ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
It is the wages of sin, but as far as it being a 'legal sentence' what proof have you.

Proof? The Scriptures teach Adam was created under the Law of God; obligated to obey God and all that is lawful. Adam broke God's Law. He became an "offender." He committed a crime. God sentenced him to death for his crime. This sentence brought a curse upon A&E and all mankind. This is all legal rendering. Thus, the solution also required a legal redemption. Forgiveness of sins is forensic in nature. Jesus Christ became a curse for His children, and paid the death sentence imposed upon His children, in order to set them free from the condemnation of the Law.

"For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. . . Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree." Galatians 3:10, 13

Certainly death has no power over those without sin, but what makes death unnatural?

Spiritually unnatural.

Man was created good; made in the image of God. Death is an evil, and is contrary to the nature of good God. God is Spirit and life, and death has no part in Him.

The body of Christ suffered. It didn't merely 'represent' suffering.

Jesus Christ is not an it. Jesus Christ suffered in body and soul, but was sustained by the Father and the Spirit, even unto death.

As the 'branches' our sins were upon the cross with the Vine. In effect, we as the body of Christ, suffered and already 'died' to fulfill death's hold over us. However, the Vine who was sinless, couldn't be held by death because it was powerless against Him. He therefore 'rose' and took us, His body, with Him. Death has no claim against His body anymore since the 'price' has already been paid!

I do not want to be disagreeable with you regarding this, because we are taught to reckon ourselves as crucified with Christ, and risen with Him. However, I have trouble with you using the "Vine/Branches" metaphor in this regard. It is not taught in context of the Son's work on the cross, but in the context of the Holy Spirit's indwelling work of sanctification, and regeneration that releases souls from the condemnation of the Law and converts and plants them by grace, through faith in Christ. I agree with you that it is only in Christ that we find life, but this redemption to life was caused and impetrated only by what He experienced in His sufferings; not by anything we have actually experienced. Christ represented His church on the cross; the church was not actually there.

I think if you read all these Scriptures again, you will see they emphasize and teach the work and fruits of the Holy Spirit more than the Son (again, another vital distinction made amongst the Persons of the Trinity):

Romans 7:4 So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God. 5For when we were controlled by the sinful nature,[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death.

Romans 8:10 But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

Romans 12:4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.

1 Corinthians 12:24 .....But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

27Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.​

In opposition to Calvinism, traditional Christianity has proclaimed that Christ's sacrifice was sufficient for 'all to be saved' and not just for the elect.

Actually, the teaching that Christ's atonement was infinite and therefore sufficient to save the world and all in the world, is also taught by Calvinists. There is no limitation on the powers of the blood of Christ to save. The "limitation" of Christ's atonement has to do with application of Godly election. God did not intend that Christ would offer His blood universally for all mankind. If this had been God's will, and the atonement of Christ was universal, then there would be no teaching of souls being judged for their sins and being cast into Hell. We would all be teaching Universalism, for all men would be Christians.

Even Arminians teach that the atonement of Jesus Christ did not universally save all men. They also teach a "Limited Atonement." However, instead of acknowledging that the Father determined who the Son would die for, say that Christ did die for all, but the Holy Spirit fails to convince and convict the entire world of righteousness. Christ's atonement becomes limited due to the choices and decisions of sinners, rather than God. The "sufficiency" of the cross becomes insufficient because of the will-power of wicked men.

So who is declaring the atonement of Christ was not sufficient to save all? Arminians, with their version of how the atonement is limited. They teach a limitation of Godly power to save. Calvinists teach an atonement that is limited only in application by grace. Christ's atonement was sufficient in power to save all, but God never willed to save all, and bestows His love, compassion, and grace on an elect people.

Anyone who became a branch would enjoy the mercy of salvation, but those who refused the Vine would not receive the merits of Christ's sacrifice.

This is the Arminian view.

It could then be said that Christ died only for the branches and that Christ's sacrifice was sufficient for 'all to be saved' simultaneously.

I suppose, but it makes Christ's atonement less than efficacious. Christ's blood was sufficient to save all, but it did not prove to be efficacious, due to the unbelief and choices of sinners. Christ ended up dying only for those who would choose to accept His blood sacrifice for sins. That is the Arminian view.

The Calvinist believes the blood of Christ was totally efficacious, for His sacrifice saved 100% all of those the Father elected to give to His Son to redeem. Jesus told the Father He would lose none of those the Father gave Him. (John 17:12, 10:28)

If the blood of Christ was sufficient to save all, but failed to save all, then the atonement of Jesus Christ was not efficacious. Arminians say the Father wills all to be saved, and Christ died for all so that they could be saved . . .but what did the Holy Spirit do? Did He call all men universally, but fail to convince sinners of the good news of salvation? Or has He failed to get the gospel to every human being, giving them a chance to decide before they died, or have multitudes never heard the name of Jesus Christ? Can you see how the Holy Spirit failing in His commission to call men to faith in Christ disrupts the Holy Trinity? How could the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father and Son, fail to accomplish the will of the Father and the cross work of the Son?

No. . .this is not the teaching of the Holy Scriptures. The bible teaches that the Father elected a people to inherit glory with Christ before the creation; that the Son was sent into the world to represent and redeem these elect people, and that the Holy Spirit is commissioned to call each and every one of these elect people, regenerating them to new spiritual life, gifting them with faith to believe in the Father and the Son, and to repent from their sins. This sure salvation was established by Covenant between the Godhead, promised throughout history, performed in the world, and the elect church of God is the beneficiary of this wonderful contract.

Christ, and His body, would be the only thing saved in all of creation. Pelagians couldn't claim to be able to save themselves and in fact all of the heresies would be refuted. As Augustine said 'act like the elect and become the elect'.

Becoming a branch requires grace to inspire faith to join with grace and make it effecacious; and God has promised universal sufficient Grace to obtain faith. This does NOT preclude God from having knowledge of who's names are written in the Book of Life. In fact, that's a totally different issue. The following scriptures are true within this line of thinking......even though I might disagree with the author's conclusions.

O.K. We are down to the matter of whether the grace of God is common to all men, or not. This is always the bottom line of any discussion of soteriology.

You are saying that grace "inspires" faith, but the branches must cooperate with that grace to make it efficacious. That is synergism. And in order to believe synergism exists between God and sinners, one must believe that God gives the enabling grace to cooperate to all men. So we are still facing universalism, are we not?

I contend that God's election of souls is particular in nature, and that the Son's atonement and redemptive work on the cross is also particular in nature. Thus, the commission and callings of the Holy Spirit is also for a particular people, and not mankind at large.

I also contend that these particular people are saved by grace alone, and not by any works, actions, or decisions made on their part. Thus, grace itself is also particular to the elect and not known by the world at large. This particular grace is freely given, unconditionally to only those elect by God. Faith that justifies the elect, is the spiritual fruit of the indwelling Holy Spirit who brings this uncommon grace to the sons of God. (Royal adoption!)

For the grace of God aways saves. The grace of God is always efficacious, just as the blood of our High Priest, Jesus Christ, is always efficacious. The grace of God and the blood of God cannot fail to save sinners.

To say so makes the grace of God and the blood of Jesus Christ insufficient to save souls.

Nang​

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I simply don't understand what you are saying here. Can you flesh it out a little?
I can. But it will take more time than I have at the moment to do it the way I want.

If a Settled Viewer is honest they would admit: since God is transcendent and God doing bad things (from our perspective) is actually good (from God's perspective); we cannot trust any promises of God because God breaking promises is only bad from our perspective, but would be good from God's perspective. And God's perspective is the only one that matters.

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The Son of Man died on the cross, not God the Son, the second person of the Godhead. The Scriptures consistently use the first designation when referring to the humanity of Christ, the second when referring to the divinity of Christ. The divine did not die on the cross. That is the core issue that is being misunderstood. God cannot die and His creation continue to exist. There is only one God, comprising one eternal essence. The distinctive offices (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) of that single essence do not divide that essence into three parts.

The three persons, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are the one God.

I am glad that neither Clete nor AMR nor varying understandings (within reason) of the incarnation determine my eternal destiny (Jn. 3:16; Jn. 1:12; Jn. 14:6).

Some suggest that the Word is eternal, but Son/Father nomenclature is more applicable after creation for human comprehension. There are 3 eternal, personal distinctions in the one God, but Father-Son does not have to be the label from before creation, necessarily.

God cannot die in His uncreated, immortal, eternal spirit, in total, but the one who died, the God-Man, was fully God.

Surely hair-splitting among people who both affirm the Trinity and Deity of Christ cannot be a heaven-hell issue. Most believers would just go 'huh' and are saved. Do we become unsaved because we side with Clete or AMR or a hybrid view?!

Calvinism is problematic, but does not have to be eternally fatal. I consider Sproul and Piper and Packer to be brothers in Christ. Whitefield and Wesley were Calv vs Arm, yet both saved, don't cha think?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I can. But it will take more time than I have at the moment to do it the way I want.

Basically, since God is transcendent and God doing bad things (from our perspective) is actually good (from God's perspective); we cannot trust any promises of God because God breaking promises is only bad from our perspective, but would be good from God's perspective.

:help: ?!

Evoken

Actually, the teaching that Christ's atonement was infinite and therefore sufficient to save the world and all in the world, is also taught by Calvinists. There is no limitation on the powers of the blood of Christ to save. The "limitation" of Christ's atonement has to do with application of Godly election. God did not intend that Christ would offer His blood universally for all mankind. If this had been God's will, and the atonement of Christ was universal, then there would be no teaching of souls being judged for their sins and being cast into Hell. We would all be teaching Universalism, for all men would be Christians.

Calvinists teach an atonement that is limited only in application by grace. Christ's atonement was sufficient in power to save all, but God never willed to save all, and bestows His love, compassion, and grace on an elect people.

Well Nang we are in agreement here :)

Evo

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Some suggest that the Word is eternal, but Son/Father nomenclature is more applicable after creation for human comprehension. There are 3 eternal, personal distinctions in the one God, but Father-Son does not have to be the label from before creation, necessarily.
Huh? So the use of these "nomenclatures" is applicable after creation? Why then, for example, do the Scriptures speak of the Son existing in eternity before creation?

God cannot die in His uncreated, immortal, eternal spirit, in total, but the one who died, the God-Man, was fully God.
It is very difficult to decipher your metaphysical language. Please speak plainly. Are you implying that while the whole God ("in total") did not die, but a portion ("the one who died") of that whole God died on the cross? Clarify please, plainly. You have a propensity of hiding behind words that carry huge amounts of entropy, thereby shielding yourself and leaving you plenty of wiggle-room to later claim, "what I really mean is this or that". Say what you really mean succinctly.

Surely hair-splitting among people who both affirm the Trinity and Deity of Christ cannot be a heaven-hell issue. Most believers would just go 'huh' and are saved. Do we become unsaved because we side with Clete or AMR or a hybrid view?!
I assume you do not think the doctrine of the incarnation is "hair-splitting". Do you or do you not agree to the Chalcedonian description of the Incarnation? I think you do so say so clearly. Simple answer, please. If you do not, please plainly explain where and why you disagree with the description.

Calvinism is problematic, but does not have to be eternally fatal. I consider Sproul and Piper and Packer to be brothers in Christ. Whitefield and Wesley were Calv vs Arm, yet both saved, don't cha think?
Depends on the topic at hand, don't cha think? The topic currently at hand is the deity of Christ expressed in the Incarnation and His atoning death. I don't think the matter is a hair-splitting discussion, but a fundamental issue in the faith. We get things wrong, we go off worshipping idols, and not the God of the Scriptures. Making a statement that this or that is "problematic" adds nothing to the discussion.

Last edited:

RobE

Proof? The Scriptures teach Adam was created under the Law of God; obligated to obey God and all that is lawful. Adam broke God's Law.

Here is an underlying problem of Calvinism when sufficient grace is considered.

Spiritually unnatural.

I was speaking of nature, not supernature.

Man was created good; made in the image of God. Death is an evil, and is contrary to the nature of good God. God is Spirit and life, and death has no part in Him.

Is it your claim then that animals who haven't sinned won't die because death is an 'evil'? Furthermore an evil which is a matter of divine government.

I do not want to be disagreeable with you regarding this, because we are taught to reckon ourselves as crucified with Christ, and risen with Him. However, I have trouble with you using the "Vine/Branches" metaphor in this regard.

Well, we could use the highpriest/church, king/servants, or any other relational metaphor you wish to use. Paul said.....

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.​

...and I find this significant. Without being within the body of Christ I won't escape damnation. How does Christ's suffering take away sins or establish Him as a scapegoat according to Calvinism?

I agree with you that it is only in Christ that we find life, but this redemption to life was caused and impetrated only by what He experienced in His sufferings; not by anything we have actually experienced. Christ represented His church on the cross; the church was not actually there.

I agree that we haven't experienced His sufferings, but those who are His are exempt from the judgement. Christ in us/we in Christ. Is it possible that the body of Christ was there especially if the supernatural is atemporal? Or is it simply a matter of us becoming one with Him which alleviates the problem of sin and its penalty?

I think if you read all these Scriptures again, you will see they emphasize and teach the work and fruits of the Holy Spirit more than the Son (again, another vital distinction made amongst the Persons of the Trinity):

And I would say that the Holy Spirit and the Son are One within the Godhead and their fruits are cooperatively the same.

Actually, the teaching that Christ's atonement was infinite and therefore sufficient to save the world and all in the world, is also taught by Calvinists. There is no limitation on the powers of the blood of Christ to save. The "limitation" of Christ's atonement has to do with application of Godly election.

So Calvinism's claim is that Christ's atonement is self limiting.

God did not intend that Christ would offer His blood universally for all mankind. If this had been God's will, and the atonement of Christ was universal, then there would be no teaching of souls being judged for their sins and being cast into Hell. We would all be teaching Universalism, for all men would be Christians.

Well this is where the teaching that I heard solves the dilemna. Christ who died has fulfilled the law of death for sinners who constitute His body. And all have received sufficient grace to believe, but not so much grace as it is irresistable. In other words, a man's own natural consciousness is able to choose to accept or reject the grace of faith. Once accepted that same grace becomes effecacious.

Even Arminians teach that the atonement of Jesus Christ did not universally save all men. They also teach a "Limited Atonement." However, instead of acknowledging that the Father determined who the Son would die for, say that Christ did die for all, but the Holy Spirit fails to convince and convict the entire world of righteousness. Christ's atonement becomes limited due to the choices and decisions of sinners, rather than God. The "sufficiency" of the cross becomes insufficient because of the will-power of wicked men.

This is a Calvinistic confusion. The sufficiency of the cross was to fulfill the law(not eliminate the law) through paying the penalty of sin. The cross wasn't complete salvation in itself or we would be speaking of universalism once again. Salvation must therefore be a cooperative act.

So who is declaring the atonement of Christ was not sufficient to save all? Arminians, with their version of how the atonement is limited. They teach a limitation of Godly power to save. Calvinists teach an atonement that is limited only in application by grace. Christ's atonement was sufficient in power to save all, but God never willed to save all, and bestows His love, compassion, and grace on an elect people.

I would disagree. Within Calvinism there is no need for grace whatsoever. Grace from my perspective is to aid us in our lives. From Calvin's position it was the determining force for all our actions. Overwhelming power used upon us as a goad to drive us to do God's desires. Traditional Christianity has held that grace is an aid to us in achieving an end -- not a coercive force which we can't resist.

I suppose, but it makes Christ's atonement less than efficacious. Christ's blood was sufficient to save all, but it did not prove to be efficacious, due to the unbelief and choices of sinners. Christ ended up dying only for those who would choose to accept His blood sacrifice for sins. That is the Arminian view.

As well as the Catholic view. Hence, His desire is sufficient for ALL to be saved, though many won't be through their own choosing.

The Calvinist believes the blood of Christ was totally efficacious, for His sacrifice saved 100% all of those the Father elected to give to His Son to redeem. Jesus told the Father He would lose none of those the Father gave Him. (John 17:12, 10:28)

Absolutely true when you consider that God foreknew those who would be saved, just as Jesus prayed. 'Those who are mine will know my voice.' The blood of Christ is totally efficacious in this sense, but is not efficacious when you consider the working of grace and the destination of the reprobate. Jesus also said....

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.​

...which points that these souls, which were given, needed help and guidance for God to achieve the outcome. Calvinism would simply require grace to overcome the eleven to achieve God's ends.

. . .but what did the Holy Spirit do? Did He call all men universally, but fail to convince sinners of the good news of salvation? Or has He failed to get the gospel to every human being, giving them a chance to decide before they died, or have multitudes never heard the name of Jesus Christ? Can you see how the Holy Spirit failing in His commission to call men to faith in Christ disrupts the Holy Trinity? How could the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father and Son, fail to accomplish the will of the Father and the cross work of the Son?

Men simply refused to hear the call despite God's desire that they do otherwise.

No. . .this is not the teaching of the Holy Scriptures. The bible teaches that the Father elected a people to inherit glory with Christ before the creation; that the Son was sent into the world to represent and redeem these elect people, and that the Holy Spirit is commissioned to call each and every one of these elect people, regenerating them to new spiritual life, gifting them with faith to believe in the Father and the Son, and to repent from their sins. This sure salvation was established by Covenant between the Godhead, promised throughout history, performed in the world, and the elect church of God is the beneficiary of this wonderful contract.

This is all true when you consider God's divine foreknowledge. All of these scriptures are speaking to the actual outcomes, not the possible ones. I'm not sure I'm able to explain this to you in an understandable way.

You are saying that grace "inspires" faith, but the branches must cooperate with that grace to make it efficacious. That is synergism. And in order to believe synergism exists between God and sinners, one must believe that God gives the enabling grace to cooperate to all men. So we are still facing universalism, are we not?

No, we aren't. Because it is a fact that just be cause we are able to do something doesn't mean we will do it.

I contend that God's election of souls is particular in nature, and that the Son's atonement and redemptive work on the cross is also particular in nature. Thus, the commission and callings of the Holy Spirit is also for a particular people, and not mankind at large.

And I contend that the Son's atonement and redemptive work on the cross was for all mankind. That through God's foreknowledge, He knew who would avail themselves of the graces that were given; and they would become the elect. In essence those elect would be the only ones which Jesus Christ's atonement and redemptive work would ultimately apply to.

I also contend that these particular people are saved by grace alone, and not by any works, actions, or decisions made on their part. Thus, grace itself is also particular to the elect and not known by the world at large. This particular grace is freely given, unconditionally to only those elect by God. Faith that justifies the elect, is the spiritual fruit of the indwelling Holy Spirit who brings this uncommon grace to the sons of God. (Royal adoption!)

I would say that those are saved by grace through faith alone.

For the grace of God aways saves. The grace of God is always efficacious, just as the blood of our High Priest, Jesus Christ, is always efficacious. The grace of God and the blood of God cannot fail to save sinners.

They needn't both be efficacious, that would simply be double duty. If grace alone was efficacious then why would Jesus need to atone for anything? Grace could simply eliminate evil within the earth through pure force.

To say so makes the grace of God and the blood of Jesus Christ insufficient to save souls.

Nang

It simply illustrates that both are needed, in conjuction with man's free will, to save a soul.

This is interesting. Thanks for the dialogue.

Rob Mauldin

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Is it your claim then that animals who haven't sinned won't die because death is an 'evil'? Furthermore an evil which is a matter of divine government.

Due to Adam's original sin, all of creation is made subject to death:

"For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the
bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now." Romans 8:20-22

Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.

...and I find this significant. Without being within the body of Christ I won't escape damnation.

Agreed.

How does Christ's suffering take away sins or establish Him as a scapegoat according to Calvinism?

The Father sent the Son into the world to bear the sins of the elect of God. Through His priestly oblation of blood, they are cleansed of all guilt for their offenses, and made fit to receive the righteousness of Christ, imputed to their account before God.

I agree that we haven't experienced His sufferings, but those who are His are exempt from the judgement.

Agreed. This is because He was vicariously punished for our sins. He suffered the wrath of God on our behalf, so that we might stand forgiven and righteous in Him on the day of judgment.

Christ in us/we in Christ. Is it possible that the body of Christ was there especially if the supernatural is atemporal?

The elect church (spiritual body of Christ) was represented in Jesus Christ on the cross. Just as humanity was represented in Adam when he fell. The first Adam and the last Adam, Jesus Christ, both acted as federal heads of their offspring; the first offspring being natural men, and the children of Christ being spiritually reborn men.

Or is it simply a matter of us becoming one with Him which alleviates the problem of sin and its penalty?

The matter of becoming "one with Him," is totally dependent upon the unconditional election of the Father, the cross work of the Son, and regeneration by the power of the Holy Spirit.

And I would say that the Holy Spirit and the Son are One within the Godhead and their fruits are cooperatively the same.

They are of the same essence, but distinct in their persons.

So Calvinism's claim is that Christ's atonement is self limiting.

No, Christ atonement worked redemption for every single member of His spiritual church body. The only limitation of the atonement pertains to those God declares reprobate.

Well this is where the teaching that I heard solves the dilemna. Christ who died has fulfilled the law of death for sinners who constitute His body.

What is the "law of death" and how was it fulfilled?

And all have received sufficient grace to believe, but not so much grace as it is irresistable.

If grace is resistible, men would suffer death, even though Jesus Christ died their death. Does this make sense to you? What good would that kind of (unsaving) grace be? It would prove to be non-efficacious and lacking in power. Does this describe your God? My God is all-powerful and His arm not too short to save:

"Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee." Jeremiah 32:17

In other words, a man's own natural consciousness is able to choose to accept or reject the grace of faith. Once accepted that same grace becomes effecacious.

Then you hold to the Arminian belief that salvation is conditional and dependent upon a sinner's choice and decision? My, I thought we were much closer theologically than this!

This is a Calvinistic confusion. The sufficiency of the cross was to fulfill the law(not eliminate the law) through paying the penalty of sin.

Rob, I never said one thing about the law being eliminated. You must be imposing others' arguments against me.

The cross wasn't complete salvation in itself or we would be speaking of universalism once again.

The cross work of Jesus Christ accomplished the salvation of His people. It was not a universal work, or indeed we would witness only Christians living in this world. We would have heaven on earth!

Salvation must therefore be a cooperative act.

When Limited Atonement is denied, then the concept of universal atonement must be denied . . .if one does not want to be called a Universalist . . .and thus the Arminian, semi-Pelagian position is born.

Salvation is not a co-operative act; we are saved by the grace of God and not of ourselves at all. See Ephesians 2:8&9

To say that sinners must cooperate with God and His grace to get saved, is in direct denial of the Word of God.

Within Calvinism there is no need for grace whatsoever.

Rob, Calvinists are the ones who teach the "Doctrines of Grace" aka TULIP.

Grace from my perspective is to aid us in our lives.

God's grace saves souls, and the grace-filled intercession and Mediatorship of Jesus Christ gives us help in time of need. But one must be regenerated and saved by God before they have access to the heavenly throne of grace. (Hebrews 4:14-16)

From Calvin's position it was the determining force for all our actions. Overwhelming power used upon us as a goad to drive us to do God's desires. Traditional Christianity has held that grace is an aid to us in achieving an end -- not a coercive force which we can't resist.

Are you speaking from the Roman Catholic view, or EO?

Absolutely true when you consider that God foreknew those who would be saved, just as Jesus prayed. 'Those who are mine will know my voice.' The blood of Christ is totally efficacious in this sense, but is not efficacious when you consider the working of grace and the destination of the reprobate. Jesus also said....

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.​

...which points that these souls, which were given, needed help and guidance for God to achieve the outcome. Calvinism would simply require grace to overcome the eleven to achieve God's ends.

You are simply repeating your synergetic premise with different words.

Men simply refused to hear the call despite God's desire that they do otherwise.

I disagree. All that God calls, are justified and glorified. Without fail. (Romans 8:29&30)

This is all true when you consider God's divine foreknowledge. All of these scriptures are speaking to the actual outcomes, not the possible ones. I'm not sure I'm able to explain this to you in an understandable way.

You don't have to explain. You are telling me that God's foreknowledge is a matter of God looking down through the tunnel of time, seeing who would accept Jesus or not, and those who do make a decision for Christ, determines who will be saved. Again, more words making salvation conditional and dependent upon the human will of the sinner rather than upon the sovereign will of God.

The foreknowledge of God does not determine who will be the elect of God. God knows whom He elected in Christ; He knows His own children, even before they are born to do good or evil.

And I contend that the Son's atonement and redemptive work on the cross was for all mankind. That through God's foreknowledge, He knew who would avail themselves of the graces that were given; and they would become the elect. In essence those elect would be the only ones which Jesus Christ's atonement and redemptive work would ultimately apply to.

This statement directly contradicts your next . . .

I would say that those are saved by grace through faith alone.

. . .For you are giving sinners credit and merit for having the smarts to believe in the cross work of Jesus Christ, and the good sense to not pass up God's aid in this life. You believe those who avail themselves of the things of God are somehow then in a superior position in life, opposed to unbelievers, due to their good choices.

This is self-righteousness, not faith in the righteousness of Christ, alone.

If grace alone was efficacious then why would Jesus need to atone for anything? Grace could simply eliminate evil within the earth through pure force.

Legal justification and pardon must have a moral basis. Jesus Christ vicariously supplied that basis of Godly forgiveness for His children, through the sacrifice of His flesh and blood.

It simply illustrates that both are needed, in conjuction with man's free will, to save a soul.

I heartily disagree. Sinners are saved by the grace of God alone, through faith alone, in the righteousness of Christ alone, by hearing of the Word of God alone, to the glory of God, alone.

Nang

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think he is kinda Arminian/Molinist, but practically Calvinist, but not Open Theist.

Yah, what is your denomination? AMR needs to know if you are saved or not (i.e. Calvinist).
Huh?. Just trying to determine a denominational affiliation, nothing more or less.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Huh?. Just trying to determine a denominational affiliation, nothing more or less.

Just bugging you because you seem to equate an acceptance of Calvinism with an acceptance of Christ. Arminians are saved, as are Open Theists (if they receive Christ as Lord and Savior, regardless of their intellectual acceptance of TULIP or not).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
If he still believes what he says here, and in some of his other posts, then it seems he is Arminian/Molinist and rejects Calvinism and O.T.

Evo

I think he wants his cake and eat it too.

Open Theism is the best resolution of the perpetual free will vs sovereignty debate (free will is genuine, but finite; sovereignty is providential vs meticulous control; God foreknows/settles some vs all of the future= 2 motifs...proof texting foreknowledge passages is only part of the verses since other passages portray an open/unsettled aspect of much of the future).

Evoken

I think he wants his cake and eat it too.

Open Theism is the best resolution of the perpetual free will vs sovereignty debate (free will is genuine, but finite; sovereignty is providential vs meticulous control; God foreknows/settles some vs all of the future= 2 motifs...proof texting foreknowledge passages is only part of the verses since other passages portray an open/unsettled aspect of much of the future).

Actually it seems that you are the one who wants to have his cake and eat it too with the whole double-talk of "God foreknows/settles some vs all of the future" and "open/unsettled aspect of much of the future".

Evo

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Actually it seems that you are the one who wants to have his cake and eat it too with the whole double-talk of "God foreknows/settles some vs all of the future" and "open/unsettled aspect of much of the future".

Evo

There are proof texts for both motifs: some of the future is settled/closed, while other aspects are open/unsettled.

If God has chosen to not meticulously, deterministically control every moral and mundane detail of the universe (self-evident free will), then some of the future must be unsettled (even something as simple as what bingo balls come up all over the world). Yet, we know that some things were settled in advance, such as the coming of Christ once the Fall happened. We also know that Jesus will return again in the future. This is settled, but not actual yet.

Calvinists take the settled texts literally, but say the other motif (which is there) is figurative, without warrant.

I imagine you just have not seen the open vs closed texts in context to establish the principle.

As long as one recognizes the true nature of freedom and sovereignty, one will also see the two motifs (cf. Trinity; Deity of Christ...some proof text that the Father is not the Son and wrongly think this disproves the Trinity, but it does not...there is a difference between nature and personal distinction).

lee_merrill

Quite so, when God changes his mind (as they say) we hear the future is unknowable, when pressed to explain prophecy of future human choices, we hear God can determine even such choices. This would however be definite foreknowledge of the future.

Blessings,
Lee <- Who does however usually eat his cake, when he has it

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yorzhik said:
Basically, since God is transcendent and God doing bad things (from our perspective) is actually good (from God's perspective); we cannot trust any promises of God because God breaking promises is only bad from our perspective, but would be good from God's perspective.
:help: ?!
Ah, I should also add that this part of the post was speaking as a Settled Viewer. I'll fix it in my previous post.

Edmond_Dantes

There are proof texts for both motifs: some of the future is settled/closed, while other aspects are open/unsettled.

I’m starting to come to the conclusion that OVT is at worst wrong and at best irrelevant.

Though I extend the irrelevance to the entire debate between OVT and Calvinism, since I see them as functionally equivalent.

That is of the set of all people there exists two subsets one of those who are saved/believe and the set of those who are unsaved/unbelieving. If God decided that some would believe and be saved, or individuals believe of there own accord and are saved does nothing to change the final result. Some believe and are saved some do not and are not.

Unless of course you believe that holding to one of these views or the other is, in and of itself, a condition of salvation. (I don’t believe this, as I have encountered no mandate that believing either is required for salvation). This would however impact the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.