Are fairy tales good for children?

SwItChBlAdE

Reading is good for a young mind, it not only enhances the reader, it encourages positive dreaming, and gives a hope for their future! It’s a way to explore the big unknown world to them. Plus, reading fairy tales or not, young girls are always wanting to be a princesses, and boys always want to be the shining knight who chops off their heads.

Kate

So you are supposed to encourage them to read the fairy tales but tell them it's not true?

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Kate
So you are supposed to encourage them to read the fairy tales but tell them it's not true?

Well... yeah. If they're old enough to read, they should be old enough to separate fantasy from reality, don't you think? I mean, you don't have to tell them there ain't no Santa Claus yet, but you wouldn't want them to go to their grandmother's house thinking they're going to be eaten by the big bad wolf, either.

Last edited:

philosophizer

I guess you should ask, do you think you are any worse off having read fairy-tales in your own youth?

If the answer is yes, it is still not necessarily the fairy-tale that has to be removed. If you think a particular element in the stories are harmful when misconstrued, you can probably still allow the stories while educating the child about the truth about that element.

Kids are very good at figuring out things. And the more this ability is exercised, the better they will be. But they will need guidance during their learning.

My opinion is, let the kids read the stories. Or even better, read them with your kids. They're good for the imagination, comprehension, logical reasoning, and social literacy. The important part is to discuss the material with your kids. Then they can learn to judge the material for themselves instead of relying on you to do it for them.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kate
I think Cinderela was bad for the kids. What did we learn from it?
Big feet are bad?

:::ahem::: sorry.

lucybelle

TOL Princess
Hoorah for fairy tales! They teach valid moral lessons and encourage our imaginations!!!
I am a HUGE fairy tale fan! Even now- bring on Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty....I could watch them all day long...

mingus

The Sweetness
Fairy tales ? what if the tale isnt about fairys ?
is it still a fairy tale ?
but whatever they are, I like um, and I think that they are great entertainment for children as well as adults.

lucybelle

TOL Princess
hmm...I believe most 'fairy tales' DO have moral qualities to them... a great deal of them end with a deep heart touching lesson, Beauty and the Beast= True beauty is found within; Sleeping Beauty= True love endures all hardships; heck even Snow White preaches the value of innocence and kindness...you really can't say that they teach BAD morality...I've yet to find one that people can frown upon...they're like some good proverbs... useful.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SwItChBlAdE

THAT'S FUNNY! I thought it was if you dont have friends you could always buy a mouse and talk to it.
Yeah...I think that was more of what the author was going for.:D

SwItChBlAdE

What do you think 'three blind mice' is about?
With modern day technology there are ways to correctional eye surgery. Thus, we wont have to make fun of how the blind mice run. I think the moral of this story is… all farmers wives are mean. :D

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
With modern day technology there are ways to correctional eye surgery. Thus, we wont have to make fun of how the blind mice run. I think the moral of this story is… all farmers wives are mean. :D
LOL:D :thumb:

Kate

All fairy tales are about good and evil, the evil get punished and the good prevail; and they teach you to believe, "if you build it, they will come" type thing.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Only thing is "Three Blind Mice" is a nursery rhyme, not a fairy tale. :D