are you a feminist?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
we all know who you blame

We ... as in you and the voices in your head? You know nothing ... or are either not honest enough to admit what we all know as being true.

Feminism is a REACTION. I understand that it bothers you that women are allowed to have a say in what goes on in the world around us as well as how we are treated.

:carryon:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
He STILL pretends to not understand this. I don't deny that some have taken Feminism to an extreme.

What Chrys refuses to admit is that feminism WAS a reaction to being treated like a second class citizens.

I'm reading a book right now called A Strange Stirring; The Feminine Mystique and American Women at the Dawn of the 1960s by Stephanie Coontz. I just started it a couple nights ago, and here are some relevant quotes but they're only the tip of the iceberg:

"In 1972, the New York Times carried a story about a woman who could not rent an apartment until her husband, a patient in a mental hospital, signed the lease.

In many states, a woman was obliged to take her husband's surname. In some she could not return to her maiden name after divorce unless, under the fault-based divorce system, she had proven that he was "at fault." A woman who did not change the name on her driver's license or voter registration upon marriage could have it revoked until she did....

At least five staes required women to receive court approval before opening a business in their own name. In Florida, a married woman who wished to operate a business independently of her husband had to present a petition that attested to "her character, habits, education and mental capacity for business" and explain why her "disability" to conduct a business should be removed...

... if a single woman with her own credit card got married, they insisted that her husband become the legal account holder...

In issuing a mortgage or a loan, a wife's income was taken into consideration only if she was at least forty years old or could present proof that she had been sterilized. Until 1967, if a married female veteran applied for a Veterans Administration loan, her own income was not considered in determining the couple's credit risk...

One seemingly glamorous job for women in the early 1960s was that of stewardess, but many airline companies required women to quit work upon marriage, and all insisted that they could not work after having a child. Women were expected to resign as soon as they became pregnant. When one airline discovered that a stewardess had kept her child a secret for three years while she continued working,they offered her the choice of resigning or putting her child in an orphanage...

The advertisements in the Sunday New York Times of April 7, 1963... "Secretary (attrac) ... good typ & steno; "Pretty-looking, cheerful gal for Mad Ave agcy"; Exec Secy... Attractive please!" A particularly demanding employer stipulated "you must be really beautiful."

The book goes on to describe the social stigma faced by a woman who bore a child out of wedlock: "If a woman did keep a child [not being pressured to go away to 'visit relatives' and put the baby up for adoption], she and her child faced legal as well as social discrimination. Many companies refused to hire unwed mothers. Children born out of wedlock had the word "illegitimate" stamped on their birth certificates and school records...

There was seldom justice for women who were raped. Most state penal codes permitted defense lawyers to impeach a woman's testimony by introducing evidence of previous consensual sex or claiming she had "invited" the rape by wearing "revealing clothes" or "tight" dresses. Many judges required corroboration that was almost impossible to achieve, such as having an eyewitness testify to the rape. In North Caroline, an older man could not be convicted of the statutory rape of a young girl if he could convince a judge or jury she had not been a virgin.

The law did not recognize that a married woman could be raped by her husband. Once a woman said "I do," she was assumed to have said "I will" for the rest of her married life. The courts held that the marriage vows implied consent to intercourse. Not until 1975 did the first state -South Dakota - make spousal rape a crime. North Caroline did not do so until 1993.

Many state also did not take domestic violence seriously, often requiring police officers to see a man assault his wife before they could make an arrest. In some places, the police used the "stitch rule," arresting an abusing husband only if the wife's injuries required more than a certain number of sutures. Until 1981, Pennsylvania still had a law against a husband beating his wife after 10 PM on Sunday, implying that the rest of the time she was fair game.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Interesting read ... it really puts things into perspective.

What do you want to bet that Chrys will not read it?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I have explained some of the same things to him previously that that the article mentioned, and he really is not interested.

He'd be interested if they voted Republican.

And you know, when I was typing that list, as discriminatory as it is, I was thinking of the women in developing countries where their situation is desperately oppressive. I don't just want equal human rights for women in the west, I want them for all women.

resodko

BANNED
Banned

And you know, when I was typing that list, as discriminatory as it is, I was thinking of the women in developing countries where their situation is desperately oppressive. I don't just want equal human rights for women in the west, I want them for all women.

why not all people?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

As do I.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the democratic party should be destroyed simply because it supports abortion
and
the only way to do that is to vote republican
now
we all have issues with republicans
and
the only way to deal with that is to vote tea party in the republican primaries

it is that simple

rexlunae

the democratic party should be destroyed simply because it supports abortion
and
the only way to do that is to vote republican

Voting Republican will never destroy the Democratic Party. The way that our elections work guarantees a two-party system. And your real problem is that a sizeable portion of the American electorate supports abortion rights. As long as there's a party that's (pretending to be) against abortion rights, there will be a party that's for them, unless the people of the country change their minds.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
That's kinda true. But my point is that you can't actually destroy one of the two main parties.

it only takes 51%
look at wisconsin a blue state
walker only needed 51% to take on the unions and win
all you have to do is show what they are doing
do you think the democratic party can survive without the unions?