ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

patman

Bob Hill said:
Lee,

I'm really glad that I can agree with your choices.

Bob Hill

Bob, you agree that God authors, uses, and orchestrates sin to bring good?

I can go for God using sin(as in sin already committed by sinners), but not the other three choices.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
patman said:
Bob, you agree that God authors, uses, and orchestrates sin to bring good?

I can go for God using sin(as in sin already committed by sinners), but not the other three choices.

I also wonder, so I think the responses need clarification/qualification.

patman

Hi Lee, when you said "Yet we read, "The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away...", and "shall we receive good from the Lord, and not trouble?", and Job did not sin when he said this. Yet you say I sin when I say this," I asked you to fill in the blank for a question.

You said:

lee_merrill said:
I hold to all but C, in the sense that God is not the source of evil, though he does wield sinful Assyria like an ax, and he does take away when the Sabeans took away, and he did plan even the cross, and orchestrate, and cause, and use it...

Which amounts to:
God cause, uses, and orchestrates sin to bring good, but does not author sin.

I do not see a difference between author, orchestrate, and causing in context to the sentence above. I wonder how you can really say the three are different.

I did agree that you say he uses sin for good... as stated by me before, but only those sins already committed.

So now that we have estableshed where we both stand in short simple statements, let me now say that I was right in saying you sin in what you say above. But you do not sin by quoting the verse, "The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away...", and "shall we receive good from the Lord, and not trouble?", and Job did not sin when he said this."

The two statements are very different. God does give and he does take away. He does it in righteousness and justice. Job was right. And God does send trouble, Job was right again. He didn't sin when he said this. BUT he does not author, cause, or orchestrate trouble in the form of sin. EVER, this is what I have always said to you.

ApologeticJedi

So to be a Calvinist, one must believe that the only way to bring about good, is to cause sin? Isn't that a bit dumb? Can't you bring about good with (just for instance) more good? Heaven is supposed to be great, I wonder how much sin the Calvinist thinks must exist in heaven for it to be so great. :doh:

Some ideas are just too foolish to do anything but laugh at them.

sentientsynth

ApologeticJedi said:
So to be a Calvinist, one must believe that the only way to bring about good, is to cause sin? Isn't that a bit dumb? Can't you bring about good with (just for instance) more good? Heaven is supposed to be great, I wonder how much sin the Calvinist thinks must exist in heaven for it to be so great. :doh:

Some ideas are just too foolish to do anything but laugh at them.
All of your questions can be answered by........

*deleted for childish disrespect.

I'm sorry, y'all. I just couldn't help myself. You may return to your normal broadcast.

Last edited by a moderator:

lee_merrill

Hi Patman,

Lee: [Agreed] in the sense that God is not the source of evil, though he does wield sinful Assyria like an ax, and he does take away when the Sabeans took away, and he did plan even the cross, and orchestrate, and cause, and use it…

Patman: Which amounts to: God cause, uses, and orchestrates sin to bring good, but does not author sin.

I do not see a difference between author, orchestrate, and causing in context to the sentence above. I wonder how you can really say the three are different.
I tried to clarify what I meant by author by the above, as in God not being the source of sin, but acting so as to bring it about, as you can control a water hose, and still not be the source of the water.

I did agree that you say he uses sin for good... as stated by me before, but only those sins already committed.
Then did God not plan the cross?

The two statements are very different. God does give and he does take away. He does it in righteousness and justice. Job was right. And God does send trouble, Job was right again. He didn't sin when he said this. BUT he does not author, cause, or orchestrate trouble in the form of sin.
Yet Satan, did he not sin when he struck Job? Did the Sabeans not sin when they killed Job’s servants and stole from him?

Yet the Lord took away, which must refer to these events…

Did the Lord not wield Assyria? “When trouble comes to a city, has the Lord not caused it?”

Apologetic Jedi said:
So to be a Calvinist, one must believe that the only way to bring about good, is to cause sin?
No, of course not. But how can there be victory, if there is nothing to overcome? How can there be a reward, if there is nothing to reward?

Hebrews 11:35 Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection.

Blessings,
Lee

P.S. Shall we let Bob explain what he meant?

patman

lee_merrill said:
Hi Patman,

I tried to clarify what I meant by author by the above, as in God not being the source of sin, but acting so as to bring it about, as you can control a water hose, and still not be the source of the water.

Then did God not plan the cross?

Yet Satan, did he not sin when he struck Job? Did the Sabeans not sin when they killed Job’s servants and stole from him?

Yet the Lord took away, which must refer to these events…

Did the Lord not wield Assyria? “When trouble comes to a city, has the Lord not caused it?”

A sin is disobeying God, in it's simplest form..

Everything Satan does is not a sin. God did not command Satan to do what he did, nor did he tell him not to. Satan did not sin in this case. God was not the source nor the author of the things that happened to Job. Satan was.

God can decide who lives and who dies. If he gives that power to Assyria, they too are not sinning by executing their God given go-ahead, which was conceived out of justice.

As for the water-hose analogy.

Saying God is watering the world with evil, is evil.

enough said.

ApologeticJedi

lee_merrill said:
But how can there be victory, if there is nothing to overcome? How can there be a reward, if there is nothing to reward?

That's eastern mysthology, not Christianity. That's the ying-yang of Taoism.
Evil does not have to exist for good to exist.

dale

ApologeticJedi said:
That's eastern mysthology, not Christianity. That's the ying-yang of Taoism.
Evil does not have to exist for good to exist.
It is true that "Evil does not have to exist for good to exist." But, can man understand good without evil as a contrast? Stars shine just as bright during the day, but cannot be seen without the contrast of the night sky. It's about God showing man what good is.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
sentientsynth said:
All of your questions can be answered by........

*deleted for childish disrespect.

I'm sorry, y'all. I just couldn't help myself.

I suggest you try a little harder.

lee_merrill

patman said:
Everything Satan does is not a sin. God did not command Satan to do what he did...
Then trying to get Job to curse God was not a sin? No, "the devil has been sinning from the beginning" (1 John 3:8).

God can decide who lives and who dies. If he gives that power to Assyria, they too are not sinning by executing their God given go-ahead, which was conceived out of justice.
Why then did God say he would punish the Assyrians (Isa. 10:12), after he had completed his work with Judah through these Assyrians?

As for the water-hose analogy.

Saying God is watering the world with evil, is evil.
Then planning the cross, and bringing it about, was evil?

"They did what your power and will had decided beforehand should happen." (Acts 4:28)

Lee: But how can there be victory, if there is nothing to overcome? How can there be a reward, if there is nothing to reward?

AJ: That's eastern mythology...
So then there can be victory, with nothing to overcome, a reward, even if there is nothing to reward?

Blessings,
Lee

patman

sentientsynth said:
A bit touchy, aren't we Poly? Or, have I forgotten, you shalt not speak against the High Priest?

Please contribute to the discussion at hand?

Thank you.

I can't believe I am wasting my 513'th TOL post on this.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
sentientsynth said:
A bit touchy, aren't we Poly? Or, have I forgotten, you shalt not speak against the High Priest?

You're walking a fine line, SS. No matter how much Bob Hill might disagree with you, he's shown you and anybody else he's addressing nothing but respect. You owe him the same.

If you bring some sarcastic remark up like this again you'll be banned.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
WOW!!

I do believe that God causes sin to bring about good at times, even though the one who does the sin did not think the way God could manipulate it for good.

I also believe that God is orchestrating things, at times, even when the evil person doing it may only have his evil desire as the motivation.

I also believe God uses sin to bring about good, even though the evil person doing it is just trying to be evil.

As I pointed out 4296 & 4298, I do not believe God authors sin!!!! :devil:

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Bob Hill said:
WOW!!

I do believe that God causes sin to bring about good at times, even though the one who does the sin did not think the way God could manipulate it for good.

I also believe that God is orchestrating things, at times, even when the evil person doing it may only have his evil desire as the motivation.

I also believe God uses sin to bring about good, even though the evil person doing it is just trying to be evil.

As I pointed out 4296 & 4298, I do not believe God authors sin!!!! :devil:

In Christ,
Bob Hill
The way you have stated it above I couldn't agree more. :up:

I think the confusing came in because patman had proposed....
So let us set the record straight.

God ______________ sin to bring about good.

Fill in the blank with:

A. causes
B. is orchestrating
C. authors
D. uses

Now, for all the letters you didn't use, tell us why.
And you agreed with Lee when he said he would choose all but "C".

Which would mean you were agreeing with this...

A. God causes sin to bring about good.
B. God is orchestrating sin to bring about good.
D. God uses sin to bring about good.

Given those options I can only agree with "D".

Status
Not open for further replies.