are you a feminist?

staind.raindrop

you could say tea party people are stereotyped
but
I haven't noticed any reluctance by most to say whether or not they support them

There are big differences in the stereotypes here and I have a hard time believing you really don't see them. What stereotype would you rather identify with, being rich or being maniacal?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
But therein lies the point. The term 'feminist' means squat in itself as it's nothing but a label without some sort of parameters or definition to work with. This is why Chrys has been asked to provide some as it's just a pointless question to answer without. Some people will consider one to be a 'feminist' solely for supporting the rights of women to vote. Does that necessarily make somebody one? No. I support equal opportunities for both men and women so by other folk's standards that would make me a feminist also. It's a label I'm neither reluctant to avoid or bothered about embracing as essentially it's just that - a pointless label - to match a pointless thread.

then why didn't you just say
"I am a feminist and proud of it"
thirty seven posts ago

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are big differences in the stereotypes here and I have a hard time believing you really don't see them. What stereotype would you rather identify with, being rich or being maniacal?

Chrys considers any woman (and apparently man) who disagrees with him a feminist. Then he tells us what we think.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
feminism is a fringe group
most want to ignore what they do
many are intimidated by the members as well as by those who oppose them
so
many will be upset when asked to take a stand regarding this

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
feminism is a fringe group
most want to ignore what they do
many are intimidated by the members as well as by those who oppose them
so
many will be upset when asked to take a stand regarding this

Prove it. You have insinuated that certain women here are feminists.

List us one by one and tell us what we *do*. You know, literally. Give examples, times and dates and witnesses.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wrong ... anti-abortion feminist here. You don't get to determine who is what because your words and motives are suspect.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
how can a feminist be pro life?

How can a Republican be pro life?

According to your narrow view of the world, they cannot.

So tell you what, let's just leave it at this ...

All Republicans are pro-abortion in the same way all feminists are pro-abortion.

So Chrys, what do you have against unborn babies?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I did not say that feminists are the only people who are against stereotypes. I was saying that the word feminist comes with extreme stereotypes. Since feminists in general are trying to be free of stereotypes in the first place, it makes sense that they are hesitant in identifying with the stereotypical identity people associate with the title.

I agree with this.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
But therein lies the point. The term 'feminist' means squat in itself as it's nothing but a label without some sort of parameters or definition to work with. This is why Chrys has been asked to provide some as it's just a pointless question to answer without. Some people will consider one to be a 'feminist' solely for supporting the rights of women to vote. Does that necessarily make somebody one? No. I support equal opportunities for both men and women so by other folk's standards that would make me a feminist also. It's a label I'm neither reluctant to avoid or bothered about embracing as essentially it's just that - a pointless label - to match a pointless thread.

I don't agree with this.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Quit misrepresenting people if you do not wish to correspond with them.