ARCHIVE: Telling a lie can be righteous!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Some people assert that lying is a sin. And I agree that lying CAN be sinful. But is lying ALWAYS sinful?

I assert lying is not necessarily a sin and in fact lying can be righteous!

I think we all agree that when your wife (or husband) asks... "How did you like the spinach pizza?" A good ol' white lie like... "The spinach pizza was great however did you think of that?" Is more than appropriate.

But what makes a righteous lie??

Imagine a German family hiding some jewish children in their basement hoping to save them from the Holocaust. Then imagine that the Nazi's come to the door on a tip that their are Jews at this location.

Which of the following is sinful?

A. Lying to the Nazi officers by telling them that there are no Jews in your basement.

or....

B. Telling the truth and allowing the Nazi officers to take away the hiding Jewish children in your basement so they can be slaughtered.

It is obvious in the above case telling the truth would be SINFUL!

In the Bible we read...
Exodus 1:15 Then the king of Egypt spoke to the Hebrew midwives, of whom the name of one was Shiphrah and the name of the other Puah; 16 and he said, “When you do the duties of a midwife for the Hebrew women, and see them on the birthstools, if it is a son, then you shall kill him; but if it is a daughter, then she shall live.”
The King of Egypt ordered the Hebrew midwives to murder baby Hebrew males at birth.

But the Hebrew midwives told a righteous lie to save babies!
Exodus 1:17 But the midwives feared God, and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the male children alive. 18 So the king of Egypt called for the midwives and said to them, “Why have you done this thing, and saved the male children alive?” 19 And the midwives said to Pharaoh, “Because the Hebrew women are not like the Egyptian women; for they are lively and give birth before the midwives come to them.” 20 Therefore God dealt well with the midwives, and the people multiplied and grew very mighty. 21 And so it was, because the midwives feared God, that He provided households for them.
God blessed the midwives for their righteous lie.

Some think that "Thou shall not lie" is one of the 10 commandments. It is not.
Exodus 20:16 “ You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
Bearing false witness is a type of lying but it is a specific type of lying that makes it sinful.

Lying is only sinful when the motivation is sinful.

Thoughts?

s9s27s54

Knight,

You're nuts! :D

I agree with the Hebrew women who didn't kill the Hebrew male children, but they were obeying God rather than man. As for those hiding the Jews from the Nazi's, these people were protecting the Jews. The Lord was using those people to protect His people.

And notice how I got right in and commented? Good for me.

GraceInMe

Delicate Flower
Banned
I think it is ok to lie in certain instances. I always tell my mother in law I am happy to see her!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by s9s27s54
Knight,

You're nuts! :D

I agree with the Hebrew women who didn't kill the Hebrew male children, but they were obeying God rather than man. As for those hiding the Jews from the Nazi's, these people were protecting the Jews. The Lord was using those people to protect His people.

And notice how I got right in and commented? Good for me.
So what are you saying???

Are you saying it would be wrong to lie to the NAZI's but RIGHT to tell the truth and turn over the Jewish children?

s9s27s54

Originally posted by Knight
So what are you saying???

Are you saying it would be wrong to lie to the NAZI's but RIGHT to tell the truth and turn over the Jewish children?
No. It's right to lie in certain instances, I guess. I don't think it would be rigtht to hand over the Jewish children.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by s9s27s54

No. It's right to lie in certain instances, I guess. I don't think it would be rigtht to hand over the Jewish children.
Oh... OK....

So we are in agreement?