ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hey, Yorzhik.

I'm not Clete, (just hope to be someday:D ) but I went to your link and read the thread and a couple of things struck me.

First you dun good! Good replies to the comments and with a humble spirit, too.

However, I think you bit off more than anyone could chew. Starting in 'enemy territory' by lumping Greg B. and Bob E. in the same camp would likely stir up a hornets nest here so its no surprise that in a forum where almost every poster (except one self-declared young immature Christian) admitted right off the bat that they never heard of Open View Theism, you raised more issues than necessary. If you have read Boyd's "Myth of a Christian Nation" then you know that he and Bob E. are not on the same page when it comes to how Government should function. I think that confused some on the other forum. Not all open theists share all of Bob's views, nor do all agree with Greg on issues of Government. (When he preached the series that later became the book, one third of his church left.)

Had you started off with the basics of Open Theism only, you probably would have made better progress and been burned at the stake much sooner.:rotfl:

Man, that thread really shows how ingrained the church is in Augustinian philosopie and Constantine's Christendoom. (sad pun intended)

What an illustration of how much work we have to do in learning ways to say it clearly, so that we are heard before we burn.:crackup:

Rep to you for the courageous effort!:first:
Ya, I wanted to add Greg Boyd because there is so much about him/his OV on the net that they can access that doesn't carry all the civil activism with it. But it clearly didn't work. I won't do that next time. And I won't respond to the questions on government next time either.

Lon

Calvinism is more logically consistent than Arminianism but they are both diametrically apposed to Open Theism (and therefore the Bible in my view).

Are you saying your moving from Arminianism toward Calvinism or toward open theism?

I've only seen OT indepth for about 4 months now. Probably for about 2 months I didn't even realize what the theology background here was.

A few of your and Godrulz' posts caused me to start digging.

So you are right, over the past 10-15 years, I've been systematically replacing my Arminian ideology.

In Him

Lonnie

Lon

I would rather contribute to the bean crop than the tulips. Nothing wrong with flowers, but my BS is more likely suited to beens than bloomers. :chuckle:

Calvinists have a tendency to run themselves off. This amazing thread was started in opposition to OVT. I've learned from both camps. If the opposition gets a backpat from an OVer here in this thread, it is well deserved. It isn't charity. That doesn't mean Calvinism doesn't stink. :jazz: It's just harder and harder to find one that admits full-boar to being one.

It's an up and down thing. I believe you are right that it is more to do with wanting rigorous debate than anything, when I see it. AMR was pounced! :)

In Him

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Lonster,

"He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

How is this quote compatible with a Calvinist worldview?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Lon

Lonster,

"He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

How is this quote compatible with a Calvinist worldview?

Resting in Him,
Clete

It's scriptural:

Luk 9:23 And He said to all, If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me.
Luk 9:24 For whoever will save his life shall lose it, but whoever will lose his life for My sake, he shall save it. (I believe this is the verse Elliot was paraphrasing).

Joh 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who has sent Me draw him, and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:45 It is written in the Prophets, "And they shall all be taught of God." Therefore everyone who hears and learns from the Father comes to Me.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
It's scriptural:

Luk 9:23 And He said to all, If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me.
Luk 9:24 For whoever will save his life shall lose it, but whoever will lose his life for My sake, he shall save it. (I believe this is the verse Elliot was paraphrasing).

Joh 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who has sent Me draw him, and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:45 It is written in the Prophets, "And they shall all be taught of God." Therefore everyone who hears and learns from the Father comes to Me.
You missed the point of the question.

If a man cannot come to God unless God predestines him to do so then how is the man who wasn't predestined to come to God a fool? He's only doing what he was predestined to do just as is the other man.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Lon

You missed the point of the question.

If a man cannot come to God unless God predestines him to do so then how is the man who wasn't predestined to come to God a fool? He's only doing what he was predestined to do just as is the other man.

Resting in Him,
Clete

You can be predistined to be a fool. With my Calvinist perspective, I also see us as being implored to turn to Christ in scripture. So I'm Calvinist light mostly because I was not trained in Calvinism but have been studying. Possibly Patrick will weigh in here for a solid response in one of the threads. At this point I see a flip side to a double-sided coin. We have choices, God knows them.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
You can be predistined to be a fool. With my Calvinist perspective, I also see us as being implored to turn to Christ in scripture. So I'm Calvinist light mostly because I was not trained in Calvinism but have been studying. Possibly Patrick will weigh in here for a solid response in one of the threads. At this point I see a flip side to a double-sided coin. We have choices, God knows them.

"We have choices, God knows them." is an Arminian argument. The Calvinist would say "We have choices, God predestined them." There's a difference.

What would you say it means to be a fool?

Resting in Him,
Clete

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's scriptural:

Who are those who God draws? Who are those who hear and learn from the Father "according to the prophets"?

Isaiah 1:16 Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your doings from before my eyes; cease to do evil, 17 learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; defend the fatherless, plead for the widow. 18 “Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. 19 If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land; 20 but if you refuse and rebel, you shall be devoured by the sword; for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”

Isaiah 64:4 From of old no one has heard or perceived by the ear, no eye has seen a God besides thee, who works for those who wait for him. 5 Thou meetest him that joyfully works righteousness

Isaiah 66:2 All these things my hand has made, and so all these things are mine, says the LORD. But this is the man to whom I will look, he that is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word. 5 Hear the word of the LORD, you who tremble at his word:

There is nothing Calvinistic in Isaiah.

Lon

"We have choices, God knows them." is an Arminian argument. The Calvinist would say "We have choices, God predestined them." There's a difference.

What would you say it means to be a fool?

Resting in Him,
Clete

I had it written: "We have choices, God knows them and wills them." originally, but the same question you ask, I also ask. It leads to accusatory threads, if it cannot be explained well. I believe in God's permissive will, but it all becomes a defintions conundrum and circular quickly, so I don't show my Calvinistic leanings often. I believe God allows us to make poor choices. He's letting weeds grow amongst us, so there is purpose, but I'm not comfortable with the extrapolations (Like the God of Calvinism is a vile.....). That just hurts.

Being a fool:
The opposite of being wise. This is both logical and practical. It would be 'foolish' to argue with my parents on a discipline matter. It would be foolish to not take math if I want to be a nuclear physicist.

The Bible addresses both: "The fool has said in his heart there is no God." (Logical, 'foolish' thinking).

"Rebuke a fool and He will despise you." (practical, 'foolish' practice)

Lon

Who are those who God draws? Who are those who hear and learn from the Father "according to the prophets"?

Isaiah 1:16 Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your doings from before my eyes; cease to do evil, 17 learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; defend the fatherless, plead for the widow. 18 “Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. 19 If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land; 20 but if you refuse and rebel, you shall be devoured by the sword; for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”

Isaiah 64:4 From of old no one has heard or perceived by the ear, no eye has seen a God besides thee, who works for those who wait for him. 5 Thou meetest him that joyfully works righteousness

Isaiah 66:2 All these things my hand has made, and so all these things are mine, says the LORD. But this is the man to whom I will look, he that is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word. 5 Hear the word of the LORD, you who tremble at his word:

There is nothing Calvinistic in Isaiah.

Hello Dave,

Please be patient with my questions:

1) Isaiah vs. John? Are you pitting scripture against scripture?

2) Acquiescence? Are you saying: "Yes, John is a Calvinists book so I'm going somewhere else for my beliefs." ?

3) Isaiah is an address to God's 'chosen' people. How do you answer your question? It seems you are saying "God draws those He has chosen." ?

4) If that is true, your last statement is the biggest question of all.

"There is nothing Calvinistic in Isaiah?"

I'm just trying to get a grasp onto your line of address here.

I'm not understanding any of it.

In Him

Lon

Johnny Boy

BANNED
Banned
The problem I would have with open theism is that it is exactly the one side of Euphythro's delima;

That is the volitional imperfection of God's will being formed, determined, and judged by anything outside Himself. (formed by human free will decisions).

Philetus

The problem I would have with open theism is that it is exactly the one side of Euphythro's delima;

That is the volitional imperfection of God's will being formed, determined, and judged by anything outside Himself. (formed by human free will decisions).

I guess it just goes with the territory of deciding/willing to be a God of relationships instead of just a God of your own private universe existing in and for self. Sure, it involves risk and movement to create 'others' and give them significant 'say-so' in living the life you gave them. And depending on just how important relationships are, it may even involve self-sacrifice. Sort'a like the picture we get of God in the life of Jesus; don't you think?

The contention between creator and creature is no where expressed more ridiculously than in the creature's self expression to keep his creator at a distance after such great effort and selfless expression as we see in the cross to draw near. Perhaps the greatest sin is to devise systems of thinking that prevent a great Big God from relating to real little people. One thing is for sure, such thinking keeps us from any guilt of not relating to our neighbors.

"I didn't feed you because God willed you to be hungry and me to be selfish. And I sure don't want to be like you by taking issue with God's will (thank God I'm not like other men)."

"Euphythro's delima" is that he doesn't want to take responsibility for his God given life and relate to any other, especially God. The only way he can maintain distance from his neighbor is to keep his creator at a distance as well. It only works until he himself is in need.

God can do what ever God wants to do. But, even God must live with the consequences of God's decisions and actions. Bummer! Perhaps the greatest fool is the one who says, "I'm a fool because God made me a fool."

danjoeblue7

God is Sovereign in Isaiah.

God is Sovereign in Isaiah.

Greetings,

Isaiah is very, if we must use the word, Calvinistic

Isaiah 45:7
"I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things."

Isaiah 14:24
"The Lord of hosts has sworn: 'As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand.'"

Isaiah 14:27
"For the Lord of hosts has purposed, and who will annul it? His hand is stretched out, and who will turn it back?"

In Isaiah 10 the king of Assyria is used by God as the rod of His anger to punish Israel. Then God turn around and punishes the king of Assyria for what God Himself used the king for. Go read it. It is really something.

Isaiah, over and over and over again call God Sovereign. I don't see how someone could say that Isaiah is does not support the complete Sovereignty of God over all things; including calamity. (Is. 45:7)

One more, but this is from Jeremiah.

Jeremiah 10:23
"I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself,
that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps."

Grace and peace-

Danjoeblue7

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hello Dave,

Please be patient with my questions:

1) Isaiah vs. John? Are you pitting scripture against scripture?

2) Acquiescence? Are you saying: "Yes, John is a Calvinists book so I'm going somewhere else for my beliefs." ?

3) Isaiah is an address to God's 'chosen' people. How do you answer your question? It seems you are saying "God draws those He has chosen." ?

4) If that is true, your last statement is the biggest question of all.

"There is nothing Calvinistic in Isaiah?"

I'm just trying to get a grasp onto your line of address here.

I'm not understanding any of it.

In Him

Lon

1. I'm using scripture to interpret scripture.

2. John is no Calvinist either.

3. God draws those who are "contrite in spirit, ect.

4. God calls to repentence those who are not in Him.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

How would the settled view fix Euthyphro's Dilemma? If I understand your point a rejection of the open view would only take the other horn of the dilemma, would it not?

In actual fact the resolution to Euthyphro's Dilemma is found in relationship and as such provides a surprising philosophical proof of the doctrine of the Trinity.

Bob Enyart presented the following brilliant resolution to Euthyphro's Dilemma right here on TOL during Battle Royale VII - Bob Enyart vs. Zakath: Does God Exist?.

4) God’s Accountability to an Unchanging Standard: This section goes beyond the point in the Absolute Nature of Laws section above, where Zakath said that I hold to an “anything goes” morality and that for this morality, “by definition, good and evil exist only at the whim of the deity.” (Interestingly, atheists often do this with humans, justifying homosexuality as an inborn nature, denying the personal responsibility of drug addicts, and some even defending rapists and murderers as simply living out their natures.) Zakath then carried this one step further claiming that therefore: “…no action performed by God can be out of his character;” that is, because if God does something, then by definition it is in His nature to do it, and we theists would also declare anything He does as righteous. So Zakath misrepresented my position by implying that I had not already responded to this. He ignored an important clarification in my post:

Bob: “God could not do evil (anything against the present description of His nature), and remain holy.”

Why did I insert the word present into the above sentence? Zakath, if you read carefully, I will resolve Euthyphro’s Dilemma for Plato and Socrates, and deny you the honest use of it in the future. But Zakath, if while reading this section you allow your mind to fly through a thousand counter arguments, without discipline, you will once again fail to even understand the point. So please put your auto-pilot Bible rebuttal mode in its upright and locked position, and first comprehend this new material.

God’s nature is not sufficiently pliable that it could embrace truth and perjury, private property and theft, loyalty and disloyalty, and punishing and rewarding of the same behavior. Thus, God could conceivably violate His own nature, because once His nature is described (in what becomes a definition of righteousness), then anything God does contrary to that description would correctly be deemed as unrighteous. For example, using the biblical paradigm, if Jesus Christ gave into temptation by submitting to evil and worshipping Satan, then He would not have remained righteous.

It is not that anything God conceivably could do would therefore be moral, just because He did it. It is that we expect God to remain steadfastly good, consistent with the existing description of His nature. God does not save those who trust Him because He has no choice, but because He wills to, but if He willed to embrace evil (as described currently by His nature) then He would no longer be the righteous God. Quoting the overlooked sentence again:

“God could not do evil (anything against the present description of His nature), and remain holy.” Thus, moral inconsistency is an absolute determinant for wrong. Plato and Socrates missed this important test partly because their dialogue was replete with mentions of Greek gods who, as Socrates noted, contradicted one another as to goodness. Thus the contradictions within the mythical pantheon of Greece falsified any claim of absolute morality made by Euthyphro on behalf of his gods and goddesses. But Plato recorded this dialogue without the knowledge that you possess Zakath, that of the claim of a Christian God who has no such internal inconsistency. God does not fight within Himself about what is right and wrong; but if He ever did, then He would no longer remain the holy God. And there is nothing remotely circular about this. We look for inconsistencies in courtroom testimony because inconsistencies reveal lies and deceptions. Thus consistency is a necessary property of righteousness (and thus of being right). “A faithful witness does not lie, but a false witness will utter lies [and inconsistencies]” (Proverbs 14:5). Again, moral inconsistency is a litmus test for evil. Thus a religious book like the Bible generally claims in forty passages that the steadfast love of the Lord never changes in that He is faithful, that is, He is consistent.

Humans are social beings, and our morality magnifies itself in our actions toward others. But because we are social beings, even actions committed against ourselves affect others, as for example when we hurt ourselves to manipulate others, like Gandhi did; or even the person seeking to escape his own pain by committing suicide, who hurts those around him. Thus because morality is social, a social God who interacts with multiple persons has an additional context in which to objectively demonstrate His morality. Let me illustrate the implications of this using the Christian conception of the Trinitarian God, Father, Son and Spirit, three persons in one God. If God is a Trinitarian God, then He has an eternal track record of interaction between the persons of the Godhead. And if during that eternal fellowship, if any moral inconsistency appeared, then God would be objectively evil. But an atheist may ask, “What if there was no inconsistency because this God is consistently evil?” A God with other persons to interact with has other frames of reference, that is, other perspectives from which to declare Himself. Thus if the Son willingly submits to the Father, because He implicitly trusts the Father from whom He has never experienced harm, and the Spirit brings glory to the Son, because He has never felt threatened by the Son, and the Father loves the Son and the Spirit, never having His wellbeing jeopardized by either, then “by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established.” Thus even though it is the only standard He has ever known, God the Father can determine that His own standard is righteous because He has never violated it, and because the independent persons of the Son and the Spirit testify that the Father has never violated their own self-interests [Luke 16:12].

This process is greatly amplified when God creates other beings, and as He reveals Himself to them in various ways. For, He must behave toward them in their own best interest, or else He violates His own standard of love. And He must punish those who hurt others, or else He violates His own standard of justice. And if God’s intention was not for the welfare but for the harm of created eternal beings, then He would have violated His own declared standard.

Thus while moral inconsistency indicates wickedness, eternal consistency proves either continuous good or continuous evil; and multiple perspectives from independent persons provide information regarding whether God acts on behalf of, or against, their best interests. Of course, an atheist will accuse the Bible’s God, if He exists, of endless evils, but since atheists deny any system of absolute morality, for their logical argument to succeed, they would have to show that the concept of the Christian God is internally inconsistent, violating His own standard of righteousness.

In his talk, “Why I Am Not a Christian,” Bertrand Russell wrote that: “if you are quite sure there is a difference between right and wrong, then you are in this situation: Is that difference due to God’s fiat [arbitrary decree] or is it not? If it is due to God’s fiat, then for God himself there is no difference between right and wrong, and it is no longer a significant statement to say that God is good. If you are going to say, as theologians do, that God is good, you must then say that right and wrong have some meaning which is independent of God’s fiat, because God’s fiats are good and not bad independently of the mere fact that he made them. If you are going to say that, you will then have to say that it is not only through God that right and wrong came into being, but that they are in their essence logically anterior to God.”

Plato, Socrates, Bertrand Russell… morons. (Actually, I’m just quoting from Princess Bride, one of our favorite movies.) Well, not morons, but fools yes, because they denied the Creator. Because of their prejudice against God, their fertile minds did not conceive of the simple possibility that a description of God’s nature is independent of His nature itself, and thus, God could hold Himself to that description of His nature, which description I admit initially existed only within Himself, but after Creation it would exist in any of the manifest ways in which God has revealed Himself. And so, right and wrong are not due to God’s arbitrary decrees, but flow from the description of His nature, a description which He could theoretically violate. Thus, the system of morality based upon God is not logically unsound as claimed by atheists.

Because Zakath uncritically accepted the popular atheist use of the Euthyphro Dilemma, he summed up its challenge this way: “In the question of whether or not God can be the source for ‘absolute morals,’ the choice for the theist boils down to this, choose between: admitting that he has no real standard of morality, only a morality based upon the slavery of blindly following orders; or admitting that God is not the source of morality.”

Zakath, do you agree that I have solved Euthyphro’s Dilemma by observing that, if God exists, a description of God’s nature can be independent of His nature itself, and thus there is no logical contradiction in the possibility that God’s nature defines an objective moral standard?

If there were no God, then absolute right could not exist. Thus, atheists reason correctly from their atheistic premise when they declare that absolute right and wrong do not exist, for if God did not exist, neither would right and wrong. Thus, for the reader questioning the existence of God, weigh the evidence: ask yourself, is it really wrong to rape a woman, lynch a black, torment a child, or are these not absolutely wrong, but simple valid preferences of others. If such crimes are not really wrong, then there is no God. If crimes are truly wrong, then a personal, loving, and just God does exist and you should ask Him for forgiveness for the hurt that you have inflicted upon others.

Also, you attempted another slight of hand with this: If “‘God is good’ [and] if god is the standard of goodness… then to say “God is good” is merely to say “God is god.”“ Oops. You are confusing the property of an entity with the entity itself. If the boss is also the janitor, you do state a pointless tautology by substituting one for the other to get the boss is the boss. But to say that the boss is the janitor speaks volumes. And to say God is love [meaning that His nature defines commitment to others], or that Michael Jordan is the standard [meaning that he has defined basketball skill], does not require us to reduce either to God is God or Michael is Michael, as though nothing real is being communicated. Otherwise, you make the bizarre claim that no aspect of a thing could ever conceivably set a standard. For example, by your faulty logic, the speed of light cannot even theoretically be an absolute, because then all Einstein said was, “the speed of light is the speed of light.”​

Bob Enyart, the author of the above quotation, argues for open theism just as brilliantly in Battle Royale X - Samuel Lamerson vs. Bob Enyart: Openness Theology - Does God Know Your Entire Future?

I encourage you to read that entire debate. It's quite long but it is so worth the time to read. Even if you don't get convinced that open theism is true, you'll learn more about the Bible inside on one debate than you'd learn in two years sitting in one of Dr. Lamerson's classes.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Status
Not open for further replies.