ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philetus

II Timothy 2:17&18 :chuckle:

Still,
"God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth." vs 25

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Philetus said:

Perhaps the difficulty in grasping the concept that God can speak and the 'dead' hear Him, is due to the fact that the one contesting it has never experienced it.
Oh, is that what it means? Never heard of the concept before. Don't really care if I ever hear it again. Don't really care whether Lazarus literally 'heard the words'
Whether or not Lazarus literally 'heard the words' ... he got up.
:up:

Someone posted:

Take it from one named Philetus, you don't want to go there. :nono:

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
This is the post I was referring to:

Don't let him fool you Michael. What he's doing here is not significantly different than he's ever done, except that it's slightly more honest. What you've seen from Jim in these last several posts is all he's got. If he had more there's no way he could resist slamming us with it and he wouldn't have to resort to blatant misquotes to refute the points made against his pedantic ranting. It took me way too long to figure that out. He strung me along for literally years. Don't make the same mistake I did and think he's got anything of any real substance because he doesn't. All he knows how to do is ask one obscurant (to use one of his favorite words) question after another, and run you in circles until you are no longer discussing open theism but rather the definition of common words.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
We keep tabs of this kind of posts on our forum of biblicalanswers.com, but I like to be on th on line because there is more action.

Bob Hill

themuzicman

RobE said:
Ok. So you don't believe foreordination is a cause. If it's a non-sequitor, why do you have a problem with Calvinism?

I didn't say that.

In the case of Judas "arrange" would equal "prearrange" and is not an assumption on my part. Is God able to carry out His own plans and in this case cause(arrange, preorder) the events of Judas' betrayal?

Rob :angel:

Why would, in the case of Judas, "arrange" have te equal "prearrange"?

And why would God have to do cause it to happen?

Muz

RobE

themuzicman said:
Why would, in the case of Judas, "arrange" have te equal "prearrange"?

And why would God have to do cause it to happen?

Muz

Because the causes would have to preempt Judas' actions. Therefore, pre-arrange. Your the one saying God had to set it up. Read your own comments on Judas.

Rob

RobE

3) When asked how Jesus foreknew this you said, "I never said God was dumb. In fact, He's smart enough to bring about events in such a way that 11 of the 12 disciples become true to Him, and one of them, who was known from the beginning, betrays Him."
Here you said God arranged it(caused it)!

Your Answer : Arrange is a far cry from cause. They are not synonyms.

Main Entry: foreordain
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: doom
Synonyms: destinate, destine, fate, foredoom, foretell, prearrange, predestine, predetermine, predict, preordain, reserve
Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved

RobE

Final Reply to Michael regarding Judas.

Final Reply to Michael regarding Judas.

themuzicman said:
I think what I said is pretty clear, in spite of your attempts to twist it. I'll just leave it there.

Muz

3) When asked how Jesus foreknew this you said, "I never said God was dumb. In fact, He's smart enough to bring about events in such a way that 11 of the 12 disciples become true to Him, and one of them, who was known from the beginning, betrays Him."

Michael,

I appreciate you responding to every question I've asked over the last couple of weeks. When you made the underlined statement above you were being honest. I'm not sure what you claim I've twisted because it seems clear what you were saying.

Now, I invite you to sit down and decide why Judas betrayed Christ and how Christ knew Judas would betray Him.

You've answered honestly on this thread and I commend you for it. Your answers don't quite match up to your LFW position or the O.V. position.

I've learned from you and thanks for the discussion. Maybe we can find something else to discuss later.

:wave: No Duplicity,
Rob

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
:
Originally Posted by GerladVon

Looks to me like Hilston has tried to debate OVT by using the scriptures and sound logic. But how can he be expected to engage in debate when the peanut gallery would rather collectively point and sing the "nyah-nyah's"? I'd love to see some OV proponents step up to the plate and TAKE HIS "ASSERTIONS" TO THEIR LOGICAL CONCLUSIONS!!!

If he's just making noise then there should be nothing to fear. Does anyone from the Open Theism camp have the FAITH to step up?

GerladVon

Already did that. (If there's one that was missed, let me know.)

Besides, he's here to mock by his own admission. Why shoudl we take him seriously?

Michael

I am operating this way from now on.

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
At one time I actually held to the view that God knew all of the future until I realized that I had no biblical basis for believing that. I came to understand that the whole concept of God outside of time and seeing all things as an eternal now was from Greek philosophy and, in modern times, from the theory of relativity.

Now, I understand from the Bible that God can know the future. But the Bible shows us when He does. He determines it. When He determines it, He makes it happen. Therefore, He can know that it will happen, but that does not mean that He knows it because He looks into the future to know it.

The Hebrew word nacham, repent, is used in the Bible in reference to God over 20 times. The passage that really affected me greatly was found in Deuteronomy, but now, I prefer the passage in Exodus where it shows God repented of stated harm because of Moses’ prayer. Ex 32:9-14 And the LORD said to Moses, “I have seen this people, and indeed it is a stiff-necked people! 10 Now therefore, let Me alone, that My wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them. And I will make of you a great nation.” 11 Then Moses pleaded with the LORD his God, and said: “LORD, why does Your wrath burn hot against Your people whom You have brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians speak, and say, ‘He brought them out to harm them, to kill them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your fierce wrath, and repent from this harm to Your people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants, to whom You swore by Your own self, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven; and all this land that I have spoken of I give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’” 14 So the LORD repented from the harm which He said He would do to His people.

From this and many other passages with that Hebrew word relating to God, I have drawn this conclusion: If God was outside of time and saw all the future actions of men, God could never be wrong about predictions. I also believe: If the future actions of men are unknowable because they have not been decided, our all knowing God would not know them because they do not exist. None of them actually exist, so there is nothing to know.

When we read the Bible, God always exists in time. But, time is no restraint to Him like it is to us. We need to rest at times. But He doesn’t. We are growing old. He is always the same it that attribute. Most of us have deadlines to keep and other time responsibilities that are measured by time. With God, time is no burden. I see time as the measure between two events. Since God can control every event, if He so desires, time is never a burden to Him at all. He created the universe. We haven’t even seen the farthest galaxy in this tremendous universe. When God created it, it seems like it was instantaneous. Therefore, I do not believe the future exists until it actually happens.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

godrulz

Hall of Fame
drbrumley said:
Elected4Ever is my Dad.

Wow...you are not a chip off the old block? I commend you for following your own heart and head. Say hi to your dad. Despite our differences, I respect and value his heart and head for the kingdom. :cheers:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Dear God, I am an Open Theist. -- FrankiE

Dear FrankiE, I already knew that. -- God

Dear God, I could have been a Closed Theist. -- FrankiE

Dear FrankiE, Really? I didn't know that. -- God

themuzicman

Knight said:
God ordained that I hold the Open View. :D

I've always said that if I'm wrong, then God ordained that I would be wrong.

if the Calvinist is wrong, however, they got it wrong all by themselves.

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.