ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When "the full number of the Gentiles come in" (Rom. 11:25). So then how can God know the full number has been reached, if repentance is a free choice?
God sets the number. When that number is reached, He's got that number. Sheesh.

and how can God know then "all Israel will be saved" then? (Rom. 11:26-27)
He's very smart. But if they aren't saved, it won't be God's fault.

I do not believe God makes all decisions, no.
So there are decisions that God didn't know about before the foundation of the world?

Yorzhik said:
Would you say that God knows the future exhaustively? Would you also say that God is the first cause?
Yes to both of these questions...
Then there is only one cause. Whatever the first cause caused, is the responsibility of the first cause if it is exhaustively foreknown what the first cause will cause.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, if you are going to start stating that "AMR believes this or that" I humbly request that you quote me to demonstrate you have it correct.

Nowhere have I made a statement that God decreed evil. Please review this, this, and this if you want to know what I really believe. I will go out on a limb here and assume you won't read these items, so the short answer is: God is not the author of sin.
I think I've quoted you correctly. You say, and I quote, "Events occur because God decreed them". Would there be such a thing as an event of evil?

Here was what I claimed you believe: "Would you disagree you claim that God decrees evil according to the Settled View?" You sound like you want to say you disagree, but your quote says you agree.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
No, but to come down to mystery's level and negate people's precious salvation over peripheral, divisive issues is irrational and indefensible.
I have not done this.

I do not say your views are irrational if I disagree with them. They are possible, but not always plausible.
And yet you seem incapable of refuting any of them.

What I am objecting to is how people play god and judge other's motives, salvation, integrity, etc. off of limited knowledge from posts on a forum.
I've not done this either!

People who disagree with you are not unsaved, necessarily.
No duh!

I tell you what godrulz, if you don't want to be labeled a hypocrite, I'd stay away from accusing anyone of being irrational if I were you.

Resting in Him,
Clete

RobE

Then there is only one cause. Whatever the first cause caused, is the responsibility of the first cause if it is exhaustively foreknown what the first cause will cause.

That's right! And ultimate responsibility was taken up with the Cross! Now if you meant that Christ is responsible because He sinned, then you have a skewed and perverse sense of responsibility. Even though, He took responsibility for sin through giving His own life up as a remedy doesn't mean that He participated and sinned Himself. Whatever responsibility the First Cause had towards creation was satisified through the elimination of the penalty for sin.

And who's to say that God 'owed' anything to those He created. God is God, after all!

What does responsibility mean to you? How would God be less responsible for sin if He stood by and watched vs. foreknew what would happen and allowed?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I agree, and the Spirit of Christ is the Holy Spirit, essentially. And yes, Jesus had a human spirit, yet as our spirit is one with the Holy Spirit, Christ's was also one with the Holy Spirit to an even greater degree, I would conclude--and thus Jesus' human spirit did not die,
If Jesus did not die, you are still in your sins.

"Into your hands I commit my spirit".
You are reading more into this sentence than is stated in the text itself. There are a lot of thing that "into your hands" could mean.

Is it your belief that Abraham was in God's presence after his death?

The teaching of Scripture is clear. Jesus, God the Son, descended to the place of the righteous dead(Ephesians 4:8-10), which WAS NOT in the presence of God. The righteous went to this paradise precisely because their sin had not yet been atoned for.

But "indestructible life" does not mean it can't be destroyed indefinitely, it means it can't be destroyed.
Are you an annihilationist or what?

To die does not mean that one has been detroyed.

This will mean such folks who are thus scornful, will repeat the various heresies--creeds were written for a reason.

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it." (George Santayana)
So be it!

I'm not kidding Lee! I will not be swayed by the teachings of men. You will either refute my position by the Scripture and/or sound reason or I will not be moved.
"Here I stand . . . I can do no other. So help me God" - Martin Luther

Resting in Him,
Clete

themuzicman

If the Spirit of Christ is the Holy Spirit, then did Jesus have a Spirit before the Holy Spirit came upon Him at his baptism?

Muz

lee_merrill

God sets the number. When that number is reached, He's got that number.
This you know, exactly, how? I would say God intends for as many to be saved as possible--the Son of Man did not come to seek and to save the established quota...

Lee: and how can God know then "all Israel will be saved" then? (Rom. 11:26-27)

Yorzhik: He's very smart.
If free choices cannot be known even by God, then this is still unknowable.

So there are decisions that God didn't know about before the foundation of the world?
I believe he knows all decisions, such as knowing our prayers we will pray, and then "before they call, I will answer."

But Rob's point is pertinent, seeing what is imminent and not acting to prevent it involves you in responsibility too--as does knowing what might happen, and choosing to create--so Open Theists have this question to answer too.

lee_merrill

If Jesus did not die, you are still in your sins.
We are discussing what it means to say Jesus died, not whether he did so.

There are a lot of thing that "into your hands" could mean.
It does imply his spirit did not die, though.

Is it your belief that Abraham was in God's presence after his death?
Yes, as was Lazarus (of the crumbs under the rich man's table).

The teaching of Scripture is clear. Jesus, God the Son, descended to the place of the righteous dead...
Well, this is a disputable area, and an incidental point to the question of what Jesus' death might mean concerning his nature and spirit.

To die does not mean that one has been destroyed.
Agreed.

I'm not kidding Lee! I will not be swayed by the teachings of men.
Why then did God appoint some to be teachers?

From morning till evening he explained and declared to them the kingdom of God and tried to convince them about Jesus from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets. (Acts 28:23)

They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read. (Neh. 8:8)

There is a place for this, but there also are indeed precepts of man that are like the Pharisees, so we must sift teaching, and teachers. Greg Boyd teaches, correct? You do too.

Blessings,
Lee

lee_merrill

If the Spirit of Christ is the Holy Spirit, then did Jesus have a Spirit before the Holy Spirit came upon Him at his baptism?
He had the Holy Spirit from the beginning--let's read the theology books please, people have considered such questions, and it's helpful to review what others have found and considered. So I believe the Holy Spirit was anointing him for service, but God is always a unity, even in the incarnation, even from Jesus' birth.

Blessings,
Lee

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God purposed to have a people in Israel and the Church. He is more than capable to bring this about no matter how long or how much effort it takes. He does not have to know whether Tom or Dick will be saved before they are born to know that some will receive Him and some will not. Knowing the past and present exhaustively allows one to make some statements about the future in general or specific terms.

lee_merrill

He does not have to know whether Tom or Dick will be saved before they are born to know that some will receive Him and some will not.
So all could not possibly refuse? Or all might repent, and then more than a remnant would be saved, contrary to God's statement:

Romans 9:27-28 Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: "Though the number of the Israelites be like the sand by the sea, only the remnant will be saved. For the Lord will carry out his sentence on earth with speed and finality."

Knowing the past and present exhaustively allows one to make some statements about the future in general or specific terms.
A remnant will be saved? again, it came down to just Noah on earth once, and what if it did again, and that one person did not repent?

For when what is predicted is free will choices (i.e. what is predicted is choices themselves, and not results dependent on choices) then the Open View must say it cannot be sure.

Blessings,
Lee

RobE

OT believes in 2 motifs (some of future unsettled, some settled). Molinism is still essentially exhaustive definite foreknowledge (all future known as settled), but in a convoluted way. Its 'middle knowledge and counterfactuals of freedom' compromise libertarian freedom and make possible knowledge certain when the concept is incoherent.

William Lane Craig is Molinist. Boyd may be neo-Molinist. Boyd is OT, but Craig is not.

Of course I disagree with your analysis that Molinism is convoluted any more than libertarian freedom is.

Molinism is based upon a series of If-Then statements which result in mathematically calculating the 'thens' when all of the 'ifs' are foreknown. It's the same type of logic you use in figuring out the future. If A is true, then B will be true. If C is true, then D will be true.

What I think is overlooked is that 'If A is true', then A must be preceeded by a set of truths itself. In order for A to be true, then X must preceed it!

Even when considering the absurd idea of LFW, there must be truths which preceed it. There isn't a conscious at all if there isn't a person. There's no decision to make if there isn't a stimulus.

Molinism's basis is knowing and understanding the stimuli.....

1 John 3:20 whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.​

Psalm 44:20 If we had forgotten the name of our God
or spread out our hands to a foreign god,

21 would not God have discovered it,
since he knows the secrets of the heart?​

Luke 16:14 The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus. 15He said to them, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight.​

Acts 15:8 God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us.​

....and our reaction to it. Even Eve was stimulated to sin by the serpent, and then Adam, who was not fooled, was stimulated by the environment. God's initmate knowledge of our hearts combined with His intimate knowledge of our environment leads uncontestedly towards complete knowledge of our actions.

Molinism was established to safeguard free will from the determinism of the Thomists which became the foundation for Calvinism. The central theme to Thomism is the system of Divine Decrees. Whereas the central theme of Molinism is its system of grace in which man is a (un)cooperative agent acting within his will freely(through acceptance or rejection of sufficient grace).

LFW throws everything out with the wash and doesn't explain where the 'liberty' of freeness comes from. It's a mystery which is more confounding than the compatibility of foreknowledge and free will ever has been.

This 'middle' knowledge that you speak of is where God is allowing a man to choose without a decree; the moment of cooperation or rejection. God's intimate knowledge of creation allows Him to know the outcome nonetheless. God knows us better than we know ourselves --- just ask Peter.

Rob Mauldin

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yes, as was Lazarus (of the crumbs under the rich man's table).
What then is "Abraham's Bosom"? (Luke 16)

Well, this is a disputable area, and an incidental point to the question of what Jesus' death might mean concerning his nature and spirit.
How is this disputable?

Ephesians 4:8 Therefore He says:
“ When He ascended on high,
He led captivity captive,
And gave gifts to men.”

9 (Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)​

If it is agreed that death does not mean that one is destroyed then why did you bring it up?

Why then did God appoint some to be teachers?
Teaches of God's word, you moron!

Did you not notice that I quoted Martin Luther?

From morning till evening he explained and declared to them the kingdom of God and tried to convince them about Jesus from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets. (Acts 28:23)

They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read. (Neh. 8:8)
Exactly what I want you to do, if you can! If I am wrong, show me from Scripture! Then, you will be one of those teachers that God appointed.

There is a place for this, but there also are indeed precepts of man that are like the Pharisees, so we must sift teaching, and teachers. Greg Boyd teaches, correct? You do too.
I have no problem with teaching, I have a problem with you telling me I'm wrong because so-and-so disagree with me or because the majority disagrees with me. I don't care about what someone else thinks nor do I care about following the crowd. If I am wrong then prove it with Scripture and plain reason or show me how others have done the same, otherwise I'm not interested.

Resting in Him,
Clete

godrulz

Hall of Fame
When one gets into the details of Molinism, it fails to include all issues relating to counterfactuals of freedom. It may talk about 'would' counterfactuals, but fails to account for may or may not/might or might not 'obtain'. The academic issues are very technical and include modal logic, etc. Boyd is readable for showing wrong assumptions in Molinism.

Cause-effect does not apply to moral creation like it does to inanimate creation.

Desires are not causative. There is nothing certain trillions of years ago to exhaustively know that I would type these exact words, including the spelling mistakes I just corrected. There is no antecedent, predictable condition to have middle knowledge when I am freely and creatively composing in real time. Remote vs proximal knowledge is another issue.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
My objection was aimed at your claim that God died.
Your objection to my claim that God died was based on your presumption that death meant that one ceases to exist or is extinguished. If that's what it meant to die, I would understand and agree with your objection but it isn't. Death is merely a separation. Physical death is separation of your spirit from your body. Spiritual death is separation from God.

You were not making any clear distinctions as far as the incarnation is concerned before. Later I see you began to do so, in light of that, the objection may no longer hold (depending on what you mean below). In the context of what you say here, we agree, Lord Jesus died a real human death. Even if it was not permanent, all the vital functions of his body ceased and his soul was separated from his body, hence it was as complete as any human death can possibly be.
This does not go far enough. You seem to be missing the big picture here. What was Jesus doing by dying in the first place? Why was it necessary for Him to die? What was it that He was undoing on the cross? Was it not the fall of man that He was dealing with? Doesn't the problem go all the way back to Genesis and the fall of Adam in the Garden of Eden? Would you say that when Adam fell, did he die physically or spiritually? Both, right? How then would Jesus' physical death as a human male fix the physical and spiritual death of all mankind?

Hmmm, no, only the damned are “spiritually dead” and separated from God.
Well aren't we all damned before we get saved? You're a Catholic and so I know you believe in original sin and all that but even if children are not born in sin, which is what I believe, that is only because Jesus died on the cross, right? Can you point out a person that you know of who wasn't spiritually dead before his having put his faith in Christ for salvation?

Christ who is both perfect God and perfect Man and who is one with the Father (John 10:30) could in no way be separated from God or be spiritually dead.
The could you explain what you think it means for God the Father to have forsaken Jesus? (Matthew 27:46)

He gave up his soul at the cross to the Father right before he died (Luke 23:46). Neither his human soul nor the Son was separated from the Father at any time.
This seems to me like pure conjecture. I understand that this is what you believe but I've shown Biblically that Jesus DESCENDED to the place of the righteous dead (i.e. Abraham's Bosom or Paradise).

I'll ask you the same questions that I ask Lee. What is Abraham's Bosom? And what is Paul talking about in the following passage..

Ephesians 4:8 Therefore He says:
“ When He ascended on high,
He led captivity captive,
And gave gifts to men.”

9 (Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)​

He did not go to the Father bodily right away; this he did after his bodily resurrection.
Again, this seems to me to be pure conjecture. The text does not say that he had not yet ascended bodily to the Father but simply the HE had not ascended to His Father. Your addition of "bodily" is only your theology being read into the text, isn't it?

However, his soul, which descended into Hell was united to the second person of the Trinity at all times and logically also to the Father and the Holy Ghost. The hypostatic union was never broken.
WHAT?

Do you have ANY Scripture to back such an idea up? God the Father descending into Hell? Isn't that a bit of a stretch just to keep your Augustinian theology intact? Jesus, God the Son, is the one who died, not the Father and not the Holy Spirit. There is no Biblical support for any other position.

Your emphasis in the word “HIM” here makes it seems as if what you mean is that the divine person, the Son, died, so that for the time he was dead, in the Blessed Trinity only the Father and the Holy Ghost were alive and then the Son was “resurrected” and all the tree persons of the Trinity were alive again.
That is precisely what Jesus Himself says...

Revelation 1:18 I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.​

If this is really what you mean, then my initial objection holds, for you are saying again that God, or at least a “part” of God died.
Yeah! That's the gospel Evoken! Your entire spiritual life is dependent upon the death of God!

You are saying that Christ died not as man but as God, that the divine nature was put to death and not just the human nature.
Meaning that God the Son suffered separation from the Father, not that He was destroyed or that He ceased to exist.

This notion can in no way be admitted, and for various reasons, one of them being that it destroys the integrity of the Blessed Trinity, for if the Son died, then so too the Holy Spirit must have died since he proceeds from the Father and the Son (Nicene Creed).
I don't care anything about the Nicene Creed. The Bible teaches me that God the Son died for my sin and that's what you're up against.

This idea also leads you into a separation of essences between each person. You would no longer have three persons sharing the one divine essence, but three separate essences, and thus three separate gods (Tritheism).
This is speculation at best. The fact is that the Bible does not explain the Trinity to us. There is a sense in which God is One, and another sense in which God is three distinct persons. How that works, we are not told in Scripture. My position is simply that in whatever respect God the Son is distinct from God the Father, He was separated from Him for three days. It is not my position that Jesus ceased being God the Son.

There are some things that must be understood about the incarnation. Christ became man to redeem man; the nature he assumed is what is redeemed.
But it was precisely because of His divine nature that made that redemption possible.

So, the divine nature could not be fused with the human nature, because then the nature Christ assumed was not truly human but something else.
You don't know this either Evoken! Are you going to tell me that you know enough about the nature of humanity and the exact nature of the incarnation to be able to say with certainty that humanity is fundamentally incompatible with the divine? Were we not created in His image for the purpose of being in the direct presence of God Himself? You simply have no basis whatsoever for making such an assertion. Neither is the idea that Jesus had two natures Biblical in the first place. Jesus was and is God become man.

If that is the case then his sacrifice would simply not apply to humans, nor could his resurrection be an example of real human resurrection. St. Paul could not draw a parallel between Adam and Christ as men (Romans 5:17, 1 Corinthians 15:22), if Christ were not fully human.
Jesus was fully human and fully God. There is no contradiction there Evoken. It is your theology that teaches you otherwise, not the Bible.

Nor could it be said, that he was like us all ways except in sin (Hebrews 4:15). So, the integrity of the human nature Christ assumed must be maintained for the sacrifice to be applicable to humans. This is one of the reasons why it is said that the union did not take place in the nature (mixing both human and divine), and it is said instead that it took place in the person.
This is nothing but theologians making things more complicated than they need to be. The Bible says that the Logos of God, God the Son, became a man. It's no more complicated than that.

As far as the value of the sacrifice goes, in order for it to be of infinite value the divine nature did not need to die. Nor is it needed that the divine nature be mixed with the human nature. Rather, the infinite value of the sacrifice emerges due to the person that was sacrificed. And by person it is meant: “the actual self or individual personality of a human being” or “an individual substance of a rational nature”. And the person of the Son is what Christ’s human nature had united to it that made it of infinite value.
What makes a person who they are Evoken? Is it not their soul/spirit? It isn't their physical body! I will survive my physical death with my memories and personality intact. My body influences who I am but does not define me as a person. It is my heart, my soul/spirit that defines who I am. And if that which died on the cross was merely human, it was not sufficient to pay the sin debt of the entire human race. If that were the case then it was not necessary for God the Son to become a man in the first place. God could have just as easily created a new, sinless version of Adam and had Adam Mark II immediately executed (before he had a chance to rebel) as a sacrifice for the race of Adam Mark I. No, God the Son became a man because what needed to be done could not have been done any other way.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Status
Not open for further replies.