ARE WE TO CONFESS JESUS WITH OUR MOUTH ?

DougE

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

The above verses are directed to Jews. Salvation for Israel was not in the law but faith in the risen Jesus.

In the following verse the topic is Israel's salvation.

Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

While Romans 10:9-10 are verses often used for salvation, in Romans 10:1 it is evident Paul is dealing only with Israel in this chapter and in those verses.

In the verses below Paul is speaking of the righteousness of faith in Jesus Christ:

Romans 10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above ).

10:7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; Romans 10:6-8

It can be seen that the above verses are related to the verses below from Deuteronomy, spoken to Israel.

Deuteronomy 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.

30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?

30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?

30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

Confession of Jesus as the Christ, the Messiah, and the Son of God for Israel was required following faith and trust in him. This is similar to what we find in Romans 10:10; confession was required for salvation to enter the prophetic kingdom on earth.

Below is what Jesus said of confession.

Matthew 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

If believing Israel did not confess Jesus, they would not get the blessing of entrance into the kingdom.

Many Jews believed on Jesus to eternal life but did not publicly confess him as Christ, the Son of God for fear.

John 9:22 These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue.

John 12:42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:

In 1 John Israel is to confess Jesus as the Son of God.

1 John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

In Romans 9 through 11 Paul is speaking of the election of grace and the believing remnant of Israel. It is the believing remnant of Israel that is to confess the Lord Jesus as can be seen from the verses in Romans 9:24-29 and Romans 11:5.

Bradley D

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" (Mt. 28:19),

We as disciples are to continue to make disciples of all nations.

God's Truth

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

The above verses are directed to Jews. Salvation for Israel was not in the law but faith in the risen Jesus.

Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

While Romans 10:9-10 are verses often used for salvation, in Romans 10:1 it is evident Paul is dealing only with Israel in this chapter and in those verses.

In the verses below Paul is speaking of the righteousness of faith in Jesus Christ:

Romans 10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above ).

10:7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; Romans 10:6-8

It can be seen that the above verses are related to the verses below from Deuteronomy, spoken to Israel.

Deuteronomy 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.

30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?

30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?

30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

Confession of Jesus as the Christ, the Messiah, and the Son of God for Israel was required following faith and trust in him. This is similar to what we find in Romans 10:10; confession was required for salvation to enter the prophetic kingdom on earth.

Matthew 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

If believing Israel did not confess Jesus, they would not get the blessing of entrance into the kingdom.

Many Jews believed on Jesus to eternal life but did not publicly confess him as Christ, the Son of God for fear.

John 9:22 These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue.

John 12:42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:

1 John 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

In Romans 9 through 11 Paul is speaking of the election of grace and the believing remnant of Israel. It is the believing remnant of Israel that is to confess the Lord Jesus as can be seen from the verses in Romans 9:24-29 and Romans 11:5.

We have to call on Jesus' name after repenting of sins.

Acts 2:21 And everyone whocalls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

Acts 9:14 And now he is here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on Your name.

Acts 9:21 But all that heard him were amazed, and said; Is not this he that destroyed them which called on this name in Jerusalem, and came hither for that intent, that he might bring them bound unto the chief priests?

Acts 22:16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name

Paul began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God. All those who heard him were astonished and asked, “Isn’t he the man who raised havoc in Jerusalem among those who call on this name? And hasn’t he come here to take them as prisoners to the chief priests?

Romans 10:13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

1 Corinthians 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."

2 Timothy 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Luke 6:46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?

Matthew 7:21 Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

DougE

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" (Mt. 28:19),

We as disciples are to continue to make disciples of all nations.

The verse you provided was directed to the eleven disciples not to us the body. They were to preach the gospel of the kingdom, not the gospel of the grace of God.

DougE

We have to call on Jesus' name after repenting of sins.

Acts 2:21 And everyone whocalls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

Acts 9:14 And now he is here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on Your name.

Acts 9:21 But all that heard him were amazed, and said; Is not this he that destroyed them which called on this name in Jerusalem, and came hither for that intent, that he might bring them bound unto the chief priests?

Acts 22:16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name

Paul began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God. All those who heard him were astonished and asked, “Isn’t he the man who raised havoc in Jerusalem among those who call on this name? And hasn’t he come here to take them as prisoners to the chief priests?

Romans 10:13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

1 Corinthians 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."

2 Timothy 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Luke 6:46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?

Matthew 7:21 Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

The verses you gave from Acts were all given to Israel not the body of Christ.

The verses from Romans are in regard to the remnant of Israel.

1 Corinthians and 2 Timothy do not connect calling on the name and confess the name of the Lord with salvation as does Romans 10:9-10

Last edited:

God's Truth

The verses you gave from Acts were all given to Israel not the body of Christ.

That was said TO PAUL.
Paul is in the BODY OF CHRIST.
Israel is the body of Christ.

Paul repented and was water baptized and was also told to CALL ON JESUS' NAME.

BUT, YOU DON'T want others to do that too.

Why are you working against people being saved?

The verses from Romans are in regard to the remnant of Israel.
You have two mistakes when you say that.
One mistake is that you are dividing Christ; and, another mistake is you are teaching wrong about the scriptures.

1 Corinthians and 2 Timothy do not connect calling on the name and confess the name of the Lord with salvation as does Romans 10:9-10
Of course, it is the same gospel, the same message that saves.

You are wrong when you say that Paul is speaking against all people calling on the name of the Lord.
All have the choice to go against God or not.
You denying what is plainly written and dividing God's word here and there for these people and not those people is just bad.

Last edited:

God's Truth

They were to preach the gospel of the kingdom, not the gospel of the grace of God.

The gospel of the kingdom is the gospel of the grace of God.

God doesn't have a divided kingdom.

Can you imagine God going back and forth to different kingdoms?

The only division is between good and evil.

God's Truth

This is PETER speaking about what the old testament prophets said:

Acts 10:43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

EVERYONE IS EVERYONE.

Not just Gentiles and not just Jews.

It was prophesied that Gentiles would be saved, and it is the one and only gospel that would save through Jesus' name.

2 Samuel 22:50 Therefore I will praise you, LORD, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name.

Psalm 117:1 Praise the LORD, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples.

Apostle Paul even quotes Psalm 117:1 to let the Gentiles know that it IS THEM who are included when the Old Testament says NATIONS.

Romans 15:11 And again, "Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles; let all the peoples extol him."

Psalm 66:4 All the earth bows down to you; they sing praise to you, they sing the praises of your name."

John 4:42 They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.”

John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, takes away the sin of the world!

1 John 2:2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 John 4:14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.

ALL NATIONS, not just two or 12---ALL NATIONS.

Luke 24:46 He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things.

Luke 24:47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."

God's Truth

Jews first then Gentiles.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Romans 2:9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile;

Acts 3:26 When God raised up His servant, He sent Him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."

Acts 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: "We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles.

Acts 18:6 But when they opposed and insulted him, he shook out his garments and told them, "Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent of it. From now on I will go to the Gentiles."

When Jesus came to earth, he came for those who ALREADY BELONGED TO GOD BY FAITH.

Jesus came to make a NEW COVENANT based on faith and not on the old works of the law, the purification works.

Jesus came first for the Jews who already belonged to God by faith. IT DID NOT TAKE FAITH TO DO THE PURIFICATION WORKS of the OLD LAW.

Some Jews had faith and some did not.

God did not like it that a Jew could be without faith, yet do the purification works and still be called a child of God.

God said He would come and make a new covenant.

beloved57

What Jesus should be confessed ? Is it the One who its promised that He shall save His People from their sins ? Matt 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Because there is no other when Salvation is involved !

DougE

That was said TO PAUL.
Paul is in the BODY OF CHRIST.
Israel is the body of Christ.

Paul repented and was water baptized and was also told to CALL ON JESUS' NAME.

BUT, YOU DON'T want others to do that too.

Why are you working against people being saved?

You have two mistakes when you say that.
One mistake is that you are dividing Christ; and, another mistake is you are teaching wrong about the scriptures.

Of course, it is the same gospel, the same message that saves.

You are wrong when you say that Paul is speaking against all people calling on the name of the Lord.
All have the choice to go against God or not.
You denying what is plainly written and dividing God's word here and there for these people and not those people is just bad.

Ananias was devout according to the law (Acts 22:12) and baptized Paul according to the commandments under the law; this does not apply to us.

I did not say it was wrong to call on the name of the Lord; it would be in accord with Psalm 145:18. The issue is we should recognize that in Romans 10:13 Paul is speaking of the believing remnant as mentioned in Romans 10:12 as can be seen in Romans 10:19. I don't think this is the best verse to use in giving the gospel.

DougE

The gospel of the kingdom is the gospel of the grace of God.

God doesn't have a divided kingdom.

Can you imagine God going back and forth to different kingdoms?

The only division is between good and evil.

You can not find the gospel of the grace of God in the four gospels

The dispensation of grace Paul preached was given to him Ephesians 3:2

God's Truth

You can not find the gospel of the grace of God in the four gospels

The dispensation of grace Paul preached was given to him Ephesians 3:2

What you say is nonsense.

'Gospel' means 'good news'.

The gospel says Jesus is the good news and came with grace.

Think about the sin you speak when you say Jesus is not the good news and isn't the one who gave us grace by coming.

God's Truth

That they were commanded to preach to all nations does not prove they were preaching the gospel of the grace of God just like Paul

Of course they preached what Jesus taught.

Faith in Jesus for the forgiveness of sins and receiving the Holy Spirit.

God's Truth

Ananias was devout according to the law (Acts 22:12) and baptized Paul according to the commandments under the law; this does not apply to us.
No such thing as being baptized under the law.

It was a baptism of repentance of sins, and John preached it, Jesus preached it, and Paul preached it.

The old law was preached until John.

Wake up and get released.

Luke 16:16 "The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.

Luke 3:8 Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.

That is the exact thing Paul preached.

Acts 26:20 First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds
Acts 20:21
I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

Same thing Jesus preached.

Luke 13:3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

I did not say it was wrong to call on the name of the Lord; it would be in accord with Psalm 145:18. The issue is we should recognize that in Romans 10:13 Paul is speaking of the believing remnant as mentioned in Romans 10:12 as can be seen in Romans 10:19. I don't think this is the best verse to use in giving the gospel.

Calling on the name of the Lord is for EVERYONE.

DougE

No such thing as being baptized under the law.

It was a baptism of repentance of sins, and John preached it, Jesus preached it, and Paul preached it.

The old law was preached until John.

Wake up and get released.

Luke 16:16 "The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.

Luke 3:8 Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.

That is the exact thing Paul preached.

Acts 26:20 First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds
Acts 20:21
I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

Same thing Jesus preached.

Luke 13:3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

Calling on the name of the Lord is for EVERYONE.

The Law was not done away with as you seem to imply by citing Luke 16:16......look at the next verse Luke 16:17

Jesus did not abolish the law Matthew 5:17

God's Truth

The Law was not done away with as you seem to imply by citing Luke 16:16......look at the next verse Luke 16:17

Jesus did not abolish the law Matthew 5:17

The law was about Jesus, when Jesus came, he fulfilled it.
How was the law about Jesus? The law with the commandments was about Jesus and the ordinances that was given is the purification works in which one had to do to because the commandments were CONTAINED IN ORDINANCES are ALL about Jesus. The ORDINANCES were the PURIFICATION WORKS.
THE PURIFICATION WORKS WERE ABOUT CLEANING ONESELF, and NOW ONLY JESUS CLEANS US.

Jesus taught to BELIEVE IN HIM, HAVE FAITH IN HIM.

Have faith about what?

Believe that we have to obey Jesus now and have faith that HE CLEANS us of the sins we repent of doing.

It means we still have to obey God---we just don't have to observe special days, do various external baths, adhere, to a special diet, and get circumcised.

THOSE THINGS WERE NAILED TO THE CROSS BECAUSE JESUS TAUGHT BELIEVE IN HIM. BELIEVE IN HIM THAT HE CLEANS US NOW.

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Colossians 2:20 If you have died with Christ to the spiritual forces of the world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its regulations:

Ephesians 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Jesus NOT abolishing the law means WE STILL HAVE TO BE CLEANED, PURIFIED, JUSTIFIED, WASHED...BUT NOT by the old law----by the new law which Jesus taught while he walked the earth.

God's Truth

When Jesus had his earthly ministry, he was teaching something new, and it is to believe in him.

Believe in everything Jesus says to get to the Father.

Believe that Jesus FORGIVES SINS and WASHES us of the sins we repent of doing.

Believe that Jesus lives in our heart and that is reconciliation to God.

There is only one gospel for all from Jesus.