ARCHIVE: Romans 8 and the Open View

Jaltus

In this thread, I plan on working my way through Romans 8 with a specific focus on how the OV can handle the chapter. I will look at grammatical and exegetical concepts, and finally integrate it into a theological whole. Once that is done, we shall see if one can hold to the OV and scripture at the same time.

I will start sometime tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaltus

Romans 8
1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,
2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man,
4 in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.

This section is obviously about how the law relates to the believer. We are set free from the law because Jesus set us free from the law of sin and death, meaning we no longer suffer under the constraints of trying to fulfill the law, nor do we need to worry about what will come in the hereafter.

The sinful nature is not part of the believer any more, at least not the governing part.

The law itself is righteous, but our inability to live up to the requirements of it are what make it a law of sin and death. Sin and death is our own fault, not the fault of the law itself.

The true believer, however, lives according to the Spirit, as will be picked up in the next section.

Jaltus

Romans 8
5 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.
6 The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;
7 the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so.
8 Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.
9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
10 But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.
11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

Here is the dichotomy between the sinful and the believer set in contrast. Those who follow Christ have their mind set on the things of the Spirit, for it is the Spirit which drives us. The Spirit gives us life and peace, and a mind set on life and peace.

The sinful are unable to please God in any way, but those filled by the Spirit are able to please God. Without the Spirit, you are not a Christian, plain and simple. The body is still dead, for it is corrupted by our sin, but the spirit within us is renewed, it is what is filled with the new life. It is not our own righteousness which gives us life in our spirits, but rather His righteousness given to us.

Life is a gift from God through the Spirit, not mortal life but life immortal, the life yet to come.

Jaltus

Romans 8
12 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation-- but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it.
13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live,
14 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.
15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."
16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.
17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs-- heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

The entire point of the argument so far is summed up in this, we have an obligation as people saved by Christ, but our obligation is to live by the Spirit and to put to death our sinful nature, nailing it to the cross.

It is by living in the Spirit, that mystical union with God, that we can be called "sons of God," those adopted by Him, bought by His blood. It is through His sacrifice that we are able to call God, "daddy," and it is through Him that we receive the gift of the Spirit indwelling.

We are co-heirs with Christ, we also inherit life eternal at the end, but we inherit suffering in the now.

Jaltus

Romans 8
18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.
19 The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed.
20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope
21 that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.
22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.
23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.
24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has?
25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

It is through the suffering of Christians that our inheritance can be made plain, though not necessarily the only way.

The final hope is not just the reconciliation of man, but the reconciliation of creation as well. For though man sinned, all of creation was cursed, and eagerly awaits the day the curse will be lifted.

We have but the firstfruits of the spirit now, but our blessed hope is to have the full Spirit then. What kind of hope do we have? one that is a future hope, a hope that is not yet (contrary to many preterists). What kind of hope is one that is already fulfilled? It is called history, not hope.

We are to wait for the time of ultimate fulfillment, and wait patiently, even eagerly.

Jaltus

Romans 8
26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.
27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

"In the same way" refers to the hope. So, just as our hope aids us, so does the Spirit. For our weakness is sin, and it is through our hope of future salvation (see I Peter) and through the work of the Spirit (see above) that we are able to overcome our sin nature. The Spirit intercedes before the very throne of God, making clear that which we feel in our hearts but are unable to articulate. God knows what the Spirit is communicating, for it is by God's will that the Spirit intercedes.

Verse 28 is the crux of the matter, in many respects. It is obviously referring to how God Himself works for us to get past our sin nature, but is that the limit of this? Doug Moo rightly notes in his commentary (Romans, NICNT, pg. 527) that there are numerous Jewish parallels to this phrase, most notably Rabbi Aqiba, "All the Almighty does, he does for good." This is something that shows an unlimited scope for this verse, meaning that it really does mean all things and not just all salvific things.

Verse 28 is also limited with respect to who gets the good from God's acts. It is specifically limited to those who are His servants, who are His children (see above, specifically 12-17). The calling language at the end of the verse it what draws us into 29-30.

The string of words in 29-30 present a situation that is specific to salvation, as it draws on the end of 28 which is limited to those who are saved. Thus, only single predestination in any form could be understood in this text. Next, it is a logical step from each word in the series to the next. He foreknew, then predestined, then called, then justified, then glorified. This makes sense because of the last three:

A person is first called, hit hard in the heart by God. Next, they become saved, which means they are justified. Finally, justification leads to glorification, which does mean an eschatological hope. If these three are in order, why wouldn't the other two be?

We shall return to this passage later.

Jaltus

Romans 8
31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?
32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all-- how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?
33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies.
34 Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died-- more than that, who was raised to life-- is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
36 As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Nobody can stand against us if God is on our side, for God already knows what will happen (28-30). God will give us all things, including salvation and glory. We have no right to bring charges against God, for it is He who makes us innocent in the first place. In fact, Christ Himself is the one who condemns those who reject the truth, the only perfect one to ever live, but who intercedes for Christians.

Thus, nothing outside of us can keep us from His love. Though we face persecution, we overcome through His love, the love of the one who overcame before us. In no way can anyone keep us from Him, or bar the way to Him.

Jaltus

Explanation of the Open View

Explanation of the Open View

The Open View of God is a system that acknowledges God's total knowledge of the past and present, but denies Him having exhaustive knowledge of the future (EDF, Exhaustive Divine/Definite Foreknowledge). God is only able to know in advance that which He Himself will cause. He cannot know the actions of a free moral agent, for the free moral agent does not know what it will do next.

Because the future is determined by free moral agents making choices, it is not possible for God to know most of the future. He can make plans, but He can be thwarted in those plans as well. Free agents can do other than God wishes them to, but He leaves them free because that is the greater good.

Jaltus

Conclusion

Conclusion

Here is the problem, then: how can one hold to the Open View, denying EDF, and yet still hold to Romans 8 as being authoritative, especially 8:28?

As has been explained, verse 28 clearly shows that God is working such that all believers have the good worked out for them.

29-30 also show how God knew beforehand who would be a believer and who would not, even before the choice itself was made.

The question is, then, does God know the future, namely these free choices, or not?

If one is going to hold to this passage as authoritative, one is not able to hold to the Open View. Let me explain it this way:

In the Open View, God's plans can be defeated. Romans 8:28 clearly says that all things that happen work for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. That means that, according to the OV, God's plans which would benefit the believer can be thwarted by the believer themself. At the same time, this would negate 28.

Greg Boyd agrees implicitly with this statement, as he says in his book God of the Possible, pg. 153:
It is true that according to the open view things can happen in our lives that God didn’t plan or foreknow with certainty (though he always foreknew they were possible). This means that in the open view things can happen to us that have no overarching divine purpose. In this view, ‘trusting in God’ provides no assurance that everything that happens to us will reflect his divine purposes, for there are other agents who also have the power to affect us, just as we have the power to affect others. This, it must be admitted, can for some be a scary thought.
How then does this square with Romans 8:28? It simply does not, and therefore I believe it is impossible to hold a high view of scripture and still hold to the Open View of God.

Y

Yxboom

Jaltus,

Jaltus,

Since there are no takers I'll indulge in a response :)
How then does this square with Romans 8:28? It simply does not, and therefore I believe it is impossible to hold a high view of scripture and still hold to the Open View of God.
Are we arguing against God's EDF or omnipotence? It seems you are arguing against both although the OV denies only the former. It is throwing the baby out with the bath water for the OV has never argued that God is impotent. Although their are many factors involved in God achieving that which Paul writes in Romans 8:28 God is not a crippled, one-legged dog that can do nothing about it. God is ever-wise and ever-resourceful in bringing about His will and pleasure. If you ask, can God's will be thwarted than echoing Boyd, I agree yes it can. Now if you ask, does God do anything about it? Than again I echo Boyd, emphatically yes. Rather than stand on traditional Christianity that God is but a spectator to events that can not unfold according to His exhaustive foreknowledge. OV contends that God is intimate, involved and extremely pro-active in His dealings with mankind as this passage of Scripture will show:

Isaiah 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

Peace. :)

SteveT

Jaltus:

A quick alternative suggestion, I came across in a commentary (I think is was Barclays) a translation of v29 "Those he knew before..." instead of "foreknew". When I combine that with the consistent use of past tense verbs in verses 29-30, I would hypothesize that what Paul is talking about here is the OT saints (those God "knew before"). The whole section, from verse 17 - 39, is a discussion of how God uses suffering to conform us to the image of His son. Consistent with a sub-theme of the entire epistle (what happens to us is the same as what happened under the OT, i.e., the extensive discussion of Abraham in chapter 4), I think it would be surprising if Paul asserted that we "are heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings", and DIDN'T assert that the same process applied to the OT saints, those God "knew before", also. Understood this way, Paul is saying:

For the OT saints he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his son ... And those he predestined, he also called; those he called he also justified, those he justified he also glorified".

Predestination then refers to the what - conformed to the likeness of his son through suffering - not the who.

See also Rom 5:3-4, Phil 3:10, 1 Pt 4:12ff, and especially Heb 11:35b-40 for similar ideas.

This interpretation is my own, so I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Jaltus

Yxboom,

I am not making the argument against omnipotence, just against a lack of EDF and the presentist understanding. The problem with the OV is that someone could make a bad choice and die immediately, leaving God NO TIME (since He cannot see the future) in which to make it work out for the good.

He may be the omni-competent responder, but that does no good if there is nothing to respond to.

Jaltus

SteveT,

The problem with your take is that it denies the connection with at least verse 31, which specifically refers to "us." The verses in question MUST refer to the readers (/hearers, since it was read aloud) as well, meaning that they, at the least, would be included in the discussion, along with Paul. However, all commentators take verse 28 to refer to all Christians, so the sudden limitation in verse 29 would be out of the blue, and also lacking in textual proof (no change in subject, etc.).

Also, the word is actually "foreknew," and any other rendering is just trying to avoid the implications of this word taken in connection with other passages (e.g. I Peter 1:2, 20; etc).

Arminian

Jaltus,
In the Open View, God's plans can be defeated. Romans 8:28 clearly says that all things that happen work for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

Considering the context (my understaning of it), I think that Paul is still talking about suffering here. Of course, it's easy for Christians to say and feel that God is working for us when the world is for us, but in this situation Paul's opponents believe they are God's chosen people and are against "us" and are making charges that malign "our" corporate solidarity in right standing with God. So Paul argues that even suffering works to our good. Our suffering will end with our glorification (8:17). It is in this particular way that all things (meaning, "even suffering") work to the good of those who love him.

Who are those who love him? Those in Messiah.

Among other things, I think Paul's use of "those" suggests that he is concerned with arguing for the covenant standing of God's people, rather than the salvation involved in idividualism. Paul here is concered with delineating two peoples: those who live according to the sinful nature, and those who love God; those who are the flesh of Abraham, and those who are the children of Abraham; those who cause trouble, and those who suffer. Paul's oppositon argues that God's calling is theirs and people should become Jews to become covenant members, but Paul argues that the calling is theirs, but the covenant is entered through faith.

The children of Abraham (not the "descendants" of Abraham) are God's predestined people (a people with a particular identity centered on Messiah -- which includes Gentiles through faith) "...confirm the promises made to the patriarchs that the Gentiles may glorify God..."

Last edited:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Re: Conclusion

Re: Conclusion

Originally posted by Jaltus
Here is the problem, then: how can one hold to the Open View, denying EDF, and yet still hold to Romans 8 as being authoritative, especially 8:28?
Here is Bob Hill's commentary on that verse:

"Consider Romans 8:28. [NKJ] “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” [I disagree. My translation follows.] We know that He works with those loving God, all things, sunergei, unto good, with those who are called according to [His] purpose. God works with us. We have to work with God. When we love Him, He can produce His life in us. He is always working in the believer, but we do not always let Him work in us. Look up the word sunergei, Strong’s 4903, sunergeo. You’ll see it means “work together with, work with”."

Jaltus

Jefferson,

Your argument from "sunergeo" actually just strengthens my case. BAGD, pg. 787, mentions Romans 8:28 explicitly, and says this:
the goal (is) indicated by eis...in tois agaposin ton theon panta sunergei eis agathon Rom 8:28, s. means help...

In other words, it means, literally, "all things help towards the good of those who love God..." at least according to BAGD, the best lexicon in the world.

Jerry Shugart

Is the Christian dealing with a LIVING GOD,or they only dealing with the iron decree of fate?

If everything in the future of the Christian were already written in stone,why would he tell us to make our requests be known to Him in prayer?

There is a prayer that we might consider.The Lord Himself came down to earth to be crucified on Calvary,but listen to His prayer to the Father on the very eve of Calvary:

"O My Father,if it be possible,let this cup pass from Me"(Mt.16:39).

With the Lord Jesus the necessity to drink it arose from no stern and irrevocable edict of the past,but from the sovereign will of a present living God.And the Father,even then,would answer His prayer if redemption could be won at any price less terrible and costly.

Yet there are those who would rebuke a Christian mother for praying that the Lord would save the children He has given her.

They would say,Why are you praying.Don´t you know that all things are already fated to occur just as it has already been determined by God?

If the doctrine that all things are already predetermined to happen become a limitiation on His power to bless and save,then that doctrine denegrates into a denial of the very truth on which it rests--the sovereignty of the Almighty God.

In His grace,--Jerry

Post Modern Fundamentalist
In the Open View, God's plans can be defeated. Romans 8:28 clearly says that all things that happen work for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. That means that, according to the OV, God's plans which would benefit the believer can be thwarted by the believer themself.

and how is this different from arminianism? the view of providence is exactly the same and in arminianism, God's plans can be thwarted.

Here is the problem, then: how can one hold to the Open View, denying EDF

it takes more than edf, and if you insist that edf solves your problem, we openness folks can provide just as good of a solution.

Does God have anything to do with this fact that he can work all things out with free creatures or is he just lucky and romans 8 is just a statement of the fact of God's good luck that no free creature would ever thwart his plans in the way that he could not bring any good out of? well, pretending I'm a classical arminian, God sees all of the future and anything that might happen (making this a molinism) that would not work with him will be prevented. whether God has to do it explicitley miraculously or working under the table away from human eyes, he works it out so that such unusable evil will not happen to the believer.

and does the open view have to be any different? not at all. we have the same exact view of freedom as arminians except we take it more consistently. we believe that many more possibilities actually have a chance to come true. all God has to do isremove the possibilities that won't lend themselves to being woven into his plan for those who love him.

The problem with the OV is that someone could make a bad choice and die immediately, leaving God NO TIME (since He cannot see the future) in which to make it work out for the good.

If they die they are ushered into the presence of God. Didn't Paul say to live is Christ and to die is gain?

now perhaps you're thinking that they have one last lecherous thought and then they die. Well supposing they are in that state, all God has to do is prevent them from dieing at that moment so that they might repent.

what if in that last moment they reject God and fall away. then 8:28 would no longer apply to them.

Now this is all just one possible solution.

I like what arminian put forth and I would like to see what you do with it. With the corporate groups in mind and not individuals, we are looking at what happens to the church in general. this is much easier. pretty much we have all the bases covered because if the church is persecuted, God can use that for the growth and strength of the character of the church. if they prosper, obviously that can be used for the church.

one more theing to consider is why we should take this as an absolute where every individual thing is to be viewed as something that must be used by God. consider the following:

3 men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude. 5 for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer

so if we accept cocaine and pot with gratitude, it will be sanctified? clearly not.

but lets look closer to the context at hand.

32 He who (71) did not spare His own Son, but (72) delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?

so is God really going to give us all things? will he give us the throne of heaven? will he give us the keys to death and hell?

"all things" is a vague statement which is almost never used literally. perhaps in metaphysics its used literally. Jobeth likes to take verses such as those and argue that God created evan evil.

but you did offer evidence to take it so broadly.

there are numerous Jewish parallels to this phrase, most notably Rabbi Aqiba, "All the Almighty does, he does for good." This is something that shows an unlimited scope for this verse, meaning that it really does mean all things and not just all salvific things.

I don't see why this is evidence as to why romans 8:28 should be taken as absolutely exhaustively inclusive. but I'll grant that it is evidence. but is it proof? no way. so for this, you may have good evidence, but as we have theological problems with this (a theology which is built upon other scriptures) we'll take the less likely interpretation (if it is indeed less likely). that an interpretation is less likely is a far cry from saying that it is wrong. it's a myth of hermeneutics and of the more fundamentalistic strain of evangelicalism to insist otherwise.

to say that something does not reflect God's plan and may not reflect it is not to say that God can't use that event. many children were murdered in the holocaust. I don't see any reason to say that this was apart of God's plan, but for some people, God may have used this to come closer to them in their grief. certainly for those who did not love God, this may have only driven them further away. so here we have the same event for which believers could benefit and yet it had no divine purpose to begin with.

Last edited:

Arminian

I like what arminian put forth and ... With the corporate groups in mind and not individuals, we are looking at what happens to the church in general.

I want to make one modification, because it appears I was not clear enough. "Those who love him" involves identity, so the individaul appies it to himself or herself. We might replace the phrase with "Christains." All things work together with Christians for good because it is through suffering that we are glorified. In other words, we apply the words to ourselves because whe share in that identity.

My point was that "all things" is not a refrence to every detail of every event in life. Rather, Paul means that not just GOOD things, but EVEN suffering results in our salvation, we should look upon suffering with Christ as something good.

My comment against individual salvation was in refrence to verses 29-30. These verses are directed at one of the main topics of the book: WHO God's people are. God's elect are not people who have yet to believe. Paul argues that they are those of faith. They are ALREADY believers or they are not yet numbered among the elect. God had chosen a people before time began (this is the promise to the patriarchs of which he speaks). We join this foreknown people through faith.

The repetition of "those" makes the concept emphatic.

Last edited: