ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee_merrill

He didn't. This is based upon Lee's presuppositions, which are not supported in Scripture.
I note here, no specifics. But you have skipped the main point:

The gymnastics come when we read that God is not wrong about the future, and then we try to find a way to deny this.

Deuteronomy 18:22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously.

Or is it your contention that God coerced those acts; as you claim Judas Iscariot was a victim of positive reprobation(i.e. John 6:44)?

Muz: I think think you're just deliberately obtuse...
But insults are not arguments, do you claim Judas was subjected to reprobation?

Lon

Say it again? Everytime you post you say something different. What you originally said was a line had a beginning point. And yes, a timeline would have points in it as I've already shown. You don't have to plot it (that's discovery), but it has to contain the points.

Actually you said that time could not have existed forever because everything that has sequence has a beginning and an end point. I proved that wrong by providing real numbers.
Let me try one more time. I think the hangup for you is not realizing there is no such thing as numbers without a random beginning point.

When we attribute any number to a line, it is a random point (zero). A line doesn't really go negative but in order to show that it progresses bi-directionally negative numbers go one direction and positive numbers go the other (everybody knows this, but it is important for this discussion). In actuallity, the numbers are simply segments of continuation that are random and given random values in either AS or metric givens. So again, to measure anything, our measurements are fabricated for meaningful reference, but there is no real measurement of a line.
God measures, but He Himself is measureless. God knows, but is beyond our limitations. God relates to our random incremental steps of duration, but is not limited to our constraints. We have to go through the succession incrementally, God does not.

Then you should have no problem proving it. :rolleyes:
LOL, roll your eyes all you like. God can easily make Abraham Lincoln 'not exist.

You have to concede here. Yes it is hypothetical, but you should have no problem seeing the truth here if you will apply your God-given mind.

Yes or no: Could God, if He wanted to, wipe all evidence of Abraham Lincoln away? If you say no, you don't understand the power of creation at all.
To deny this is about as silly as denying I can remake a sandcastle or paint over a previous picture. Time is not a constraint when one can do something over. God could easily restart history. Time is meaningless except for our random numbers.

I never said that. Leave the strawman arguments behind. What I said was that if God is outside of time, then that tells us something about him. I tells us that he doesn't make decisions. He didn't decide His fate, or ours. There are things we can logically concluse if God were outside of time.
There is a random space between our random measurements. It has meaning only because of the concept of duration/sequence. It however does not apply to things like 'love' for instance. You could randomly measure for a common understanding, but love is not really measurable and neither is a line.

If I decide to wear the yellow shirt today, it is because I previously bought a yellow shirt. In order to do so, yellow has to be in my repetoire of choices. God has always existed. His nature hasn't changed. When we talk of immutability, it is statements like 'forever the same' given in scripture that we refer to. You agree that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever, but recognize that there is a dichotomy as to how he 'grew in wisdom and stature.' Both statements are true.

However there is no evidence that God is outside of time, and no verse in the Bible that you have been able to point to. So the burden of proof remains in your court as I see it.
You rolled your eyes at the proof, remember?

I do no think He can change the past, but I am anxious to be proven wrong. Let's hear your argument.

Done. If it isn't simple, I've nothing left. Either you get it or your brain-washing was 100% effective. The logic of the fact should be screaming in your brain (I'm optimistic at this point, perhaps I'm too much so).

Relevance? Are you suggesting we don't know the points along a timeline, or along a real number line?
Yes. Random and only culturally meaningful. It does help us apply our knowledge of real numbers, but it is bulit on random values.

Scripture never points to God outside of our timeline. Perhaps you'll do better with logic?
I disagree. I believe scripture is rive with and emphatic on this particular.

:rotfl:

So is it really a Lamb? It is really a book? Of course there are symbols in Revelation -- all over it. Notwithstanding - a vision doesn't have to have symbols either.
Yes. Jesus is really there and called the Lamb. Yes, there is a reckoning called the book. I agree the symbols are there, however I disagree that John figuratively talked with an elder. I believe the conversation was real. There is nothing to suggest he did not. Your understanding of prophetic literature needs some work here.

People talk in visions. I'm not sure what your hanging point is here.
Explain. Daniel was talking with angels and God. John was talking with Jesus, angels, elders. This isn't like a pizza anchovie introduced hallucination. This is a specific vision or real encounter (as I believe). John doesn't mention it being a vision. In Rev 4, he says he entered heaven in spirit.

It literally says that God experiences years (taking it woodenly literal). There is a way to read into this verse that God is not inside of time, but it doesn't flow naturally from this verse.

Woodenly literal this verse speaks of "days" and "years" in relation to God. In what reality do you live in where "years" means outside of time? :chuckle:

Taken figurative, this means that God has a broader timetable (there's that word "time" again) than man due to the length of His existence and patience.

chuckle chuckle chuckle....

Here is one reason I seldom engage you. You are a bit too sarcastic for divine discussion with me most of the time. You come across as disingenuine and not really here but to entrench. This kind of posturing makes it pretty much one-sided all the way around and I continue to try to pierce your purposeful obtusion.

You say stupid things in this obtuse-mode and it skirts meaningful discussion where I'm trying to show what I believe is rational, logical, and presentable.

I don't mind you saying it is a figure of speech, I disagree, but it is a good disagreement point and we can look at other scriptures. In context, it is talking about patience. However, if taken literally, it means that God literally experienced a thousand years today (or more if figurative). If this is true, His progression is significantly different than mine and therefore, He is not constrained to my random figures that I hold with the majority of the human race, nor does He experience my duration perception.

This might help with the point: When does a day begin? When the sun sets or rises? My clock says it begins at midnight but my atomic clock connection says it isn't the same from day to day. My calendar leaps every 4th year. Our duration marks are random. We have to divide up the world into time-zones set to the sun's movements. We track by the same mechanisms, but the measures are different. It is dark here and sunny in Australia. I'm getting ready for bed, they are getting up. We are still stuck with American standard measurement while the rest of the world has gone metric.

Just like the folks in Australia are not experiencing the same night I am, God does not experience the same time and duration I do.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I talked to a university trained mathematician at my TKD class the other day. She confirmed that + and - #s go on infinitely in both directions. Endless time is more coherent than timelessness, even for a precise math major.

RobE

I talked to a university trained mathematician at my TKD class the other day. She confirmed that + and - #s go on infinitely in both directions. Endless time is more coherent than timelessness, even for a precise math major.

You might want to consider that a line needs two points to define. Open Theism provides one point - the present. What is the other point?

You might want to consider that a line is indeed only two dimensional. God, to be infinite, would have to exist on more than one plane of existence. If we think of a cube(which is three dimensional and yet not infinite), you might realize that there is more than one direction you might approach a single point from.

This also only addresses real numbers when there are unreal numbers to consider as well. I believe the best way to think of it is if every point in the universe is connected to every other point(omnipresence) in some way. Events might be visualized in the same fashion - timelessness or eternal.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
You might want to consider that a line needs two points to define. Open Theism provides one point - the present. What is the other point?

You might want to consider that a line is indeed only two dimensional. God, to be infinite, would have to exist on more than one plane of existence. If we think of a cube(which is three dimensional and yet not infinite), you might realize that there is more than one direction you might approach a single point from.

This also only addresses real numbers when there are unreal numbers to consider as well. I believe the best way to think of it is if every point in the universe is connected to every other point(omnipresence) in some way. Events might be visualized in the same fashion - timelessness or eternal.

Spatial analogies are very limited when talking about time, which is not space. We can identify objects and events at a specific place and time, but should not confuse the concepts.

Eternal now likes to talk about a timeline that is completed that God is outside of and above, seeing all. This is flawed since time is unidirectional and the future is not actual yet.

X GOD (timeless?)

Eternal now: Creation---------------TIME---------------->

Endless time/duration/sequence/succession (unconditional divine temporality) God, Uncreated, triune Creator/Alpha and Omega:

<--------------past/God-------------------present/God----------------------------------future/God--------------------------->> ('from everlasting to everlasting; who is, was, is to come'; years without end; Ps. 90:1; Ps. 102; Rev. 1:4).

RobE

Spatial analogies are very limited when talking about time, which is not space. We can identify objects and events at a specific place and time, but should not confuse the concepts.

Eternal now likes to talk about a timeline that is completed that God is outside of and above, seeing all. This is flawed since time is unidirectional and the future is not actual yet.

X GOD (timeless?)

Eternal now: Creation---------------TIME---------------->

Endless time/duration/sequence/succession (unconditional divine temporality) God, Uncreated, triune Creator/Alpha and Omega:

<--------------past/God-------------------present/God----------------------------------future/God--------------------------->> ('from everlasting to everlasting; who is, was, is to come'; years without end; Ps. 90:1; Ps. 102; Rev. 1:4).

Here is one argument for absolutism. There can be no "empty" time, the relationalist says. If events occur in a room before and after 11:01 AM, but not exactly at 11:01 AM, must the relationalist say there never was a time of 11:01 AM in the room? To avoid saying "yes," which would be absurd, a relationalist might say 11:01 exists in the room and everywhere else because somewhere outside the room something is happening then, and somehow or other sense can be made of time in the room in terms of these external events. The absolutist then asks us to consider the possibility that the room is the whole universe. In that case, the relationalist response to losing 11:01 AM would probably be to say possible events occur then in the room even if actual events do not. But now look where we are, says the absolutist. If the relational theory is going to consider spacetime points to be permanent possibilities of the location of events, then the relationalist theory collapses into substantivalism. This is because, to a substantivalist, a spacetime point is also just a place where something could happen.

Hartry Field offers another argument for the absolute theory by pointing out that modern physics requires gravitational and electromagnetic fields that cover spacetime. They are states of spacetime. These fields cannot be states of some Newtonian aether, but there must be something to have the field properties. What else except substantive spacetime points? --- IEP​

What happens to time when there are no events if your definition of time is correct?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
We are talking about fundamental issues before creation/matter relating to the eternal God. Speculative physics does not deal with this as much as revelation and philosophy do.

Open Theists usually support presentism, not eternalism, the A-theory of time vs B-theory. There is much technical research. It is a pivotal issue and affects our understanding of foreknowledge, as does various views of sovereignty and providence.

I don't think the risk-free model is the biblical one. It may give us false comfort, but it does not match reality or revelation. This is not a problem, since God is great and God is good.

Simple foreknowledge or middle knowledge offers no providential advantage to God ruling creation. Determinism comes at a high price leaving one with a bad theodicy and distortion of God's character and ways.

Free will theisms are on the right track with Open Theism being an attempt to be more biblical and coherent. Just as Calvinism was tweaked for centuries, so the body of work supporting Open Theism still needs tweaking and expansion, but I am convinced it is the least problematic, most compelling of possible views.

lee_merrill

Free will theisms are on the right track with Open Theism being an attempt to be more biblical and coherent. Just as Calvinism was tweaked for centuries, so the body of work supporting Open Theism still needs tweaking and expansion, but I am convinced it is the least problematic, most compelling of possible views.
Then you can perhaps address for me, this problem:

Deuteronomy 18:22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously.

Blessings,
Lee, who may it be said, is not a determinist

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Then you can perhaps address for me, this problem:

Blessings,
Lee, who may it be said, is not a determinist

God Himself said Hezekiah would die, then changed His mind and added 15 years to his life in response to believing prayer.

Some prophecies are predictive, foretelling, forthtelling, conditional, unconditional, etc.

A verse about true vs false prophets relates to a specific context and specific types of prophecies. This is not usually a text used by Calvinists to object to OT, since it does not pose a problem for any view.

If God tells a prophet something unconditional (no if...then in the prophecy), it will come to pass. Messianic prophecies are like this, as are pronouncements of judgment where God will not relent since the evildoers have crossed a point of no return.

A false prophet will come and say all is well, when God says it is not. A false prophet may also say things presumptiously that God never said, so they will not come to pass.

Isaiah 46 and 48 shows that God can declare specific things and bring them to pass by His ability (nothing to do with foreknowledge nor exhaustive determination). This is different than conditional prophecies like Jonah that may or may not come to pass (explicit in the prophecy from God) depending on people's response to the prophecy.

Thx for your question. Send $5 now.

lee_merrill

If God tells a prophet something unconditional (no if...then in the prophecy), it will come to pass. Messianic prophecies are like this, as are pronouncements of judgment where God will not relent ...
As are statements such as these?

Romans 9:27-29 Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: "Though the number of the Israelites be like the sand by the sea, only the remnant will be saved. For the Lord will carry out his sentence on earth with speed and finality." It is just as Isaiah said previously: "Unless the Lord Almighty had left us descendants, we would have become like Sodom, we would have been like Gomorrah."

Romans 11:26-27 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob. And this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins."

Thx for your question. Send $5 now.
I didn't realize I had to pay for calls to the Open View help line! Can I send a check and then change my mind? :)

Blessings,
Lee

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I didn't realize I had to pay for calls to the Open View help line! Can I send a check and then change my mind? :)

Blessings,
Lee

If God can change His mind (and He can, consistent with His character), you are in His image, so feel free to change yours.

lee_merrill

... so feel free to change yours.
"Baaack last year, when I went insane,
I just shopped for a slightly used brain."
;)

Sung to the tune of "My World is Blue", from a long-ago Mad Magazine issue.

Blessings,
Lee <- "New, new, I'm so much new, I'm a new man, but I'm not sure who"

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think RobE is playing along with AJ here, and, by adopting AJ's position, showing that whatever actually occurs, even if guessed, is exactly what a perfect God would have guessed. In other words, if God guesses, His guess would always be the guess that actually occurs, for God would not be making multiple guesses.
No. Rob is not playing along. Playing along would be saying "God cannot guess" or "if God could guess He would be the same as a human"

Redefining "best guess" as "the guess that eventually turns out to be correct" is not playing along.

It's similar to this:
first guy: "so God does His best sin"
second guy: "the best sin is the one that doesn't go against God's will"
first guy: "ah, no, by definition sin is against God's will"
first guy: "you'll have to explain how such a thing is possible, it doesn't make sense"
first guy: "but that doesn't make sense in the light of the definition of sin"

The second guy isn't "playing along". The second guy is not making sense. Instead, the second guy should focus on God's ability to sin or not and THAT would be playing along.

Now when you or I guess at something, we usually throw out a few guesses. If pinned down, we may even state our 'best guess' on some matter and stand pat.
This isn't what RobE is saying, as you state below. I'm glad to know that at least you know what a "best guess" is.

AMR continues:
I am not sure from RobE's posts that he is assuming multiple guesses by God for the sake of argument.
It doesn't matter how many guesses there are. There is only the 1 best guess in the end that is even a part of the context of this conversation. But it's a minor point.

AMR continues:
Instead RobE is saying that among guesses, the one that actually occurs was the best guess, that is, the one that won, happened, etc. That sort of 'best guess' is NOT what I mean when I stated earlier, "if pinned down we may even state our 'best guess'", for this means only that our guess is what we think to be the most plausible based on the information we have in front of us--it might be our best guess, but it may very well be a wrong guess, too.
Precisely! You couldn't have stated better that RobE is wrong any other way.

RobE, please listen to AMR and be humble enough to admit you were wrong. You'll be able to salvage a good conversation with AJ and you feel good about it, too.

Have I made the situation worse or better?
Better.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Post #(s) for reference please? Thanks.

And here's another RobE quote for you. Although with your definition of a line, I'm not sure you will comprehend what RobE is saying here: "You have to admit that the 'best guess' is the guess that gets it right."

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perhaps if you would clarify 'how' it is wrong, I might retract my assertion. Or, you might profer your own definiton of "best guess". If you've already done so, then I missed it.

2+2 = ?

a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. 4

Say for argument's sake we don't know the answer yet. We must guess as to the correct answer. Which guess is best? None, unless we offer up the idea that one guess is superior to the next since all four are guesses. We might have other knowledge which allows us to guess better. For instance, we might know that 2+1=3, so C is wrong; 2+0=2, so B is wrong; or that 2 is greater than 1 so A is wrong. This would leave us with option D as the best guess available because our knowledge of other facts have eliminated the other options.
The best guess is "c". Remember, we don't know the answer. And if by saying "yet" you mean we can figure it out before we choose, then it isn't a guess. If you want to keep it a guess, then knowing 2+1 or 2+0 or what number is greater than another won't help. The best guess could be any of a, b, c, or d. Again, if you want to point out that we can determine what 2+2 is before we give our answer, then, again, I have to point out it is no longer a guess.

Is your point that, to God, figuring out the future is just like adding 2 and 2? Then simply say "God cannot guess". Don't be stupid and imply that if God cannot guess therefore the definition of "guess" changes.

But let's assume you are saying that God can figure out the future like we can figure out 2+2. Your example is poor. When multiple wills are involved, knowing the future exhaustively is a logical contradiction. Because knowing the future changes the future.

RobE said:
However, once the 'best' possible guess is made, then there can be no 'better' guess according to the definition of 'best'. In fact the 'best' possible guess must be in fact the known outcome otherwise it wasn't the 'best'.
Lon, please take note.

RobE said:
AJ makes a contradiction here when He says that 1. God makes the 'best' guess(or Universe's best guess); 2. but is not always right. The two are contradictory.
It is contradictory according to a wrong definition of "best guess".

RobE said:
Now I wouldn't say that one guess is superior to the other in the strict sense of the word. Subjectively, the 'best guess' excludes definite knowledge to be called a guess at all. But objectively when we view the entire set of possible guesses then one of the possible guesses must equate to the outcome. This would be the Universe's best guess, or God's guess. Objectively, one guess is superior to the next until we get to the Universe's 'best' guess.

In other words, if God gets it wrong then He didn't make the best possible guess at all. Some element of present knowledge would have eluded Him and another entity who had far less knowledge would indeed be just as capable as God of making the 'best' guess.

I accept that God always makes the 'best' guess possible which is knowledge itself. I deny that God 'guesses' as all.
Present is not enough to know the future exhaustively. Your whole argument fails on that simple fact.

RobE

What would your definiton of the best possible guess be?

The best guess is "c". Remember, we don't know the answer. And if by saying "yet" you mean we can figure it out before we choose, then it isn't a guess. If you want to keep it a guess, then knowing 2+1 or 2+0 or what number is greater than another won't help. The best guess could be any of a, b, c, or d. Again, if you want to point out that we can determine what 2+2 is before we give our answer, then, again, I have to point out it is no longer a guess.

Correct, as I pointed out before. When you get it right then it is no longer a guess, it is exhaustive definite knowledge(the best possible guess based upon complete knowledge). This is the point of the argument.

Is your point that, to God, figuring out the future is just like adding 2 and 2? Then simply say "God cannot guess". Don't be stupid and imply that if God cannot guess therefore the definition of "guess" changes.

I've simply stated that if God is wrong then He didn't make the best guess possible. Would you disagree?

But let's assume you are saying that God can figure out the future like we can figure out 2+2. Your example is poor. When multiple wills are involved, knowing the future exhaustively is a logical contradiction. Because knowing the future changes the future.

How does knowing the future change the future?

It is contradictory according to a wrong definition of "best guess".

What is the correct defintion of the best possible guess?

Perhaps you would claim that it was the guess that was completely wrong.

Present is not enough to know the future exhaustively. Your whole argument fails on that simple fact.

Why not? How much knowledge would it take to know the next instant or action?

In other words, how much present knowledge would it take to eliminate 'guessing' altogether?

I would appreciate any proof you have that unquestionably proves complete present knowledge is insufficient to yield the best possible guess(which would equate to knowledge) of the future.

a posteriori
1 : inductive
2 : relating to or derived by reasoning from observed facts

Thanks,
Rob Mauldin

godrulz

Hall of Fame
It is a straw man to say OT reduces God to being surprised as if He is not intelligent and omnipotent. There is a difference between possible, certain, actual, probable, etc. God's best guesses (poor terminology similar to wrongly saying that God makes mistakes) are better than our near certainties or knowledge for sure.

Each issue must be looked at separately. Certainly God knowing Peter and Judas' heart and character exhaustively allows for proximal knowledge. This is different than God knowing all contingencies, like random bingo and lottery numbers, from before creation (or all chess games ever played, move by move, trillions of years before chess was even invented by man, not God).

God is the ultimate Chessmaster, omnicompetent, not omnicausal. Bobby Fischer would not stand a chance against the risen Christ in chess (yet possibly could have beat Him when Jesus was a child...hey, this could be a good thread or thesis).

Status
Not open for further replies.