ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

themuzicman

And, where are those originals?

The material that those originals were written on decomposed. Thus, the church had the task of keeping those texts by copying them. And they did a pretty good job.

God preserved his word.

Through copies of His word.

You do realize that your imperfect version is (mostly*) based upon the same copies, right?

*Several KJV verses aren't based upon ANY copy of the text, but based upon Erasmus' translation from the Latin Vulgate.

Muz

themuzicman

Can you put your hands on them right now? Are all of God's words mixed
with some words that are not his?

That's what God has chosen to do to preserve His word.

He CERTAINLY didn't put that in the hands of an individual who didn't even have copies of all the original text. That's for sure.

Muz

lee_merrill

Ahem--And even in a perfect world, God could still be wrong due to not knowing free-will decisions, and thus there could be disappointment even in heaven! Due to God's advice not turning out to be best--correct? According to the Open View...

Philetus

Ahem--And even in a perfect world, God could still be wrong due to not knowing free-will decisions, and thus there could be disappointment even in heaven! Due to God's advice not turning out to be best--correct? According to the Open View...

Not knowing what is unknowable is not being wrong.

God's 'advice' is always on target (right on the money because it is based on infinite intelligence and wisdom not EDF) whether you follow God's advice or not. And yes God is disappointed (grieved) when you don't. The rest of us are at the point that we just get weary.

P

Philetus

Well, let's call it some other name, say, mistaken.

There will be disappointment in heaven, then? Just trying for clarity in this.

Blessings,
Lee

Nope! Not even close and no cookie! Your grasping at straws.

Not mistaken and not even ignorance. Ignorance is not knowing something that can be known. Mistaken is thinking something is actual when it isn't. God isn't ignorant of the facts and knows your future only as possible.

We will not be disappointed in heaven, Lee, yet I'm sure that God will be disappointed if you don't make it. But I'm equally sure He will get over it. I know I will. :sigh:

lee_merrill

Not mistaken and not even ignorance.
Then God will always be right in his plans based on free-will decisions? No second best?

We will not be disappointed in heaven, Lee...
So let's say God makes a Burley and and Blogit creature on some far distant planet, and they decide to rebel, and there is such a flood of wickedness that a flood (just speaking hypothetically) is necessary, and we all regret that Burleys and Blogits were made on Aldeberan...

Not possible?

Blessings,
Lee

lee_merrill

So God is mistaken if he doesn't know how a Flex Capacitor works, even though it doesn't actually exist?
I didn't say that! :)

I do say if God doesn't know all future free-will choices, he might be mistaken about the best course from time to time, even in a sinless world.

Blessings,
Lee

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I didn't say that! :)

I do say if God doesn't know all future free-will choices, he might be mistaken about the best course from time to time, even in a sinless world.

Blessings,
Lee

You are underestimating His infinite, creative intelligence and power. You wrongly think that God is like a man who must control and micromanage every detail in order to get done what needs to be done over time. OT does not underestimate His greatness, so why are you?

Philetus

You are underestimating His infinite, creative intelligence and power. You wrongly think that God is like a man who must control and micromanage every detail in order to get done what needs to be done over time. OT does not underestimate His greatness, so why are you?

Ditto!

Wow! That is the first time I even considered that Lee might be a control freak.:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
So God is mistaken if he doesn't know how a Flex Capacitor works, even though it doesn't actually exist?
I didn't say that!

Blessings,
Lee

In effect you did say that, Lee. You claim that God knows your future free-will choices that you haven't made yet based on contingencies that don't yet even exist.

So let's say God makes a Burley and and Blogit creature on some far distant planet, and they decide to rebel, and there is such a flood of wickedness that a flood (just speaking hypothetically) is necessary, and we all regret that Burleys and Blogits were made on Aldeberan...

Not possible?

Blessings,
Lee

Just what is it that makes it so difficult for you to grasp the difference between possible and actual? Lets stick with Alice in Wonderland or if that isn't burley enough for you then how about the exact location of Superman at a given moment in time.

Imagination is a tenable thing to waste.

God doesn't guess. God is always right about the next course of actions. BUT God's ways are not always followed. That creates a new set of contingencies. AND God bases His plans on what is, not on what is imagined or even possible and not on what would have been if we had been obedient. AND when God acts and actualizes His plans regardless of what creatures do or don't do other contingencies are eliminated. Flood, naming John the Baptist (instead of John the Presbyterian :crackup: ) the resurrection, the second coming etc, etc, etc.

P

Status
Not open for further replies.