ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

themuzicman

RobE said:
If faith is the rope what is Grace?

The diver pulling you into the basket.

I said: Yet this would be cooperation. God wouldn't have ALL the glory in this scenario would He?

Michael: Why not? God's intent for creation is fulfilled. End of story. To God be the glory.​

Couldn't the same thing be said if God foreordained all of creation and every action?

Sure.

John 6:37All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.​

Draws or gives?

Ah, this section of scripture.

The "All" in "all tht the Father gives to me" is Neuter. Thus, we can better translate that "all things", or probably a reference to creation. The "whoever comes to me" is masculine, so, Jesus is making a differentiation between the "whoever" and "all things." The same thing happens in 39 and 40. "None" in verse 39 is also neuter, whereas "the one who believes" in verse 40 is masculine. So, we have this pattern repeated twice, and the will of God stated twice, once for creation, and onces for mankind.

John 6:64Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him.​

Known before?

From the beginning of calling his disciples?

John 6:70Then Jesus replied, "Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!" 71(He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)​

I wonder how Jesus foreknew this?

God knew what Satan had in mind, and knew what Judas was thinking.

So God chose those who would come and those who wouldn't by drawing or not drawing them.

Well, God chose who could come by drawing or not drawing them. John 6:44 only speaks of the ability of man to come.

Are you saying that God made Judas betray Him?

I'm saying that SATAN made Judas betray Him.

The Holy Scripture
John 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

Yet Open Theism/LFW doesn't allow God to know from the beginning that one was doomed to destruction, do they?

From the beginning of Jesus' ministry, sure.

Then why wasn't Judas drawn like the other apostles?

Because he was the one to betray Jesus.

So God fixed the game beforehand according to you.

Hardly. There were lots of people that weren't drawn during Christ's life, but they didn't betray Him.

Not really. It makes God responsible for the betrayal of Judas in your theology. That's why you reject foreknowledge---responsibility.

Hardly.

John 6:70 Then Jesus replied, "Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!" 71(He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)​

Was this before or after Jesus handed the bread to Judas?

Before (Didn't I already answer this post?)

Did the Devil make Judas do what Jesus foretold Judas would do,

or Did God arrange for Judas to betray Christ,

Judas did what he did when Satan entered him. Sounds like Satan's work.

or Did God simply foresee what Judas would do?

God saw the possibilities of the future, and they led to Judas betraying CHrist.

And your last response to these questions.........

...........Is this your final answer?

Why not?

Confused about answering again
Michael

Philetus

Quote: Originally Posted by Philetus
It is you who limit God and refuse to allow His glory to shine in the transformed lives of believers.

Hilston: How does God do that?
OK, forget the thimble of faith, just shoot for a mustard seed measure. That might be a stretch for you. God is big ... really big.
Quote:Originally Posted by Philetus
Your God is too small. Too limited.

Hilston: Strange. There is not a religion on the planet that sits in judgment of God the way Open Theists do. The God of Open Theism is finite, bound by time, bound by logic, bound by the wap and woof and whims and wills of sinful fallen men. The God of Scripture is infinite, without limitation, completely arbitrary, in absolute total meticulous and exhaustive control of all creation without exception.
Jim, that is simply not accurate. God is only ‘bound’ by his character and His choices that are always consistent with his character. He is freely-bound to His creation by His love, which is apparently higher, deeper, wider and greater than you can grasp. The God of Scripture is not limited by your definition of infinity. God is quite capable of creating and relating to his creatures. You not only belittle God, but also yourself and the image in which you were created.

Quote: Originally Posted by Philetus
Some things are just beyond you, Hilston.
Your posts seem to equate being ‘spiritually dead’ with total non-function instead of dis-function. God is able. If he can make himself heard by a four-day-dead guy, ...

Hilston: How did He do that, how did He make Lazarus hear if here was truly dead?

Have a little faith, Jim, and stop trying to handle the mystery. God is too big for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philetus
... surely he can make himself heard by those who have been blinded by the god of this age.

Hilston: Not only blind, but spiritually dead; spiritually incapable of responding to God.

God isn’t the only one who in your view is completely arbitrary, in absolute total meticulous and exhaustive control. In a very twisted way your view of God limits God in the worst way ever. You are the one who is saying God cannot create and relate and still be God.

Quote:
It’s not really that complicated, but, it does require a thimble of faith.

Hilston: Faith is not contrary to knowledge. This is a legitimate and answerable question: How does a dead man hear?

God is able, capable and competent. Occasionally God does the extraordinary from our perspective in order to increase our faith “cause his followers to believe in him.” It is a legitimate and reasonable answer, as far as walking on water and changing water into wine is reasonable. If your knowledge is wrong, you may find your faith in conflict.

The whole point of bringing up Lazarus (pun intended) was to show how absurd the question of how can a dead man hear. Have a little faith, Jim. God is able. If God can get Lazarus’ attention after days in the grave, He is certainly able to call men to life after years of sin in a corrupt and wretched world.

Hilston asked: What's the difference between the guy who doesn't take the rope and the one who does?

Quote:
He drowns.

Hilston: What is the difference that would make one choose to take the rope and the other not choose to take the rope?
Gee, Jim, lets see ... faith in the rope, faith in the one on the other end of the rope, maybe even desperation. I was in a situation once where I though I was going to die and just the sound of my rescuer coming gave me hope. I didn’t have to think twice about trusting him. Just the offer of life to a dead man gives hope and faith. I guess the one who refuses the rope would be a Calvinist, maybe.

Quote:
Not only does the God of the open future allow for people like Stalin and Bin Laden to exist, God’s future is not threatened by their existence even if they refuse His offer of salvation.

Hilston: Sure, you say that. But how can you know? God might be surprised by a turn of events He didn't see coming. Why does the Open Theist trust God? God can't even trust God, because He is in the dark.
God is faithful. Nothing in scripture even hints that God is not faithful. You misrepresent OT and God. God is light and in him is no darkness, not even a play of passing shadows. You dismiss much of scripture because you lack the faith to trust God who gives you the freedom to resist or accept his Holy Spirit. You reduce God to an untrustable God who creates beings to manipulate and control because he can’t even trust himself if any of those creatures choose not to respond to his mercy and grace. Your god is selfish, self centered and egoistical, not the revealed God and Father of Jesus Christ. Why would such a god as yours waste the time to come seeking to save those he had already written off before the very beginning of creation. You really need to rethink your position or at least give evidence that you rightly understand OVT.

Quote:
If your mocking OVT then you are neither accurate nor entertaining.
Hilston: It's both actually. It's more than that. It's instructive as well. For that I have plenty of proof.

A legend in your own mind, no doubt. After reading your first post, I honestly expected more.

Quote:
If you understand OVT then you know that it even allows for monstrous blowhards.

"Allows for?" God had no choice, not if He is living, loving, relational, personal, and good. It had to be this way. Do you see that? Your God is a prisoner of His own creation. Furthermore, what Open Theists blithely ignore is that such a God as the OV espouses is a Big Loser. Every day scores of people plunge into hell, and the OV God is unable to lift a finger to do anything about it. Is God doing everything He can to save as many people as possible? If so, then why do you pray? What are you asking God to do if He is already doing everything He can?

Yes, I see that, oh wise and instructional one entertaining and inaccurate in every way. As one so seeped in exhaustive foreknowledge and meticulous control you couldn’t possibly see it otherwise, I pray for you to come to the truth because in my view it remains a future possibility. Take the rope, Jim. God is so active in human history that your take on OVT is not even in the ball park. You are out in the parking lot selling trinkets for a team that isn’t even in the game any more. I can’t speak for all Open Theists, but knowing that people have a chance to hear and respond to God’s offer motivates me to be very active in doing the work of the kingdom. If I bought into your view I would agree ... why bother. Is God doing everything he can to save as many people as possible? Read the book, Jim. Then get you head out of your ..... other books and join me in the alley and you will be amazed to see God at work countering the misunderstanding people have of God as you present Him. YES, and Jesus still saves those who by faith take hold of the rope.

Quote:

“Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” Acts 2:40
Brilliant. Do you apply this to saving yourself from hell as well?
Quit playing games, Jim. Nothing like your misunderstanding of OVT insists.

Quote:
Hilston: The phrasing of this question suffices to demonstrate the misguided and distorted thinking that attends Unsettled Viewers. And quite frankly, it is wrong question. Here's the right question: Is the rescuer's effort alone sufficient to save a drowning man? The answer to this question will reveal what kind of Savior you believe in: (a) a Savior who could really say, "It is finished, or (b) a Savior who could only say, at best, "Let's see if this works."
That’s like saying once the rescue boat arives and throws out the rope they can leave the victim in the water with a rope saying, “well boys, we saved another one.”
Or (C) God who had finished his work in the flesh and provided the greatest gift available to humanity said, "it is Finished!"
You leave your god very few options, Jim.

Ode to Jimbo
High above the mucky-muck,
To you salvations just dumb luck.

Put that in your little poem book.
Philetus

RobE

John 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

Yet Open Theism/LFW doesn't allow God to know from the beginning that one was doomed to destruction, do they?

Michael said:
From the beginning of Jesus' ministry, sure.

Before Judas made the decision to be exact. Are you sure Open Theism's argument allows this?

John 6:70Then Jesus replied, "Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!" 71(He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him

Has it ever occured to any of you that Jesus said this prior to Judas making the decision?

Since this is your final answer: "God knew Satan's intent regarding Jesus, and Judas' belief regarding the Messiah (present knowledge), and all the possible courses of the future, which led to Judas' betrayal of Christ."

When asked why Judas was not drawn by God you said, "Because he was the one to betray Jesus."
Here you said that God was the cause!

When asked if God was the cause you said, "I'm saying that SATAN made Judas betray Him."
Here you said that Satan was the cause!

When asked how Jesus foreknew this you said, "I never said God was dumb. In fact, He's smart enough to bring about events in such a way that 11 of the 12 disciples become true to Him, and one of them, who was known from the beginning, betrays Him."
Here you said God arranged it(caused it)!

In our previous discussion you adamantly held to the notion there was absolutely NO cause for free will decisions!

Do you see why I'm asking what your answer is?

I'm asking again,
Rob

Last edited:

RobE

Clete said:
No one is debating what God is able to do, God can do all sorts of things. He could, for example, turn me into an automaton with no ability whatsoever do so anything other than what He has preprogrammed me to do. He could create a world in which no one could ever do anything contrary to that which would make life pleasant and blissful.

He could __________ (fill in the blank).

Let me see.......
1) Know my future free will actions.
2) Be able to do the impossible.
3) Be able to figure me out.

.......Nah, that's too hard!

Jovially Yours,
Rob

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Clete said:
Now, I will attempt this once again, only this time without as much detail. When I get home this evening, I am going to ask my 5 years old daughter to answer this exact same question and promise to report her answer here later tonight (assuming that I have the time to be online this evening).
Who would like to bet me that my daughter will not only give me a straight answer, but that it will be totally in line with not just the Biblical message (i.e. the gospel) but with open theism? (My daughter is five years old. She wouldn't know open theism from a recipe for apple cobbler.)

Let's say you are in need of rescue and are at the mercy of a king who has both the means and opportunity to rescue you and could justly choose to either do so or not. If the king decides that he is willing to rescue you from your certain death under certain conditions and then decides to open his mouth and communicate those conditions to you. Who gets credit for rescuing you if you decide to comply with the kings stated conditions which he came up with himself, without any input from you whatsoever?

For those of you who are interested, I did ask my daughter the above question and I'm happy to report that she understood the question completely, the first time I asked it and she immediately gave a two word answer...

"The king?"

I think she answered in the form of a question because the question was so simple that she thought I was trying to trick her. When I told her that I had asked the question to a grown man who was having difficulty with it she said...

"That's silly daddy! :chuckle: (She giggled.)"

And then she went back into the kitchen and continued trying to master the art of jumping rope. I really do think that she thought I was joking.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Hilston wrote: The phrasing of this question suffices to demonstrate the misguided and distorted thinking that attends Unsettled Viewers. And quite frankly, it is wrong question. Here's the right question: Is the rescuer's effort alone sufficient to save a drowning man? The answer to this question will reveal what kind of Savior you believe in: (a) a Savior who could really say, "It is finished, or (b) a Savior who could only say, at best, "Let's see if this works."

Clete said:
Further your so called "right question" isn't even on the same subject.
This statement is typical of the Open View's naivete and ignorance of the real issues of soteriology.

Clete said:
No one is debating what God is able to do, God can do all sorts of things. He could, for example, turn me into an automaton with no ability whatsoever do so anything other than what He has preprogrammed me to do.
No, He couldn't. This is one of the biggest inconsistencies promulgated Unsettled Theists. They say God could do anything He wanted, but by their own conception of Him, He cannot. He is constrained by transcendent overarching rules that govern Him. God cannot make Clete an automaton because that would violate His attributes as living, personal, good, relational and loving.

Clete said:
He could create a world in which no one could ever do anything contrary to that which would make life pleasant and blissful.
No He could not. That would violate the Enyarto-Hillian Open View's requirements that God place His so-called "qualitative" attributes over his "qualitative" attributes, to wit, the attributes of being relational, living, good, personal and loving.

Clete said:
He could do __________ (fill in the blank). The question isn't about what God could do, its about what He decided to actually do.
Wrong. According to Hillistic-Enyartistic Open Theists, His qualitative attributes (living, relational, loving, good and personal) take priority over His so-called "quantitative" attributes (omniscience, omnipresence, immutability, omnipotence and impassibility), and therefore God could not decide to do otherwise. He created the only possible world that a God of those priorities could create and has acted and done only what a God of those priorities could do. God is a slave. God is not free. God is in a box, bound by walls created by the Open Theist worldview.

Clete said:
Further, I happen to know for a fact that you know more about the open view than you pretend to know. I count your idiotic, "(b) a Savior who could only say, at best, "Let's see if this works.", as an outright lie. You know that we do not believe this and that it can in no way be made to fit into any open theist's worldview. It is an intentional misrepresentation, and is flatly a lie, whether I count it as such or not.
It is a perfectly consistent conclusion based on Enyartian_Hillism tenets that Unsettled Theists are too afraid to recognize. They plug their ears and hum; maybe it will go away.

Hilston wrote: Once again, the question itself reveals more than could any answer to that question. Working for a newspaper, I hear such stories all the time: One person helps another out of a life-death situation. The rescued person thanks the rescuer for saving her life. But the rescuer will also commend the rescued person for being strong-willed, tenacious, brave, courageous, etc. Both get credit. The rescuer's efforts alone were not sufficient; the rescuee had to cooperate and be brave and be strong etc., etc.

Clete said:
Notice again that Jim ignores the question and goes off on an unrelated tangent in an effort to avoid dealing with the principle conveyed in the analogy.
What principle is that? That we have to help Jesus save us, but we don't get any credit for it?

Clete said:
It. Is. An. Analogy! It is not meant to be perfect but only to attempt to show you the line of reasoning by displaying someone who is helpless being saved by someone else whom the victim has no ability to coerce.
Note that Clete doesn't know what helpless means.

Hilston wrote: Not at all! I know rock climbers. They brag all the time about how they grabbed this rope and that and prevented themselves from falling.
Clete said:
You're an idiot Jim. The analogy had nothing to do with rock climbers who saved themselves by their own power. The whole point, which is obvious to anyone who isn't trying to poke holes in the analogy, has to do with someone who is helplessly at the mercy of another who has the means to save them.
Once again, Clete defies language and betrays an ignorance of the word "helpless." And he calls me an idioit? And this from a man who cannot remember where he learned and practiced militant Calvinism? Neither Clete, nor any Open Theist, can rightly say, "I was saved by Christ alone." Rather, to be honest and consistent with their espoused theology, they must say, "I saved myself with the help of Christ."

Hilston wrote: It's only ridiculous in the Unsettled Theist's bizarro world in which one must pretend to be helpless just so God can get all the glory, when in reality, the Open View only thanks God for being a Rope Dangler. The rest is left up to you.
Clete said:
This is lie number two (in this portion of this post).
We're all convinced that Clete can count. What inquiring minds want to know is if Clete knows his shapes and colors, too.

Clete said:
This is the idiotic nonsense that you get when you take what is obviously only intended to be a very simple analogy and stretch it so far out of whack that no one can recognize it any more. Way to go Jim! You're excellent at refuting points that no one has made.
The best tactic to save face when a major chink in one's theology is exposed is to beg off and claim the opponent has refuted points that no one has made. I've shown repeatedly the logical conclusion of Open Theist tenets. Of course, Open Theists will disagree, because it would make them look ridiculous otherwise. I've presented their (il)logic in consistent and cogent terms. It's up to the reader to decide whether or not the assessment is compelling.

Hilston wrote: See how the Open Theist can't make up his mind what kind of God to believe in. Is this idea of a boat pilot who ignores drowning men the Open Theist's view of God? If not, then of what relevance is the statement? Could a living, personal, relational, good and loving boat pilot duly ignore a drowning man? Like a dog who wraps his chain around a tree and can't figure out why it keeps getting shorter, Open Theists get so twisted around their own arguments that the ability to reason gets farther and farther out of their reach.
Clete said:
God would have been perfectly within His rights to destroy Adam and Eve the moment the fruit from that tree touched their lips.
No, He wouldn't have. Not according to Hillism and Enyartology, because that would be omnipotence taking priority over God's attributes of being personal, loving, relational, living and good. And that will not do.

Clete said:
God is not good because He saves us.
No, according to the logical conclusions of Open Theism, God doesn't really save anyone. He just dangles a rope near them, hoping they'll grab it. God is helpless to save anyone, unless they decide to save themselves.

Clete said:
God was good long before He saved us and would have remained so had He decided that He wanted to display His glory in justly destroying the human race when Adam and Eve rebelled.
He could not have decided to destroy Adam and Eve because that would have violated His first-priority attributes.

Clete said:
He didn't offer salvation to Lucifer or any of the angels who fell that day, nor did He have to offer it to us. He did so because He wanted to not because He was compelled to do so by anything but His own will.
No, that's not correct. According to Enyartian Hillism, God had to offer salvation because of His first-priority attributes.

Clete said:
Had God decided to physically put Adam to death, Adam would not have been able to say to God, "Well God, you suck because the fact that you are loving means that I am entitled to be saved. You claim to be this perfectly loving God but refuse to save me and thus you are a liar and not worthy to be worshiped anyway!" That would not be a valid argument!
According to the logical progression of Hillian-Enyartism, Adam is not entitled to be saved (since, logically speaking, the OV God couldn't really save him anyway; Adam would have to want to be saved and do his part in the deal), but he is entitled to the offer of salvation, that is, if God is going to give priority to the "qualitative" attributes.

Clete said:
God decided to die for us BECAUSE He was/is loving, and would have remained so, had He decided otherwise.
No, according to TOL Open Theism, God could not have decided otherwise, lest He violate the aforementioned attributes.

Clete said:
God's love is not contingent on His having saved sinful mankind.
God doesn't really save anyone, so this statement is really non sequitur.

Clete said:
If it were then why isn't it contingent on His having saved the angels? Does God's decision concerning Lucifer's eternal damnation make Him less loving than He would have been had He devised a method by which he could have been saved along with mankind? Of course not!
The angels were not created in His image, so He doesn't have the relationship with them as He does with humanity.

Clete said:
Let's say you are in need of rescue and are at the mercy of a king who has both the means and opportunity to rescue you and could justly choose to either do so or not. If the king decides that he is willing to rescue you from your certain death under certain conditions and then decides to open his mouth and communicate those conditions to you. Who gets credit for rescuing you if you decide to comply with the kings stated conditions which he come up with himself without any input from you whatsoever?
This is desperation at its worst. The set-up is so obvious; it's an elephant in the room. The analogy is so blatantly disconnected from anything in scripture or in everyday life as to render it absolutely inane. No wonder a five-year-old thought it was silly. I thought it was silly, too ~ and it's obvious that she was still hung up on the convoluted pseudo-analogy; not the editorializing.

Consider if the man had said to his wife, much to her chagrin and consternation, "Honey, that king has gotten on my last nerve, and I'm tired of doing what he says." And then the king issued his command to the man: "Comply or die." Will the wife beg the king to spare him? Or will the wife beg the husband to comply? When the husband complies, will the wife thank the king for being merciful? Or will the wife thank the husband for complying?

Clete said:
Resting in Him, ...
How does an Open Theist say that? How does an Open Theist trust a God who is not sufficient to save him? How does an Open Theist trust God in any way, especially when God's hands are tied and is unable to do anything more than to go around dangling ropes in front of people, the vast majority of which want nothing to do with Him?

As sure as Kilamanjaro rises like an empress above the Serengeti,
Jim

sentientsynth

Hey Jim,

I dig your analogy. Seems to remind me of an Aesop fable, perhaps. maybe....

Hilston said:
Consider if the man had said to his wife, much to her chagrin and consternation, "Honey, that king has gotten on my last nerve, and I'm tired of doing what he says." And then the king issued his command to the man: "Comply or die." Will the wife beg the king to spare him? Or will the wife beg the husband to comply? When the husband complies, will the wife thank the king for being merciful? Or will the wife thank the husband for complying?

I'd say the wife would beg the husband to comply and then thank the King for being merciful. Yes, that seems good to me.

SS

seekinganswers

Has anyone seen my posts? Apparently my posts got submerged in this running debate between Clete and Hilston.

Why is it that people can only see two options in this entire debate? The options themselves are not what God has demonstrated to us. Clete's presentation of Open Theism is an analogy of God and humanity that is contingent upon a Modern perspective of Democracy, which becomes an anachronism when one tries to apply it to the scriptures. "Freedom" was never understood by those reading the scriptures (especially those close to the period in which they were written) in the way that Clete presents it. Nobody was "free" in the first century (and the Jews and the Christians had endured and would continue to endure many decades under the rule of opressive forces). When Jesus is revealed to us he does not become embodied in a reality foreign to the place into which he is born and lives and dies. Thus, the context of Jesus is the patronage system, and it is quite imposible to understand the "Open View" within this context. God is the Father of all, whose care sustains each and every one of us. The Creation is not free. All of the Creation is God's; and we as humans are only hired servants to care for that which is God's (for we ourselves are not even our own). The freedom we enjoy is the grace which we are given that we might share in the abundance of the Creation (share in what rightfully is God's). But if we do not give to the Creator what is due, we have no share in this great inheritance (which will go to the rightful heir, the Son).

HIlston's view is no better than Clete's (that is if Hilston is presenting a hyper-Calvinistic view). For the analogy of God used by such a view is that of a tyrant, or of the Empire with the Emperor as king and god. God's power, in this view, is in his ability to control the Creation, for if the Creation is "out of control" than God is not all-powerful (God is not God). This assumes a human perspective for God, where power is equated to coersive violence. The power of God is in his ability to destroy what he created (which I might add is the same view of power that is espoused by Clete and the Open view, they just push it off until the end; when God finally judges the earth, he will be coersive and violent, and will demonstrate his "true power").

Why can't anyone see the inherant similarity between the two views? They both assume that power is in the control of the Creation. When the Creation is submitted to God by force, then peace will reign. How can we assume that God will bring "peace" in the same way that we have attempted to do so through our own armies and shows of "strength" and "power"? Can't you see that coersion and violence are powers which submit the one who uses them to the Creation, for they are powers used by one who cannot themselves create, but who can only manipulate that which is, in order to make what is do what they want it to do. Coersion and violence are not power; they are weakness, for the ones using them are vulnerable to the that which they opress.

God is not powerful because God "controls" the Creation. God doesn't need to control the Creation, for God is the one who sustains it. If God were to remove Godself from the Creation the Creation would cease to be. For "by God and through God and unto God are all things, and in God they all hold together." This is true power! Not that God can take away life, but that God sustains life; true power is in the one who can create. For God even sustains the life of the wicked one! Even the rebellious cannot sustain themselves; their power is below God, who created them. And in the end, their rebellion will come against God like chaff against the wind, and their hollowness will sweep them away. Though God does not desire their destruction, their own sense of power will destroy them (just as the grabbing for power by the humans in the garden would lead to their return to the dust). Humans cannot sustain themselves! If they try, they are shown for what they really are: dust! And the life that they have, the life which is a gift from God, will return to God, and they will decend into the grave, returning to the dust from which they were drawn.

Humans are not "free," nor were they even meant for "freedom." Humans were made as servants of God, creatures in the image of their maker. When Jesus comes in human form, he comes as a slave (for by nature that is what we are as human beings). And that means the only authority we have is from God. We are people under authority, though we ourselves have servants under us, and in that much we ourselves have an authority of our own. But if our authority escapes the mandate of the one who is over us, we will have no authority at all. Our will becomes a parody of the will, for we desire what we cannot have, and in the grasping for what is not ours, we lose all that we think we have. Our supposed "freedom" becomes our slavery, and the source of our own destruction. "Whoever wishes to save his own life, will lose it. But whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. What profit is there in gaining the whole world, yet losing your very life?"

God has revealed Godself to us in Christ (for we ourselves have distorted the very image of God in which we were made, to be like God on our own terms, rather than imaging God in the way that God commanded us; thus it was necessary for us to have that image revealed to us again). And that revelation looks nothing like what Clete or Hilston have been purporting. God is neither the "represantative of the people (the great "relator")" nor is God the "all-controlling tyrant." God is the Creator, and there is no other analogy that we should look to before we see this one. It is the one analogy of God that pervades the scriptures. And if we do not see that Christ in his revelation to us is pointing us to the Creator, we have misunderstood Christ altogether.

Peace,
Michael

Philetus

seekinganswers,
Yes, I read them. Your posts get submerged in themselves by missing the point of the argument. You offer only dismissal of the contention between the two poles. How can one distort the image in which she was created without freedom to do so? The One who creates, sustains and redeems also shares, loves and befriends. Come down here in the “mucky-muck” (as Jim eloquently put it) and help us understand the intent of God who makes us free in Christ; free indeed. Tell us what it means to be a joint heir with Christ. Quit telling us we aren't. Your posts are so nebulous there is little to disagree or agree with. Explain how asphalt fits into the eternal plan and how it relates to the particular context of a first century Jew.

Having said that, when Jesus is revealed to us he does become embodied in a reality foreign to the place into which he was born and lived and died. That does not make His revelation inconsistent or irrelevant. The revelation of God in Christ is grounded in an historical context but is not limited to that context. OVT is not an analogy of God and humanity that is contingent upon a Modern perspective of Democracy. Get real. Either those Jesus set free were free indeed, or you are the one imposing your much learning on the clear teaching of scripture that it is for freedom that Christ has set us free. We aren’t discussing democratic free will or the libertarian freedom of democrats.

I did like your points on authority and true power. But, your applications do not address the issue at hand. The abuse of power and authority are possible in both an open and a closed future. If anything, the Open View recognizes abuse of authority and power as inappropriate even for God. Jesus illustrated it in refusing the crown of power.

I am somewhat aware of the developments in research in the ‘patronage system’ and Jesus having lived in it does not in any way negate the "Open View" within any context. That’s just nebulous vapors of nothing.

Peace and long suffering,
Philetus

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Jim,

Your last post (# 2172) typically ignores every point made. It was nothing but your insistence that I believe something entirely different than what I claim to believe. You respond to what you erroneously portray as open theism in spite of having an open theist say things completely to the contrary to what you claim open theism teaches! It makes one wonder if you actually believe that such a tactic will be persuasive. :kookoo:
Has it ever occurred to you that it is more likely that it is you, and not the open theist themselves, who misunderstands open theism? Your arrogance is completely off the charts.

While I don't speak for either Bob Enyart or Bob Hill, I'm certain that they would not disagree with anything I've said. Your silly appeals to a misunderstanding of their positions only demonstrates your inability to comprehend sound reason and clear teaching, or else demonstrates the extent to which you are willing to go in order to intentionally misrepresent the teachings of open theism. I can't say for certain which it is, but I suspect the latter because you're not stupid enough to realistically claim the former.

Much of your argument seems to be based on the idea that God cannot do anything contrary to His qualitative attributes. Bob Enyart never made any such argument in BR-X, nor does he believe that. He believes and teaches that God does that which is in the best interests of others because He chooses to do so, not because He cannot do otherwise.

At any rate, until such time as you respond to what I say that I believe, I will consider the points made in my last post to be conceded and the debate therefore won.

And finally, I love the fact that you refused to answer the question that my daughter answered in two seconds! That alone speaks louder against your convoluted doctrine than anything I could ever say. And Jim, it wasn't the question that my daughter found to be silly, it was your having difficulty giving a straight answer to it. :rotfl:

Thank you for being so predictably evasive! :BRAVO:
I literally would have bet my house that you weren't going to answer the question! You truly are your own worst enemy.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Philetus

One more for the road.
Resting in Him!
How does an Open Theist say that? How does an Open Theist trust a God who is not sufficient to save him? How does an Open Theist trust God in any way, especially when God's hands are tied and is unable to do anything more than to go around dangling ropes in front of people, the vast majority of which want nothing to do with Him?

As sure as Kilamanjaro rises like an empress above the Serengeti,
Jim

How could anyone not trust such a God? Jim, when I suggested you take hold of the rope, I was suggesting the rope the untied hands of God offers you. I guess you could perceive it as a noose and hang yourself and then blame God. But, that would be a distortion of the loving, faithful God revealed in Jesus Christ. Would it not? The 'vast majority' you refer to is the host of people who do not trust a God who hands some a noose and others a lifeline. I don't blame them. I blame you and your distorted view of God.

As surely as yeast rises in a Pharisee.
Resting in Him, too.
Philetus

seekinganswers

Philetus said:
seekinganswers,
Yes, I read them. Your posts get submerged in themselves by missing the point of the argument. You offer only dismissal of the contention between the two poles. How can one distort the image in which she was created without freedom to do so?

My contension in such language is that you would call such a movement of the "distortion of image" a "freedom of will." Freedom implies that one is not restained by something else. Freedom in the scriptures means a "loosening of the bonds of slavery." Nowhere in the scriptures will you find a discussion of the "freedom of the will." God desires no such thing for us. As I was illustrating in the previous post, our authority is only authority in as much as it is submitted to the one true authority. Will is authority in the scriptures (a power to move things in a certain way), so as soon as you talk about "freedom of will" you remove yourself from the scriptures and into a discussion of freedom that is very much grounded in Modernity with the idea of the "rational individual" being the center of the will. The reality is that there are much greater authorities to which the human will is submitted always (we are slaves of either sin or of God, and our will ends serving one or the other). We cannot bring about things for our own purposes. Our actions always serve another.

What I was trying to point out in the last post is that humanity only has will in as much as that will has been ordained by God (or in as much as the will/authority that God has given us has been twisted to serve another). Like the Centurion who has servants under him and who himself is under authority, we are masters of the Creation with a Master over us, and if we forget our Master, we no longer are masters of the Creation but distorters of it (and as members of that same Creation, distorters of ourselves). We do not have freedom of will. Our will is always submitted to another, and we always end up serving a master. When we serve God we participate in the sustaining life of God and share that life with the Creation; when we serve sin, we end up serving a distortion, which will attempt to bring the Creation to chaos, once again (though such forces only have a power to distort because they themselves are members of the Creation). Either way our will is not "free" by any stretch of the imagination. Our will is submitted to the authority who extends to us that will, and who drives that will to its own purposes. Of course the second is sustained through coersion and violence and leads to death, while the first is sustained in faithfulness, in love, and in hope which leads to life. So freedom is the difference between service and slavery, worship and bondage. And it is interesting how worship in the Hebrew and in the Greek is portrayed not as a "relationship" (i.e. friendship) but as service. 'eved means both servant and worshiper.

What drives me up a wall is that we will speak as though words do not matter. All that matters is what "I intended to say." This I know for a fact is a bold-faced lie, for I have seen many "interpretations" of the scriptures that had very good intentions, but were intentions that fell far short of the goal. It does matter how we talk about the scriptures; it does matter how we use the word "freedom." And when we use "freedom" to signify "choice" we use freedom in a way that it is never used in the scriptures. Freedom does not equal choice within the scriptures. Freedom is always about being freed (i.e. the loosening of the bonds of slavery, the shining of light into the darkness). Thus, when Paul states at the beginning of Gal. 5 that "it is for freedom that Christ has set us free," we cannot fill those words with whatever content we desire to pour into them. We must go on to read, "stand firm, then, and do not become burdened again by a yolk of slavery." It isn't for "choice" that Christ has set us free, it is for emancipation. And Paul's freedom can still be defined as, "I am crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live, but Christ within me. The life I live in the flesh I live by faithfulness rendered to the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Philetus said:
The One who creates, sustains and redeems also shares, loves and befriends. Come down here in the “mucky-muck” (as Jim eloquently put it) and help us understand the intent of God who makes us free in Christ; free indeed. Tell us what it means to be a joint heir with Christ. Quit telling us we aren't. Your posts are so nebulous there is little to disagree or agree with. Explain how asphalt fits into the eternal plan and how it relates to the particular context of a first century Jew.

Why is it that you have to put the characteristics in oposition to one another? How is it that God as Creator is not loving in the very act of the Creation? Can God not enwrap the Creation up in God's own self, and by creating and sustaining the Creation, bring it into the very love that is God (Father, Son, and Spirit)? You assume the Trinity only in redemption. I assume Trinity from the very beginning (as does the early church). So God isn't "creative" and loving; God demonstrates love in the act of Creation. Creative and loving "qualities" of God are not distinct but intertwined. And why is it that God in the establishment of his people has not befriended them? Why is "friendliness" understood only in our conceptualization of "relationship" as defined in "redemption"? What is redemption for you, because I don't even understand how you even are redeemed from anything other than guilt? You call me out of the "muchy-muck" that is the "nebulous" of my words, how about you come out of the clouds, the neoplatonic-idealism that sees the inward "soul" (whatever that is) of a person as being more real than their actual body? You want to talk about practics? How about we talk about the church instead of the "personal relationship" that an individual supposedly shares with God in their inward self, through personal piety and devotion? Show me one place where Paul speaks to individuals that they should "pray" and persue "personal piety" in order to be better "related" to God, over their participation as members of one Body in the Church? You won't find it, because the locus of God's work in this world, for Paul, is not found in the individual but within the ekklesia, that is the people whom God has called out of this world to live faithfully within it, both Jews and Greeks. The power of God is not in his ability to bring "inward transformation" and "personal relationship;" no, the goodnews that is the gospel proclaims that now God has entered into this world so that we can truthfully say that "the world in its present form is passing away," and "Behold, all things have become new!!" The Open Theists don't really grasp the amazingness of the gospel, because the apocolyptic (revelatory) act of God in Christ has done much more than bring a few "willing individuals" into relationship with him; no, the act of God in Christ is that God has entered this world and is making it new. The old order is waning, while the new order is waxing full!!

Philetus said:
Having said that, when Jesus is revealed to us he does become embodied in a reality foreign to the place into which he was born and lived and died. That does not make His revelation inconsistent or irrelevant. The revelation of God in Christ is grounded in an historical context but is not limited to that context. OVT is not an analogy of God and humanity that is contingent upon a Modern perspective of Democracy. Get real. Either those Jesus set free were free indeed, or you are the one imposing your much learning on the clear teaching of scripture that it is for freedom that Christ has set us free. We aren’t discussing democratic free will or the libertarian freedom of democrats.

You are wrong about the historical context. God continues to work in the very embodied life that continues down to us from Christ to the present age. The Church (the Body of Christ) in this world is the continued result of that apocalyptic act of God wrought in Christ. Those who continue to gather in this world and live faithfully with "Christ as Lord" are the ones in whom God continues to work (by God's Spirit). And the Church is not being destroyed, but is being purified and sanctified in suffering for the Day of the Lord. "Relationship" is not the result of God's redemptive act (for we never ceased to be related to God as God's Creation); redemption is about being drawn into Christ's Body as a member and continuing to witness to the apocalypse (revelation) of God in Christ. Revelation is not a future thing (when God's apocalypse will finally come). No, the light has already entered into this world, and now this world (which is no longer embodied in the old way of things, but in the ekklesia) is now being purified in suffering as it awaits the second coming of its Lord.

You have taken up a Modern view of things, Philetus, because you have been deceived into thinking that this age in its present form has not been transformed in Christ so that it is passing away. You have failed to see that in the ekklesia there is a real transformation that has taken place so that the church is the center for God's action in this world, the church really is a "new Creation" (not the internal invisible self of the individual). And this is not like Chrisendom, which no longer waits for the coming of Christ (because it has grown impatient). No, this is the church that continues to perservere in the midst of trials and persecution.

Philetus said:
I did like your points on authority and true power. But, your applications do not address the issue at hand. The abuse of power and authority are possible in both an open and a closed future. If anything, the Open View recognizes abuse of authority and power as inappropriate even for God. Jesus illustrated it in refusing the crown of power.

But what I am trying to say is that when God is defined as the Creator, God's power is always true, and cannot be distorted, for there is nothing that threatens God. God does not act in a way as though the Creation offered entertainment for God, or as though it offered love. No, the Creation as that which has been created by God can offer nothing to God that is not already God's. The Creation is entirely sustained in God, so that nothing it has to offer is desirable for God. God does not covet anything within the Creation, for God is the very fullness of the Creation, and the Creation is brought into God through the Father, Son, and Spirit. And ultimately there is nothing within the Creation that is not already God's (that is not already sustained by God). So, God can't act coersively within the Creation not because of God's nature as "loving" or "relational" but because God is the Creator, and there is nothing that the Creation can offer to God or threaten God with that is of any substance. God is love, because in God we discover what love truly is, "in that while we were sinners (a void), Christ died for us."

Peace,
Michael

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Godrulz said:
I would suggest you are misrepresenting Arminianism or Open Theism.
Of course you would. Open Theists refuse to take their doctrine to the logical conclusion.

Godrulz said:
The Spirit alone saves and regenerates. We cannot save or regenerate ourselves.
Sure you can! It all depends on you, GR. Without you, the Spirit is insufficient. Without you, Jesus’ work is insufficient. God didn’t do enough. You have to add your own work to it. Give yourself some credit. You did it man! Good job!

Godrulz said:
God initiates and provides salvation.
Not really. On the Open View, God only makes it available. You have to save yourself..

Godrulz said:
The grounds (reason by which; objective provision) of salvation are grace and the person and work of Christ. The conditions (not without which) of salvation (subjective appropriation) are repentant faith and continuance in the faith.
See what I mean? The grace, person and work of Christ are not enough.

Godrulz said:
A condition is not a work, but a response and reception of what God has done (Jn. 1:12; 3:16, 36; 14:6; Acts 4:12; Rom. 10:9, 10, I Jn. 5:11-13, etc.).
Don’t sell yourself short, GR! It’s not easy to receive that which is contrary to one’s nature. You had to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and believe. That’s tough work. You had to submit to God’s law. That’s amazingly hard work for a sinner. Romans 8:7 says it is impossible. So whatever you did, Godrulz, it was amazingly brilliant for you to completely override Paul’s statement. Good job! Way to go! Kudos, dude! You da man!

Godrulz said:
Repentant faith is man's response to the conviction and convincing of the Spirit. He commands all men everywhere to repent and believe. This would be unreasonable if it was impossible for man to respond to the drawing, persuading, wooing of the Spirit.
Not at all. God issues commands that He knows cannot be obeyed. That is why He made provision for the elect who fail. That is why the Holy Spirit prays for the elect. That is why we must work out our salvation with fear and trembling, knowing that consistent and pure obedience is impossible, even though God demands it.

Godrulz said:
Total depravity does not mean total inability.
It means a total inability to justify oneself before God.

Godrulz said:
Reciprocal love relationships are not coerced nor caused.
Coerce is a strong word. No one is coerced to love. But love is certainly caused. Give me an example in which love was not caused.

Godrulz said:
They must be freely entered into and maintained. Since God provides and initiates, salvation is not of man.
You’re cheating yourself again, GR. God might provide it and initiate in general, but it you who finishes it, makes it specific and brings it to fruition. YOU make it a reality, GR! Awesome job! You rock, holmes!

Godrulz said:
We are the other party in reconciliation, so our will and intellect is involved. God gets the glory, but we are morally culpable/responsible/accountable if we reject Christ vs receive Him.
Why should God get all the glory? What about everything YOU did? Is it chopped liver? Talk about unfair! Have you complained to God about this?

Godrulz said:
TULIP is a deductive philosophy that is not inherent in Scripture (without proof texting).
Rats! You beat me to it. I was just going to say the same thing about Open Theism.

Godrulz said:
The historical narrative about Lazarus relates to Christ being the resurrection and the life. It is not a didactic passage about the nature of salvation. To make it so is eisegesis or sloppy exegesis.
OK, you’ve got me convinced. Spiritual reality is all bunk, right? Who cares what Jesus can do in the spiritual realm, in man’s true essence and nature. When Jesus told Nicodemus about being born again, that must’ve had to do with physical birth only. None of the spiritual stuff matters compared to being able to walk around on earth and to breathe air into one’s lungs. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

Godrulz said:
Death is separation, not annihilation or non-existence.
Separation from what?

Godrulz said:
Study all uses of death. We have spiritually dead people who are alive; physically dead people who are alive, etc. You are pressing analogies with a wooden literalism. cf. born again is a metaphor for salvation.
No, this can’t be right. Have you so soon forgotten what you taught me above? From what you said above, this is all about going back into the womb and popping into the world again. This has nothing to do with spiritual issues, right?

Godrulz said:
..it is not identical to physical birth...so Calvinists who use it to argue to their doctrines with a wooden literalism go beyond the context or intent of Jesus.
Wait a second. You’re the one telling me that I can’t view Lazarus’ resurrection as anything but physical. Make up your mind, G.

Godrulz said:
I support biblical, 'weak' immutability: God changes in some ways (relations, experiences, thoughts, actions, incarnation, etc.), but does not change in other ways (essential character and attributes).
Calvin and Augustine agree with you. Have you read them? Perhaps you would enjoy what they have to say about immutability. [You might want to steer clear of The Bobs’ (Enyart & Hill) treatment of it; those guys are worse than journalists].

Godrulz said:
If Christ's work is finished, and we all agree that it is, they why is not everyone saved?
Let’s see: Christ said that everyone the Father gives to Him will come to Him. He also said that it was the will and purpose of the Father that everyone given Him He would not lose; not a single one (John 6:37-40). Yet, there are certainly people who are lost and never saved. What does that suggest to you? One of two things: Either the Father did not give everyone to Jesus, or God is a Big Loser.

Godrulz said:
We are suggesting why not everyone is saved. Are you going to pin the culpability on God's sovereign, hidden will where He supposedly elects some, but damns others that He could save if He wanted to?
Did you say “culpability”? God cannot be culpable. It is impossible. Well, except in the Open View, in which God is subject to some transcendent overarching authority that holds Him responsible.

Godrulz said:
God's love is not arbitrary. It is impartial. Individual salvation or damnation was not decreed before creation.
For this dispensation, it certainly was. God foreordained, not only who would comprise the Body of Christ, but also the very works that its members would do (Eph 2:10). God’s love is totally arbitrary. And He shows partiality to those for whom Christ died, not on men’s own merits, but on Christ’s alone.

Godrulz said:
The God of Open Theism is infinite.
That is inconsistent with the humanism of the Open View.

Godrulz said:
The god of process thought is finite. Straw man caricature and lack of understanding of the Open view.
My understanding grows with every post that lands in this thread. No one has said a thing that suggests to me that I don’t understand it.

Godrulz said:
The God of Calvinism is responsible for heinous evil and the damnation of the masses that He could save if He wanted to.
There you go again. You can’t use the word “responsible” for an infinite being. It is impossible. On the Open View you can, but not on the Calvinistic view.

Godrulz said:
His love is limited. He is not impartial, but arbitrary (I cannot believe you ascribe this to God).
Look up the word. It is a glorious word when applied to God.

Godrulz said:
God knows the past and present exhaustively.
Not according to the Open View. Enyart says that God doesn’t have to know what’s going on in the back of a homo bar if He doesn’t want to. That means He does not have exhaustive knowledge, past or present. Now that we have Google, however, God probably has access to more knowledge than ever. Wonder what kind of information He searches for the most?

Godrulz said:
He settles some but not all of the future. He can also predict much of the future.
Then God is a Bigger Loser than anyone can imagine. The fact that He continues to let this world exist, with scores of people plummeting to hell on a daily basis. He doesn’t know this is going on? If He is a good predictor, He knows, and He should cut His losses and end it all. But He doesn’t. Is that a loving, living, good, personal and relational God? Hardly.

Godrulz said:
Regardless, He is omnicompetent.
Except when it comes to accounting. He’s pretty bad at that, on the Open View anyway.

Godrulz said:
Due to His great ability (exhaustive foreknowledge is precluded in the type of creation He sovereignly chose= freedom/significant others), He is fully trustworthy.
He loses daily! How can you trust Him? He probably hasn’t had a winning season since the opening chapters of Acts. Why do you trust Him? Give me one reason why you personally trust Him.

Godrulz said:
He can and does intervene as much as necessary.
Is God doing everything He can right this moment to save as many people as possible?

Godrulz said:
Making me eat toast instead of cereal is not something He micromanages nor does it affect His overall plans and purposes.
A God who is as Big a Loser as the Open Theist God shouldn’t be allowed to micromanage anything.

Godrulz said:
Your view of God also has the problem of scores of people in hell.
Not at all. My view of God sees Him as completely successful in saving every single person for whom He sent His Son to die.

Godrulz said:
At least we blame Hitler, not God for his joining the devil's losing team.
The devil isn’t losing, according to the Open View’s claims. The devil wins big every day. Does God value souls or not? If He does, He should end this all right now, because if He doesn’t Satan will have more souls at the end of the day than God does. (On the Open View, anyway).
Harmful or fatal is swallowed,
Jim

Philetus

Seekinganswers,

Is there a choice to be made as to who or what we serve? And who makes that choice and when? You cannot avoid the question by simply dismissing it. Freedom to choose your master is freedom no less and limiting choice to two fractions does not eliminate it. Call it ‘limited authority to disobey’ or anything you like. It remains that God’s created beings distort His image by trashing themselves and God either allows it or causes it. Whether we live in the first century or the twenty-first, with or without the influence of Augustine or Plato, the issue is real. God either causes or allows sin.

No one is suggesting that ‘freedom of will’ transcends God’s sovereignty. Of course it is only as God ordains. And yes, exercising that limited authority contrary to God’s intended purposes for all creation is bad. It is sin. Recognizing our limitations as humans does not satisfy the question. Open theists do not besmirch the character of God by suggesting we can save our selves independently. We are masters of Creation with liberty to name its animals but without freedom to serve our Master? Hog wash! We can cut down too many trees in the forest and pave a parking lot, but cannot with the aid of the Holy Spirit choose to serve the Creator? We can harness the energy of the atom but cannot recognize the potential for either good or harm? In all we do, it is up to us to decide who we serve! If that isn’t freedom of will, however limited, tell me what it is. I agree that true freedom is service as Paul points out in Romans 12. Being set free to worship God by offering ourselves in reasonable service is freedom. I’ve got a relationship with God in Christ that I did not have before the Holy Spirit convicted me of sin and I repented. You can call it what you want. I call it reconciliation between two parties with previously differing wills. Now we work together where before I worked in opposition. God really doesn’t need my help, doesn’t treat me like a servant either … He calls me son. If you are jealous … take it up with your Father. I’m enjoying the working relationship.

Words matter! You might want to read more carefully. But, words are not enough. You make too much of it. You seem to be hung up on or driven up the wall by words. Get past the words and live. In your eagerness to return to a pre-modern world view, don’t trash the relationships others are enjoying. I did not place the characteristics of God in opposition to one another. You make a big leap of assumptions. I didn’t call you out of the mucky-muck … I invited you into it. Again as Clete has pointed out, you avoid the question and go off on so many tangents it is unreal. You have been drinking too much home brewed neopla-tionic and keep accusing everybody else of it.

You have no idea as to my views about the incarnation and the embodiment of Christ in the Church. My relationship with God finds expression in the alley (the mucky-muck) where I both experience and represent Jesus. Of all people you cannot accuse me of reducing salvation to personal piety or an exclusively individualistic relationship. I am so far from that it isn’t even in my thinking. You assume way too much. I am crucified with Christ, and the life I continue living in the flesh (and in the world) is a testimony to the fact that the eschatological statement of Christ (which he says he will make in the future) “I was” is a present reality “I am”. This Open Theist grasps the amazingness of the gospel and sees Jesus in the hungry, the poor and the naked as much as in the gathering of servants in his name. I experience Jesus in the wretched of the earth, who are finding out through proclamation and witness that God is present seeing to their every need. Don’t make me a target for your war on evangelicalism. You will miss the mark!

The relationship I speak of is first and foremost one of experiencing Jesus in the world. In the mucky-muck that is passing away as creatures made new experience the present reality of God in Christ. It has been so long since I saw a stained glass window from inside a sanctuary that I would forget what one looked like were it not for your avatar. The fellowship I enjoy is among believers who are still in the world as the body of Christ merely informing others in word and deed by extending God’s salvation hospitality in Christ. Open View Theists enjoy a freedom that you do not even understand when you limit the view to a single question and assume we have no experience that validates our position. The new order is apparently waxing fuller than you are aware.

I’m not wrong about the historical context. You are wrong in your assumptions about me. The church is present … even in the post modern world … and it still has a head … and every member has a relationship to that head and through that head to every other member. Redemption is about being added to the body as members in particular.

Don’t lecture an Open Theist about the present reality of the rule of God in Christ.
I live in the modern world, the present, and in the reality of Christ. It is here and now that the truth of God rings clear. The evidence is all around. I don’t know who your beef is with but you are missing your target by a million miles with me. I’m not into churchianity. I am one in the world sharing in the suffering of Christ for the world in growing conformity with his death, experiencing the power of His resurrection with others being changed into his likeness in all the freedom of Christ …. Today!
To God be all the glory!
Philetus

seekinganswers

Philetus said:
Is there a choice to be made as to who or what we serve? And who makes that choice and when? You cannot avoid the question by simply dismissing it. Freedom to choose your master is freedom no less and limiting choice to two fractions does not eliminate it. Call it ‘limited authority to disobey’ or anything you like. It remains that God’s created beings distort His image by trashing themselves and God either allows it or causes it. Whether we live in the first century or the twenty-first, with or without the influence of Augustine or Plato, the issue is real. God either causes or allows sin.

My question to you, Philetus, is whether you see that choice being made by the will or through action, for it would seem to me that you see the "choice" being equated to will (what one desires) and what I see is a choice made through action (what one does). You are equating the choice to free agency (will) while I'm equating the choice to contingency (action dictated by the will of another). So in essence I see on option (not so much a choice) to either live in obedience to God or to live in obedience to sin. It is not a choice, per se, for one's complicitness with one master or the other is entirely wrapped up in one's actions, whether intentional or not. One is guilty of sin (one is still distorted) even though one's sin comes as a result of being enslaved (or being tricked by the cunning of another). Sin need not be intentional, for sin has a will that overshadows the will of the individual; and if we live by our will (by our own "cunning") we end up submitting our will to distortion, for we are not the authors of ultimacy in the Creation.

That said, the issue is not whether God "causes or allows sin" as you put it. That is to give sin a reality that it really does not have. Sin is not ontologically independent. As I have said repeatedly, sin is a distortion of the good, and as a distortion is a parasite to reality. It cannot sustain itself. Its reality is utterly contingent upon God and upon the Creation. And because it is so utterly contingent, it is not a threat to either God or the Creation. The only reason we would perceive sin as a threat is only because we have submitted to its distortion (and believed its lies of immortality), for the only power of sin is to destroy. But if we, who are in Christ, recognize our mortality (our contingency in this world upon God), and if we repent of our "grabbing for power and life," then we will also recognize that the power of those who distort this Creation leading to destruction is only a power for their own destruction. For once the sinful have destroyed the very thing to which they are a parasite, they have ultimately brought about their own destruction. God neither causes nor allows sin. Sin is caused by our disobedience to God, and a rejection of God's will for the Creation. And though sin has entered into this world, God has not allowed it to continue (for had God done such a thing, God would have allowed the Creation to reach its proper end in that action, i.e. destruction, a return to the void from which it was drawn). But God has allowed no such thing, and certainly is not the cause of it. God has sent God's Son into the world, so that through God's Son the world might be saved (that is the entire cosmos which was on the path to its own destruction). In Christ the power of sin is utterly defeated (and the war is won, for the battle which was fought ended in the enemy falling on his own sword). God raised Christ from the dead, showing that the destruction which is seen as powerful in this world is no power at all, for what sin destroys God can raise in new life!

Philetus said:
No one is suggesting that ‘freedom of will’ transcends God’s sovereignty. Of course it is only as God ordains. And yes, exercising that limited authority contrary to God’s intended purposes for all creation is bad. It is sin. Recognizing our limitations as humans does not satisfy the question. Open theists do not besmirch the character of God by suggesting we can save our selves independently. We are masters of Creation with liberty to name its animals but without freedom to serve our Master? Hog wash! We can cut down too many trees in the forest and pave a parking lot, but cannot with the aid of the Holy Spirit choose to serve the Creator? We can harness the energy of the atom but cannot recognize the potential for either good or harm? In all we do, it is up to us to decide who we serve! If that isn’t freedom of will, however limited, tell me what it is. I agree that true freedom is service as Paul points out in Romans 12. Being set free to worship God by offering ourselves in reasonable service is freedom. I’ve got a relationship with God in Christ that I did not have before the Holy Spirit convicted me of sin and I repented. You can call it what you want. I call it reconciliation between two parties with previously differing wills. Now we work together where before I worked in opposition. God really doesn’t need my help, doesn’t treat me like a servant either … He calls me son. If you are jealous … take it up with your Father. I’m enjoying the working relationship.

You are missing the point, however, in all of this. You have no "freedom of will." Your will is in slavery to sin (at least if you are not in Christ). And if you are in Christ your will has been released from the chains under which it was held. Either way your will has not been active in any of this. You were enslaved against your will, and against your will you have been set free (for those who are enslaved to sin have set themselves against God). Yet though our will was against God, God did the very thing we least wanted God to do, and that was to love us. When you call God your "enemy" you don't want God as your enemy to lay down his life for your sake, for that undermines the very reality to which you had subscribed. And once God has done this act, you are no more. The enemies of God are no longer enemies of God (for in essence he has called us friends). Jesus calls out on the cross, "Father forgive them, for they are slaves (they don't know what they are doing)."

You see, there is one element of your own conversion that you have failed to explain, you were "convicted by the Holy Spirit." In other words the very message of the gospel went out and you could no longer refute the truth. It wasn't that you chose to follow God now (in your own will). God revealed to you just how empty your will had been, and showed you as who you really were, God's Creation (which you had never ceased to be). And those who reject the truth also show themselves for who they really are, the very people who have utterly distorted themselves beyond recognition. It is not that God desired for them to be that way (God would have desired for them never to have been enslaved in the first place). But God is very patient with even the most stubborn, and it is their own stubborness that leads to their destruction (they hold onto the empty reality that God has shown for what it really is). Notice that the destruction of the people after the opening of the 6th seal of the scroll in the Book of Revelation does not come by God's hand (for God is revealed in the slain lamb; the lion of Judah is expected, and he shows himself as a lamb who should be dead). And the people who continue to put themselves against God crawl into the caves and cry out "Fall on us, hide us from the terror of the lamb." (ooooooooo, AHHHHHHH). The irony is almost too much. It is God in the garden all over again, the God who asks the most telling question, "Where are you?" It is the image of the Father waiting patiently for the return of his son. Yet the children have hid themselves from the Father, thinking they had something to hide from him, thinking that God was against them. Yet God only asks that they see the truth and return to him.

Philetus said:
Words matter! You might want to read more carefully. But, words are not enough. You make too much of it. You seem to be hung up on or driven up the wall by words. Get past the words and live. In your eagerness to return to a pre-modern world view, don’t trash the relationships others are enjoying. I did not place the characteristics of God in opposition to one another. You make a big leap of assumptions. I didn’t call you out of the mucky-muck … I invited you into it. Again as Clete has pointed out, you avoid the question and go off on so many tangents it is unreal. You have been drinking too much home brewed neopla-tionic and keep accusing everybody else of it.

In your arrogance not to see the sins of the modern world, look at the suffering of those around you and see that you are complicit in it. Your relationship with God comes at the cost of loving your neighbor. Only in love for our neighbor do we truly love God. I do not see people enjoying relationship with their God. I see the millions and billions of people who are enslaved in this world because of a select few who want to enjoy their "relatedness" to their God without seeing Lazarus who sits at their gates begging for crumbs from the table. I see neurotic Christians who at the first plague of guilt must question once again whether they are saved! I see people who are so wrapped up in their own "personal relationship with God" that they fail to see their continued slavery in the sin of the world! I "see" a church that has become invisible, because its only aspect in this world is in the "personal convictions" of its supposed members! You want to accuse me of idealism! I go to India with a group of Christians (who I love dearly as my friends from College), and they all have a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ." Yet we arrive in India, and their actions are quite other. Tell me, Philetus, about this, when a group of Christians goes to an orphanage in India and begins to make little crafts for the kids there, only for me to discover that the crafts that we were making were "Made (manufactured) in India," and as I asked them to think about the realities of this no one even cared. Does our "good intention" in trying to entertain these children cover up the fact that materials we use were made by the parents of these children, parents who could not afford to care for their children because of the low wages given to them by the factory? My Christian brothers and sisters claim "relationship with God" and yet that relationship allows them to sit like the rich man at the table without even considering the poor Lazarus at the gates. All they said was "good intentions, good intentions, good intentions" which would allow them to ignore the question I had raised. And all of this in their "relationship with Christ"? What about the fact that the same group who had been told specifically to eat whatever was put before them refusing to eat the meal that this family (who was taking care of 8 orphans, children that weren't their own) had prepared for our group (a group consisting of 17) out of their own funds?

You see, the "relationship with God" that we claim to have in our evangelical "freedom" in the Democratic world has brought us to the same sins of the Pharisees, who ignored the weightier portions of the law consisting of "love, mercy, and justice" to have their "relationship with God" in ritualistic "cleanliness." And if one thinks that it is only an "international problem" that is only because that one has been well-trained to ignore the poor in our world.

I do want to stress that I am not accusing you of this, Philetus. But what I want to tell you is that one can very easily have a "relationship with God" without being true.

Philetus said:
You have no idea as to my views about the incarnation and the embodiment of Christ in the Church. My relationship with God finds expression in the alley (the mucky-muck) where I both experience and represent Jesus. Of all people you cannot accuse me of reducing salvation to personal piety or an exclusively individualistic relationship. I am so far from that it isn’t even in my thinking. You assume way too much. I am crucified with Christ, and the life I continue living in the flesh (and in the world) is a testimony to the fact that the eschatological statement of Christ (which he says he will make in the future) “I was” is a present reality “I am”. This Open Theist grasps the amazingness of the gospel and sees Jesus in the hungry, the poor and the naked as much as in the gathering of servants in his name. I experience Jesus in the wretched of the earth, who are finding out through proclamation and witness that God is present seeing to their every need. Don’t make me a target for your war on evangelicalism. You will miss the mark!

Yet you continue to push eschatology into the future, though the scriptures make the eschaton realized in the church (in the people of God). The end is not awaiting the "destruction of the earth" (that would be what we would expect if God simply "allowed" sin). The eschaton is just as much now as it is future. In Christ the future is brought to us (Christ is raised). Though the "present evil age" has not come to an end, the "age to come" is already here in Christ and in his church, we who are called out of this world, to live in this world as though we are not of it (for we are not). Christ has already defeated the powers of sin. The war has been won (even as Christ continues to submit the world to God). Now is the time for the purification of God's people, so that the bride (the church) can be presented to the groom "blameless," without spot or wrinkle. We are the virgins waiting for the arrival of the groom, so that when he comes we may enter into the great wedding feast that is prepared for all of God's people. You can't just "experience Jesus in the wretched of the earth," you must become poor (you must have compassion) with them, and live as though they were the most important in this world (for they really are!!). The Kingdom has come, and there has been a great reversal (not in the future, but now). And that reversal is not witnessed in the world (which continues to live by the present evil age), but it is witnessed among God's people, in the church. A relationship with God outside of the church is no relationship at all, but a farse!

Philetus said:
The relationship I speak of is first and foremost one of experiencing Jesus in the world. In the mucky-muck that is passing away as creatures made new experience the present reality of God in Christ. It has been so long since I saw a stained glass window from inside a sanctuary that I would forget what one looked like were it not for your avatar. The fellowship I enjoy is among believers who are still in the world as the body of Christ merely informing others in word and deed by extending God’s salvation hospitality in Christ. Open View Theists enjoy a freedom that you do not even understand when you limit the view to a single question and assume we have no experience that validates our position. The new order is apparently waxing fuller than you are aware.

And yet you still put off the new order to the future for you still see God "allowing sin," and because God "allows sin" you can enjoy your "freedom" to relate to God without having to place yourself in the way of those who are in power in this world in order to protect those who have no power at all, just as my dear friends could enjoy their relationship with God (and "share" that with the poor children) without having to ask what to do about the materials they were using for that end.

I have been in the "mucky-muck" and then some. And I have even seen God working through those same friends of mine for the good. But it was not by any "will" of theirs. It was the very fact that they submitted to the church (the body of Christians who gathered in India in different places) and who taught us how to be more Christian than we could have ever imagined on our own. We went to India in order to "serve them," and the people we served ended up teaching us about Christ. Amazingly, we did not share the message of the gospel with those who were in India, but they did for us.

Philetus said:
I’m not wrong about the historical context. You are wrong in your assumptions about me. The church is present … even in the post modern world … and it still has a head … and every member has a relationship to that head and through that head to every other member. Redemption is about being added to the body as members in particular.

And yet the church remains invisible for you, for it is determined by the "conviction" of the individual members in how closely they are related to Christ, as opposed to being determined by the members being "knit together at the sinews and ligaments" who as a body submit to Christ, and individually as members of that body. We are not in a Post-modern world by any stretch of the imagination (I doubt there are any who can actually think beyond the Modern); If anything we have jumped into lightspeed in a hyper-modern world. Redemption from this is about the Body of Christ which God has established by his Son, and which continues in the faithful who gather in Christ. It is about a visible presence in this world; it is about a people who together produce good fruit contrasting the wickedness of the age. Oh how wonderfully Ephesians illustrates this very point. "It is by grace ya'll have been saved, through faithfulness (which isn't yall's own, it is a gift, not by (human) works, lest anyone boast). For we (all) are God's workmanship (singular) Created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that they should be our way of life." Redemption is about the Body, which we are implored to be a part of. The testimony of Christ is born witness to in the life of the gathering, which lives faithfully in worship to the Lord. It isn't nominal; it is actual, as we submit ourselves to God's Spirit, who comes among us as a comfortor in Christ's stead (and calls us to patiently await his coming again).

Philetus said:
Don’t lecture an Open Theist about the present reality of the rule of God in Christ. I live in the modern world, the present, and in the reality of Christ. It is here and now that the truth of God rings clear. The evidence is all around. I don’t know who your beef is with but you are missing your target by a million miles with me. I’m not into churchianity. I am one in the world sharing in the suffering of Christ for the world in growing conformity with his death, experiencing the power of His resurrection with others being changed into his likeness in all the freedom of Christ …. Today!

Then don't push the eschaton off into the future (as if the age to come had not already begun in the church); and recognize that the power of God is not to change people's hearts (seeing how peoples hearts are swayed by food and entertainment; Ceasar could change people's hearts; the leaders of the US government can change peoples hearts, as Bush is illustrating to us quite well). No, God's power is in the life, death and resurrection of God's Son, who establishes a faithful people in this world to testify by their actions to the present reality of the Kingdom that even as it is now still is still hoped for to come in its fullness. "Experiencing the power of Christ's resurrection" comes as we submit ourselves to the people that God has established in this world (and as they submit to Christ as a body). This is not a personal relationship. There are no individual martyrs (despite what the Roman Catholic Church might say). Martyrs are only what they are (witnesses) in the plural, just as saints only have a reality as a body of saints (because any one saint is quite blemished).

You can pretend that you are not affected by the Modern World (that you can just live within yourself in a different way, by your own personal acts of piety and charity, sustained by your own personal conviction for the Lord). But the reality is that you as an individual are a member not of Christ but of this world (a world that is passing away). So if you are to be found in Christ, you must be found in the Body (just as it is for me). But as long as the body remains invisible we as a church will continue in falsity and in danger of our own destruction (especially if we continue to believe that it is our "freedom" in Democracy to do so).

Peace,
Michael

seekinganswers

Oh, and Philetus, the stainglass windows of the church were first introduced to narrate the scriptures to those who had no access to writing because literacy was a rarity in the early times of the church. If you went to a Catholic gathering place with stainglass (or any other gathering place for the church with stainglass in it, for that matter) you would see that story, or at least the faint remnants of it. How many people who claim "personal relationship with Christ" even know the basic narrative of the scriptures, for we evangelicals don't even think the entire narrative of the scriptures is important for conversion (we just preach the "Buddy Christ").

Peace,
Michael

themuzicman

RobE said:
Since this is your final answer: "God knew Satan's intent regarding Jesus, and Judas' belief regarding the Messiah (present knowledge), and all the possible courses of the future, which led to Judas' betrayal of Christ."

When asked why Judas was not drawn by God you said, "Because he was the one to betray Jesus."
Here you said that God was the cause!

No, I said that God didn't draw Judas. That's a far cry from God causing Judas to do anything.

When asked if God was the cause you said, "I'm saying that SATAN made Judas betray Him."
Here you said that Satan was the cause!

"Made" in the sense of Satan's ability to influence, whatever that is.

When asked how Jesus foreknew this you said, "I never said God was dumb. In fact, He's smart enough to bring about events in such a way that 11 of the 12 disciples become true to Him, and one of them, who was known from the beginning, betrays Him."
Here you said God arranged it(caused it)!

Arrange is a far cry from cause. They are not synonyms.

In our previous discussion you adamantly held to the notion there was absolutely NO cause for free will decisions!

Determining cause, yes. There are obviously influences and tendencies that we all have.

Do you see why I'm asking what your answer is?

Because you're making synonyms and assumptions that I'm not making.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.