ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrob57

Clete said:
It's true by definition doc! This is like telling me to prove that circles are round. You don't have to prove such things because circle are round by definition a free action could have been obstained from.

This has not been demonstrated doc. Or if it has I missed it. Perhaps you could give us all a link to the post where this has been established. Will you be man enough to either do so or admit that you cannot?

Resting in Him,
Clete

First off Clete, you can drop the "man enough" stuff. It is uncalled for. You DBC folks have begun taking yourselves entirely too seriously. I guess somebody has to.

This (and following) is where it happened:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21590

Of course, you didn't understand it then, and you won't understand it now. Beleive it or not, your failure to understand is not evidence of your correctness.

RobE

Clete said:
I make a thousand choices a day RodE. I don't understand what you're getting at here.

I'm simply stating that you can only make choices within the physical world itself. Certainly many of the things that the Good or Bad servant do in this life will carry into the next. Fruits.

Clete said:
You do not understand Open Theism. Open Theism does not teach that we can do anything we wish. I cannot defeat Michael Jordon in a game of one on one basketball, no matter how badly I want to do so. I cannot go today and buy a genuine Rolex watch, even though I would really like to do so. There's tons of things I would like to do that I cannot for any number of reasons. The only thing required for Open Theism is that the future is not exhaustively settled, not my ability to do willy-nilly anything that I can imagine doing.

One of us doesn't understand Open Theism. Do you say that you have the power to change the future by your free will or not? I say no. You say yes.

Clete said:
But the point I have repeated made and would like for you to respond too directly is that if God knows my future action then I have no ability to otherwise and that action is therefore, BY DEFINITION, not free.

I say you aren't free to change the future. You would have a better chance against Jordan. Can you save yourself through your own actions?

Godrulz said:
Genuine freedom of choice (chosing among possible alternatives) inherently involves and element of uncertainty or unsettledness. The possible is not known as actual/certain until the choice is made. The exhaustive foreknowledge of future free will contingencies is a logical absurdity or contradiction. We either sacrifice freedom or admit that the future has an element of uncertainty (unknowable). One cannot have their cake and eat it too.

Unless they're Open Theists.

Bob Enyart said:
Does God know our entire future? If He does, I call this the Settled View, then a question arises as to whether God wills for evil to occur, regarding human versus divine responsibility for sin and suffering. Some Settled View proponents say that God has “simple foreknowledge” by which He does not mandate all the future but rather plans His own actions and sees the rest of the future as an observer. Other Settled View proponents say that God not only sees, but also that He has preordained the future. The Open View, alternatively, reports that the future is not settled, and that the responsibility for wickedness thus lies obviously with those in rebellion against God, for cruelties are not required to occur as in the Settled View.

The Settled View, the traditional view of divine exhaustive foreknowledge, holds that God knows everything that will ever happen, eternally, both within the Godhead and without. The Open View teaches that God can change the future. He interacts with the flow of history and changes the outcome of the future as it unfolds by His decisions and actions. Notice that this explanation does not mention human free will. True Openness is based upon God Himself and not upon creaturely free will. Openness exists independent of man’s free will because Openness describes God as He always has been and will be, including throughout eternity past. ...

Who doesn't understand Open Theism? Clete, Godrulz, Bob Enyart? Or me?

Clete said:
There are many. Will I honor my wife today or won't I. Will I share the gospel with some person at work or won't I. Which words will I choose to speak to my neighbor today? All of the things I do that honor God will have a potentially eternal consequence.

Your own righteousness? Saved by Faith? Predestined to be with Him forever?

Rob said:
When the Heavens and Earth are gone then what will be left? What choice can you make in your freedom, Clete? Was Lucifer's choice any different before his judgement?

Clete said:
Every moral action has a potentially eternal consequence either for the good or for the bad. I really don't understand your point here. Please clarify.

What of your righteousness? Filthy rags. Works? You say faith alone predestines your outcome. You can make choices which effect other's choices which effect other's choices, etc....(physics). Cause and effect. Right. Who was the first cause? Whether He knows the future or not, He remains the Alpha, right? If He acts without foresight then He's just as responsible. He started it and He'll finish it. Your actions are based on His original(new) actions. Your actions don't stand independent of His influence whether you desire to be an independent agent or not. You can do nothing 'NEW' in creation. Can He make a 'NEW' creation of you. Of course. He's capable. Can you make a 'NEW' anything. No. Why? Because He set the parameters of your capabilities. He's the creator not you.

Lucifer had to decide whether to be a Good Servant or not. Reign over himself or submit to God. What was Lucifer's free choice? Why? Did Lucifer decide God didn't know everything(maybe didn't know the future)? Was Lucifer made in God's image with all his free choice and knowledge of good and evil? I'll tell you that I believe Lucifer is predestined to the lake of fire. I know his future and I'm only mortal. What's the problem with knowing the future? I can do it. Why can't God? Is the creation greater than the Creator?

Clete said:
But the point I have repeated made and would like for you to respond too directly is that if God knows my future action then I have no ability to otherwise and that action is therefore, BY DEFINITION, not free.

My answer: If I know that Lucifer will be thrown into the lake of fire(which I do) in the future then I didn't cause his outcome, myself. Lucifer earned it through his own actions; even though I foreknow its occurance--- he was free to earn it himself. Does Lucifer believe that there is an escape in his future? Only Satan believes he can spoil God's plans. Do you know anyone else who does? Got it! Again I ask----Can you save yourself?

Future historical knowledge <> causation. Period. Knowledge of outcomes does not make one responsible for another being's actions if they truly have the free will you suggest. That free will(combined with the knowledge of right and wrong) is the very thing that relieves God of responsibility. Will all cows that exercise their free will poorly be thrown into the lake of fire? Do you deny they have free will? Ask a rancher. Our own futures on this rock will end before the seat of judgement. We will be condemned because of our free will (unless Jesus changes our future) no matter what we do. What's your future and who's hands does it rest in? Yours, His, or both?

Once saved maybe always saved, Clete?

Clarity,

Rob

godrulz

Hall of Fame
There are two motifs in Scripture: God settles and knows some of the future (things He brings to pass by His ability, not foreknowledge...e.g. first and second coming of Christ; future judgments), while other aspects are open, unsettled, and known as possible vs actual. Closed theists take the first motif literally, while making the second set of texts figurative. Open Theists rightly accept both motifs/sets of texts at face value. They only contradict if one has faulty theology.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
RobE said:
No matter how it's phrased your statement is true whether God foresaw the future or not. You just can't get it through your head that free will can exist when the creator foresees the outcome.
How can God see it, unless it has already happened? And if it has alreay happened, can we do any different? Can what is already done change? Of course not! So, if we can do no different, how is it a choice? How is it free?

Whether He foresaw our outcome or not. Same answer. Do you see what I'm saying? How could he KNOW not everyone would be saved unless your saying He knew the future?
:think::idea:Because He's not stupid! He's God, and He's knows without having to see the entire future.:duh:

Was worth what? He can't know outcomes so why take the risk in your view? From your stance He couldn't know anything. I'm saying He knew the risk would be worth it because He foresaw the outcome. Get it?
He may not know for certian what the specific outcome would be, but He knows the possible outcomes, and the most likely ones, because He is God. And if He knew the outcome there would be no risk, get it?

I'm simply saying His reasons are His reasons and are not invalid whether He knows the future or not. Open Theism requires a 'surprised' God, does it not?
1] His reasons are not your reasons.
2] His reasons may not even be what you think they are.
3] And God is omniscient, knowing all possibile outcomes of any given situations, and the most likely of those possibilities. There is nothing that would surprise Him.

I really think it makes sense for Christ to want all to be saved even though some wouldn't. He being just and good made it possible for all knowing that some would not avail themselves of the opportunity. Does it matter if He knew this from the beginning or just predicted it on the cross?
Of course He wants them all to be saved. He even said so. He knew not everybody would avail themselves. I am proposing that according to Scripture and reason that He did not know the who.

The Calvinists came up with it to combat Armenius. You believe it. You believe that you are predestined to be with God. I find it interesting in the Open, anything can happen, View; that you hold on to your own predestination.
I believe that because I have submitted to Christ that I am gauranteed to be with Him, no matter what. It has been predestined since I turned to Him.

I did, You did, and e4e did. Because He loved them even though they rejected Him.
Just because He loved them doesn't make sense out of dying for them, knowing they would never turn to Him. If you saw someone walking in front of a car, and you knew that if the car missed them that they were going to shoot themselves with the gun in their hand, would you push them out of the way of the car?

It makes you wonder what God knew beforehand, doesn't it? I also notice this sounds like an argument used by pro-aborts towards the killing of unborn children. And probably by Satan against the creation(my guess).
God knew what could possibly happen, even what would most likely happen.

As for the last two sentences, you make no sense.

God_Is_Truth

docrob57 said:
Can you offer any proof of your assertion? I have presented formal proofs in previous threads demonstrating your position to be false. In return, I was presented with statements such as yours which basically states "what I say is true because I say so."

If you are right, if what you say is true by definition, then proof of your statement should be relatively simple. So please proceed.

Formal Proof:

1. Choice is the ability to choose between two or more options freely (uncoerced)
2. To be a choice, each option must have an equal possibility (not probability) of being chosen. [for example, if there are two options, each has a .5, or 1/2 chance of being chosen. if there are 3, then it becomes .3 repeating or 1/3 for each one and so forth]
3. If God foreknows the future, then all the outcomes he knows will come to pass necessarily have a value of 1 in terms of possibility. all outcomes that he knows will not come to pass necessarily have a possibility of zero.
4. Since the definition of choice required that each option have a value above zero, there are no real choices if God foreknows the future completely.
5. Therefore choice and foreknowledge are mutually exclusive

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God can foreknow what He foreordains. The mistake is to think that He foreordains all vs some things.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
docrob57 said:
First off Clete, you can drop the "man enough" stuff. It is uncalled for. You DBC folks have begun taking yourselves entirely too seriously. I guess somebody has to.

This (and following) is where it happened:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21590

Of course, you didn't understand it then, and you won't understand it now. Beleive it or not, your failure to understand is not evidence of your correctness.
What am I supposed to do read through the entire 255 post thread?

Give me a break doc. There is no one here any more intellectually honest than I am or at least I strive to make that the case. If you can demonstrate that I am wrong then I will (and have in the past) change my position. I do not believe you've even come close to doing so, nor have you even tried to counter my argument, at least not that I recall. Point me to a specific post or simply make the argument again here. Either way is fine but I'm not going to reread a 255-post thread in which the final post both presents a major point in my argument and remains the unresponded too final word in that debate.

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. I do not attend Denver Bible Church although I would if I could. My comments had nothing to do with me or how seriously I take myself, but rather the propensity of people around here to make unfounded claims without the willingness to establish them. I don't recall your having been one of those guilty of such things and so I should have given you the benefit of the doubt and simply asked for the reference without the posturing. My apologies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Doc,

I've just read through the first 120 posts of that thread. Unless something dramatic happened in the second half of our discussion, you did not establish your deterministic free will thesis. If you think you did, perhaps you should read through the thread again yourself. I was perfectly consistent throughout the thread and responded to your arguments point for point and you agreed that my responses were on point and that I hadn't misunderstood you. So your comment about my failure to understand not being evidence of my correctness seems not to apply.

Resting in Him,
Clete

RobE

Lighthouse let me begin again.....

Lighthouse said:
e4e-
If God knew who would and would not accept Jesus, why did Jesus die for all people? Why would Jesus have died for people who would not accept Him anyway?

And why would He [God] create Adam and Eve if He knew they were just going to fall, and He would have to send His Son? What sense does that make?

Rob said:
If God didn't know who would and would not accept Jesus, why did Jesus die for all people? Why would Jesus die for people who would not accept Him anyway?

And why would God create Adam if He knew He was most likely to fall, and He would have to send His Son? What sense does that make?

My answer.....

Because He loved them whether they rejected Him or not.

Lighthouse said:
I suppose you mean, why didn't God just do something that all men would be saved no matter what, right? Well, God, not wanting to force people, allowed us a choice. Because He loves us, and wants us to love Him in return. And you can't have genuine love from someone who does not choose to love you, even if you were God.

Lighthouse said:

3] And God is omniscient, knowing all possibile outcomes of any given situations, and the most likely of those possibilities. There is nothing that would surprise Him.

Except your choices.

Lighthouse said:
Of course He wants them all to be saved. He even said so. He knew not everybody would avail themselves. I am proposing that according to Scripture and reason that He did not know the who.

What Scripture and who's reason.

Lighthouse said:
Just because He loved them doesn't make sense out of dying for them, knowing they would never turn to Him.

Maybe, someone who was just, would give an equal opportunity to all.

Lighthouse said:
God knew what could possibly happen, even what would most likely happen.

I agree He could accurately predict the future.

Yours,

RobE

RobE

I was just wondering if ...... (1)I dropped a rock and (2)it fell to the ground and (3)I knew it would fall............would Open Theism accuse me of making it fall; OR, would they give me the courtesy of recognizing I only allowed it to fall and let nature take its course?

Rob

godrulz

Hall of Fame
RobE said:
I was just wondering if ...... (1)I dropped a rock and (2)it fell to the ground and (3)I knew it would fall............would Open Theism accuse me of making it fall; OR, would they give me the courtesy of recognizing I only allowed it to fall and let nature take its course?

Rob

A rock (inanimate creation) operates under the law of cause and effect. It is predictable unless operated on by an outside force (gravity is constant; friction; acceleration, etc.). If God supernaturally intervenes (or if man naturally intervenes), things can be different than one would normally expect.

This is NOT parallel to animate creation (animals, etc.) which operate under the law of instinct.

Moral creation (man, angels, etc.) does not operate under the law of cause-effect (unless one jumps off a bridge without supernatural intervention). Man is governed by the law of freedom and love.

Hence, the nature of choice is not parallel to the predictable law of cause and effect:

If an act be free, it must be contingent. If contigent, it may or may not happen, or it may be one of many possibles. And if it may be one of many possibles, it must be uncertain; andif uncertain, it must be unknowable.

A certain event will inevitably come to pass, a necessary event must come to pass, but a contigent (free choice) event may or may not come to pass. Contingency is an equal possibility of being and not being.

The future choice of holiness (moral vs cause-effect) or sinfulness is, therefore, a thing now wholly undetermined, and hence an unknowable thing. And being an unknowable thing, its prescience (foreknowledge) involves an absurdity, and hence ignorance thereof necessitates no imperfection in Deity.

A future free act is, previous to its existence, a nothing; the knowing of a nothing is a bald contradiction.

As omnipotence is limited by the possible (see Aquinas who proved this), so omniscience is limited by the knowable...we do not limit omnipotence by denying its power to do impossible or self-contradictory things. Neither do we limit omniscience by denying its power to foreknow unknowable things.

Hence, the exhaustive foreknowledge of future free will contingencies is a logical absurdity or contradiction.

Based on past and present knowledge, God or anyone can predict what will happen to the rock WHEN it is dropped. This is different that predicting when and if someone will drop a rock at time x at place y from trillions of years ago. There is nothing causative that would allow foreknowledge of this event before it is contemplated. When things are set in motion, then it becomes a possible object of knowledge.

The future is not there yet. It was not possible to know, trillions of years ago, that I would do this:gijegh0hj]tpawoknssz*9å*åbekjbhjd bnj JIJIJJIIJJI. This was random and unpredictable. Now that the keys are mushed, it is an object of knowledge. Before I did this (out of character), it may be known as possible, but not certain/actual (unless you assume the future is like the past and has already happened...nope). God certainly knows all future possibilities, but in light of His omnicompetence, it is needless for Him to know all future actualities.

Time is the actualization of the potential future into the fixed past (presentism). God is not an 'eternal now' simultaneity. He experiences endless time (duration, sequence, succession). This is one root of the Platonic error that has confused Christian doctrine.

Someone rep me for my effort :cool:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
RobE said:

Rob
People do not do what they do for the same reasons rocks do as they do. The actions of rocks are causal and without moral implication. Rocks have no will, free or otherwise and thus your question has nothing to do with open theism. In other words, if God knows our actions the same way you know that a droped rock falls to the ground then we have no free will and anything you could call moral is perfectly meaningless.

Resting in Him,
Clete

RobE

Follow up for Godrulz

Follow up for Godrulz

RobE said:

Rob

I was just wondering if ...... (1)God created a man who could fall and (2) he fell and (3)God knew he would fall............would Open Theism accuse God of making him fall; OR, would they give God the courtesy of recognizing He only allowed the man to fall and let nature take its course?

Thanks,

Rob

Godrulz. Cause and effect takes place in everything, logically. There are natural and supernatural laws that determine outcomes.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
RobE said:
I was just wondering if ...... (1)God created a man who could fall and (2) he fell and (3)God knew he would fall............would Open Theism accuse God of making him fall; OR, would they give God the courtesy of recognizing He only allowed the man to fall and let nature take its course?

Thanks,

Rob

Godrulz. Cause and effect takes place in everything, logically. There are natural and supernatural laws that determine outcomes.

Cause and effect apply to inanimate creation. Choice originates in the will of man. One can freely chose among alternatives. A rock is limited to a narrow range of things out of its control. We have creative ability that is not causal. If our choices were caused by something outside us, they would not be free.

God did create Lucifer and man with free moral agency. This involved calculated risk that they could fall. It was His intention that they would not fall. There was nothing necessitating that the potential to fall would be actualized. God knew it was possible they would fall. He did not know that it was certain until they actually fell (or contemplating to disobey...God knows the past and present perfectly, but the future as possible or probable).

Calvinism may try to accuse God of making them fall (exhaustive, meticulous control....then it would be knowable, like the First and Second Coming of Christ).

God did allow man to fall. His disposition changed from delight at a 'very good' creation, to being grieved and wanting to wipe it out. This was a change that was not a foregone conclusion from eternity past. Take the text at face value rather than rationalizing it away to retain a preconceived theology.

God is not responsible for heinous evil (vs determinism). God could know a robbery was going to take place without causing it to happen. This is more about perfect past and present knowledge than remote (vs proximal) future knowledge. This does not prove exhaustive foreknowledge from the distant past.

Natural and supernatural laws explain present and past issues. They are not a mechanism for indefensible simple foreknowledge of a non-existent future (the future is not a place or thing...it is not yet, and thus unknowable unless God purposes to unconditionally bring some vs all things to pass by His ability, not His foreknowledge).

If you insist on exhaustive foreknowledge, you must accept determinism (negating free will and responsibility/creativity). God, in His free sovereignty, chose to create a non-deterministic creation. This resulted in omniscience that cannot include exhaustive foreknowledge of future free choices.

God_Is_Truth

RobE said:

Rob

We would say #3 was false. You did not know for sure it would fall. You only assumed that since it fell every time before due to gravity that it would thus fall again. You assumed things would continue to operate just as they had before, which isn't necessarily true. Thus, you were only relatively sure it would drop. You were not 100% positive. The possibility of it not falling existed, which foreknowlege would not allow.

RobE

Agreed.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by RobE

Rob

God_Is_Truth said:
We would say #3 was false. You did not know for sure it would fall. You only assumed that since it fell every time before due to gravity that it would thus fall again. You assumed things would continue to operate just as they had before, which isn't necessarily true. Thus, you were only relatively sure it would drop. You were not 100% positive. The possibility of it not falling existed, which foreknowlege would not allow.

Honestly said. You do understand Open Theism. So knowing that in a universe with infinite possibilities anything can happen. If the rock didn't fall then it would be a miracle(or in your words an infinitely small possibility). For instance, a blind man could now see; a dead man walks out of his tomb, water transmutes to wine, etc.....

What we're talking about here is change. The rock falls an infinity-1 times; but is capable of not falling when there's an infinite set of possibilities(change = falls vs. doesn't fall). In other words "is anything possible?".

The settled view would pronounce this a miracle in that the 'effect' was altered in it's natural course.(and that God made it happen)

The open view would pronounce this nature in that the 'effect' was part of the universe's set of possibilities.(and who could possibly know this would happen)

Which is more probable? Augustine realized that anything is possible for God. Just as you and I do. Open Theism has no NEW thought of its own other than God can't do the impossible-----Even though He's done it before and continues to do it!!!
Yours,

Rob

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
RobE,

I don't understand why you seem content to argue against points that no one has made. No one has suggested that God cannot do what is impossible for us to do or that which is super natural. That is indeed the very definition of a miracle. But what God cannot do is the logically absurd. God cannot go to a place that doesn't exist, or create perfect spheres with 12 edges or any other self contradictory things such as that. He cannot do those sorts of things because to do them is to not do them. It's absurd and God is not absurd nor is it necessary to believe in absurdities in order to be a Christian.

And if you insist otherwise then why bother debating it? Why try to prove the irrational? It litterally makes no sense!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
God_Is_Truth said:
I have to disagree with you GIT. If we cannot know that rocks fall when dropped, then we really can't know anything at all and that is not the basis for our logical argument against exhaustive forknowledge. The argument isn't that nothing is knowable, the argument is simply that God does not exhaustively know our future actions because if God does know, by whatever means, what my future action will be, then my ability to do otherwise ends at the moment His knowledge becomes sure, and thereby my freedom is detroyed and with it goes morality as well.

Resting in Him,
Clete

RobE

Clete said:
RobE,

I don't understand why you seem content to argue against points that no one has made. No one has suggested that God cannot do what is impossible for us to do or that which is super natural. That is indeed the very definition of a miracle. But what God cannot do is the logically absurd. God cannot go to a place that doesn't exist, or create perfect spheres with 12 edges or any other self contradictory things such as that. He cannot do those sorts of things because to do them is to not do them. It's absurd and God is not absurd nor is it necessary to believe in absurdities in order to be a Christian.

And if you insist otherwise then why bother debating it? Why try to prove the irrational? It litterally makes no sense!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Is it possible that God can foresee the future or in your own omniscience(of supernatural laws and logic) is it impossible for God to foresee the future? In other words: Would it be a miracle for God to see the future and is He capable of doing miracles?

There. Did I start the argument? Do you understand what I'm saying?

Friends,

Rob

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
RobE said:
Is it possible that God can foresee the future or in your own omniscience(of supernatural laws and logic) is it impossible for God to foresee the future? In other words: Would it be a miracle for God to see the future and is He capable of doing miracles?

There. Did I start the argument? Do you understand what I'm saying?

Friends,

Rob
Given the moral nature of God and the fact that it means something to say that God is good, as well as the Biblical purpose of our having been created, as well as the nature of time itself, no it would not be a miracle for God to "see" the future, it would be a logical absurdity.
First of all the future does not exist for Him to "see" or be outside of. And secondly, as I have said repeatedly now without response, if God knows the future, BY WHATEVER MEANS, then we are not free and morality is meaningless and God would be unjust to punish immoral behavior because no other behavior would have been possible.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Status
Not open for further replies.