ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 3

Lon

It does not say 'now YOU know' as some suggest that it was for man's awareness, not God's. You also have the problem that IF God wanted to communicate His experience with an open future and free moral agents, that He would not have any other language to use except what He did use to convey both concepts. So, until proven otherwise, take it at face value and change your theology (mine does not rely on one proof text like this, but a cumulative weight of biblical evidence and logic).
'Now I know' is but one possible way of understanding the text.

Examples:
Please show me where I said 'now YOU know.'

"Whereas I know" <- totally legitimate translation

"Now I acknowledge" <- Yep, you guessed it, legitimate.

"Now I answer" <- Yep, same.

"Now I declare"

"Now it is so"

"Now I make known"

"Now I instruct"

'Whereas' is also appropriate in place of those 'now's'

As I reread the entire thread, nobody said that. Why in the world would you bring up such a thing unless you are trying purposefully to discredit with slander? I'd like to concede it is just faulty presupposition or perhaps some other obscure disagreement you've had in the past instead but only you'd be able to clear this up. It has a slanderous and obfuscating tenor I'd like to see cleared up. We can go back to Muz' Ockham Razor and trim what is unnecessary.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This thread will be a continuation of the thread ARCHIVE: Open Theism pt. 2

Which at the time of this posting had 8,094 replies and almost 154,954 views! yet because of the size of the thread it had grown sluggish therefore we shut it down and opened part 3 here!

Enjoy and lets get back to the discussion!

The future.... is it completely settled in advance or open to an extent?
:shocked: Part THREE?!?!

One would have thought all this would have been settled by now. :doh:

Settled. Get it .. settled? :chuckle:

:noid:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
2 Hours before the test was administered, the condition of Abraham's heart was a matter of the 'actual present.' Abraham did not suddenly fear God as a result of passing his test.

There is simply no way around it. To hold your position on this text indicates ONLY that God did not know all that could be known exhaustively. Even if you try to throw out the 99% certainty thing.

Exhaustive = 100%.

You might even be able to argue that God did not know the outcome of the test (meaning the actual outcome, not it's implications). But unless the test fundamentally changed Abraham and AT THE MOMENT HE PASSED IT, caused him to fear God, then his fear of God was NOT a future event. It was a present event.

But please, keep arguing this passage. It's not just a weak argument, it does violence to your own position.

Does Boyd correctly represent your view? His alternate view represents mine (in light of similar principles elsewhere...cumulative evidence).

http://www.gregboyd.org/qa/open-the...ism/what-is-the-significance-of-genesis-2212/

Lon: now you know....this would better fit your theory since you believe God knew in advance...i.e. it was for his benefit, not God's.

Lon

Does Boyd correctly represent your view? His alternate view represents mine (in light of similar principles elsewhere...cumulative evidence).

http://www.gregboyd.org/qa/open-the...ism/what-is-the-significance-of-genesis-2212/

Lon: now you know....this would better fit your theory since you believe God knew in advance...i.e. it was for his benefit, not God's.

All your link did was assert what has already been argued against.
I am impressed however, usually your links take me to Amazon where I have to hunt and search too long to find the point you are trying to make. Clicking on 'inside' give me a headache because I'm meeting success about 40% of the time. Granted that after 5 minutes, my efforts diminish and I become lazy.

So, as Boyd asserts, so have you and Muz. No new information or proof added there other than you are presenting the 'authority' behind the assertion. It is good to know that you are following in the footsteps. If only I could get you to rely on the Holy Spirit, sound exegesis, and other scholars, I might be able to actually welcome you back to orthodoxy.

John Wesley:
Now know I that thou fearest God - God knew it before, but now Abraham had given a memorable evidence of it. He need do no more, what he had done was sufficient to prove the religious regard he had to God and his authority. The best evidence of our fearing God is our being willing to honour him with that which is dearest to us, and to part with all to him, or for him.

John Lawlor
In translating the Hebrew:
"I know that you fear God"
As I'd said, the Hebrews themselves do not translate 'now.'

Young's Literal Translation
and He saith, 'Put not forth thine hand unto the youth, nor do anything to him, for now I have known that thou art fearing God, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only one, from Me.

Mathew Henry:
Abraham did indeed love God better than he loved Isaac, the end of the command was answered; and therefore the order is countermanded, without any reflection at all upon the unchangeableness of the divine counsels: Lay not thy hand upon the lad.

Long Hebrew Commentary by Albert Van Der Heide page 144
Designations of temporality in relation to God should be understood as designations of causality: Abraham's deed of obedience was the cause of acknowlegement of his piety, which was of course, already known to Him...

From Eusebius page 133
That is "Now you have shown" as reads the Hebrew for he does not bring forward the ignorance of God, but rather strictness of trial, as [expressed in] Gen 18:21 that I must go down and see if they are as wicked as the outcry suggests. If not, I want to know."
...It is somewhat ambiguous in the Hebrew, and that in fact, at the same time also..."you have...manifest."

This long history and linguistic expertise shows that the OV is merely asserting an alternative exegesis of this text. Hebrew scholars understand the text as is classically/traditionally given. Open Theists must produce similar scholarship by expertise. Muz or I, who are but initiates in the languages, - can, if honest, merely affirm the scholarly works by our study, but have no league with such men. These are the ones who we rely on to learn the language in the first place.
Matthew 10:24

JCWR

So, as Boyd asserts, so have you and Muz. No new information or proof added there other than you are presenting the 'authority' behind the assertion. It is good to know that you are following in the footsteps. If only I could get you to rely on the Holy Spirit, sound exegesis, and other scholars, I might be able to actually welcome you back to orthodoxy.
Indeed!

God certainly "knew" beforehand what Abraham would do in this predicament (Ps 139:1-6). The language here simply indicates that it was a test or demonstration of Abraham's complete loyalty to God.

themuzicman

Of course "where are you?" is a question. So what?

So what? Questions aren't declarative statements.

You are arguing a different forest view. I'm arguing for God's knowledge here in both cases and what each means.

I'm arguing from an exegetical view. God makes a statement about His knowledge in Genesis 22. God makes no such claim in Genesis 3. Is that hard to grasp?

In the very same way it is deductive insertion/assertion to think God has no idea where Adam is, it is the same deductive instertion/assert to say that "Now I know" means He didn't before.

Then give us an exegetical basis for saying otherwise. From this pericope, show us that God intended something else. I saw your attempt to explain it away without Scripture. Now get into the exegetical work and show us from the context what "Now I know" means.

Any whack theology job can say 3:9 proves God isn't omnipresent and less knowing even than OV gives credit for.
You said it, not me.

The bummer is, your exegesis is consistent with 'his' claim, not mine.

That is putting words in my mouth. I've explained the differnce.

I see them both as at best, vague for such an assumption.

Really? Where does God claim to know or not know anything in Genesis 3?

You can argue til your blue, hold your breath, count to 10. Doesn't matter. It is inconsistent on your part and nothing but assertation. You can assert all you like. You can say it is 'more' consistent all you like.

I see you've already made up your mind, and you won't be confused by Scripture. Sorry, my bad.

My premise again: The majority of people believe your interpretation is weak and incorrect. The burden of proof hasn't been done to our satisfaction. Asserting is going to wind up just being a hesaid/shesaid. But I don't have to convince many, you have to convince all.

The majority of people think you're a heretic for not belonging to the RCC.

SO, when is your confirmation?

Muz

themuzicman

Man, it's downright silly the lengths some of you will go to to try to defend your position. Even when an argument is absolute tripe you'll hold on to it with all your might, popping your head in the sand and claiming invisibility.

When someone confronts a serious theological position that both confronts and threatens one's own position, this is often the reaction.

What you are arguing here is that 'where are you' suggests nothing outside of the meaning of the individual words used and that one is in error should one find implied meaning.

I've done no such thing. I've suggest that in both cases that we examine the context of the periocope to see what each tells us. From the Genesis 3 story, Adam's response suggests that even Adam knew that God knew where he was, but was trying to hide anyway. I think we can take a cue from Adam's response and say that the question was asked because Adam was hiding, not because God didn't know where he was.

OTOH, the entire pericope of Abraham and Isaac suggests that Abraham was being tested to see if his son was more important than God, and this test had to go all the way to the point where the knife was raised before God knew Abraham's heart. Thus, the statement "Now I know" fits into the context in that way.

Both arrived at consistently and exegetically.

So according to this line of reasoning, the idea that the question, 'where are you' is motivated by the questioner's apparent lack of knowledge about where the object of that sentence is is in error, since the question makes no such statement of fact.

And the pericope doesn't suggest such an interpretation.

In other words, if we boil that logic down, what you are saying is, 'take the sentence ONLY at face value and extrapolate no meaning other than that expressly stated.'

No, take the context only at face value and extrapolate no meaning other than what the pericope expressly means.

Fine. Let's apply it to the phrase, 'now I know.' Two parts to that phrase: a statement of fact (I know) and a chronological modifier(Now). If we take that phrase only at face value and extrapolate no meaning other than that expressly stated, what we are left with is: at this point in time, right now, the Angel of the Lord knows that Abraham fears God.

This your exegetical model, not mine. Your error is assuming that I don't use context.

We cannot suggest that this statement implies that God didn't know prior to 'now,' because the phrase doesn't expressly state that and implication is apparently off-limits (at least it is if we are to remain consistent in our reasoning). Therefore, by your own standard, this argument is vain and dead because while you may wish to claim that the implication is that God knows now what He did not at one point in the past know, the phrase you are proof texting makes no such 'statement of fact' to quote you. It only clearly states that right now, He knows.

Only in your sad excuse for a red herring.

Muz

themuzicman

We're two out of three, which is more than we can say for you.

John Wesley:

John Lawlor
In translating the Hebrew: As I'd said, the Hebrews themselves do not translate 'now.'

Young's Literal Translation

Mathew Henry:

Long Hebrew Commentary by Albert Van Der Heide page 144

Imagine that. You've selected a nice group of reformed theologians who have the presupposition of EDF, and they all agree with you. What a shock.

And you believe the ECFs to be inerrant?

This long history and linguistic expertise shows that the OV is merely asserting an alternative exegesis of this text. Hebrew scholars understand the text as is classically/traditionally given. Open Theists must produce similar scholarship by expertise. Muz or I, who are but initiates in the languages, - can, if honest, merely affirm the scholarly works by our study, but have no league with such men. These are the ones who we rely on to learn the language in the first place.
Matthew 10:24

So much for semper reforma...

Muz

assuranceagent

OTOH, the entire pericope of Abraham and Isaac suggests that Abraham was being tested to see if his son was more important than God, and this test had to go all the way to the point where the knife was raised before God knew Abraham's heart. Thus, the statement "Now I know" fits into the context in that way.

All other arguments aside, if this is true, then God doesn't truly know 'all that can be known' and you still lose this debate because you have defeated your own position.

There're only so many ways to state the same undefeated argument. As stated before, this pericope may be interpreted in such a way as to support settled theism (anthropomorphism) or it may be interpreted in such a way as to do away with God's omniscience altogether, but there is no way to honestly interpret this pericope in support of Open Theism.

Here are your options:
1. It is to be taken as anthropomorphism. God retains His knowledge of all and the test proves what only He already knew.

2. It is to be taken literally. The idea of God's knowledge of all that can be known must be forfeit, since God didn't know Abraham's heart prior to Abraham's passing of this test. God, in this instance, shows a capacity of omniscience equal to that of a man.

3. It is to be taken literally. Abraham's heart was fundamentally changed by the outcome of this test and only in the exact moment that he passed it, did he begin to fear God. He did not fear God prior to the test, so there was no fear for God to know. Therefore God retains His omniscience in the field of 'all that could be known,' and Abraham, for some reason, passed a test designed to exhibit a fear of God that he did not possess.​

The third option is the only possible way to interpret this verse in keeping with Open Theism, and it is obviously ludicrous.

Lon

So what? Questions aren't declarative statements.
Well, let's by all means go back, shall we?
"Now" can be 'whereas.' Whereas is a 'because' statement. "Whereas I know."

I'm arguing from an exegetical view. God makes a statement about His knowledge in Genesis 22. God makes no such claim in Genesis 3. Is that hard to grasp?
No, you are arguing from an OV presupposition: That God has no foreknowledge of man's actions. Your presupposition that keeps you from error in Genesis 3:9 is that God knows all present knowledge. Trying to build doctrine off of narrative passages where doctrine isn't specifically given is a difficult thing. Pedantic passages are supposed to drive our presuppositions first. Then when we come to narrative, our suppositions are not unfounded.

Then give us an exegetical basis for saying otherwise. From this pericope, show us that God intended something else. I saw your attempt to explain it away without Scripture. Now get into the exegetical work and show us from the context what "Now I know" means.
I gave that already. You made an attempt to show that those other meanings didn't work but I think you were just playing with them rather than attempting to understand the way they could be used in the text.
'Now I know' is but one possible way of understanding the text.

Examples:

"Whereas I know" <- totally legitimate translation

"Now I acknowledge" <- Yep, you guessed it, legitimate.

"Now I answer" <- Yep, same.

"Now I declare"

"Now it is so"

"Now I make known"

"Now I instruct"
Remember, of course, these are legitimate ways of translating meaning, it does not mean you just do a word for word change up. That's why it reads 'now I know' but the translators didn't mean at all what you are saying it does. They themselves disagree and translated it that way to say something completely different than what you assert. All of these translators believed in God's prescience of man's actions. They understood it 'whereas I know' and not as some proof text for God not knowing before but suddenly knowing Abraham's heart. You push too far! You are beginning to deny, now, God's intimate knowledge of man is such an assertion. You are putting qualifiers on even His present knowledge and wisdom.
If God knows our hearts and minds better than we ourselves, He has no need to put Abraham to the test for HIM to see. It just doesn't make any sense unless you assert that God really doesn't know our hearts either. This is crucial to your understanding. You have to acquiesce where this is leading: To a god built with human minds with all the limited restrictions.

You said it, not me.
I was trying to get you to realize that presuppositions on truth from other passages, especially pedantic ones of doctrine, drive our understanding of narrative passages. When the guy comes and says "God didn't know where Adam was." We say, "What makes you think that?" "He says, Adam, where are you?" We say, "He knew where Adam was, He's omnipresent." He says, "Then why did He ask?" We say, "Because Adam was trying to hide and God wanted him to face what He'd done. It is the first act of repentance."

Apply this to "Now I know" in Genesis 22. It is the same, it shows no lack of knowledge, but a truth. "By this, all know what was in your heart. Your actions follow from what is there. You place me above all in your life." "Just Now, at this precise moment and not before" is a limitation not only upon His prescience, but upon OV tenants of Past and Present knowledge and extent (the heart).

That is putting words in my mouth. I've explained the difference.
I've tried to show how they are both presumptuous. That's the link between them in exegesis.

Really? Where does God claim to know or not know anything in Genesis 3?
He doesn't. That's why I compared it to Genesis 22 where He also doesn't say He didn't know before. He is saying that the Now is in relation to Abraham's action, not His prescience nor His intimate knowledge of the heart. Again, your pressing of this is so acute that it begins to deny even His present and past knowledge of Abraham's heart.

I see you've already made up your mind, and you won't be confused by Scripture. Sorry, my bad.
So, you take their translation, but not their own opinion of the scripture they translated. Again, whereas is not merely 'now' after all, nor did the translators believe what you do. Even as far back as Jewish scholars, of their own language.

The majority of people think you're a heretic for not belonging to the RCC.

SO, when is your confirmation?

Muz
Incorrect. The majority, in fact, do not see me as a heretic but in error. That's much less of a sharp disagreement.

Both arrived at consistently and exegetically.
Not consistent at all. You started this well, "Abraham was being tested..." but you presume upon the text that God, who knows the mind and heart of man, is trying to find something out.
That's worth repeating:
You are presuming, that God, who knows the mind and heart, needs to find something out. Does or does not this presumption do damage to the OV: That God has perfect past and present knowledge? To hone this down a bit further for logical ends,and my OV understanding: Does God know us better than we know ourselves? Whatever answer you give here will qualify and pare God's perfect knowledge to a point where we must see restrictions on how well He can can even know us.

No, take the context only at face value and extrapolate no meaning other than what the pericope expressly means.
So, because we don't see that God isn't saying He didn't know before, what Abraham would do, we should be careful not to go beyond what "Now I know" or "Whereas I know" expressly means?
And just to ensure I'm following: "Where are you, Adam?" does not expressly mean "I don't know where you are but I am really not asking so much as telling you I recognize you are trying to hide."
..."Now I know" is not expressly saying "I didn't know" or showing a deficit in God's ability to know the heart without a test with perfect present knowledge. Am I following your 'extrapolate no meaning other than what is expressly given?

Fine. Let's apply it to the phrase, 'now I know.' Two parts to that phrase: a statement of fact (I know) and a chronological modifier(Now). If we take that phrase only at face value and extrapolate no meaning other than that expressly stated, what we are left with is: at this point in time, right now, the Angel of the Lord knows that Abraham fears God.
This your exegetical model, not mine. Your error is assuming that I don't use context.
Wait a second....
Am I missing something?
...the phrase you are proof texting makes no such 'statement of fact' to quote you. It only clearly states that right now, He knows.
Only in your sad excuse for a red herring.
Muz
Sometimes I believe OV is secretly upholding everything we already uphold but are just trying to sharpen the saints. I know it isn't, but sometimes I just get that for some reason.

nicholsmom

OK, grammar lesson. "Where are you?" is a question. It does not make a statement of fact.
Muz

I am puzzled by this. This does not seem to be the typical OV position: that God does not know something that is actually knowable, seems contrary to any sort of omniscience - even the OV view of it. Just saying...

Should have read Lon's post first - he covered this. Sorry, Lon :e4e:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lon

themuzicman

Well, let's by all means go back, shall we?
"Now" can be 'whereas.' Whereas is a 'because' statement. "Whereas I know."

But that doesn't change anything, because this is followed by "since", which would define the basis for knowing.

No, you are arguing from an OV presupposition: That God has no foreknowledge of man's actions. Your presupposition that keeps you from error in Genesis 3:9 is that God knows all present knowledge. Trying to build doctrine off of narrative passages where doctrine isn't specifically given is a difficult thing. Pedantic passages are supposed to drive our presuppositions first. Then when we come to narrative, our suppositions are not unfounded.

I don't build doctrine from Genesis 22:12. Genesis 22:12 is evidence that supports my view, but were I go give up on this passage it would have little to no effect on my theology, since I don't build upon anything here.

If you look at my opening post for this thread, you'll see that.

I gave that already. You made an attempt to show that those other meanings didn't work but I think you were just playing with them rather than attempting to understand the way they could be used in the text.

I see how you could use those. However, either they don't fit the context, or they don't help you.

Remember, of course, these are legitimate ways of translating meaning, it does not mean you just do a word for word change up. That's why it reads 'now I know' but the translators didn't mean at all what you are saying it does. They themselves disagree and translated it that way to say something completely different than what you assert. All of these translators believed in God's prescience of man's actions. They understood it 'whereas I know' and not as some proof text for God not knowing before but suddenly knowing Abraham's heart. You push too far! You are beginning to deny, now, God's intimate knowledge of man is such an assertion. You are putting qualifiers on even His present knowledge and wisdom.

I would assert that this was an unsettled matter in Abraham's heart, such that the present knowledge of Abraham was unclear. After all, no man would seriously contemplate killing his own son without some serious basis for doing so.

If God knows our hearts and minds better than we ourselves, He has no need to put Abraham to the test for HIM to see. It just doesn't make any sense unless you assert that God really doesn't know our hearts either. This is crucial to your understanding. You have to acquiesce where this is leading: To a god built with human minds with all the limited restrictions.

Or this was unsettled in Abraham's heart.

I was trying to get you to realize that presuppositions on truth from other passages, especially pedantic ones of doctrine, drive our understanding of narrative passages. When the guy comes and says "God didn't know where Adam was." We say, "What makes you think that?" "He says, Adam, where are you?" We say, "He knew where Adam was, He's omnipresent." He says, "Then why did He ask?" We say, "Because Adam was trying to hide and God wanted him to face what He'd done. It is the first act of repentance."

Well, since you don't ever really engage in the meaning of the context, you wind up with these kinds of discussions. That's the huge problem with prooftexting: Frequently the context gets missed.

The context of the fall suggests that God is dealing with the fact that they are hiding, rather than expressing confusion about their whereabouts. The context of Genesis 22 is a test by God to see if Abraham will obey Him to the point of sacrificing his own son.

Look at the conclusion

Gen 22:16 and said, "By myself I have sworn, declares the LORD, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, 18 and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice."​

Notice that the basis for God's extension of the promise to Abraham is based upon Abraham's actions. If God already knew Abraham's heart, then this would have been unnecessary.

Apply this to "Now I know" in Genesis 22. It is the same, it shows no lack of knowledge, but a truth. "By this, all know what was in your heart. Your actions follow from what is there. You place me above all in your life." "Just Now, at this precise moment and not before" is a limitation not only upon His prescience, but upon OV tenants of Past and Present knowledge and extent (the heart).

Again, you fail to deal with "since." You've chopped this story into tiny pieces, and thrown out the inconvenient ones. "Since" clearly suggests that the basis for God's knowledge is Abraham's actions

I've tried to show how they are both presumptuous. That's the link between them in exegesis.

Except that there isn't, as I've shown. The context of each points in a different direction. That's the difference between proof text exegesis and narrative context exegesis.

He doesn't. That's why I compared it to Genesis 22 where He also doesn't say He didn't know before. He is saying that the Now is in relation to Abraham's action, not His prescience nor His intimate knowledge of the heart. Again, your pressing of this is so acute that it begins to deny even His present and past knowledge of Abraham's heart.

God does say that the basis for His knowledge "since" is Abraham's action in raising the knife. That's the reason translators select "Now" to introduce the clause.

So, you take their translation, but not their own opinion of the scripture they translated. Again, whereas is not merely 'now' after all, nor did the translators believe what you do. Even as far back as Jewish scholars, of their own language.

Again, which is fine. Most of your alternative translations don't get away from this exegesis anyway.

Incorrect. The majority, in fact, do not see me as a heretic but in error. That's much less of a sharp disagreement.

And the majority of the Church and the church do not see me as a heretic, either. The difference is that I don't base my theology on how many others believe as I do.

So, are you going for confirmation soon?

Not consistent at all. You started this well, "Abraham was being tested..." but you presume upon the text that God, who knows the mind and heart of man, is trying to find something out.

And using the entire story to exegete the idea that the matter wasn't knowable, even in Abraham's heart.

That's worth repeating:
You are presuming, that God, who knows the mind and heart, needs to find something out. Does or does not this presumption do damage to the OV: That God has perfect past and present knowledge? To hone this down a bit further for logical ends,and my OV understanding: Does God know us better than we know ourselves? Whatever answer you give here will qualify and pare God's perfect knowledge to a point where we must see restrictions on how well He can can even know us.

And it bears repeating that our hearts are not a constant. I have no problem with saying that this was a test for Abraham. He probably learned some thing about himself in the process. But God doesn't say "now you know." God says, "Now I know.. since..."

You have no basis for saying that this matter was settled in Abraham's heart at all. The context seems to suggest otherwise.

So, because we don't see that God isn't saying He didn't know before, what Abraham would do, we should be careful not to go beyond what "Now I know" or "Whereas I know" expressly means?

Yes. When God says, "Where as I know ... Since..." God is establishing the basis for His knowledge.

And just to ensure I'm following: "Where are you, Adam?" does not expressly mean "I don't know where you are but I am really not asking so much as telling you I recognize you are trying to hide."

Again, from the context of the story, that's how it is exegeted. You see, you want to make the basis of your exegesis the individual phrase, where as I look at the whole context, including the flow and point of the story. Yes, I focus on "Now I know", but only after careful review of what has happened and what follows.

..."Now I know" is not expressly saying "I didn't know" or showing a deficit in God's ability to know the heart without a test with perfect present knowledge. Am I following your 'extrapolate no meaning other than what is expressly given?

Because we exegete on a pericope level, not on a proof text level.

Wait a second....

Am I missing something?

Yes. Exegesis.

Sometimes I believe OV is secretly upholding everything we already uphold but are just trying to sharpen the saints. I know it isn't, but sometimes I just get that for some reason.

That because you look for ways to reaffirm your theology and your methods. When something disagrees with both, you feel justified in attempting to use your methods to prove something is wrong, even if your method is invalid

Muz

assuranceagent

Ah, I see. Of the three options I laid out, you've chosen the ridiculous one:

Abraham, unsettled in his heart as to his fear of God, opted to sacrfice his son on the basis of that ambiguity. Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I am puzzled by this. This does not seem to be the typical OV position: that God does not know something that is actually knowable, seems contrary to any sort of omniscience - even the OV view of it. Just saying...

Should have read Lon's post first - he covered this. Sorry, Lon :e4e:

It is a rhetorical question, not a statement of ignorance on God's part (I think some TOL types say God is not omnipresent and was playing hide and seek).

themuzicman

Ah, I see. Of the three options I laid out, you've chosen the ridiculous one:

Abraham, unsettled in his heart as to his fear of God, opted to sacrfice his son on the basis of that ambiguity. Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

Abraham, unsettled in his heart as to his fear of God, was forced because of God's command to choose whether to obey God or preserve his son, thus settling the matter in his heart.

Muz

assuranceagent

Abraham, unsettled in his heart as to his fear of God, was forced because of God's command to choose whether to obey God or preserve his son, thus settling the matter in his heart.

Muz

Abraham was 'reckoned righteous' by his faith in Genesis 15:6 , seven chapters prior to your allegations of his 'unsettled heart.'

Abraham feared God prior to this test. The test only confirmed that fact (a fact which God already knew).