ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 3

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Let's look at the rest of Psalm 22... or at least other potentially relevant parts:

14 I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint;​

From what we know of crucifixion, not all the joints are pulled out of place. Some are, but not all. It is certainly not reported that this happened.

(John 19:34) But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

You can’t see the trees because of the forest.

And unfortunately, you are in the wrong forest (open theism)

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The Book of Life causes a lot of problems for the open theist.

Here is what I am taught.

Every name of every human being born was written in the Book of Life before the foundation of the world. When a human being dies his or her name is blotted out if they did not believe. When the very last human being dies, and the very last unbeliever is blotted out, then the “evolving” Book of Life will become the Lamb’s Book of Life.

Every reference to names being written in the Book of Life are before the foundations of the world. In Psalms 69 we have David lamenting for his unbelieving enemies to be blotted out of the Book of Life while his enemies were still alive.

The problem with the open theists view (Lighthouses’) of names being written into the Book of Life upon regeneration is this would mean that every baby that dies would go to hell. The only way a person’s name is blotted out of the evolving Book of Life is for unbelief and unbelief only. Sins have nothing to do with the blotting out. Since babies cannot reach the age of accountability there names are not blotted out when they die, and thus end up in the Lamb’s Book of Life.

Now, the only way God could know the names of every human being ever to be born is by exhaustive foreknowledge. And since God is outside of time, God even knows who is in the Lamb’s Book of Life, and who is not. Thus the people in the Lamb’s Book of Life are the elect, and predestined with blessings and provisions.

The only way the open theist can fit any Book of Life into open theism is to suggest as Lighthouse did, that names are entered at salvation. Again, this not only conflicts with every mention in the Bible of the names being entered before the foundation of the world, but would also send babies to hell.

Remember, from the perspective of time, the Book of Life is an evolving book and salvation is available to all. Since God is outside of time, He not only could enter every name in the evolving Book of Life before Adam, but He also knows who ends up in the Lamb’s Book of Life.
Learn some grammar. From means since, and since means after. Don't believe me? Look it up.

And how dumb do you have to be to believe that a baby who dies just immediately goes to Hell? Or even Heaven? God gave us a will for a reason. You really think He's going to negate it just because someone died before they were capable of exercising it? No! He will allow them to make that choice before they go either direction. He still leaves it up to them.

And the Book of Life is for Israel, not the Body.

Moron.

elected4ever

Learn some grammar. From means since, and since means after. Don't believe me? Look it up.

And how dumb do you have to be to believe that a baby who dies just immediately goes to Hell? Or even Heaven? God gave us a will for a reason. You really think He's going to negate it just because someone died before they were capable of exercising it? No! He will allow them to make that choice before they go either direction. He still leaves it up to them.

Moron.
You have had to much fruit cake for Christmas.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
godrulz, How can you claim that God is fully omniscient and then say He does not know the outcome of all things. That is a totally contradictory statement. God does know all things; past, present and future. He in His triune nature knows all things, All things. Where can you hide from Him? What is the extent of his power? Who am I or you to question the perfection of His nature?

God knows the past and present exhaustively. If free will is true and there are genuine contingencies, then EDF of the future is not logically possible, even for an omniscient God. He correctly knows it as possible, not actual, since it is not a possible object of certain knowledge in advance.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Neither is no beginning (eternal)

Neither is three Persons being one God (Trinity)

Why does our "finite logic" have to apply to God? He is infinite, He is not limited by our finite logic.

You don't get it.

God being a compound unity vs solitary being is not a logical contradiction. If you say there are 3 gods in 1 god or 3 persons in 1 person, then it is illogical. The trinity does not say this and distinguishes nature and personal distinction with no contradiction.

No beginning is not illogical for the uncreated Creator. Logically, something has always existed. Is is matter, God, impersonal, personal?

God is infinite, but there are still logical parameters.

It sounds like you are not aware of the logical and philosophical issues that are not related to an infinite God. You cannot use that mystery or antimony to negate things that can be demonstrated with sound thinking, modal logic, etc.

If Open Theism truly limited God or took away from His glorious attributes, I would be opposing it like you are.

Stay open...something will click...

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The question isn't whether God knows all things, but what "all things" includes. If we can say that God doesn't know what a square triangle looks like, because it's not logically knowable, then it is possible we could say that the future fits into that same category of "not logically knowable."

And, if we embrace free will, that's what happens to the future. EDF and free will are not logically compatible.

Thus, the "future" is a concept for which there is nothing to definitely know.

Muz

Muz, With all due respect, you are using human logic. Since when does God have to fit your logical construct. You do realize it is your construct correct?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Muz, With all due respect, you are using human logic. Since when does God have to fit your logical construct. You do realize it is your construct correct?

If you understood his point, you would see its wisdom and truth. We should not cling to traditional views that are philosophically vs biblically influenced if they are not defensible and incoherent.

Using your logic, we could uncritically accept falsehoods about God and His ways.

Just because you do not see it, does not mean Muz is wrong.

themuzicman

Neither is no beginning (eternal)

Only within created time is this true.

Neither is three Persons being one God (Trinity)

You need to learn the difference between a logical contradiction and a paradox.

Why does our "finite logic" have to apply to God? He is infinite, He is not limited by our finite logic.

Because this is about the nature of creation, not the nature of God.

Muz

themuzicman

(John 19:34) But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

You can’t see the trees because of the forest.

And unfortunately, you are in the wrong forest (open theism)

Um.. Did you even bother to read the second line of that verse?

let me point it out again:

and all my bones are out of joint​

Apparently you have no real answer, but decided to make something up instead.

Muz

themuzicman

It's not actually my construct (this problem has been know since before Christ)

And it's not actually about God. It's about the nature of creation and what God created.

Muz

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If you understood his point, you would see its wisdom and truth. We should not cling to traditional views that are philosophically vs biblically influenced if they are not defensible and incoherent.

Using your logic, we could uncritically accept falsehoods about God and His ways.

Just because you do not see it, does not mean Muz is wrong.

the Bible is traditional

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Was my name in the Book of Life of the Lamb Slain before I was born? No. Was it written in there before the foundation of the world? Not if it wasn't in there before I was born. Has it been written in since? Yes.

Does this mean you are Jewish?

(Phil 4:3) And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

Is Paul talking about Israel here?

This is made up, and has no Biblical basis. Where exactly does this chance to believe or not believe take place for these babies? Purgatory?

Let me give you something to think about. In the USA and other western “Christian” countries the infant mortality rate is around 2%. In third world Godless countries, and Muslim countries the infant mortality rate is 12% to 20%.

Makes me laugh every time you do this, thanks.

SaulToPaul 2

No beginning is not illogical for the uncreated Creator. Logically, something has always existed.

How about being the uncreated creator and a creature at the same time? Jesus Christ.

Can someone who's uncreated be the created at the same time? Logical?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Um.. Did you even bother to read the second line of that verse?

let me point it out again:

and all my bones are out of joint​

Apparently you have no real answer, but decided to make something up instead.

It is so blatantly obvious that Psalms 22 prophesizes the crucifixion in great detail. Yet you want to dismiss the verses in chp 22 that are repeated verbatim in the Gospels and instead concentrate on one verse that is not repeated verbatim.

Remember Muz, just because something is not said, does not mean it didn’t happen, and you can’t prove a negative.For example if I asked you if you ever read Robinson Crusoe, you can prove that you did, but it would be impossible for you to prove that you did not read the book.

“All my bones were out of joint” is stated in Psalms 22, but not in the Gospels. However this does not mean that Christ’s bones were not out of joint. You can’t prove they weren’t.

Where there is proof, such as the following, you chose to ignore.

(Psalms 22:14) I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint;

John 19:34) But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

AND

(Psalms 22:18) They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

(Matthew 27:35) And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

AND

(Psalms 22:16) For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet

(John 20:25) The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the LORD. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

AND

(Psalms 22:1) My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

(Matt 27:46) And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?