believe in Christ, but if what they believe ABOUT Christ is not in alignment with Scripture, they are entering into idolatry--beginning to form incorrect ideas concerning Christ and so they are then worshipping not the Christ of Scripture, but a christ of their own imagination; and the scripture speaks very plainly that men, by their OWN "imaginations," their own understanding, reason, or logic CANNOT properly perceive Him. AND it is so by God's own wisdom who purposed it to be that way--"...in the WISDOM of God, the world by wisdom did not know God." "Who by searching can find out God?"

That means God has limited us to the revelation He has given us of Himself in Scripture--including, of course, the testimony of Scripture concerning Christ. Therefore, if we form some "judgement" which is not confirmed by Scripture, IT IS FALSE. So the prophet said, "to the law and to the testimony. If they speak not according to this, there is NO TRUTH in them."

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst
Yorzhik--RE: your #1927 post. Of course men form judgements of God…
Thanks for the straight answer. Moving forward; was God locked into an overarching design at creation? In other words: could God have created something other than He did while He was creating, or what was designed could have been designed another way on the fly? In other words: Did God have the freedom, or shall we say the free will, to have made things in any particular way that He chose as He was creating? Or to ask the same question from another direction; was God locked into the design He foresaw before creation?

So to recap, man has no right to judge God, but man has the ability to judge God. And what we'd next like to know from the reformed perspective is if God had the ability to create with free will.

Rolf Ernst

Yorzhik--God was not "locked into" anything as if necessitated by anything--either exterior laws or beings--other than His own good pleasure; and according to His own good pleasure, with infinite wisdom, He foreordained ALL things which would come to pass, yet in such a manner as to neither deprive man of free will, nor be guilty Himself of being less than always infinitely holy and just.

There are many who, from lack of understanding, say this is not possible but the scripture testifies to the truths above; and when people have learned to hold their own tongue to learn from God, He can enlighten their eyes to the way these seemingly contradictory things are resolved by His wisdom for His own glory and the good of His people.

The first mistake people make when they consider these things is that they FAIL TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE FALLEN ESTATE OF MAN.

Secondly, they do not properly consider the fact that man fell as a consequence of his own free will.

Thirdly, they are stubbornly and willingly ignorant of the fact that all men fell as a consequence of Adam's sin AND ARE ACCOUNTABLE TO GOD FOR ALL THE INABILITY WHICH CAME UPON THEM AS A CONSEQUENCE OF ADAM'S SIN and that God is therefore just to demand of them no less than the fullness of the rectitude of which Adam was capable prior to his fall. The corruption of Adam and his children did not in any degree lessen the standard which the infinitely holy God required of His creatures. Weakness of the creature in no way lowers God's standard. The Lord Jesus Christ was God's standard before the foundation of the world, and Christ is NO LESS HIS STANDARD TODAY. Therefore God has the RIGHT to address man as if he WERE capable AND require of man that he PERFORM ACCORDING TO THAT STANDARD EVEN THOUGH MAN IS INCAPABLE.

Fourthly, they then begin to attribute to God the SAME EVIL
MOTIVES WHICH DRIVE THE WICKED as they execute that which God has foreordained for His infinitely holy and just reason. Their doctrine impels them to this position. Refusing to acknowledge the difference between the motives of the wicked and God's holy motives and just PURPOSES in all those same things which come to pass is their last stand against God having ordained all things which come to pass.

Though their deeds are foreordained by God FOR HIS HOLY AND JUST PURPOSE, yet the MOTIVATIONS with which those wicked men act do NOT issue from God, but from the hearts of men just as Jesus said--"for from WITHIN, from OUT OF THE HEARTS OF MEN PROCEED..." There are NUMEROUS--numerous--instances in the Bible of God, with pure and holy motives, using (having from everlasting ordained) the deeds which evil men do with wicked motivations for His own glory and pure motivations.

Neither does God FORCE men to work wickedness. He merely does not restrain the wickedness which they of their own will fall into when God does not by His unmerited favor uphold them from the evil of THEIR OWN NATURE (see Romans one, Psalm 81:11-13)
Therefore, it is true, as the Psalmist said, "even the wrath of man will praise thee and the REMAINDER of wrath you WILL restrain." (CAPS MINE) The verse above,

"The wrath of man............................................will praise you and
the remainder of wrath...................................you will restrain."

expresses exactly the situation which without fail prevails in regard to the fallen world and God's purposes just as it is said in other places..."Who is he who says and it comes to pass when the LORD has not commanded it?" "Whatsoever the LORD pleased that did He in heaven and in earth, in the seas and all deep places."

Last edited:

Rolf Ernst

Yes, Yorzhik, God made man in His own image and a part of that image is His will; that is, man is a volitional creature; and God created man upright, capable of willing always that which was right; but when Adam sinned, he lost an aspect of his will. He did not lose his volitional nature, but he lost his ability to will that which is morally right in regard to God. That is seen in his bondage to sin, the bondage of which Christ came to set men free.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Yes, Yorzhik, God made man in His own image and a part of that image is His will; that is, man is a volitional creature; and God created man upright, capable of willing always that which was right; but when Adam sinned, he lost an aspect of his will. He did not lose his volitional nature, but he lost his ability to will that which is morally right in regard to God. That is seen in his bondage to sin, the bondage of which Christ came to set men free.

Total depravity is not total inability. He commands men everywhere to repent and believe. If this was impossible, it would be unjust to condemn us for something we cannot do that He expects us to do. He draws and convinces and enables, but He does not coerce or cause. We can respond to Him or we can reject/resist Him. The 'bondage of the will' is Augustinian-Lutheran, not explicitly biblical. The image of God is defaced, not totally erased.

Rolf Ernst

Godrulz-- You are right for saying God's image is defaced, not totally erased. There remains much good in mankind--enough so that he can feel compassion for others and may by hailed by his fellow citizens as a good man who is an asset to his community. He may, though an unbeliever, even live by a strict moral code BUT he never in himself, even in his best moment, measure up to the standard by which God measures men. Even at his best, his works are unacceptable to God. Though he may do works which are outwardly commendable, "God weighs the heart" of man and, apart from Christ, the works he does he does not do with a pure motive in service to God and for God's glory. Even as Christians, our works are acceptable to Him ONLY through the mediatorial office of Christ who makes them acceptable to the Father. AND no unbeliever has Christ as his mediator. Therefore his prayers are not acceptable to God neither are his works more than wood, hay, and stubble.

He does NOT receive the things of the spirit of God, "neither can he know them." And you can take that to the bank. Except a man "be born again" he CANNOT see the kingdom of God. If you are a Christian it is not so because of what YOU did in regard to Christ, but because of what Christ did in regard to you--"You hath He quickened who WERE DEAD in trespasses and sins." (caps mine)

It is not uncommon for people to object, "Well, what about Cornelius?" It is one matter for God to have knowledge of someone's prayers of ignorance and another matter for his prayers to be heard by God through the Mediator. There were many in Israel who made long prayers, but God did not take a singular interest in others as He did in Cornelius. It is simply a matter of Cornelius having been chosen by God, and just as it happened with the Ethiopian eunuch, when it "Pleased God," as Paul said, they were visited by emissaries from heaven.

Last edited:

Rolf Ernst

Godrulz--I failed to address your statement that the defaced image of God did not mean total inability. While the image of God partly remains, man IS TOTALLY INCAPACITATED in regards to doing that which God requires of him. Man himself does not, apart from God's power, either repent or believe. Both are gifts of God. There is a repentance of the world, and there is a Godly repentance that brings salvation not to be repented of. Both FAITH AND TRUE REPENTANCE ARE GIFTS OF GOD.

"Blessed is the man whom you chose and CAUSE to approach unto you that he may dwell in your courts."

"Turn us again, oh God, and we shall be turned!"

"No man can come to me except the Father which has sent me draw him, and I will raise him up."

"I have loved you with an everlasting love, therefore with loving kindness have I drawn thee."

When Ezekiel spoke to the dry bones, did they come to life? No! It was only after he prophesied to the wind and it breathed upon the slain that they lived. Think: "The wind bloweth where it listeth. You hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from or where it goes. SO IS EVERYONE WHO IS BORN OF THE SPIRIT." Similarly, Paul said to the Thessalonians, in effect--being confident of your election because our gospel came unto you not in WORD only, but in Spirit and in power.

The Holy Spirit regenerates, and when He regenerates He brings forth one who believes in Christ and repents. "If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature."

Last edited:

lee_merrill

Hi Clete,

Thanks for your response…

Lee: Well, if it's a prediction and it's the truth, then it's sure! But I don't think the other meanings fit here and elsewhere…

Clete: This whole paragraph is utter stupidity and non responsive to the argument. No response is warranted.

Well, sir, how so? If an unconditional prediction is the truth, then it will certainly happen! How is that stupidity?

If the other meanings do indeed fit, then your job, should you choose to accept it(!), is to tell me what "You will not surely die" meant, how the serpent was erasing the underline here, if that's all "You will surely die" was. That will advance the discussion.

Lee: Then Jesus had every intention of Peter denying him? I don't think this will do, Clete. These "surely" predictions are not speaking of an intent, but simply of an event.

Clete: This ignores the point of the argument and responds to a point which was not made. Again, no response is warranted.

Well, here was your point: "Now, did you lie when you promised to take him to the park after dinner? NO! You had every intention of taking him…"

So my response is "Jesus' prediction was not about an intent, but about an event." When we try to make this refer to Jesus' intent, we get into difficulty, it seems. That was my point, now it is your turn to show me how Jesus' prediction indeed expressed an intent on his part. But no throwing dust in the air!

Lee: How else can the law be fulfilled, if men do not obey it? And can't a person lose rewards?

2 John 1:8 Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for…

Clete: What if every last single person still alive rebelled against God and refused to obey His law? What would happen? Would the law disappear? Would the law not be fulfilled?

The law would not disappear, but I do not see how it would be fulfilled, if everyone disobeyed it. Do please tell me how it would be fulfilled! I still don't see it.

Clete: Why, if God explicitly said that He would repent, as He did in Jer. 18, do you object when He does so?

Lee: Because sometime he doesn't! And he won't … Just because I sometimes change my mind, does that mean I can never make it up?

Clete: I've never said that God doesn't make up His mind, He does! But that wasn't what I asked was it?

I thought it was being stated that Jer. 18 means all God's statements of intent are conditional. Glad if you don't hold that! I agree, God can indeed make unconditional statements of intent, that will certainly not change, which still fits with Jer. 18.

Matthew 13:17 For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

Lee: Well, what else can [Matthew 13:17] mean, if it doesn't mean "this is really a true statement"? This means "I mean what I say (at the moment)"? Only it can't mean that here, or else Jesus might be mistaken about the past, while saying "Truly"…

And again, the translators are all mistaken, when they use words and phrases such as "Truly," "Assuredly," "I tell you the truth," instead of "This is important," or some similar words.

Clete: Simply restates you previously stated and refuted position and is unresponsive to any point I've ever made … attempts to put words into my mouth which were never said.

Well, are the translators not wrong to use such phrases, then? They do indicate more than an underline. If you just skip my point and don't respond to it, I shall just bring it up again until you do! And as far as the first point, let's try "It is important that many prophets longed to see what you see." That doesn't fit either, I think. Your job here is to show me which of the meanings you have suggested do apply here! Please and thank you, that will save me from having to suggest them myself.

It doesn't make Jesus a liar! Who ever suggested that?

Clete mentioned that! "No! If this were so, then Jesus would be a liar!" (post 1877)

And Jesus is God, Lee! Of course He would be disappointed in Peter having denied Him!

If he predicted it?! Disappointment is when your expectations are not met.

In a sting operation where a person is forced or tricked into committing the crime against their own freely choice, it is called entrapment and it is fundamentally unjust!

Then sting operations are done with people who are unlikely to fall for it?

Lee: It does give some primary responsibility to God, if he sees an evil deed being done, and he could stop it, and he doesn't. I think you are the one avoiding the point, here!

Clete: If so, then why am I the one responding substantively to your arguments and you're the one who simply restates his position over and over again without ever addressing the arguments made against it?

But what is your response here, or previously, Clete, may I ask? At least you could give me a quick summary (or refer to post #such-and-such).

Clete: What view? I will not defend an undefined position that you think I must have.

The view that all (most? some? I'm not actually sure of the extent here) of God's ultimate purposes will certainly be accomplished, how would you demonstrate that, by using Scripture?

Lee: Lee: No, the point is that if God sets out to save someone, and doesn't save them, then that's a defeat, whether or not it was possible for him to fail.

Clete: In that case the Bible depicts many such defeats.

That was all I was asking, if you would hold to that.

On and on and on we could go, multiplying examples of where God wanted one thing and got the precise opposite so if you want to call God a loser, you go right ahead, but don't you dare accuse me of saying any such thing.

To be defeated is to lose, though, is it not?

Lee: Lee: I agree! Then does God know how he would act, in any completely described situation?

Clete: What situation could be "completely described"?

Just by mapping out all possible free-will decisions, we then have a tree representing all possible situations, completely described. That is the invincible chess master analogy, actually, it seems to me. So then does God not know how he would respond, if you take that pawn?

Lee: I do know you believe that! But here is an implication that I think counters this view, that a promise could be both clearly conditional and clearly unconditional.

Clete: Have you ever heard of the law of non-contradiction?

But how is my view contradictory? Parents do this all the time! "If you clean up your room, you can go to the circus." Knowing full well they will immediately clean up their room! Thus the promise was in a sense, both conditional and unconditional. I think your view entails a contradiction, which is why I'm so insistent in pointing this out.

Lee: Swearing implies allegiance though, does it not? Certainly more than just a physical motion.

Clete: NO! The Bible does not say that everyone will swear allegiance to the Lord…

But it does, doesn't it?

Isaiah 45:23 By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in righteousness a word that shall not return: 'To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance.' (ESV and NLT; NAS and NAU have "allegiance" in italics, also indicating they think that is the meaning).

What about David himself? What if he had not repented of his evil deeds and turned his back on the Lord before he every bore a single child? What then? Do you think that God would have panicked or something? NO! He would have responded accordingly just as he did with King Saul… God is not a slave to His own words regardless of the evil actions of men. This the whole point of Jer. 18.

But then God didn't carry out a promise that he swore by himself he would fulfill (Ps. 89:35)! We just agreed that he would do that, though.

Jeremiah 44:26 But hear the word of the Lord, all Jews living in Egypt: 'I swear by my great name,' says the Lord, 'that no one from Judah living anywhere in Egypt will ever again invoke my name or swear, "As surely as the Sovereign Lord lives."

What if they repented? And then swore "The Lord lives" again?

Genesis 22:16-17 "I swear by myself, declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore."

This will also possibly not happen?

Lee: How is Jer. 18 telling us whether God can predict people's responses, though? That is my question here.

Clete: What's the point in warning someone not to do something that you know for a fact that they are going to do?

Because Jer. 18 is not addressing a specific situation, Clete. "If you go on this business, trip, I shall visit aunt Margaret, if you do not go on it, I will work in the yard." This does not tell us if I can predict if you will go on this trip, though. My telling you this might even be part of ensuring that you decide one particular way!

Clete: Your rebellion [in heaven] is impossible because God cannot be unfaithful to Himself.

Lee: Yes, that's what I believe, and why can't that be true on earth, as well?

Clete: Umm, what?

Why can't God's faithfulness prevent people from falling away here on earth?

Clete: It means what it says but is a general statement and must be taken as such.

Lee: Then we have "The Lord perhaps foils the plans of the nations; he at times is able to thwart the purposes of the peoples. But the plans of the Lord stand somewhat firm forever, various purposes of his heart through all (generally speaking) generations."

Clete: I said that it means what it says. If you do this even one more time, our conversation will be over. You will respond to the points that I actually make not to your made up fantasy arguments.

This was your point, though, was it not? "This is a general statement," thus it doesn't mean "The Lord always foils the plans of the nations," thus it must be less than certain ("perhaps"), he may not be able to thwart every cross-purpose people have (isn't this the Open View?), his plans are then indeed not firm forever, not all the purposes of his heart will be carried out, certainly not through all generations. Where have I misrepresented your statement here?

Clete: The text doesn't say that God brought the animals to Adam to see if there was a suitable helper and so your point is moot. It sure enough does say though that He brought them to see what Adam would call them.

I agree that God was not looking to see if there was a suitable helper among the animals. How can this not apply to God seeing what Adam would call them, though? I realize this is not your interpretation! How is it that this is not a possible explanation, though? That is what was being addressed here, the point was being made (as I seem to recall) that no real explanation was ever given here, people would just say "Well God wasn't wondering!" and leave it at that.

Lee: I believe God was speaking from Adam's perspective, as in "What will you wear to the party?" knowing full well it will be the new Christmas outfit.

Clete: Unresponsive. What does it mean, Lee? What does it mean?

As if God asked "What will you call this one, Adam?" Knowing it would be designated a platypus, and thus speaking from his perspective, as in the next verse.

Lee: And this is not even about the present, it's about the past! "If they have done…" Doesn't God know all about the past?

Clete: God does not have to know something that He doesn't want to know.

Lee: Then how can God judge all sinful actions?

Clete: God is able to cause us to have perfect recall of every action we have ever engaged in … The point is that anything He doesn't know, He can find out and find out rather easily.

So then God doesn't know all about the past! This is no longer Open View, though, I think.

Lee: … they may well be able to choose in their motives, to some degree.

Clete: Well, there's some progress at least! You have moved, ever so slightly from your previously stated position that unbelievers cannot choose their actions. This proves to me that you see the logic that demands that if one does not choose his actions, he is not responsible for those actions and any reward or punishment of such actions would be unjust. There is a chink in your armor Lee!

I don't mind! My armor is for defense from other beings than people, and other problems than posts…

Blessings,
Lee

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Rolf: I agree with many of your ideas in principle. I would also add motive as an issue relating to the heart.

We differ in that I believe repentant faith precedes regeneration vs regeneration precedes faith (though they are simultaneous practically).

Rolf Ernst

Godrulz--I expect that you agree that repentance and faith are so simultaneous that the time between them is immeasurable. The Bible speaks of BOTH of them as being gifts. I think maybe I disagree with you to a point, however.

In particular--do you agree with me that people neither repent nor believe before God GIVES THEM those gifts??

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Godrulz--I expect that you agree that repentance and faith are so simultaneous that the time between them is immeasurable. The Bible speaks of BOTH of them as being gifts. I think maybe I disagree with you to a point, however.

In particular--do you agree with me that people neither repent nor believe before God GIVES THEM those gifts??

Verses for gifts?

Eph. 2:8-10 is difficult grammatically. I believe salvation is the gift of God, not faith. Faith involves mental assent, knowledge, and trust. It is a volitional response to truth and persuasion. It is expressed in loving obedience. We love because He first loved us. We believe because He reveals truth, convinces, convicts, etc. Faith in not passive, coerced, or causative from God. If it was, God should give it to everyone, not just a so-called elect. Love and justice is impartial.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Lee,

I want to continue our discussion but these posts are just too long. I'm wondering if you would be willing to do something that is a bit out of the ordinary but would serve to focus our discussion and shorten our posts (at least for a while anyway).

If you are willing, please pick just a few (2 or 3) primary points you would most like for me to address. If you want you could even reformulate the point into the form of a question or statement or whatever. I'll respond to those points and we'll just agree to let the rest drop for now. It's not like we can't revisit some of the other stuff later if we want but this way we can continue without having to commit so much time to a single response.

Let me know what you think, I'm open to other suggestions if you have any.

Resting in Him,
Clete

lee_merrill

Hi Clete,

You mean you don't spend every single moment of your free time on TOL? And actually, this discussion really should be in the "Open Theism makes me hair stand on end" thread, not this one.

But here are the main points I would raise, and feel free to move this discussion if you wish…

What specific meaning may we assign to "truly" in certain specific places, for example, in "you will deny me three times" (Mt. 26:34; Jn. 13:38), and in "another will gird you" in referring to Peter's death, which would glorify God (Jn. 21:18-19)?

Does God have a share in primary responsibility, when he sees an evil deed about to be committed, and chooses not to stop it?

When God swears by himself that he has a given intent to bring some event to pass (Gen. 22:16-17; Ps. 89:35; Jer. 44:26), is it certain, even in view of Jer. 18?

Also I am somewhat concerned that you seem to be holding that God doesn't know all about the past, in order to say God went down to Sodom to find out the situation there more exactly. Is God not omnipresent? Doesn't the Open View hold that omniscience means God knows all that can be known? This gives up two major attributes of God's nature, here…

Blessings,
Lee

Last edited: