ARCHIVE: Burden of Proof

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Burden of Proof

Knight comes along and tells every one that he has an anti-gravity device. All Smiles says no you don't, I don't believe it! Knight says prove I do not have one. All Smiles says prove that you do.

Who is correct here in demanding the Burden of Proof, IOW who does the burden fall on?

Sozo

Spenser 2 said:
Burden of Proof

Knight comes along and tells every one that he has an anti-gravity device. All Smiles says no you don't, I don't believe it! Knight says prove I do not have one. All Smiles says prove that you do.

Who is correct here in demanding the Burden of Proof, IOW who does the burden fall on?

I've seen it, and so have millions of others, so if Allsmiles is really interested in disproving what many others know to be true, it's up to him.

The burden is on Allsmiles.

Mr. 5020

Spenser 2 said:
Burden of Proof

That depends...

Does 84% of America also know that Knight has this device, with only 16% agreeing with The AS?

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Hey, I haven't turned this towards God yet, you can explain your reasoning for him later. It is a simple question and so far these are the only two people involved...

Mr. 5020

Spenser 2 said:
Hey, I haven't turned this towards God yet, you can explain your reasoning for him later. It is a simple question and so far these are the only two people involved...
Ok, as long as we agree that it's a poor analogy...

Sozo

Spenser 2 said:
The burden is on Allsmiles.

Knight is not obligated to prove anything to every idiot that asks him to.

allsmiles

do i have to believe that the device exists before i can see it? is believing first a prerequisite for proof?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Spenser 2 said:
Burden of Proof

Why would Knight say.... "prove I do not have one." if indeed he has one?

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
We don't know if he has one, he has only asserted he has. Perhaps I should have worded it Allsmiles says "Prove that you do!" While Knight says "Prove that I don't!"

SUTG

Since they are both making positive claims, the both have something to prove.

Knight: It is the case that I have an AG.
Allsmiles: It is the case that Knight does not have an AG device.

Knight and allsmiles are analogous to a Theist and a Strong Atheist in theological parlance.

cheers,
SUTG

Spenser 2

BANNED
Banned
Very good SUTG, now what if All Smiles just said I don't believe it? Or, what would be required to resolve this debate between Knight and All Smiles?

SUTG

Knight said:
Why would Knight say.... "prove I do not have one." if indeed he has one?

SUTG is wondering why Knight is referring to himself in the third person. :confused:

SUTG

Spenser 2 said:
Very good SUTG, now what if All Smiles just said I don't believe it?

Their would be no burden of proof on Allsmiles in that case. Unless some nitpicker wanted him to prove that he didn't believe it.

Or, what would be required to resolve this debate between Knight and All Smiles?

In this case, we could say that the burden of proof was on Knight to prove, or at least offer compelling evidence, for his AG device. The phrase "compelling evidence" often becomes a can of worms...

Tazjhe

Extraordinary Claims

Extraordinary Claims

In this case, the burden is on Knight.

When an extraordinary claim is made, and extraordinary is used with the primary definition, scepticism should be expected. The more extraordinary the claim the greater the scepticism. (Insert your favorite extraordinary claim here.) ;)

Allsmiles could just ignore Knight, which would be an acceptable response, or she could try to draw the information out of Knight. There are several methods that this could be done, the example posted is on the more aggressive side (effectively calling Knight a liar).

At some later time, anti-gravity devices may be common. If such is the case, for Knight to claim ownership of such a device would not be an extraordinary claim. Of course, Allsmiles may still say, "Prove it!"

allsmiles

Tazjhe said:
In this case, the burden is on Knight.

When an extraordinary claim is made, and extraordinary is used with the primary definition, scepticism should be expected. The more extraordinary the claim the greater the scepticism. (Insert your favorite extraordinary claim here.) ;)

Allsmiles could just ignore Knight, which would be an acceptable response, or she could try to draw the information out of Knight. There are several methods that this could be done, the example posted is on the more aggressive side (effectively calling Knight a liar).

At some later time, anti-gravity devices may be common. If such is the case, for Knight to claim ownership of such a device would not be an extraordinary claim. Of course, Allsmiles may still say, "Prove it!"

:confused:

she?

:chuckle: