ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

godrulz said:
SV makes the verses about God changing His mind anthropomorphic…
No, the claim is that the word (“nacham”) has other meanings, or that there is a change of response, and not a change of plan.

And I pretty much must repeat my previous post to Patman, none of the points were addressed.

patman said:
Lee, your theology causes you to make God the author of sin, so you see it everywhere you look.
No, actually, there are clear verses that state this, and you are not even defending your own view here any more, because it is simply indefensible.

In giving the devil permission to strike Job, is this not God being an agent? Even on your own view, God is the one responsible for Job’s troubles, by removing the hedge. Could God not stop Satan at any time? If so, how then was God not controlling what happened to Job? And removing an obstacle so a rock can roll down a hill, knowing what it will hit, is to be a cause.

Scripture tells us who actually brought the trouble on Job:

Job 42:11 They comforted and consoled him over all the trouble the Lord had brought upon him…

And Job was not rebuked for saying God struck him, in fact, Scripture says he did not sin when he said this, there is no rebuke in chapter one, yet by your view, there should have been one. And Elihu, whom you have said is correct in his evaluation, is saying God struck Job:

Job 33:29-30 God does all these things to a man-- twice, even three times--to turn back his soul from the pit, that the light of life may shine on him.

Job 36:8-10 But if men are bound in chains, held fast by cords of affliction, he tells them what they have done-- that they have sinned arrogantly. He makes them listen to correction and commands them to repent of their evil.

Job 36:17 But now you are laden with the judgment due the wicked; judgment and justice have taken hold of you.

And scripture does say again and again that the Lord brings trouble on others at the hands of sinful men.

2 Samuel 7:14 I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with the rod of men, with floggings inflicted by men.

Amos 3:6 When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble? When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it?

Isaiah 10:16-17 Does the ax raise itself above him who swings it, or the saw boast against him who uses it? As if a rod were to wield him who lifts it up, or a club brandish him who is not wood! Isaiah Therefore, the Lord, the LORD Almighty, will send a wasting disease upon his sturdy warriors...

Jeremiah 30:14-15 All your allies have forgotten you; they care nothing for you. I have struck you as an enemy would and punished you as would the cruel, because your guilt is so great and your sins so many. Why do you cry out over your wound, your pain that has no cure? Because of your great guilt and many sins I have done these things to you.

Other verses could be mentioned, this is a plain theme in Scripture.

"This is the same lesson we learn from 2 Cor. 12:7 where Paul says that his thorn in the flesh was a messenger of Satan, and yet was given for the purpose of his own holiness. 'To keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me – to keep me from exalting myself!' Now, humility is not Satan's purpose in this affliction. Therefore the purpose is God's. Which means that Satan here is being used by God to accomplish his good purposes in Paul's life." (John Piper)

Blessings,
Lee

godrulz

Hall of Fame
sentientsynth said:
godrulz, can you define what a figure of speech is, and what criteria one uses to determine them?

Do I look like an English teacher or grammarian?

There are a variety of figures of speech: metaphor, simile, hyperbole, personification, etc. Here is a list for you:

http://www.nipissingu.ca/faculty/williams/figofspe.htm#Figures of Thought

Hermeneutics is a broad field. Figures of speech would be a big topic also. Context, grammar, etc. are the keys. Not everyone agrees on what is or is not figurative in any given verse. e.g. This is my blood and body is a metaphor for Protestants and literal (transubstantiation) for Catholics. Other relevant verses will help us understand. God does not have wings. Jesus is not a wooden door, etc.

The issue about God changing His mind is not figurative unless you assume this to support a preconceived, Platonic/Augustinian theology. Some verses state that God changes His mind. Other verses say that He will not change His mind. The resolution is that God sometimes changes His mind, but in other cases He will not (vs cannot) change His mind. Any change in God's intentions based on changing contingencies are not fickle or capricious, like the way man changes His mind. So, the proof texts should be taken at face value. God can change His mind, but does not always do so. We He does, it is not fickle, but consistent with His faithfulness.

The problem with making God's self-revelation figurative without warrant is that there would be no way to communicate the opposite concept if it was true (if God changing His mind does not mean what it says, then how would God say that He can change His mind other than the way He did already?). If the face value interpretation is not accepted, then what is God trying to communicate? All relevant texts, not just proof texts with sloppy exegesis, must be considered in the debate.

We would have to look at each case on its own merits. We would likely agree on most verses as to figurative vs literal.

e.g. JWs say Proverbs 8 'wisdom' refers to Jesus as a created being (Arian). In fact, it is a personification of wisdom (she).

patman

sentientsynth said:
Thanks for your response.

I was sure that you'd expose yourself as a consummate poseur, exactly as you have done. Just so long as settled viewers realize that there's no need to take you seriously.

Hey, SS.

Thanks for the negative rep and calling me "lame"! First time getting that, so apparently someone is taking me seriously. If I took you seriously, I would have answered you so. You just like to throw your weight around, like your hero Hilston. Have fun calling God the author of sin, and good luck with that!

Last edited:

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
sentientsynth, wrote:

Bob Hill,

I'd like to engage you regarding this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hill

The Open View holds that God is omniscient, but because He gave us free will, the future doesn't exist to be known, unless God determined something would be done in the future.

sentientsynth,
When you say "the future doesn't exist to be known, unless God determined something would be done in the future", do you mean that if "God has determined something would be done in the future", then this portion of the future "exists to be known"? This is the logical consequence of your statement.

Bob Hill responds: NO! You jump to an inaccurate conclusion, apparently because you want to. The future that God determined would still be unknown to us unless God revealed it like He did in the book of Revelation.

The future does not exist. If it is to be known by us, God will tell us things about the future, but we only would know this future thing as God told us.

Your statement

“this portion of the future ‘exists to be known’? This is the logical consequence of your statement.”

is wrong!

That’s all!

Bob Hill

patman

lee_merrill said:
No, actually, there are clear verses that state this, and you are not even defending your own view here any more, because it is simply indefensible.

In giving the devil permission to strike Job, is this not God being an agent? Even on your own view, God is the one responsible for Job’s troubles, by removing the hedge. Could God not stop Satan at any time? If so, how then was God not controlling what happened to Job? And removing an obstacle so a rock can roll down a hill, knowing what it will hit, is to be a cause.

Scripture tells us who actually brought the trouble on Job:

Job 42:11 They comforted and consoled him over all the trouble the Lord had brought upon him…

And Job was not rebuked for saying God struck him, in fact, Scripture says he did not sin when he said this, there is no rebuke in chapter one, yet by your view, there should have been one. And Elihu, whom you have said is correct in his evaluation, is saying God struck Job:

Job 33:29-30 God does all these things to a man-- twice, even three times--to turn back his soul from the pit, that the light of life may shine on him.

Job 36:8-10 But if men are bound in chains, held fast by cords of affliction, he tells them what they have done-- that they have sinned arrogantly. He makes them listen to correction and commands them to repent of their evil.

Job 36:17 But now you are laden with the judgment due the wicked; judgment and justice have taken hold of you.

And scripture does say again and again that the Lord brings trouble on others at the hands of sinful men.

2 Samuel 7:14 I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with the rod of men, with floggings inflicted by men.

Amos 3:6 When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble? When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it?

Isaiah 10:16-17 Does the ax raise itself above him who swings it, or the saw boast against him who uses it? As if a rod were to wield him who lifts it up, or a club brandish him who is not wood! Isaiah Therefore, the Lord, the LORD Almighty, will send a wasting disease upon his sturdy warriors...

Jeremiah 30:14-15 All your allies have forgotten you; they care nothing for you. I have struck you as an enemy would and punished you as would the cruel, because your guilt is so great and your sins so many. Why do you cry out over your wound, your pain that has no cure? Because of your great guilt and many sins I have done these things to you.

Other verses could be mentioned, this is a plain theme in Scripture.

"This is the same lesson we learn from 2 Cor. 12:7 where Paul says that his thorn in the flesh was a messenger of Satan, and yet was given for the purpose of his own holiness. 'To keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me – to keep me from exalting myself!' Now, humility is not Satan's purpose in this affliction. Therefore the purpose is God's. Which means that Satan here is being used by God to accomplish his good purposes in Paul's life." (John Piper)

Blessings,
Lee

Lee, I have spoken to you for a while, do I really have to repeat myself? Right now we are talking about Job, I am simply trying to show you how you are taking things as bias. I used to believe like you do, and I changed. I hate myself for calling God the author of sin, and I covered my mouth, just like Job did.

It is the main thing that got me to change my views. The holy God of host, cannot be the author of sin. He relinquishes control to us, and can take it back if he wants, but out of love, will not.

You are still stretching all the verses in Job, even Elihu's verses. I do not mean you offense, even when I say you blaspheme. You are my brother in Christ, yet you call our lord the author of sin. Shouldn't that make you want to reconsider what you think?

I checked out your web page, and you have a lot of verses that would take me forever to nail down every one to suffice you because you do not want to consider other possibilities. I therefore am taking small steps with you, addressing what I think I can.

I have a lot of years of study. I have been of both views for a long time, a S.V.er for 13 years, an O.V.er for 7. As long as I could comprehend words I have studied the Bible and retain a lot. The verses you use were verses I used, and after considering the O.V. I was back and forth, and finally concluded the S.V. was incorrect.

You will never see that if you do not look beyond individual verses and consider context more than you do. Figure of speeches are in there, but not as often as the S.V. likes to think. But this is why I want to focus on Job with you.

You are doing the book injustice by not really reading it. It is a beautiful book. It is about people, like you and me, in a huge forum of words, debating God. None of them are right except one guy who the others consider to be unwise, then God steps in and tells them all who he is. Bottom line, God shows he is holy and just and shows Job he didn't do all this.

Please re-read it. Do not let a single verse stand out, let the entire thing stand out... where one verse is true, 100 are true times 100! Take them in.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
The reason things are open is God, His love, and His desire for our free choices.

Here are some passages from the Old Testament that show how much, even God did not know!

Genesis 6:6,7 And the LORD repented that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the LORD said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I repent that I have made them.”

Genesis 22:12 And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”

Exodus 16:4 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you. And the people shall go out and gather a certain quota every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in My law or not.

Exodus 32:7-14 And the LORD said to Moses, “Go, get down! For your people whom you brought out of the land of Egypt have corrupted themselves. 8 “They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them. They have made themselves a molded calf, and worshiped it and sacrificed to it, and said, ‘This is your god, O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt!’ ” 9 And the LORD said to Moses, “I have seen this people, and indeed it is a stiff-necked people! 10 “Now therefore, let Me alone, that My wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them. And I will make of you a great nation.” 11 Then Moses pleaded with the LORD his God, and said: “LORD, why does Your wrath burn hot against Your people whom You have brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12 “Why should the Egyptians speak, and say, ‘He brought them out to harm them, to kill them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your fierce wrath, and repent from this harm to Your people. 13 “Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants, to whom You swore by Your own self, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven; and all this land that I have spoken of I give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’ ” 14 So the LORD repented from the harm which He said He would do to His people.

Num 14:11-23 Then the LORD said to Moses: “How long will these people reject Me? And how long will they not believe Me, with all the signs which I have performed among them? 12 I will strike them with the pestilence and disinherit them, and I will make of you a nation greater and mightier than they.” 13 And Moses said to the LORD: “Then the Egyptians will hear it, for by Your might You brought these people up from among them, 14 and they will tell it to the inhabitants of this land. They have heard that You, LORD, are among these people; that You, LORD, are seen face to face and Your cloud stands above them, and You go before them in a pillar of cloud by day and in a pillar of fire by night. 15 Now if You kill these people as one man, then the nations which have heard of Your fame will speak, saying, 16 ‘Because the LORD was not able to bring this people to the land which He swore to give them, therefore He killed them in the wilderness.’ 17 And now, I pray, let the power of my LORD be great, just as You have spoken, saying, 18 ‘The LORD is longsuffering and abundant in mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression; but He by no means clears the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation.’ 19 Pardon the iniquity of this people, I pray, according to the greatness of Your mercy, just as You have forgiven this people, from Egypt even until now.” 20 Then the LORD said: “I have pardoned, according to your word; 21 but truly, as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD – 22 because all these men who have seen My glory and the signs which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have put Me to the test now these ten times, and have not heeded My voice, 23 they certainly shall not see the land of which I swore to their fathers, nor shall any of those who rejected Me see it.

Deut 8:2 And you shall remember that the LORD your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.

Deut 9:13,14 “Furthermore the LORD spoke to me, saying, ‘I have seen this people, and indeed they are a stiff-necked people. 14 ‘Let Me alone, that I may destroy them and blot out their name from under heaven; and I will make of you a nation mightier and greater than they.’”

Deut 9:18-20 “And I fell down before the LORD, as at the first, forty days and forty nights; I neither ate bread nor drank water, because of all your sin which you committed in doing wickedly in the sight of the LORD, to provoke Him to anger. 19 For I was afraid of the anger and hot displeasure with which the LORD was angry with you, to destroy you. But the LORD listened to me at that time also. 20 And the LORD was very angry with Aaron and would have destroyed him; so I prayed for Aaron also at the same time.”

Deut 13:1-3 “If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, 2 and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us go after other gods’ - which you have not known - ‘and let us serve them,’ 3 “you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the LORD your God is testing you to know whether you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.”

1 Sam 15:10-35 Now the word of the LORD came to Samuel, saying, 11 “I repent that I have set up Saul as king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments.” And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to the LORD all night. 12 So when Samuel rose early in the morning to meet Saul, it was told Samuel, saying, “Saul went to Carmel, and indeed, he set up a monument for himself; and he has gone on around, passed by, and gone down to Gilgal.” 13 Then Samuel went to Saul, and Saul said to him, “Blessed are you of the LORD! I have performed the commandment of the LORD.” 14 But Samuel said, “What then is this bleating of the sheep in my ears, and the lowing of the oxen which I hear?” 15 And Saul said, “They have brought them from the Amalekites; for the people spared the best of the sheep and the oxen, to sacrifice to the LORD your God; and the rest we have utterly destroyed.” 16 Then Samuel said to Saul, “Be quiet! And I will tell you what the LORD said to me last night.” And he said to him, “Speak on.” 17 So Samuel said, “When you were little in your own eyes, were you not head of the tribes of Israel? And did not the LORD anoint you king over Israel? 18 “Now the LORD sent you on a mission, and said, ‘Go, and utterly destroy the sinners, the Amalekites, and fight against them until they are consumed.’ 19 Why then did you not obey the voice of the LORD? Why did you swoop down on the spoil, and do evil in the sight of the LORD?” 20 And Saul said to Samuel, “But I have obeyed the voice of the LORD, and gone on the mission on which the LORD sent me, and brought back Agag king of Amalek; I have utterly destroyed the Amalekites. 21 “But the people took of the plunder, sheep and oxen, the best of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice to the LORD your God in Gilgal.” 22 Then Samuel said: “Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king.” 24 Then Saul said to Samuel, “I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice. 25 “Now therefore, please pardon my sin, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD.” 26 But Samuel said to Saul, “I will not return with you, for you have rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD has rejected you from being king over Israel.” 27 And as Samuel turned around to go away, Saul seized the edge of his robe, and it tore. 28 So Samuel said to him, “The LORD has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today, and has given it to a neighbor of yours, who is better than you. 29 “And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent. For He is not a man, that He should repent.” 30 Then he said, “I have sinned; yet honor me now, please, before the elders of my people and before Israel, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD your God.” 31 So Samuel turned back after Saul, and Saul worshiped the LORD. 32 Then Samuel said, “Bring Agag king of the Amalekites here to me.” So Agag came to him cautiously. And Agag said, “Surely the bitterness of death is past.” 33 But Samuel said, “As your sword has made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women.” And Samuel hacked Agag in pieces before the LORD in Gilgal. 34 Then Samuel went to Ramah, and Saul went up to his house at Gibeah of Saul. 35 And Samuel went no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul, and the LORD repented that He had made Saul king over Israel.

2 Sam 24:16 And when the angel stretched out His hand over Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented from the destruction, and said to the angel who was destroying the people, “It is enough; now restrain your hand.” And the angel of the LORD was by the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.

Jer 18:5-10 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: 6 “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?” says the LORD. “Look, as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! 7 “The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 “if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will repent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 “And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 “if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will repent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

sentientsynth

Bob Hill said:
Bob Hill responds: NO! You jump to an inaccurate conclusion, apparently because you want to.
Mr. Hill, I have not "jumped" one inch. Rather, I have come directly from your own statement. If I have reached an inaccurate conclusion, it's because you have given an inaccurate statement. Let's look at it again.

Originally Posted by Bob Hill
The Open View holds that God is omniscient, but because He gave us free will, the future doesn't exist to be known, unless God determined something would be done in the future.

So, Bob, either you need to take some courses in the English language, or you have given a false statement for the sole purpose of misdirection.

And you accuse me of reaching an inaccurate conclusion "because I want to"!?!

The inaccuracy is yours, and yours alone, Mr. Hill.

Bob Hill said:
The future that God determined would still be unknown to us unless God revealed it like He did in the book of Revelation.
Get it straight, Bob. God hasn't determined the future. He's simply determined what He may or may not due at some later date. These prophecies are just as conditional and provisional as the ones you and your faithful sheep tout out to demonstrate the idiocy of your demiurge, aren't they?

The future does not exist.
Then how does God know any portion of it?

Tell the truth, for once, Mr. Hill: it isn't that God knows one iota of the future, is it? He only knows His possible plans which may or may not occur at some later date. Isn't that right?

If it is to be known by us, God will tell us things about the future, but we only would know this future thing as God told us.
Actually, I'm somewhat of a future-reader myself. You see, last night, as I typed my response to you, I said to myself, "Bob isn't going to respond to one bit of this." Guess what? I was right.

Your statement

“this portion of the future ‘exists to be known’? This is the logical consequence of your statement.”

is wrong!
Then you ought to revise your statement, Mr. Hill. It is misleading. Is English your second language, by any chance?

That’s all!
How disappointing. :loser:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
themuzicman said:
Actually, we both take these things to be symbolic. A human with a literally dead spirit would be a physically dead human, as well. You already said that "spiritually dead" means "separation from God", and that is just as symbolic as what I've said. I can make all the same claims you have in this paragraph, right down to my position being a simple reading of Paul.
If a man is spiritually dead that does not mean that he is physically dead! If that were true then Adam would have been physically dead the moment he ate of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and Jesus would have physically died before He ever uttered the words, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?".

Spiritually death is merely a separation of that spirit from God. Satan is spiritually dead as are all the demons but they still exist and can still inhabit physical bodies.

Again, we both agree that "spiritually dead" is symbolic, so now we must try to make sense of it.
Spiritual death is NOT symbolic. The rest of your post is therefore irrelevant.

Frequently the context of a passage is helpful. In Galatians, Paul is dealing with the Judaizers, who claim that Jews and Gentiles must live by the Old Covenant to be saved, and Paul is demonstrating that one cannot live both by the law and in Christ:

14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, "If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how [is it that] you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews? 15 "We [are] Jews by nature and not sinners from among the Gentiles; 16 nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified. 17 "But if, while seeking to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have also been found sinners, is Christ then a minister of sin? May it never be! 18 "For if I rebuild what I have [once] destroyed, I prove myself to be a transgressor.​

Notice that Paul has neatly shown that Jews can not live as Old Covenant Jews and be saved, even if they believe in Christ, because they are trying to rebuild their own righteousness through the law, and demanding that Gentiles do the same!
:bang:

That IS NOT what Paul was saying here at all but I won't get into that with you here.

Then Paul says:

19 "For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God. 20 "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the [life] which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 "I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness [comes] through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.​

The point, here, isn't some kind of literal spiritual death, or even separation from God, but through our identification with Christ's death (as demonstrated in baptism, see Romans 6), we died to the law, and now live by faith in Christ. Neither were we literally crucified with Christ on the cross (indeed, we were not yet even born), neither does Christ literally live in every Christian in the world. These are clearly symbolic and the surrounding context give us the meaning of the symbolic language.
I agree that we were not literally crucified 2000 years before we existed but that does make these passages figurative it makes them spiritual. These passages are the very object of our faith as Christians. We are to "recon ourselves", as Paul put it, to be crucified with Christ and if crucified with Him then resurrected also. We are to recon these things true BY FAITH! This is the key to living the Christian life. Without it we will live with continuous and habitual sin until that our faith becomes sight.

It's the basic principle of context that you're missing. You're taking 19 and 20 out of the context of Galatians 2 (and the book as a whole), and trying to squeeze a meaning out of it, without considering Paul's intent for the passage.
I find this offensive and intentionally insulting. verses 19 and 20 are the context and I have done no squeezing at all. My position is simply the plain reading of the text. I don't care if you want to go through the entire book of Galatians verse by verse, my position will not be harmed one iota by a plain reading of every word Paul ever wrote. Any third grader could read Galatians and get out my position out it.

No, these verse don't contradict my position. I've both show that we both take these verses as symbolic, and demonstrated from the context what the symbolic language regarding being crucified with Christ and Christ living in us means.
You've done no such thing. You simply imposed a context that isn't there and called it the context of Galatians two. Suffice it to say that if the Jews could not live by the Old Testament law and be saved then no Jew prior to Paul was ever saved. That's idiotic and obviously false.

So, if we take the larger context of the passages you've cited, including the chapter and the theme of the book, these meanings become clearer.
This statement is true but in this case there is no need for reading anything more than what I quoted. The larger context does not deviate one whit from the simple plain reading of verses 19-20 of Galatians 2. It means precisely what it sounds like it means. If you are unclear about it, find a third grader and read it to him and then ask him what it means and he'll almost certainly get it right. It is not hard to understand nor is it at all cryptic or symbolic. The passage is speaking of spiritual truths - period.

Resting in Him,
Clete

sentientsynth

patman said:
Thanks for the negative rep and calling me "lame"!
Any time.

First time getting that, so apparently someone is taking me seriously.
Who? Not I.

If I took you seriously, I would have answered you so.
I'm sure.

You just like to throw your weight around, like your hero Hilston.
"Throw my weight around"? What weight? I don't have any "weight" on TOL. Your employer has weight because he can fire you. The President has weight because he's the Commander-in-Chief. You've given me some sort of "weight", but I'm not sure where it's derived from. But, as you've given it to me, I must be there, I guess. Thanks for the vote. :up: I''ll take it with the grain (tablespoon) of salt it deserves. :kiss: [Wait a minute, doesn't this prove that you haven't any clue what a figure of speech is? :think:]

Have fun calling God the author of sin, and good luck with that!
:devil:

themuzicman

Clete said:
If a man is spiritually dead that does not mean that he is physically dead! If that were true then Adam would have been physically dead the moment he ate of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and Jesus would have physically died before He ever uttered the words, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?".

Unless, of course, your interpretation is incorrect.

Spiritually death is merely a separation of that spirit from God. Satan is spiritually dead as are all the demons but they still exist and can still inhabit physical bodies.

Spiritual death is NOT symbolic. The rest of your post is therefore irrelevant.

Um... you first give a symbolic meaning for spiritual death.. and then you say it's not symbolic? That's incoherant.

That IS NOT what Paul was saying here at all but I won't get into that with you here.

Why?

I agree that we were not literally crucified 2000 years before we existed but that does make these passages figurative it makes them spiritual.

:bang: You first say taht we aren't literally crucified 2000 years before we existed, and then say that we are literally crucified, but in a spiritual sense. You keep contradicting yourself.

These passages are the very object of our faith as Christians. We are to "recon ourselves", as Paul put it, to be crucified with Christ and if crucified with Him then resurrected also. We are to recon these things true BY FAITH! This is the key to living the Christian life. Without it we will live with continuous and habitual sin until that our faith becomes sight.

More accurately, we are to identify ourselves with CHrist's death, burial and resurrection through baptism, as we see in Romans 6. Again, we're not referring to a literal crucifixion, which, as you've already shown, is incoherant.

I find this offensive and intentionally insulting. verses 19 and 20 are the context and I have done no squeezing at all. My position is simply the plain reading of the text. I don't care if you want to go through the entire book of Galatians verse by verse, my position will not be harmed one iota by a plain reading of every word Paul ever wrote. Any third grader could read Galatians and get out my position out it.

The problem is that your reading is that of a third grader, rather than an experienced theologian using a proper and conservative hermeneutic. You're taking these passages away from the larger context around it and insisting that it means something that, in context, simply cannot mean what Paul intended.

You've done no such thing. You simply imposed a context that isn't there and called it the context of Galatians two. Suffice it to say that if the Jews could not live by the Old Testament law and be saved then no Jew prior to Paul was ever saved. That's idiotic and obviously false.

Huh? I've not said that, and that isn't a logical conclusion from what I've said. Salvation has always been by faith apart from the law. When the people of Israel believed in God, they were saved, when they did not, they weren't. It was certainly possible to attempt to obey the law without putting your faith in God for salvation and ot put your faith in God for salvation without obeying the law, although the latter is for those who were not under the Old Covenant, such as Ninevah.

So, it's not obviously false.

In fact, there is nothing in the Old Covenant to suggest that it had anything to do with eternal salvation, and further biblical evidence suggests that it ultimately existed to produce the messiah.

This statement is true but in this case there is no need for reading anything more than what I quoted. The larger context does not deviate one whit from the simple plain reading of verses 19-20 of Galatians 2. It means precisely what it sounds like it means. If you are unclear about it, find a third grader and read it to him and then ask him what it means and he'll almost certainly get it right. It is not hard to understand nor is it at all cryptic or symbolic. The passage is speaking of spiritual truths - period.

Sorry, but this doesn't become true because of your declaration. I've presented a larger view of Galatians and the context in which we find these verses. Just beacuse you don't like it doesn't mean it's inaccurate. Maybe you should take a shot at showing an exegesis and biblical theology of Galatians that shows how your reading is accurate.

Muz

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
sentientsynth said:
godrulz, can you define what a figure of speech is, and what criteria one uses to determine them?
SS,

You have been pretty respectful since your return from your temporary banishment and so I am inclined to give you another chance and suspend entirely my boycott of threads in which you are active. If you can continue being respectful I would like to engage you on this issue of figures of speech.

A figure of speech is any use of a "word or phrase that departs from straightforward, literal language". source

There are many different types of figures of speech, probably the best treatment of which was done by E.W. Bullinger. Figures of Speech Used in the Bible

In regards to detecting them, that is a more difficult question to answer because there usually isn't anything in the text itself that let's you know that the word or phrase is being used in a figurative way. There are certain words that are almost always figurative such as the word "all" for example. It virtually never means "every single last one". It often means "most" or "some" and even "a few" and can even mean "just this single individual one". The only way to tell is by the context. Determining when a word or passage in the Bible is or is not a figure of speech and what it means if it is a figure is the work of hermeneutics.

If you've read Battle Royale X then you know that much of the debate over Open Theism revolves around figures of speech and whether certain passages are to be taken literally or as figurative. And, if you have read that debate, then you also know that the Open Theist's hermeneutical principles have a Biblical basis whereas the Settled View's has a philosophical basis. Open Theism's Biblical basis being that one's power and authority is founded upon one's righteousness, including God's (Psalms 89:14; 97:2) and the Settled View's basis being Aristotle's philosophy that the perfect is immutable.

Thus the Open Theist will interpret passages in such a way as to preserve His righteousness, justice and loving character (i.e. His qualitative attributes) over and above His power or sovereignty (i.e. His quantitative attributes) and the Settled Theist will interpret passages in such a way as to preserve His power and authority over and above His righteousness. This results in the Settled View theist accusing the Open View theist of having a weak and powerless God whereas the Open View accuses the Settled View of having an unjust God who is the author of sin, which you guys interestingly seem to no longer deny.

Does that answer your question?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Muz,

Is it your position that to speak about spiritual truths is to speak figuratively?

If not, then on what basis do you claim that Gal. 2:19-20 is figurative? What figure is being employed? What Biblical principle are you using to determine that it is a figure of speech? Based on that Biblical principle what does the figure mean?

In short, on what Biblical basis do you make the claim that Paul was saying anything at all other than that we have been crucified with Christ and the we no longer live but that He lives His life through us? I mean, I read that passage and think that it means EXACTLY that! It's obvious that he isn't talking about the physical because I, as you rightly pointed out, didn't exist 2000 years ago, but that doesn't mean that the passage is a figure of speech that means something other than what it sounds like it means. Paul is simply discussing spiritual matters. I, that is my flesh (the flesh being that spiritual tendency toward sin) have been crucified with Christ and He has made me a new creature which is alive to God (spiritually) IN CHRIST. I must recon these things to be true by faith. They are spiritual not symbolic of figurative.

Resting in Him,
Clete

patman

sentientsynth said:
"Throw my weight around"? What weight? I don't have any "weight" on TOL. Your employer has weight because he can fire you. The President has weight because he's the Commander-in-Chief. You've given me some sort of "weight", but I'm not sure where it's derived from. But, as you've given it to me, I must be there, I guess. Thanks for the vote. :up: I''ll take it with the grain (tablespoon) of salt it deserves. :kiss: [Wait a minute, doesn't this prove that you haven't any clue what a figure of speech is? :think:]

:devil:

Yeah, I thought you were going to teach me what it was. The last time I tried to engage in conversation with you you blew up just like that. Why bother with you other than show you your fault?

You are to edgy and need to top drinking so much caffeine, or whatever you are on, it makes you paranoid and unable to take a joke. Who cares if you thought it was funny or not, you just lash out.

But you are right, you have no figurative "weight" here. If you had, i might have answered you with an answer similar to Clete's. Have fun teaching him what a figure of speech is i guess...

P.S.

Clete, are you crazy?

themuzicman

Clete said:
Muz,

Is it your position that to speak about spiritual truths is to speak figuratively?

It is my position to speak about things that are clearly symbolic as symbolic. Spiritual truth is simply truth. There is no need to qualify it.

If not, then on what basis do you claim that Gal. 2:19-20 is figurative? What figure is being employed? What Biblical principle are you using to determine that it is a figure of speech? Based on that Biblical principle what does the figure mean?

In short, on what Biblical basis do you make the claim that Paul was saying anything at all other than that we have been crucified with Christ and the we no longer live but that He lives His life through us? I mean, I read that passage and think that it means EXACTLY that! It's obvious that he isn't talking about the physical because I, as you rightly pointed out, didn't exist 2000 years ago, but that doesn't mean that the passage is a figure of speech that means something other than what it sounds like it means. Paul is simply discussing spiritual matters. I, that is my flesh (the flesh being that spiritual tendency toward sin) have been crucified with Christ and He has made me a new creature which is alive to God (spiritually) IN CHRIST. I must recon these things to be true by faith. They are spiritual not symbolic of figurative.

Resting in Him,
Clete

You can keep restating that, but until you show that it fits into the larger context of Galatians (and no, your claiming that it does isn't enough), there isn't much more to say. I've already shown from the theme of Galatians, from the surrounding context, and from the obvious incoherance of taking being crucified with Chirst literally in any sense that your reading is incorrect.

I've already shown that this passage is speaking symbolically here:

me said:
Since Jesus Christ has a (risen) human nature, it simply isn't possible for Him toi LITERALLY live IN you, so the whole passage is clearly symbolic. Again, the law exposes those things that cause wrath, and faith in Christ brings out those things which portray Godly living.

Clearly Paul was not LITERALLY crucified with Christ, so, again, we have another symbolic meaning, whereby our lives, destined for death, were substituted (symbolically) for Christ's life on the cross, such that we ought to live Christlike lives now.

So, yes, this IS symbolic, albiet in a slightly different facet of this analogy.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1244461&postcount=4444

Now, I did notice that you're substituting "figurative" for "symbolic", which is troubling. Perhaps you could stick with what I've actually said.

All I can do now is to continue to point to the context of Galatians:

Galatians 3:1 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed [as] crucified? 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? 4 Did you suffer so many things in vain--if indeed it was in vain? 5 So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 6 Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying], "All the nations will be blessed in you." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer. 10 For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.​

Notice the continued contrast between law and faith, and that law brings death and cursing, but faith brings life. There is simply nothing here to suggest that Paul intends to say anything regarding what you claim he does.

Perhaps you could cite the surrounding context and show where I am wrong?

A third grader can read these things, too:

"He went and hanged himself" Matt 27:5, "he who has food should do likewise" Luke 3:11

But are they exegeted properly?

Muz

lee_merrill

patman said:
Right now we are talking about Job, I am simply trying to show you how you are taking things as bias.
And the way to do this would be to address my questions here, I would say.

The holy God of host, cannot be the author of sin. He relinquishes control to us, and can take it back if he wants, but out of love, will not.
So then God does not ever stop a rape or a murder?

You are still stretching all the verses in Job, even Elihu's verses.
Actually, Elihu clearly means (as in the verses quoted) that God struck Job.

The verses you use were verses I used, and after considering the O.V. I was back and forth, and finally concluded the S.V. was incorrect.
So then tell me how to interpret "the Lord took away" and "has the Lord not caused it?"

Figure of speeches are in there, but not as often as the S.V. likes to think.
However, you are the one saying "the Lord took away" is a figure of speech.

You are doing the book injustice by not really reading it. It is a beautiful book. ...
Please re-read it. Do not let a single verse stand out, let the entire thing stand out... where one verse is true, 100 are true times 100! Take them in.
I think we still need for you to tell me what the meaning of "all the trouble the Lord brought upon him" is, it can't be a meaningless phrase, I have given you my reading, now what do you hold that this phrase means?

How about if you don't let the verse "Satan went out and afflicted Job" stand out? And then we have my conclusion?

But no, we have to understand the verses, and not say that an overall meaning erases all other meanings in a passage, or a book. And the verses I refer to are quite clear, there really is no alternative interpretation.

Blessings,
Lee

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
themuzicman said:
It is my position to speak about things that are clearly symbolic as symbolic. Spiritual truth is simply truth. There is no need to qualify it.
This is not necessarily so. There are countless things that are true physically that are not true spiritually. The Newtonian laws, for example do not apply to things spiritual, they are nonetheless truth. There is no increase in entropy with God but entropy is inescapable in any physical system. God creates the physical out of nothing and that is possible precisely because the law of the conservation of matter and energy does not apply to God and that is true precisely because He is not physical.

You can keep restating that, but until you show that it fits into the larger context of Galatians (and no, your claiming that it does isn't enough), there isn't much more to say. I've already shown from the theme of Galatians, from the surrounding context, and from the obvious incoherence of taking being crucified with Christ literally in any sense that your reading is incorrect.
No that isn't the way it works Muz! If this is the way we interpreted the Bible then anything we wanted to believe could be found in the pages of the Bible. You are forcing the text to mean something other than what it says because your theology is in conflict with the plain reading of it. That's your problem not mine and I will not let you turn it into my problem by tacitly conceding the validity of this argument by engaging it on your terms. You will either give me a Biblical principle which demands that this passage be taken to mean something other than what it says or I will leave the plain meaning of it in tact and let it eat your theology for lunch.

I've already shown that this passage is speaking symbolically here:
You've not done any such thing Muz! All you done is stretched you same assumption across a whole chapter rather than confining that assumption to the last two verses. It is your assumption (i.e. your theology) that is rendering this passage symbolic not the context. The context is clear enough and I am content to let it speak for itself. I really don't care if you read just the last two verses, the whole chapter, the whole book or the whole of Paul's writings. The message is consistently the same and there is no need to take Gal. 2:20 as a figure of speech. It very simply is not a figure, it means exactly what it says and until you give me good reason to believe otherwise, the weight of the Scripture itself is its own best argument.

Now, I did notice that you're substituting "figurative" for "symbolic", which is troubling. Perhaps you could stick with what I've actually said.
If it is figurative then what does it mean?
If it is symbolic then what does it symbolize?
If you want to quibble about terms then fine but all of my questions are valid in either case. What Biblical principle are you employing to render Gal. 2:20 symbolic?

All I can do now is to continue to point to the context of Galatians:

Galatians 3:1 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed [as] crucified? 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? 4 Did you suffer so many things in vain--if indeed it was in vain? 5 So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 6 Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying], "All the nations will be blessed in you." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer. 10 For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.​
Thank you for arguing my side of the debate.

As I said, all you are doing is rending the entire chapter symbolic and then on that basis declaring verses 19 and 20 symbolic. It does not work that way. You have to have some reason for rending to the text in some way other than its plain meaning.

Notice the continued contrast between law and faith, and that law brings death and cursing, but faith brings life. There is simply nothing here to suggest that Paul intends to say anything regarding what you claim he does.
Does the law not bring SPRITUAL death just as did the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. I know that you deny that there is a connection but there very clearly is. The Law is nothing more than a continuation of the Tree's ministry; it is the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. The Law being nailed to the tree and Christ having died in our place on that tree is precisely what frees us from the requirement of the Law. But our flesh (that is our physical flesh) has not yet been redeemed and nor will this Earthly flesh ever be (1 Corinthians 15:50). Thus this truth MUST be a spiritual one because if this spiritual truth is not true now, then why are we free from the law now? You aren’t suggesting that we are going to one day be free from the law for righteousness sake are you? Surely not! We are righteous right now! But not in ourselves but IN CHRIST! Again, we to recon this to be true right now by faith. This is central to the whole of Paul’s entire message and ministry.

Perhaps you could cite the surrounding context and show where I am wrong?
JUST READ IT! Read as much of the chapter or book as you like; it means what it sound like it means. It is not symbolic or figurative it is merely spiritual rather than physical.

A third grader can read these things, too:

"He went and hanged himself" Matt 27:5, "he who has food should do likewise" Luke 3:11

But are they exegeted properly?

Muz
I would like for you to find any third grader in the world, including ones that attend public school that would read those two passages and take it to mean that they should hang themselves in order to be in compliance with Biblical teaching. Just one. Any one at all will do. Just give me their name and phone number so I can speak with them.

The point being that if there is no good reason to take a passage to mean something other than what it seems to say then to do otherwise is faulty exegesis. The first rule of Biblical hermeneutics is that the Bible means what it says. Wouldn't you agree?

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. My previous post to this one seems to me to be a bit overly harsh. It is not my intention to be insulting and so if I get over zealous in my argumentation please don't take it personally. I'll do my best to stay away from any terms of a person nature like “idiotic” or “stupidity” or the like. We can disagree on this point, even strongly so, without going to blows over it. :thumb:
God bless you!

Philetus

CLETE,
Thus the Open Theist will interpret passages in such a way as to preserve His righteousness, justice and loving character (i.e. His qualitative attributes) over and above His power or sovereignty (i.e. His quantitative attributes) and the Settled Theist will interpret passages in such a way as to preserve His power and authority over and above His righteousness. This results in the Settled View theist accusing the Open View theist of having a weak and powerless God whereas the Open View accuses the Settled View of having an unjust God who is the author of sin, which you guys interestingly seem to no longer deny.

:thumb:

Relationship!

Does being a glutton for punishment count as being crazy?

Rumor has it that it does here! :chuckle:

themuzicman

Clete said:
This is not necessarily so. There are countless things that are true physically that are not true spiritually. The Newtonian laws, for example do not apply to things spiritual, they are nonetheless truth. There is no increase in entropy with God but entropy is inescapable in any physical system. God creates the physical out of nothing and that is possible precisely because the law of the conservation of matter and energy does not apply to God and that is true precisely because He is not physical.

So, when you say "spiritual truth" you mean that it is true in the spiritual realm?

No that isn't the way it works Muz! If this is the way we interpreted the Bible then anything we wanted to believe could be found in the pages of the Bible. You are forcing the text to mean something other than what it says because your theology is in conflict with the plain reading of it.

Let's dispense of this right now. There is no scriptural basis for saying that spiritual death literally means separation from God. Neither does "spiritual death" literally mean "separation from God." "Spiritual", as you've said, would refer to a spirit. Death would have to mean "cease to function." There is simply no way that you can say with intellectual honesty that "separation from God" is a literal meaning for "spiritual death." None. Your continued assertion does not make it so.

As I said before, the spirit of man was breathed into Adam, and only after that happened did Adam come to life. Mankind is the only being that did not come to life by God's spoken word. We are kept alive by the spiritual life breathed into Adam and passed on to us. Had Adam spiritually died in a literal sense, then that which was keeping him physically alive would have ceased to function, and he would have physically died, too.

I know this shakes at the foundation of your theology, but you have to look at this from the point of view of the text of Genesis. The threat of death in Genesis 2 is literal physical death. There simply isn't any way around it. Did God break His word? No. If you read further in Genesis 3, you find that God bars the way to the Tree of Life, so that Adam will not live forever, but will literally and physically die.

That's your problem not mine and I will not let you turn it into my problem by tacitly conceding the validity of this argument by engaging it on your terms. You will either give me a Biblical principle which demands that this passage be taken to mean something other than what it says or I will leave the plain meaning of it in tact and let it eat your theology for lunch.

The biblical principle is right here in the text.

19 "For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God.​

This reflects the Pauline doctrine of our identification with CHrist's physical death being our separation from the law. In Romans, he uses the analogy of a woman bound to her husband as long as he is married:

Romans 7:2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.​

Thus, our identification with Christ's death frees us from the bonds of the law. Did Paul literally or symbolically die? In fact, it was Christ who literally died on our behalf, and so Paul's death, here, is symbolic of his identification with Christ's death.

Notice the close tie to Romans 6 in Gal 2:20-21:

1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with [Him] in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be [in the likeness] of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with [Him], in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for he who has died is freed from sin. 8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.

Notice that we are "united with Him in the LIKENESS OF HIS DEATH." Symbolically, united, not literally dying! How is this accomplished? Symbollically through baptism, which identifies us with His death, burial and resurrection, so that we might participate with Him in mastery over death in our resurrection!

Notice:

20 "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the [life] which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 "I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness [comes] through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."​

HOW has Paul been crucified with Christ? In Baptism, as he says in Romans 6, we are united in the likeness of His death, and, as we see in Romans 6, the life that Christ now lives, He lives to God, and, in the same way, being identified and united with Him (symbolically through baptism) in His death, our physical life is lived by faith in the Son of God, and not through the law (which is the problem the Galatians were having), or else CHrist died needlessly.

Paul speaks in these terms here because He is dealing with Jews who were insisting that you had to obey the Old Covenant in order to be saved, and is using symbolism the Galatians already understood, because they had been baptized and understood the symbolism found therein, having been taught as Paul wrote the Romans about the same subject.

Thus, the "principle" by which I interpret this as such is first and foremost the text of Galatians as context, the text of Genesis regarding the fall, and Pauline doctrine as expressed in His other writings.

You've not done any such thing Muz! All you done is stretched you same assumption across a whole chapter rather than confining that assumption to the last two verses. It is your assumption (i.e. your theology) that is rendering this passage symbolic not the context. The context is clear enough and I am content to let it speak for itself.

The problem is that you're incoherant as you do so.

I really don't care if you read just the last two verses, the whole chapter, the whole book or the whole of Paul's writings. The message is consistently the same and there is no need to take Gal. 2:20 as a figure of speech. It very simply is not a figure, it means exactly what it says and until you give me good reason to believe otherwise, the weight of the Scripture itself is its own best argument.

Let's see how you deal with Pauline thought as I've drawn it out for you. There IS a need to take Gal 2:20 as symbolic, because Paul takes this concept as symbolic in his other writings, namely Romans 6 and 7.

If it is figurative then what does it mean?
I don't use figurative.
If it is symbolic then what does it symbolize?
As Paul says: We are united with Him in the likeness of His death. Our crucifixion is symbolic of our identification with Christ's physical death in baptism, in which we idendify with his burial and resurrection. If this is a spiritual identification, then there is no physical burial nor physical resurrection, which presents a major problem in Pauline thought, namely 1 Cor 15.

If you want to quibble about terms then fine but all of my questions are valid in either case. What Biblical principle are you employing to render Gal. 2:20 symbolic?

Pauline doctrine.

Thank you for arguing my side of the debate.

There is nothing here about spiritual death.

As I said, all you are doing is rending the entire chapter symbolic and then on that basis declaring verses 19 and 20 symbolic. It does not work that way. You have to have some reason for rending to the text in some way other than its plain meaning.

Other than the fact that a literal reading doesn't make any sense? How about the reasoning that you're taking spiritual death as symbolic as well, just in a different way?

Does the law not bring SPRITUAL death just as did the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. I know that you deny that there is a connection but there very clearly is.

There is no such connection at all. THere is no sense in Genesis 1-3 that the death God spoke of was anything but physica. And, in fact, Adam did die.

The Law is nothing more than a continuation of the Tree's ministry; it is the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. The Law being nailed to the tree and Christ having died in our place on that tree is precisely what frees us from the requirement of the Law.

It did more than that.

But our flesh (that is our physical flesh) has not yet been redeemed and nor will this Earthly flesh ever be (1 Corinthians 15:50).

1 Cor 15:40 There are also heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is one, and the [glory] of the earthly is another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory. 42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable [body], it is raised an imperishable [body]; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual [body]. 45 So also it is written, "The first man, Adam, became a living soul." The last Adam [became] a life-giving spirit. 46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the spiritual. 47 The first man is from the earth, earthy; the second man is from heaven. 48 As is the earthy, so also are those who are earthy; and as is the heavenly, so also are those who are heavenly. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the earthy, we will also bear the image of the heavenly. 50 Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "Death is swallowed up in victory.​

Again, the context is going to bite you, here. Paul is referring to our transformation at the resurrection. He has drawn a contrast using flesh and spirit between our corrupted, sinful selves and our future, incorruptible selves. In fact, the phrase "flesh and blood" is specifically mentioned as "human nature" in the GNT dictionary. Again, Paul isn't speaking of this literal flesh and our literal blood, but that our broken nature, corrupted by the knowledge of Good and Evil, will be restored, and we will gain eternal life.

If we read verse 50 as you wish us to read it, then you're in danger of denying a physical, bodily resurrection, because our resurrected selves will be the same kind of physical flesh and blood as we have now! This is one of the major points of 1 Cor 15! If you don't believe in a physical, fleshly resurrection, then there is nothing to hope for!

1 Cor 15:12 Now if Christ is preached, that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; 14 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain. 15 Moreover we are even found [to be] false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised; 17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.​

Thus this truth MUST be a spiritual one because if this spiritual truth is not true now, then why are we free from the law now?

Because our bondage is to the law, not to the spirit. The tree only brought the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL, which means that we are bound to live by it, and death comes through the wrath of God in judgment for those who do NOT live by it! Bondage to the law is terminated in death, not established in it! we are freed from the law by identifying with Christ's death, as we saw in Romans!

You aren’t suggesting that we are going to one day be free from the law for righteousness sake are you? Surely not! We are righteous right now! But not in ourselves but IN CHRIST! Again, we to recon this to be true right now by faith. This is central to the whole of Paul’s entire message and ministry.

Yes, but we are freed because we identify with Christ's death, symbolically embracing His death in baptism, and likewise embracing his burial and resurrection in the same ritual. If we are not united with Him in the likeness of His death (Romans 6), then we are not free from the law, either.

None of this addresses any kind of literal spiritual death. Spiritual death refers to the wrath of eternal judgment which hangs over those who have not believed.

JUST READ IT! Read as much of the chapter or book as you like; it means what it sound like it means. It is not symbolic or figurative it is merely spiritual rather than physical.

Sorry, I don't just read two verses without reading the context with it. When you read them in context, and consider Pauline doctrine, you find a very different reading than one that doesn't consider proper hermeneutical principles.

I would like for you to find any third grader in the world, including ones that attend public school that would read those two passages and take it to mean that they should hang themselves in order to be in compliance with Biblical teaching. Just one. Any one at all will do. Just give me their name and phone number so I can speak with them.

I figured you'd miss the point. It was a good effort.

The point being that if there is no good reason to take a passage to mean something other than what it seems to say then to do otherwise is faulty exegesis. The first rule of Biblical hermeneutics is that the Bible means what it says. Wouldn't you agree?

If there was a sensibal, biblically sound basis for a plain reading, then you might have a point. But there is not. The fact is that you continue to harbor a symbolic meaning for "spiritual death", although you continue to be blind to it.

I think I've pretty clearly shown from Paul what he intends in this particular passage, both his purpose in writing it, and the basis for my understanding of it.

P.S. My previous post to this one seems to me to be a bit overly harsh. It is not my intention to be insulting and so if I get over zealous in my argumentation please don't take it personally. I'll do my best to stay away from any terms of a person nature like “idiotic” or “stupidity” or the like. We can disagree on this point, even strongly so, without going to blows over it. :thumb:
God bless you!

Emotions cloud us all at times. Consider our fellowship to be in tact, without slight, brother. I hope I have not offended you in any way soas to incur your response.

Muz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.