ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seekinganswers

Clete said:
You're a varitable fountain of logical fallacies. Mischaracterizing a position does nothing to refute it.

If all God does is interact passively with the Creation, a superior being to an inferior Creation, then God can very much be compared to, say, a man and his pet dog. A man has no inherent need of a pet dog, but if he gets a pet he interacts with that pet, giving a lot more than he receives. It is just like what you have described of God. My analogy is not misplaced. Your speech about God is no more nuanced than the deists (and it is the deist understanding of God that is at the foundation of our nation).

And you did not answer my question. How does your picture of God fit within Paul's description of God as the one in whom "we live and move and have our being" or the one "by whom, and through whom, and unto whom are all things"?

You are actually engaging Bob Hill on the transalation of the Greek! :rotfl:
I think you're going to find you're in over your head!
This should be fun to watch!

Yes, you better believe I am! I have taken nearly five years of the Greek and have begun my study of the Hebrew this year (at a Graduate level). I'm no baby when it comes to Greek. I'm not an expert, but "expert" is only a relative term in Greek studies, and deals more with one's time spent in the study (one's familialarity with the text and the grammatical theories) rather than in one's mastery of the language (seeing how the Greek of the New Testament is a dead language, not preserved in many places). We can't go to anyone and ask, "Is this what this meant?"

So you laugh all you want. You laugh as an ignorant fool who must rely on the expertise of another in order to put down a person's skills in Biblical Greek!

Peace,
Michael

godrulz

Hall of Fame
seekinganswers said:
Godrulz,

You didn't answer my question. What is the primary biblical understanding of knowledge? Is it primarily active in meaning or is it primarily passive? Does one know through observation, i.e. the scientific method (passively), or does one know through action, by ordering the world around them in a way that allows one to interact with the world in a certain way (actively)?

This becomes important for your discussion of what God "knows," for if knowledge is nothing more than a passive observation of the world around us, then you are quite correct, God doesn't "know" the future in this sense. But if knowledge cannot be primarily shaped through our understanding of the scientific method, if knowledge is something we bring about, than God can know the future, for knowledge is an active shapingof , not a passive interaction with the Creation. I am asking you whether God is active or passive in this world.

Peace,
Michael

I think the Hebraic (OT) approach to knowledge differs from the Greek approach (NT, in part, at least). God is active, not passive. I think you are creating a false dichotomy. God and others know knowledge through observation and experience. The issue is still the nature of the future (is it open, closed, or partially open/partially closed). God knows reality as it is. If some of the future is open, then God knows it as possible/probable until it becomes actual/certain.

The things that God knows about the future relate to His active involvement and ability, not simple foreknowledge.

There is also a difference between knowing about God and knowing HIm personally/intimately.

There is a difference between knowing the past/present exhaustively (certain object of possible knowledge) and knowing future free will contingencies exhaustively (logical absurdity/contradiction....either the creation of free moral agents voluntarily limited the nature of God's foreknowledge or the universe is deterministic with freedom and love being illusory).

seekinganswers

godrulz said:
I think the Hebraic (OT) approach to knowledge differs from the Greek approach (NT, in part, at least). God is active, not passive. I think you are creating a false dichotomy. God and others know knowledge through observation and experience. The issue is still the nature of the future (is it open, closed, or partially open/partially closed). God knows reality as it is. If some of the future is open, then God knows it as possible/probable until it becomes actual/certain.

I am not creating a false dichotomy. The understanding of knowledge as a passive observation of the world around us (as if knowing were a "neutral" activity that we engaged in through rationality, and through mental and sensory exercises) is entirely grounded in Modernity, specifically the thinking of the early-modernists like Galileo and Newton in the scientific realm, and most importantly Descartes in the Philosophical realm, who described rationality as the only true thing that we could hold onto (for everything else must be approached in doubt). Your definition of knowledge is not grounded in the scriptures, but is grounded in a secular humanism and rationality that finds its source in the early modern period (the early 17th century) as the world was moving away from ecclesial authority (both Catholic and Protestant) to a more secular authority in nation-states. And what is even more disturbing is that their grounding is in a shift from Aristotle (Aquinas' grounding) to Plato, from a concrete philosophy (which was not distinct from theology) to an endeavor in rationally framed philosophy (which has been removed from theology) moving for universal and disembodied "truths." This is the thought that ushers the world into the era of nations (that is political governance as defined by a national pride, a unified language, and borders). Descartes theories stand at the very foundation of the Declaration of Independence and even the structure of authority as found within our government. Plato and Descartes, the very philosophers that you claim to reject, are the ones at the forefront of what you have embraced.

The move towards the Modern understanding of freedom, choice, knowledge and authority are entirely embedded in a humanism that first looks to humanity in all its diversity (Reneissance / Early (pre) Modernity), then moves to a rationality intimately tied to individualism (Modernity). What we as members of the Protestant tradition have saved ourselves from in the Roman Catholic Church we have embraced in our love for the nation (specifically the nation as embodied in a secularized capitalistic democracy).

When we define knowledge through this rationalistic approach, we have rejected the scriptural understanding of knowledge, which does not for a moment pretend that knowledge is a passive endeavor. Knowledge is a power in the scriptures, for knowledge is an ordering of the Creation. When one knows something, one has the power to set what is "good" and what is "evil." The Tree of knowledge of good and evil is not a tree that gives us rationality, the tree of knowledge speaks of our active setting what is right. To know something is to actively set it into place, within the scriptures. When the man knows the woman, it is not a passive observation, but a very active possession of the woman.

In the New Testament, the active vs. passive view of knowledge comes in the dispute between orthodoxy and gnosticism. Gnosticism grounds knowledge in our endeavor to discover our internal light, a passive "rationality" of sorts. For Christianity knowledge must be embodied. The logos as a universal principle that governs the universe is unintelligible for the Christians. Logos is a person of the God-head, and more importantly, logos is made flesh to dwell among us, and to reveal God's glory to us in the flesh and blood of Jesus the Christ.

godrulz said:
The things that God knows about the future relate to His active involvement and ability, not simple foreknowledge.

This assumes that God just lets the future happen to him. God doesn't just sits back and watch the show. You see, in the scriptures, the future is brought about by God. God doesn't know the future through observation as if events were set into motion independently of God, and God doesn't rationaly approach the future through observation (through God's "sensory organs"), nor have events been determined for both God and the Creation) but God, in fact, brings about the future (brings about the events) actively in the Creation. Foreknowledge isn't a fortune-telling ability of God (as if God could passively observe all events that are to take place). Foreknowledge is God's election, that is, God's ability to choose. God elects Israel (and gosh darn it, Israel is going to be God's people whether they like it or not, and whether they are faithful or not; "God corrects his own"). And God most certainly could have elected another people (in fact Israel's own Rabbis have contemplated this). God elects the church, and the church is going to be that continuation of Israel whether we like it or not. God will bring about God's purposes through this people.

This isn't a determination of who will be saved, but it is a determination in how that salvation will be brought about in this world. Does this oclude our response? No. But to think the future of the Creation is in the hands of humanity is just plain wrong. We are not driving the events on this planet. Even when we think we are (through empire) God still brings about God's own plans through us (in our disobedience). Whether we are obedient or not will not determine what God does in this world. God is bringing the Creation from chaos to worship (that is sharing in God's rest), and it will be accomplished by God and through us or despite of us (i.e. whether we are obedient or not).

God became a man, so that by a man the Creation would be saved (for that man, who was also God, was the image of the Creator, and accomplished what God had commanded of humanity in the first place, in the garden [who were created in his image, in Christ]; Christ was God, yet he did not grab hold of it, but emptied himself and became obedient, even to death). Christ rejected the fruit of the tree of knowledge, and took the fruit of the tree of life. And now that God's will for humanity has been accomplished through Christ (and I might add that time really isn't all that significant to the Father, for ages are like a single day to him, and so this allows God to be very patient) he can bring all of the Creation into his rest. We are slaves by our own choosing and don't even deserve such a status before God, for we were the tenants of the vineyard who kept everything for ourselves. God gave us mastery over this vineyard, and only asked for what was due him as the owner. But we in our self-deception decided that somehow we had a right to ownership. And when the son came (the true inheritor of the vineyard) we killed him thinking the vineyard would be ours. Instead, we only sealed our doom if we would not repent of our sin.

But God, in God's great mercy and grace, takes the people who don't even have a right to be a slave in God's household, and through his Son, adopts them as his own. We who were not natural children have been taken in as if we were, that is if we repent and receive the grace of God, who by that grace will transform a repentant sinner into a son of righteousness (one who practices true righteousness and justice in this world and in the world to come).

Peace,
Michael

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:noway:

I feel there is a great debate going on here between SA and Clete. I might have to print this sucker out and read in my spare time. Keep it up guys! :up:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
seek: God does not just let the future happen to Him. He is not a Deist god. I said He brings things to pass by His ability. How do you conclude from this concept that He just lets things happen to Him (do not misrepresent other's views)?

In addition, just because God brings some of the future to pass by His ability does not mean that He brings everything to pass. He macro vs micromanages and sovereignly created significant others with a say. All the bingo balls randomly popping in the world leading to thousands of bingo players winning or not is not determined by God (if you think it is, I give up on communicating with you)?

hermes

Michael--Have you never read what Christ said about calling someone else a fool? You boast of your superior grasp of Greek, yet you have not taken enough of God's Word into your heart to know better than to call others "fools"?? Your manner is very rude and inconsiderate. Consider this: study it in the original language all you like: "Let your speech be always seasoned with grace."

seekinganswers

hermes said:
Michael--Have you never read what Christ said about calling someone else a fool? You boast of your superior grasp of Greek, yet you have not taken enough of God's Word into your heart to know better than to call others "fools"?? Your manner is very rude and inconsiderate. Consider this: study it in the original language all you like: "Let your speech be always seasoned with grace."

More is a Greek translation of the Jewish insult, raca, which means much more than "fool." Raca is derived from the root to spit, and is an insult that devalues the person to a degree that they are not worthy of you (that you are above them in some way). My term, "Fool" is not meant to devalue anyone. It speaks to the ignorance of one who does not know what they are saying (or is ignorant of the influences behind their ideology). I have been a fool many times, and even on this site. Jesus will call the Pharisees, "moroi kai tuphloi (blind and fools)," later on in Matthew, but he clearly does not use this term as an insult, but rather as a calling of the Pharisees to obedience (to listen to his words, and to allow God to soften their hardened hearts). There are worse things to call a person in English than "fool." And the fact that I actually am writing to someone and responding to their post means that I do not consider them to be "empty-heads" or "worthless" (a likely translation of raca).

Grace filled language can also come in an antagonistic fashion, i.e. "You Brood of Vipers, who warned you to flee from the coming wrath!!" Not exactly polite language, but very-much grace filled.

Now I will admitt that I have become a bit over zealous in my posts, at times, and that probably does not allow what am I saying to be heard as well as it could be heard. When I do start to go overboard with my responses, I try to wait, and then I can respond with clarity, while still maintaining a firmness.

But I also want to stress the blessing that I leave all my posts with. I am serious when I say peace. I may argue with people on this site, but I always end by offering peace, not a peace that demands that the person believe what I am saying or that I remain docile towards them in my words, but the peace that Christ has called us to live by, the peace that Christ himself has taught us. My words will not be used to coerse a person; I won't offend anyone by my words (meaning I won't simply say words to cause someone to be enraged). And if I do say words that are taken as a direct insult on a person, than I will do my best to retract my words and bring the shame on myself for my carelessness in choosing those words. This does not mean I won't say words that will anger people (because it seems that I say things to anger people all the time). But they also know that I am not saying them out of spite, but they will either be angry because they think I am full of crap (and they are sick of rantings and hearing anything but what they see as the truth) or they will be angry because I speak the truth and they don't know how to counter it. But that kind of anger is not under my control.

The peace of Christ is not about this "walking-on-egg-shells" kind of "political correctness" that only calls for kindness because the people who support the ones in office don't tend to continue to support leaders who offend them. Jesus and the early church ended up offending people (they weren't running for office), not because they actively sought out fights with others, but because the life they were called to in God was counter to the world around them. They were aliens in a land that was not their own; people on the margins of society tend to draw more ridicule than praise.

Peace,
Michael

themuzicman

RobE said:
Your definition of WILL: Will is simply the faculity in human beings that chooses. It was created by God to make man a morally free agent, able to act free from governing law, external determism, and internal predeterminism.

Rob: Your choices are influenced by your desires(will). You do as you want and not otherwise. Are your desires 'free' or are they effects of other causes?​

Michael: OK, you're playing word games, here. "Desires" refers to the competing influences within the person that compete for the attention of the will. The "desire" to lose weight will not want that 2nd bowl of Ice Cream, but the "desire" to satisfy the sweet tooth will DEFINATELY want that 2nd bowl. The desire not to be MORE miserable beacuse of a full stomach would be a "desire" NOT to have the 2nd bowl. You can call these "influences" if you want, but I would prefer that you NOT play words games.

Rob: The specific answers I need for now:
1) How do my desires remain uncaused by internal/external stimuli?​

Michael: Which meaning of "desires" are you referring to?

if you mean the competing internal influences that both want and don't want that 2nd bowl of ice cream, these are caused by previous choices of the will, by the chemical makeup of the human body and other sources.

if you mean "desire" = "will", then the answer is that the will chooses what is the top priority at this moment, and that becomes the highest desire that we choose.

As far as I can decipher from our discussion your will is the desire in you that wins out at any given moment. The strongest desire in you becomes your will or at least what your will responds to. Now your will responding to a certain desire makes your will the effect of that desire.

No, that's the Calvinist compatiblist position and also the Aristotlian position, both of which are really determinist, although the Calvinist compatiblist will try to wiggle out of that.

If we're going to use your terminiology, then I'd say that the will decides what desire is strongest (although I prefer to say that the will decides what's most important right now, since "desire" has some connotations that don't fit the context), rather than the will FOLLOWING the desire which is strongest.

If your will 'decides' between multiple desires isn't it true that your will enslaves itself to the desire that it chooses; and therefore, your will becomes the effect of that desire.

No, because the will chooses the desire, the desire does not determine the will.

If your will is simply your desire then you've already acknowledged that your desire has a cause.

Again, I'm NOT in agreement with Aristotle on this one.

Where in all this does your will escape unscathed?

It's never enslaved, so it needs no escape. It's under a constant barrage, but is enslaved to no determining force.

Michael

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Mustard Seed said:
"Negligably Interupted Near Circularly Ordered Mental Processes Of Own Production"

Hi Musturd Seed,

Since English obviously isn't your first language, it would behoove you to use a dictionary, especially when you insult someone. Otherwise, you embarrass yourself. To quote Mike Wazowksi: "If you're going to insult me, do it properly."

No purchase necessary,
Jim

hermes

seekinganswers said:
More is a Greek translation of the Jewish insult, raca, which means much more than "fool." Raca is derived from the root to spit, and is an insult that devalues the person to a degree that they are not worthy of you (that you are above them in some way). My term, "Fool" is not meant to devalue anyone. It speaks to the ignorance of one who does not know what they are saying (or is ignorant of the influences behind their ideology). I have been a fool many times, and even on this site. Jesus will call the Pharisees, "moroi kai tuphloi (blind and fools)," later on in Matthew, but he clearly does not use this term as an insult, but rather as a calling of the Pharisees to obedience (to listen to his words, and to allow God to soften their hardened hearts). There are worse things to call a person in English than "fool." And the fact that I actually am writing to someone and responding to their post means that I do not consider them to be "empty-heads" or "worthless" (a likely translation of raca).

Grace filled language can also come in an antagonistic fashion, i.e. "You Brood of Vipers, who warned you to flee from the coming wrath!!" Not exactly polite language, but very-much grace filled.

Now I will admitt that I have become a bit over zealous in my posts, at times, and that probably does not allow what am I saying to be heard as well as it could be heard. When I do start to go overboard with my responses, I try to wait, and then I can respond with clarity, while still maintaining a firmness.

But I also want to stress the blessing that I leave all my posts with. I am serious when I say peace. I may argue with people on this site, but I always end by offering peace, not a peace that demands that the person believe what I am saying or that I remain docile towards them in my words, but the peace that Christ has called us to live by, the peace that Christ himself has taught us. My words will not be used to coerse a person; I won't offend anyone by my words (meaning I won't simply say words to cause someone to be enraged). And if I do say words that are taken as a direct insult on a person, than I will do my best to retract my words and bring the shame on myself for my carelessness in choosing those words. This does not mean I won't say words that will anger people (because it seems that I say things to anger people all the time). But they also know that I am not saying them out of spite, but they will either be angry because they think I am full of crap (and they are sick of rantings and hearing anything but what they see as the truth) or they will be angry because I speak the truth and they don't know how to counter it. But that kind of anger is not under my control.

The peace of Christ is not about this "walking-on-egg-shells" kind of "political correctness" that only calls for kindness because the people who support the ones in office don't tend to continue to support leaders who offend them. Jesus and the early church ended up offending people (they weren't running for office), not because they actively sought out fights with others, but because the life they were called to in God was counter to the world around them. They were aliens in a land that was not their own; people on the margins of society tend to draw more ridicule than praise.

Peace,
Michael
I think it is good to walk on eggshells. sounds good, and they fit into the trash more compactly. But mercy is a good trait that fits well with truth. The primary source of truth is not the original languages, but the context and syntax of them. For instance, what does your greek teach you about 2 Pet.3:9 and 1 Tim.2:4??

Mustard Seed

Hilston said:
Hi Musturd Seed,

Since English obviously isn't your first language, it would behoove you to use a dictionary, especially when you insult someone. Otherwise, you embarrass yourself. To quote Mike Wazowksi: "If you're going to insult me, do it properly."

No purchase necessary,
Jim

The grammatically legalistic garbage of criticizing for the omission of a repeated consonant, and the unintentional replacement of a vowel by another vowel that would lend a similar phonetic pronuciation, errors that in no way actually change, or make more difficult to decipher, the original intent of the statement, is just what one would expect from the likes of yourself.

Like the Pharisaical doctors of Christ's day you strain at the gnats while swallowing the camels of the egregiously twisted and wrong-headed view of what is, and isn’t, ration and logic, and how such is related to God.

You seem oblivious to the fact that English, and it’s corresponding views of what are, and what are not, proper, were derived from a process rather akin to the same process that is the reason for the crooked and distorted layouts of many a European city.

Remember that with what mete you judge such will be turned against yourself at the last day.

I’d far rather be on the correct side of the overall view of what is and isn’t truth than I would necessarily desire particularly to be certain of being on key with the proper spellings of words in a bastard, and, generally, irrationally formed smorgasbord of a language.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
seekinganswers said:
Did you even hear your circular reasoning? First you claimed that "God is rational." Then you justified your claim by stating, "This is the only rationally coherent manner in which to account for the existence of logic and thus must be true because of the impossibility of the contrary." The last time I checked if you try to prove something on the basis of what you are trying to prove, you have proved nothing. You in essence have said "God is rational because God is rational, therefore we cannot say that God is "irrational".
It's not circular. I thought at one time that you were a Presuppositionalist which you denied. This comment confirms it for me that you are not only not a Presuppositionalist, you don't seem to understand what a presupposition is.

I understand why you think it is circular but I assure you it is not. My comments are based on the transcendental argument for the existence of God. The argument in its most basic form is that God must exist because there is no rational way to account for the existence of reason if He does not exist. The example that most clearly demonstrates the truth of this has to do with the confirmation of truth claims. If someone was to say that all truth claims must be verified through logic and reason (which atheists and deists commonly claim) then how would that person verify the truth claim that says that all truth claims must be verified through logic and reason? If they attempt to verify that truth claim with logic and reason then they beg the question, which is a violation of logic and reason. If, on the other hand, they say that this truth claim doesn't require verification then they violate the claim itself and thereby falsify it. Any worldview that does not presuppose the existence of God always ends up question begging in one way or the other thus God must exist because of the rational impossibility of the contrary.

And notice that we do not use logic to prove the existence of God and thus cannot be committing a fallacy of logic like circular reasoning. We presuppose the existence of God in order to make logic itself work in the first place. The presupposition that God exists is the foundation of logic, not an aspect of it, and more specifically, the existence of a personal, intelligent, rational, Triune God is the foundation of logic.

Rationality and logic are creations of men, despite what you have been taught in your schooling that they are character-trait of God.
Impossible. This begs the question. In order to create logic, people would have had to use logic to do so thus the creation is implied before it is created.

It's inescapable Michael. Any attempt you make to account for the existence of logic outside of presupposing the existence of a rational God will beg the question every time.

The reason I say this is that logic and rationality are nothing more than frameworks of observation and sets of norms by which the human is "best" able to interact with the world around him or her.
The gender neutral person pronoun "him" is sufficient while using the English language. That's off topic, I know, but I can't stand the politically correct nonsense that has crept in to virtually every nook and cranny of our society and so had to comment on it.

Leaving that aside, this comment also begs the question. "Frameworks of observation" could not exist without logic to form them. Nor could the idea of what is "best" exist unless logic existed with which to define it. So you are suggesting that men used logic to form logic. That’s called begging the question.

But this is nothing more than the mind's attempt to abstract the world around it, and to draw from those abstractions (those simplifications) meaningful data. So, when we see a line at the horizon, our brain is taking the data that is being received (through our eyes) and is interpreting that data according to a set of norms and principles already imbedded in the brain (imbedded not from birth but from early formation in childhood). So the line we see in actuality is nothing more than a line drawn by our brain to help make sense of the distinction between the sky and the land (or the sea). Not all people would see the line that we see. I'll illustrate for you another example. The Mbuti tribe is a pygmy tribe in the Congo region of Africa. They live in the jungle and do not ever leave the jungle, except to trade with other peoples in small clearings of the jungle made for farming. Now western anthropologists have gone to this people and have "observed" them and their way of life. I read an anthology of a particular anthropologist who took one of the members of the tribe on a trip out of the jungle and onto the open plains of Africa (and to the ocean). This caused great fear in the young man from the tribe, not because he was easily frightened, but because the logic and rationality that were formed in him from his childhood onward was entirely grounded on his life in the jungle. He had no sets of norms by which to make sense of the open plains. He had never dealt with distances greater than 50 yards ahead of him. So when he saw animals on the open plain, his first question to the anthropologist was, "Why are the animals so small?" And when the animals grew to be the size of the animals he knew he was even more amazed at such a feat. Was his logic wrong? No, it wasn't at all. It suited him very well for the life he lived in the jungle. But the logic he shared with his tribe (or that his tribe shared with him) was hardly universal.
I didn't read all of this, it made my eyes glaze over (sorry). The part I did read had to do with your brain making sense of the horizon. What you over look is that we do not have to learn how to make our brains operate. If you claim that we do, then I would ask you to explain by what method you calibrated your eye-brain connection so as to be sure that the data you are receiving via your eyes is being translated properly to your brain and then in turn interpreted correctely by your brain in order for you to be able use that information.

Are you seriously going to claim, Clete, that you have obtained a universal logic? Logic is not a universal abstract thing (and if you believe that logic is universal and all-pervading you are grounding yourself in a very Greek understanding of the world).
What do you mean obtained a universal logic? God is logic just as God is righteousness and love. Logic is defined by God Himself just as righteousness is.

And just because I think it is important to point such things out, your comment concerning the Greeks is known as an Ad-Hominem argument. It is yet another fallacy of logic you've employed. Something is not false because it is Greek but because it not of Scripture or of sound reason (or both). The Greeks came up with bubble gum too. Do you think that Double Bubble is therefore evil?

Christians do not believe that there is an all-pervasive, impersonal and abstract logic that governs the cosmos (as a character-trait of God). This was the Greek concept of "logos".
God is logic. God is also personal, thus logic is personal. Satisfied?

Christians took this universal of the Greeks and made it very concrete, "And the Logos (which was a person, not a character-trait) became flesh (and blood) and made his dwelling among us." Ironically, this word logos is the root from which we derive the English logic. So, logos as an impersonal and and abstract concept is meaningless for Christians. True logos is embodied, it is incarnate, and logos is not a quality of God but is a person within the Godhead.
That person being Jesus, actually. God is a Trinity not a Foursome.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word (logos), and the Word (logos) was with God, and the Word (logos) was God.

John 1:14 And the Word (logos) became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.​

This is not a logical fallacy. You did the same thing with me in a previous post when I had said "I am not a philosopher"
Yes it is a fallacy and no I didn't do the same thing to you.

The form of my argument was not one in which I claimed you were something you weren't and then declared on that basis that you were wrong. I rightly claimed that you are a philosopher based on your own use of philosophical ideas in order to make your case, which you then later affirmed. My point had to do with making what I thought was a very clear point using a stereotype to make the point that only a philosopher could make the question"Is God righteous?" a difficult one to answer. But I made the argument by using your own words, not by implying that you must be wrong because you are a philosopher. The comment was aimed at making fun of philosophers not attempting to refute your position. That had already been done.

You hypocrite. If you are going to make sure that I see the influence that has developed my thinking than you had better not accuse me of fallacy when I do the same for you.
That isn't what I did. You missed the point. I didn't even mention philosophers until the point had already been established.

And this is deism. God as the designer is the god of deism. This is to say that god creates an autonomous (sovereign) reality other than himself that can be sustained by the processes that god has set into motion. The god of deism is caught up into the reality of cause and effect, where god becomes the first cause for the creation. God sets things into motion, but the creation with regards to most cases is self sustaining. The god of deism is not absent from the creation, but the god of deism does not sustain the creation. The only way that god acts in the creation for deists is precisely the way in which you have described it, as an "intervention". And as I said before, if this is your god, then the statements of Paul are rendered utterly meaningless: "In God we live and move and have being...for God is not far from each one of us." And again, "By God and through God and to God are all things." If God in the Creation has created nothing more than an autonomous reality, than it could not be said that this Creation, "lives and moves and has its being in God," nor could it be said that it is "by God and through God and to God."
It is not deism!

Deism Defined

No deist in the world would agree with me on nearly anything. And the things they would agree with doesn't prove me wrong any more than it proves them right! This seems to be your favorite fallacy of logic. Something is not wrong because it is believed by a deist. Deists believe that God exists. Do you therefore conclude that God does not exist by virtue of the fact that deists believe He does? Of course not!

The fact that you would compare the reasoning for God's Creation with the Ford Company's reasoning for making cars shows just how corrupt you are (because Ford makes cars for profit, not to allow people to drive places). One could not say that "in Ford the cars live and move and have their being" nor could it be said that "by Ford and through Ford and to Ford are all cars." Clearly Ford's making of cars is no where near analogous to God's Creating the universe as related to us in the scriptures. Ford Company, however, bears a striking resemblance to the god of the deists (though Ford is much more "real" than their god).
More logical fallacies!
First of all you make a false dichotomy. The making of cars for profit does not remove the possibility that they made the cars for people to drive them.

And secondly you intentionally stretch the analogy to its breaking point. It was simply an analogy, Michael. Analogies are not perfect parallel truths. And when you intentionally stretch one to the breaking point you commit a fallacy of logic known simply as a weak (or false) analogy. In short you ability to turn a perfectly good analogy into a bad one does nothing to refute my position nor does it render the original analogy false.

As I said before, logic is a construction of humanity by which we order our observations in order to better maneuver ourselves in this world. Logic is very concrete, and is tied to the body of the person that uses it. And logic is not the same from person to person, but logical constructs are established depending on our context.
You are wrong. Completely wrong. Logic is the same from person to person. The only thing that changes is their skill at using it. Logic has three irrefragable laws.

Three Laws of Logic

The three laws of thought are universal, irrefutable, and true for reasons already stated. Without these laws, it is impossible to imagine how anything written or spoken could be intelligible. More to the point, the laws are the basis of necessary inference, for without them, necessary inference vanishes! To repeat, the laws of logic are universal, irrefutable, and true. By "universal," we mean allows for no exception. "Irrefutable" means that any attempt to refute them, makes use of them; thus, establishing them as necessary for argument. "True" means not only "not-false," but not-false because they are grounded in the Logos of God, the source and determiner of all truth. Moreover, the laws stand together as a trinity; to fault one, is to fault all, and to uphold one, upholds the others. Together, these laws establish and clarify the meaning of necessary inference for logic and all intelligible discourse.

Here is a brief statement of each.

1. The law of identity states that if any statement is true, then it is true; or, every proposition implies itself: A implies A.

2. The law of excluded middle states that everything must either be or not be; or, everything is A or not-A.

3. The law of contradiction states that no statement can be both true and false; or, A and not-A is a contradiction and always false: thus, not both A and not-A.​

Without the first, identity or sameness is lost; without the second, confusion begins; and without the last, irrationalism is in full residence.

To recapitulate. Logic is the science of necessary inference. The basic elements are propositions in arguments. A proposition is the meaning of a declarative sentence. An argument is composed of propositions some of which are premises, one of which is the conclusion. The premises are reasons given to support the conclusion of an argument or a position. Arguments are classified as either inductive or deductive. With Deductive Argument, we ask: "Does this conclusion follow as a necessary consequence from these premises?" If the answer is affirmative, the Deductive Argument is valid; otherwise, the argument is invalid. Deductive Arguments are either valid or invalid. Also, if the argument is not invalid, then it is valid. If the argument is not valid, then it is invalid.

Three reasons for the study of logic are (1) correct thinking requires it; (2) discerning minds necessarily depend on it; and (3) man is a rational being in the image of his Creator. Logic is universal, necessary, and irreplaceable. Man's mind was formed on the principles of identity, excluded middle, and contradiction. These three laws are the basis for all intelligible thought. Without them, all rational discourse vanishes.​
source

In the words of Paul of Tarsus, "Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength."

According to Paul God did just what you deny of him, that he took the logically absurd and made it the foundation for the life of his people.
God did not such thing. Paul was not referring here to that which was genuinely absurd but that which evil men in their secular humanistic pseudo logic found to be foolish or absurd. Logic is as absolute as God is and Paul absolutely affirmed logic and reason. In fact, I think someone around here somewhere has a quote from him stating exactly that in their signature line!
:think: I can't seem to remember who it is that uses that signature banner. :think:

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. I'm enjoying our exchange very much. Finding people who are at all willing to engage these issues from a philosophical (i.e. rational) perspective doesn't happen every day. :thumb:

Mustard Seed

Three Laws of Logic

The three laws of thought are universal, irrefutable, and true for reasons already stated. Without these laws, it is impossible to imagine how anything written or spoken could be intelligible. More to the point, the laws are the basis of necessary inference, for without them, necessary inference vanishes! To repeat, the laws of logic are universal, irrefutable, and true. By "universal," we mean allows for no exception. "Irrefutable" means that any attempt to refute them, makes use of them; thus, establishing them as necessary for argument. "True" means not only "not-false," but not-false because they are grounded in the Logos of God, the source and determiner of all truth. Moreover, the laws stand together as a trinity; to fault one, is to fault all, and to uphold one, upholds the others. Together, these laws establish and clarify the meaning of necessary inference for logic and all intelligible discourse.

Here is a brief statement of each.

1. The law of identity states that if any statement is true, then it is true; or, every proposition implies itself: A implies A.

2. The law of excluded middle states that everything must either be or not be; or, everything is A or not-A.

3. The law of contradiction states that no statement can be both true and false; or, A and not-A is a contradiction and always false: thus, not both A and not-A.
Without the first, identity or sameness is lost; without the second, confusion begins; and without the last, irrationalism is in full residence.

To recapitulate. Logic is the science of necessary inference. The basic elements are propositions in arguments. A proposition is the meaning of a declarative sentence. An argument is composed of propositions some of which are premises, one of which is the conclusion. The premises are reasons given to support the conclusion of an argument or a position. Arguments are classified as either inductive or deductive. With Deductive Argument, we ask: "Does this conclusion follow as a necessary consequence from these premises?" If the answer is affirmative, the Deductive Argument is valid; otherwise, the argument is invalid. Deductive Arguments are either valid or invalid. Also, if the argument is not invalid, then it is valid. If the argument is not valid, then it is invalid.

Three reasons for the study of logic are (1) correct thinking requires it; (2) discerning minds necessarily depend on it; and (3) man is a rational being in the image of his Creator. Logic is universal, necessary, and irreplaceable. Man's mind was formed on the principles of identity, excluded middle, and contradiction. These three laws are the basis for all intelligible thought. Without them, all rational discourse vanishes.

Clete's reference to the three bases of logic does nothing to address the problem of context sufficiently to expose the problems of his views. So often Clete and Hilston and the like will get so caught up in the "Does this conclusion follow as a necessary consequence from these premises?" that they fail to actually see that the premises used to reach the conclusion are, themselves, incomplete or incorrect in the context of reality and the totality of all things. All the premises they offer may very well result in the conclusions they proffer. But that is irrelevant as their premises have as many problems as their conclusions do when applied to the real world, to reality.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Mustard Seed said:
Clete's reference to the three bases of logic does nothing to address the problem of context sufficiently to expose the problems of his views. So often Clete and Hilston and the like will get so caught up in the "Does this conclusion follow as a necessary consequence from these premises?" that they fail to actually see that the premises used to reach the conclusion are, themselves, incomplete or incorrect in the context of reality and the totality of all things. All the premises they offer may very well result in the conclusions they proffer. But that is irrelevant as their premises have as many problems as their conclusions do when applied to the real world, to reality.
For example?

Mustard Seed

Clete said:
For example?

Clete said:
God did not such thing. Paul was not referring here to that which was genuinely absurd but that which evil men in their secular humanistic pseudo logic found to be foolish or absurd. Logic is as absolute as God is and Paul absolutely affirmed logic and reason. In fact, I think someone around here somewhere has a quote from him stating exactly that in their signature line!
:think: I can't seem to remember who it is that uses that signature banner. :think:
Above you make the assumption that it was a "secular humanistic psuedo logic" that was found to be "foolish or absurd". You are assuming that Paul had a problem with their logic. It was not the logic or methods employed, rather it was the fact that they derived wisdom solely from their capacity to utilize the logic and reason God had given them.

It was their incapacity to apply the perfections and fullness of logic and reason, or to grasp them in respect to the items at hand, at an omniscient level, that made their deriving of anything, of which they would dare call wisdom, foolish. It wasn't the specific tools of logic and reason, rather their attempt to imply that such limited means and application of such had brought them to sufficiently sound premises they would dogmatically consider to be wise.

One can have the perfect tools for the job. One can have all the material resources needed. But if that person cannot assemble, or make sense of, either the materials or the directives to assemble then the task will not be finished. The seed can be perfect in all ways, yet if we fail to give it what nature demands then it will wither and die. Not any problem with the seed, simply a problem of proper application.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Mustard Seed said:
Above you make the assumption that it was a "secular humanistic pseudo logic" that was found to be "foolish or absurd". You are assuming that Paul had a problem with their logic. It was not the logic or methods employed, rather it was the fact that they derived wisdom solely from their capacity to utilize the logic and reason God had given them.
Which would be an example of their begging the question (i.e. committing a logical fallacy).

It was their incapacity to apply the perfections and fullness of logic and reason, or to grasp them in respect to the items at hand, at an omniscient level, that made their deriving of anything, of which they would dare call wisdom, foolish. It wasn't the specific tools of logic and reason, rather their attempt to imply that such limited means and application of such had brought them to sufficiently sound premises they would dogmatically consider to be wise.
Exactly! Any man who does not hold a belief in God cannot justify their use of reason without begging the question. Their worldview is incoherent and therefore false. As I said, Paul was not saying that God turns good logic into foolishness but rather that which foolish people (i.e. people who think there is no God or worship idols) think is good logic.

One can have the perfect tools for the job. One can have all the material resources needed. But if that person cannot assemble, or make sense of, either the materials or the directives to assemble then the task will not be finished. The seed can be perfect in all ways, yet if we fail to give it what nature demands then it will wither and die. Not any problem with the seed, simply a problem of proper application.
Precisely! You are saying the same thing I am! People who reject God use logic all the time and even do so well enough to render some useful and even true conclusions but that doesn't change the fact that they are holding to a genuinely foolish worldview. God cannot take that which is true and make it false, nor can He take the self-contradictory and make it coherent. God is truth MS, not contradiction! If God can turn a genuine contradiction into the truth then our faith is as flimsy and as worthless as wet toilet paper because anything you claim to be untrue today, God could declare the truth tomorrow.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Mustard Seed

Clete said:
Which would be an example of their begging the question (i.e. committing a logical fallacy).

They may not have even done that, and certainly to no more of a degree than what you do.

Look at your laws of logic as you quoted them. The anti-theist applies them perfectly with respect to all the premises presented matching the conclusion. The problem is that the they, as you, are forced to make assumptions with regard to the foundation of their premises. In their case the core of the assumptions is defended on a context limited view of reality, they take your three laws and forget the fact that they are only applicable in the context of all aspects of an issue.

You do similarly, only your assumptions rotate around the premise that your capacity to utilize some aspects of reason and logic means that your view of what is said in the scriptures, and what you think of God, and what you think of logic, are correct.

Exactly! Any man who does not hold a belief in God cannot justify their use of reason without begging the question.

You exclaim "Exactly!" but you don't seem to even understand what was said. They can use reason and logic correctly, they just cannot use it exhaustively, but then neither can you. Even if they are not initially given the premise of God, if they take true logic to it's conclusion, that is apply it to all knowledge as they approach omniscience, they will at some point know God. On the other hand, with your hold on what you term to be "reason" and "logic" were to attempt to begin to approach anything in the direction of omniscience (truth) you would quickly find yourself of the necessity of discarding wholesale certain perspectives on logic, and hence, God.

Their worldview is incoherent and therefore false.

It is incomplete. But again, so is yours. It is only incoherent when it is linked together by items that are incorrect. One can see a portion of the puzzle correctly assembled and begin to get an idea as to the big picture, but those who are either mistaking improperly laid pieces OR pieces of some other object, or other objects, and assuming they are pieces of the puzzle, then you have the problem of incoherency enter in. Incompleteness does not mean incoherence unless the incompleteness is not recognized. The false wisdom mentioned was simply because the world was making, at the very least, de facto statements as to what was and wasn't divine and where their actions stood with relation to such.

As I said, Paul was not saying that God turns good logic into foolishness but rather that which foolish people (i.e. people who think there is no God or worship idols) think is good logic.

I was not saying or implying that is what you said. I was pointing out that you thought that it was the ration and logic of the world that was the problem. It wasn't. It was the "wisdom" of the "world". It was their thinking that they'd gained, or had the capacity sufficient, to use logic and ration to achieve sufficient knowledge to be sufficiently wise in contrast to that which God makes available through revelation.

Precisely! You are saying the same thing I am! People who reject God use logic all the time and even do so well enough to render some useful and even true conclusions but that doesn't change the fact that they are holding to a genuinely foolish worldview.

I agree with the above. But I again assert, and I'm not sure if you just are not seeing the distinction between logic/reason vs. wisdom or not, that their faulty wisdom does not mean they do not have a completely valid view of logic in every sense in which man is able to attain it. They may well have more than you or I. They are even, as the Lord said, wiser than the "children of light".

8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

But simply because one is wiser doesn't mean that they will win the battle of wits.

11 ¶ I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Aside from time and chance is the revelation of God. That is where your signature comes from. Paul was speaking---

"I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness."

<clearly we have slightly different nuances in translation>

Regardless the differences, it is Paul's connection to revelation, to the Spirit of God, NOT his superior grasp of reason or logic, that gives him superiority in the exchange. It is his trust in God's revelation RATHER than any trust in his grasp on logic or his cognitive capacity.

God cannot take that which is true and make it false, nor can He take the self-contradictory and make it coherent. God is truth MS, not contradiction! If God can turn a genuine contradiction into the truth then our faith is as flimsy and as worthless as wet toilet paper because anything you claim to be untrue today, God could declare the truth tomorrow.

Just remember the non-static nature of truth with regard to context. That which is right in one context can be wrong in another. The constants that have been found to govern the universe do, in fact, change at high-energy states. So the whole laws of logic must be applied along all axes, dimensions, realms, continuoums, etc. or whatever.

With regard to making the incoherent coherent one must be certain that something is actualy eternaly incoherent and not simply just unavailable to man at present. Remember--

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

seekinganswers

Clete said:
It's not circular. I thought at one time that you were a Presuppositionalist which you denied. This comment confirms it for me that you are not only not a Presuppositionalist, you don't seem to understand what a presupposition is....

My time for posts has been more limited over the last few days. I started classes last Monday, and on Tuesday was assigned a reading for the next week that consisted of a book over 200 pages in length, written by Toulmin. It is interesting because the book really puts to light our entire discussion (as far as illucidating some of the things that are influencing my thinking). I wish I could carry my class discussions over to this forum, but doubt anyone would be able to read Toulmin, let alone want to read 200 pages of him. His writing is easy for a Graduate level class, but very difficult in any other context. It is the two faced monster of Modernity. Sure we are given the "freedom" to take these classes if we would like, but that freedom is really dependant upon our access to the information (how well we are formed to be able to get to such a level). Alas! I will have to content myself in responding to you, Clete, when opportunity arises.

Peace,
Michael

Philetus

Toulmin thought that few arguments actually follow classical models of logic like the syllogism, so he developed a model for analyzing the kind of argument you hear every day. His form focuses on identifying the basic parts of an argument and is usually used in two ways: to analyze by identifying the basic elements of the arguments being made, and to test and critique your own argument.

It is really a very useful model for analyzing the soundness of an argument. You just identify each argument's claims, data, and warrants; then look for qualifiers, rebuttals, and backing for the warrants. Compare the claims and the data between the two arguments. Compare warrants and their backing, qualifiers, and rebuttals. By analyzing the separate parts of an argument, one should be better equipped to evaluate each argument's strengths and weaknesses.

The danger is in complicating an issue to the point that nobody has any idea what your are talking about so that when you are challenged you can dismiss your opponents as ‘fools’ and then redefine the word fool so you feel warm and fuzzy. Or you can always shift away from the issue and just argue about arguing. If that doesn’t work bail out because you are busy and have smarter things to do.

Such misuse of the Toulmin approach/system can complicate a simple argument and actually prevent understanding. Those who do so become obsessed with their own arguments and fail to know when they have been smacked by the truth.

Freedom is not only dependant upon our access to the information (how well we are formed to be able to get to such a level). I find it helpful to also keep in mind that we need to be able to handle the truth if we are to be set free. Enjoy you reading ... it's not as bad as some have made out.

This is a great thread. I hope Toulmin helps … keep it simple.

Jest foolling arround,
Philetus

Status
Not open for further replies.