ARCHIVE: Enyart on FOX

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Here is the transcript of the debate last night between Enyart and O'Reilly on the FOX news show, The O'Reilly Factor:

O'Reilly: This next story is very graphic and disturbing. Grady and Deborah Matchinck are on trial for abusing their teenage son. Mr.
Matchink is an L.A. county sherriff sargent. His wife, an L.A. elementary school principal. According to the D.A., they locked the then 14 year old boy out of the house at night, forcing
him to sleep on a dog mat. They also allegedly put dog droppings in his back-pack before he went to school. The child has been
removed from the home and the jury is now deliberating the fate of the Matchincks who could get 3 years in prison each. Joining us now from Denver is radio talk-show host pastor Bob Enyart. This is in my thinking I would convict. I would convict here because it's a pattern of sadism. One of the things is, the mother, Deborah Matchinck, took nude photos of the boy,
threatened to plaster them on the school walls if her son didn't change his behavior. This can't be alright with you pastor, can it?

Enyart: Well, why would you ask the question that way Mr. O'Reilly? Of course sexual harrasment, to threaten someone sexually, whether it's a wife, a girlfriend, or your own child (your going to post their pictures, naked pictures publicly) that's criminal. That's a serious threat and a criminal matter. Such a thing should be prosecuted. But what I think you should realize is that because there's a holy war in America against spanking, parents have lost control of their kids. Their kids are miserable and parents are pushed to try creative things
that don't work because the tried and true spanking does work.And when people argue and fight against spanking they don't realize it but they're hurting kids.

O'Reilly: Are you telliing me though that making your own child sleep outside on a dog mat is a creative way to discipline a child?

Enyart: I think it's absurd. But what I'm saying is if you're
part of the jihad against spanking then you're pushing parents into desparation where they don't know what to do to get their kids . . .

O'Reilly: I don't believe that for a second. I mean look, this guy's a police sargent. These are educated people. These aren't people who are drug addicted. Well, they may be but these are people who are professionals and they.

Enyart: But look at college professors and the kids that they raise. Kids today are miserable. ..

O'Reilly: Some

Enyart: They disrespect their parents. ..

O'Reilly: Some. Not all.

Enyart: No not all, of course.

O'Reilly: I don't hit anybody. I was a high school teacher
and I didn't loose control of any kids and I don't hit anybody. And believe me, nobody misbehaves in my presence.

Enyart: Mr. O'Reilley how many documentaries does there have to be of our public high schools where they bring cameras in
and it's like a zoo. In Denver we have girls practically having sex in the hallways.

O'Reilly: Yeah, it's because they don't hold kids accountable for their behavior. There's a difference between discipline and sadism.

Enyart: I agree.

O'Reilly: And I don't believe, look you believe spanking's
a cure-all, I don't. And let the audience decide. It's not a cure-all.

Enyart: Spanking works.

O'Reilly: In some cases it does. In some cases it's abusive.

Enyart: Excuse the pun but it works accross the board. ..

O'Reilly: No it doesn't.

Enyart: ...through generation after generation. You raise
healthy kids when you spank them. And you're part of the jihad.

O'Reilly: Pastor, you go to any prison in the United States
and you'll find that 90 percent of the violent felons have been beaten as children.

Enyart: You're wrong.

O'Reilly: It doesn't work.

Enyart: You're wrong.

O'Reilly: No I'm not. That's true. That's true. Get the
department of corrections report then pastor.

Enyart: You are wrong. There are parents who don't believe in spanking. They don't spank their kids and they fly off the handle because their kids are miserable.

O'Reilly: Hey pastor, get the Department of Corrections report on violent felons. Don't tell me I'm wrong. I'm right. That report says that 90 percent of violent felons in this country were physically beaten as children. Don't give me that "I'm wrong" business. I deal in facts, not hyperbole.

Enyart: Any study can be written by somebody with an axe to
grind. If the author is part of the jihad then they're going to tell you and you're going to believe.

O'Reilly: Alright, let's get back to these 2 people alright?

Enyart: Yeah.

O'Reilly: Now, you're on the jury. These things have been proven
beyond a reasonable doubt to you. What do you sentence these parents to?

Enyart: Whatever is criminal. For example threatening to put naked pictures of a family member up, doing that is criminal so therefore if you look at the principle . . .

O'Reilly: What do you sentence them to?

Enyart: Well you sentence them . . . if you threaten someone
with sexual harrasment they should be flogged. That's what should happen to them.

O'Reilly: Flogged. I don't think that's an option in California.

Enyart: Well you know what? About 90 percent of Americans support flogging. It's a lot more effective.

O'Reilly: Alright I'm getting . . . there's a theme here.

Enyart: Yeah, there's a theme.

O'Reilly: I'm getting the physical hurting theme here.

Enyart: Here's the theme. There's a difference between right
and wrong and liberals who are against spanking, against the death penalty, pro homosexual, pro evolution. ..

O'Reilly: And we're gonna flog 'em all. Alright pastor we've got to let you go because we've got more flogging to do here. Thanks very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dee Dee Warren

That is CLASSIC!!!! Thank you for posting that Jefferson.. I wish I could have seen it.

Y

Yxboom

Wasn't there a caller recently who was insistant that O'Reilly was conservative. Appears Enyart outs another liberal from the conservative closet.

P

Pilgrimagain

There was another thread on here baout that evening in regards to spanking. I think Enyart is correct at least in that spanking can be a good thing and used correctly is very effective.

Of course he himself needs to learn a little about the line between spanking and beating if reports are true.

Y

Yxboom

A baseball bat (a hockey stick in Knight's case)= Beating

A switch or paddle = Spanking

P

Pilgrimagain

Depends on how you use the paddle or switch. I've seen kids bloody and unable to move after a good licking by a switch or paddle.

And you should have ssen the passle my mom used on my brother. Man on on such a b ig kid as him was getting hit by that veritable bread board not a beating!

Y

Yxboom

Without being overly anal regarding it my point remained that there is a clear distinction between beating a child and spanking him. A butt bruised v. a black eye are not to be confused.

P

Pilgrimagain

Yes, you are quite right on that one. And any fool could see the difference.

I also note that there is a difference in attitude that need sto be seen as well. I mean, no one should hit our of anger. Rather, controled spanking is for punishment, not release of emotion.

Y

Yxboom

My father was anti-spanking and my mother used to hit out of anger all the time due to the fact that she was a little chinese woman with 3 very large boys. Brooms, tires, you name it. She had no control and they knew it. Often cops came to our home because there was just no other resolution.

I became saved, learned God's way of rearing children and my family as a contrast on the other hand, my wife has never in any instance needed to lash out in anger. Spankings are administered by me and always in a calm manner where we have a few minutes in reflection and resolution for it not to be repeated. We have a minute in prayer and the spanking is then administered. In a few minutes following there are apologies reconcilition and forgiveness. Due to the manner in which we discipline our children are extremely cordial and are not brats to begin with therefore the need for a spanking is far and few in between and the need for lashing out illogical. It just doesn't happen. Therefore there is peace and love and the 20-30 minutes of broken fellowship in the process of discipline pays its dividends in the weeks, months and quite possibly years of love and unity.

C

cirisme

Originally posted by Yxboom

I became saved, learned God's way of rearing children and my family as a contrast on the other hand, my wife has never in any instance needed to lash out in anger. Spankings are administered by me and always in a calm manner where we have a few minutes in reflection and resolution for it not to be repeated. We have a minute in prayer and the spanking is then administered. In a few minutes following there are apologies reconcilition and forgiveness. Due to the manner in which we discipline our children are extremely cordial and are not brats to begin with therefore the need for a spanking is far and few in between and the need for lashing out illogical. It just doesn't happen. Therefore there is peace and love and the 20-30 minutes of broken fellowship in the process of discipline pays its dividends in the weeks, months and quite possibly years of love and unity.

That's a great process.

I'll have to remember that when I have kids. :thumb:

P

Pilgrimagain

Hey Boom I think that is an awesome example of just how it should be done! The aspect of prayer added into the mix is exactly what people should be doing. I also like that you talk about reconciliation and forgiveness at the end of the process. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Y

Yxboom

Thanks but had I not been saved and brought to an understanding of Godly child rearing I imagine my children would be pretty messed up. Our children are the inheretance from God and we give Him the credit.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Yxboom
Thanks but had I not been saved and brought to an understanding of Godly child rearing I imagine my children would be pretty messed up. Our children are the inheretance from God and we give Him the credit.

I know exactly what you're saying here. And, I agree. I had a messed up childhood as well. Without God, I would have been dead by the time I was twenty. And, with God, I am doing (IMHO) a pretty good job raising my daughter.

GraceInMe

Delicate Flower
Banned
I have so much respect for Enyart.......Not to many people in the Christian community would stick up for what is right like he does. He goes through a lot of ridicule for it too. He is my modern day hero.

Ryokan

I've turned out very well, as have my siblings, and we where never spanked. Grounded an awful lot, but not spanked.
And Enyart's as bad as O'Reilly.