ARCHIVE: Bob Enyart has already lost the debate ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Shugart

Originally posted by LightSon
I'm a little hazy on what you mean by using the gospel to dismantle a world view.
LightSon,

The "world view" that we are discussing is in regard to "spiritual things",i.e. whether or not God exists.

And those that deny the existence of God cannot understand the things of God outside of a born again experience:

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned"(1Cor.2:14).

Since these spiritual things are "spiritually discerned",it is evident that before they can even understand spiritual things they must first be "born of the Spirit":

"Except a man be born again,he cannot see the kingdom of God...born of the Spirit"(Jn.3:3,8).

He cannot see or understand the things of the kingdom of God unless he is born of the Spirit.

And there is only one way that the sinner is born of the Spirit,and that is by hearing the New Testament (which is Spirit--2Cor.3:6,8) and believing it.

The ministers of God are given a powerful tool,the gospel which comes in the power of the Holy Spirit:

"For our gospel came not unto you in ord only,but also in power,and in the Holy Spirit......"(1Thess.1:5).

It is only that power that allows the sinner to come to the knowledge of spiritual things.

Why should the ministers of God not use the tool that comes in power and instead use the "wisdom of the world",which has no power at all in regard to spiritual matters?

In His grace,--Jerry

Last edited:

LightSon

Originally posted by Jerry Shugart

Why should the ministers of God not use the tool that comes in power and instead use the "wisdom of the world",which has no power at all in regard to spiritual matters?
Dear Jerry,

1st Corinthians 3:19 says, "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. "

I'm going to pray about this "wisdom", and what it entails, as I may be ignorant. James talks about wisdom in chapter 3. In verse 15 he states, "This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish."

In your view, what does this conclude for Knight's shared conversion experience.
Was Knight's conversion
1. invalid (i.e. fake)
2. inspite of worldy wisdom
3. because of worldly wisdom
4. some other case.

I have this sense that all (conversational) roads lead to the gospel. You seem to be saying just theopposite, that one needs to present the gospel and have it accepted before ANY other conversation can take place. Please bear with me on this.

Also, what thoughts do you have about Matthew Henry's commentary on Proverbs 26:4,5? (this can be seen in my post - page (21) and post # 308). If you have the time....
Thanks.

Last edited:

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Hilston – Sorry for taking so long to reply, and it may be a while longer till I finally do reply as my schedule is very full.

1Way

Jerry Shugart

In your view, what does this conclude for Knight's shared conversion experience.
Was Knight's conversion
1. invalid (i.e. fake)
2. inspite of worldy wisdom
3. because of worldly wisdom
4. some other case.
LightSon,

Knight said that sometimes after hearing Bob's answer in regard to the question of the existence of God he saw a videotape on the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.So I would say that he was born again after seeing that tape and not before.

As I said before,the Scriptures demonstrate that there is one and only one way that the sinner comes to a knowledge of the Lord,and that is by hearing and believing the gospel.

Jim Hilston made a good point earlier when he compared the method of Bob Enyart with the methods of the faith healers.

Neither method will bring the sinner to salvation.For example,let us examine those who believed because of the miracles which they saw the Lord Jesus perform:

"Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name,when they saw the miracles which he did.But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men..."(Jn.2:23,24).

These were men who had not ever believed the "words" of the Lord Jesus Christ,and even though they "believed in His Name" they were not "born again".

And it is no coincidence that the very next incident that follows this is the Nicodemus sermon,which is about the fact that "except a man be born again,he cannot see the kingdom of heaven"(Jn.3:3).

The men who the Lord would not commit Himself are like the men who believed when they saw His miracles but left when they would not believe His words:

"And a great multitude followed him, because they saw his miracles which he did on them that were diseased..."(Jn.6:2).

But when the Lord spoke of drinking His blood and eating His flesh,there were those who were offended.Then the Lord said:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him"(Jn.6:63-66).

And the words which bring life now is the "gospel".It is by the "gospel" that the truth of God is revealed to man.

Knight was not brought to the truth of God by any scientific evidence or any "wisdom of the world".As the Lord told Peter,it is the Lord who reveals the truth of God to the sinner:

"Blessed art thou,Simon Barjona;for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee,but My Father,Who is in heaven"(Mt.16:17).

So it is equally impossible for anyone to be "born again" based on any so-called miracles which they might see in these days as it is for anyone to be "born again" by any "wisdom of the world".

As I said before,you can argue until you are blue in the face with an athesist and you mght even get them to admit that there is a God.But with that these former athesists will join the millions upon millions of people who admit that there is a God.

But the former athesist will not be born again and he still will not understand spiritual truths.
I have this sense that all (conversational) roads lead to the gospel. You seem to be saying just theopposite, that one needs to present the gospel and have it accepted before ANY other conversation can take place.
No,I am saying that the gospel should be the center of any conversation that takes place,and that all the objections that the unbeliever might have can be answered from the Scriptures.
Also, what thoughts do you have about Matthew Henry's commentary on Proverbs 26:4,5? (this can be seen in my post - page (21) and post # 308). If you have the time....
Thanks.
Please give me a little time to think about these verses and then I will answer the best I can.

In His grace,--Jerry

Last edited:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Wrong methods, right heart?

Wrong methods, right heart?

Hi LightSon:

Jim wrote: false atheistic reasoning, the question-begging nature of the atheist's claims, and the error of allowing the atheist to wield the tools of reason as if they were neutral with respect to truth.

LightSon writes:
If it is an error to allow them certain “tools of reason”, ...
To be more specific, we should not use the proper tools in an atheistic manner. That is, we must use them as the reflection of God's nature and character. Not just as neutral truth-ascertaining products of chance in a random universe. And when the atheist presumes to use them, we then challenge them to justify it, to prove their validity, to prove their reasoning is adequate, etc. Of course, we're allowing them to use these faculties when we ask them to read a sentence. The point is, we show them they cannot do so without borrowing from the Christian worldview.

Jim wrote: "Wait a second -- I shouldn't be arguing this way." Usually it is a temptation of the flesh. Rather than argue biblically (which is more difficult and requires sharp biblical clarity in one's thinking), it's easy to get drawn into the secular methods of fallacious reasoning.

LightSon writes:
What is fleshly? You argue for “sharp biblical clarity in one's thinking”. I won’t argue against that, except to say that one can be fleshly and still have “sharp biblical clarity”.
Of course. It comes down one's motive and understanding. It is fleshly in principle to argue atheistically. It appeals to the flesh, that is why we are warned against it, in addition to the fact that it violates biblical principles.

LightSon writes:
Fleshliness pertains to one’s heart motive over and against the specifics of what comes out of one’s mouth or one’s thought processes. In that sense, “sharp biblical clarity” could slip under the secular method.
Of course. Even good things (such as scripture) can be used for evil purposes. That's not what I'm talking about.

Jim wrote: It also says they became empty in their reasoning. Does that mean they were no longer able to reason? Of course not. It means that their reasoning becomes futile, because without the God they deny, reasoning, the laws of logic, mathematics, science, etc. do not make sense. They become inane and pointless, and their minds (hearts) become darkened.

LightSon writes:
Yes, but just because their reasoning tends towards futility, do we defer to engage with them?
Do you really think that's what I'm saying? I mean, look around. Have I dismissed or declined to engage the atheists here?

LightSon writes:
It SEEMS that to be consistent you should argue we mustn’t argue at all. It follows, from you view, that we should declare them lying fools, give them the gospel and send them on their way. That is, to me, the fruition of your position.
You're right, that is the ultimate statement of truth as far as their atheism is concerned. Some people actually do that, and they're not wrong for doing so. For me, I prefer to expose the truth about them and to demonstrate their hypocrisy and question-begging and self-delusion. But, for me, to start there would not be strategic, or as enjoyable.

LightSon writes:
And if we engage with them, we need to work through their mindset, no matter how dark their heart or futile their reasoning. Or we can walk away.
I agree.

LightSon writes:
Consider this. If all verses are specifically profitable for doctrine, then it follws that all verses are profitable for reproof? Is that what Paul was saying? How about this verse Matthew 1:14 “14Azor the father of Zadok, Zadok the father of Akim, Akim the father of Eliud” I’d like to see you reprove somebody with that verse.
You could reprove someone with it who was disrespecting the geneology of Israel (like the Covenantalists do).

LightSon writes:
... but the profitability of a particular verse as applied doctrinally or for reproof must rest on interpretive rules. Otherwise you end up with Judas hanging himself as an example to all of us.
Who ever suggested otherwise?

JIm wrote: Does that mean I should not base my training of my children on that verse? Because that's hard work and I could make life a little easier by not being so concerned about this. Obviously, I'm being facetious, but I'm no less serious about the point. How would you answer my question?

LightSon writes:
As a principle you should base your training on this verse, definitely. You have 2 choices (a.) Train up a child in the way he should go or (b.) Do not Train up a child in the way he should go.
Exactly. So, what do you have against the understanding and application of Prov. 26:4,5 in the same manner: As a principle you should base you answers to a fool on this verse. You have 2 choices: (a) Biblically answer the fool, or (b) Do not biblically answer the fool.

LightSon writes:
My point is that as a general principle, there is no iron clad guarantee that a child won’t depart from your training from time to time.
Of course. There's no iron-clad guarantee that the fool will not be left wiser in his own conceit. But that doesn't justify arguing unbiblically, no more than the possibility that a child might still depart justifies NOT raising one's child in way he should go. Do you agree?

LightSon previously wrote: Second, and to continue my support of the first observation, many good theologians see these 2 verses in a different light.

Jim replied: Of course. That is irrelevant. The Jews of Paul's day ...

LightSon writes:
It is not irrelevant. Please be fair. I based my statement on “good theologians” not “Jews of Paul’s day.” In turning to the whited sepulchers, you vitiated my argument.
Not at all. Even whited sepulchers can speak truth; Jesus said so. The standard is scripture. So if even "good theologians" violate the scripture, I will defer to scripture. I do not take lightly the opinions and concerns of other Christians, especially when those concerns are biblically based. Unfortunately, Matthew Henry has done a shoddy job on this verse. Keep in mind to whom Proverbs was written and for what purpose. Think of how well Prov 11:14 applies to that situation. The principles are applicable beyond that immediate scope, of course, but it is better to understand the verse in its immediate scope first, and then to explore whether or not it might be applied more broadly.

Jim previously wrote: Here, MH violates the very words of both the immediate text and the larger context. It does not say or suggest keeping silent.

LightSon writes:
You just lost me with that. Prov 26:4 “Answer not a fool according to his folly…” If I am “answering NOT”, then this could be construed as “keeping silent”, ...
Only in our modern English would you make that assumption. Both verses are saying the fool, in this case, gets an answer. Answering, but according to a certain one manner, and answering, but NOT according to a certain manner.

LightSon writes:
To lock down your position, you will need to argue that the spirit of God never leads us to keep our mouths shut
Not at all. There are certainly times to keep our mouths shut. There are certainly times where the disciples were to regard the gainsayer as swine and not cast their pearls before them. That's not what Prov. 26 is talking about. Rather, when you answer them, if you answer them, do so biblically, not unbiblically. To "answer not" is not to keep silent.

LightSon writes:
Again, I think you are overreaching. We are not always required to give a verbal answer to the fool.
I didn't say we were. Nor did I ever say that the Proverbs verse was saying that we must always give a verbal answer. But when you do, there is a principle to be applied. That is what we find in 26:4,5.

LightSon writes:
We call this being silent. Even a tacit response could be an answer. For example, when Pilate asked Christ, “what is truth?” Did Jesus give an answer? Perhaps, but his answer wasn’t verbalized. He kept silent.
Right. Proverbs 26:4,5 was not applied by Jesus in that situation.

LightSon wrote previously: Most any tool might be effective in showing the atheist the incoherence of his worldview.

Jim asked: For example?

LightSon writes:
I didn’t have one particular example in mind. How about the tools which aided in Knight’s conversion. I realize you are trying to show they are unbiblical but the dynamics “biblical” versus “unbiblical” are still fuzzy in many people’s minds.
Ever heard the aphorism: "There is no free lunch"? That is what atheists want when it comes to their use of logic and reason. They want to assert their independence, their autonomy, their own standards of right and wrong, true and false, and impose them upon the evidence you present, the truths you declare, and indeed God Himself. This is consonant with the affirmation in scripture that they are all without excuse, having already been given sufficient knowledge of the truth, of God's existence, of His attributes and of His judgment against them. Atheism is a lie. To affirm this lie is to become complicit in the mythical claims of the atheist. To pretend this lie is true and to get the anti-theist, on the basis of that lie, to see truth is dishonest and deceptive.

LightSon writes:
Please note that I am not arguing for “whatever works”. I am arguing for whatever tool the Spirit leads us to use is suitable.
Would the Spirit lead you to use a tool unbiblically? Did the Holy Spirit lead Benny Hinn to make converts based on a false healing ministry? Of course not.

LightSon writes:
I am also saying that your application of Prov 26, 4,5 is not binding in the way you have argued.
Based on what you've written above, I'm not convinced you understand my use and application of the verse.

LightSon wrote: ... but as in Knights case, the false worldview must be dismantled.

Jim asked: You used "but," a contrasting conjunction. How does "showing the atheist the incoherence of his worldview" differ from the atheist having his "false worldview ... dismantled"?

LightSon writes:
Sorry. I used my “but” inappropriately and led you to a wrong conclusion.
In that case, I assure you that Knight did not have his worldview dismantled. He might have seen that he didn't have an answer to some of Bob's assertions. But if Bob presented the same or similar kind of argument as he is to Zakath, no worldview was dismantled. He might have exposed some holes, he might have pointed out some fallacious reasoning, but a hardened atheist will be unscathed by these potshots. The biblical approach goes for the jugular, and rips out the floorboards from underneath the atheist. They may not be aware that it has happened, but that does not mean it hasn't been adequately done. The evidentialist essentially hands the atheist a document of certification, saying, "Go ahead and claim you don't believe in God. That's ok. Go ahead and sit in judgment of your Creator. Go ahead and use your own standards of reasoning and science, with all your false presuppositions intact. In fact, here let me buttress those false assumptions with some false assumptions of my own."

LightSon writes:
You clearly did not like the implications of the “house of cards” reference. Sorry.
It's not that I didn't like the implications. If it were true, then touche'. I'll take the hit.

LightSon writes:
I only meant that if you are only using Rom 1 and Prov 26:4 to build your logical framework, and if assumed usage is incorrect, then your logic falls over.
Of course. Now that we agree on this, your task is to show that my usage is incorrect. By the way, what logical framework are you talking about? Do you have a different one than I use?

Lightson wrote previously: Your conclusion is that persuasion based on physical evidence is unbiblical.

Jim replied: Are you deliberately misstating my position? ….. The fact of them being persuaded is not itself unbiblical. It is unbiblical for the believer to persuade the atheist based on physical evidence.

LightSon writes:
I wasn’t trying to misstate you position Jim. Let me ask you to confirm your last quote. Did you not say, “It is unbiblical for the believer to persuade the atheist based on physical evidence.”?
Yes. I did NOT say that persuasion based on physical evidence is unbiblical. People are persuaded by all kinds of things, even false arguments, but the persuasion is not itself unbiblical -- just the manners of persuasion. Did I clarify that sufficiently?

LightSon writes:
I then proceeded to show that scripture uses physical evidence all the time to demonstrate God’s handiwork.
And sufficiently so. It declares it. And yes, as Paul says, quoting Psalm 19 in Romans 10:18 they have heard, and yes, they do know.

LightSon previously wrote: Clearly “the things that are made” are physical evidence and they are arguing for God’s existence.

Jim replied: Are clearly seen. Are understood. Are without a reasoned defense. These are statements of fact about the atheist. So now what? You say, "Hey, I know you've clearly seen the evidence, and I know you already understand, and I know that you understand God's eternal power and nature, and you have a detailed knowledge of God's judgment against you (v. 32) -- the Bible says so -- but just in case that isn't enough, here is some additional evidence to persuade you." Do you see anything wrong with that rationale?

LightSon writes:
The Bible says so. Is that enough? Well apparently not. Jesus sent us the comforter along side to help illuminate our minds to what scripture says.
What? Where? Are you then giving an excuse to the unbeliever? Since he doesn't have the Holy Spirit to illuminate him, he can't be held accountable for not understanding. Is that what you're saying?

LightSon writes:
The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. If the heavens declare God’s glory, and the atheist is too self-deceived to see it ...
He's not. The Bible assures you of this.

LightSon writes:
... and if the Holy Ghost moves me to grab the poor atheists head and point it upwards to the heavens and say “behold, God’s handiwork”, then that must be okay.
LightSon, that is OK. That's what Bob should be doing. He's not. He's arguing about rocks that can't create themselves and fires that can't burn forever. He should be saying, "Zakath, LOOK! There is God's handiwork." Then when Zakath protests based on his own presumably autonomous standards of evidence, and science, and reasoning, then Bob should rip the floorboards out from under him. Earlier in this thread, Zakath said, "I don't argue with presuppositionalists." Have you ever heard an aggressive "life-style" atheist back down from a debate? I imagine it's not a nice feeling to be left dangling in the void without anything to solid to stand on. Someone informs me that I once debated Zakath. I don't remember it. I've debated so many. Apparently it's true.

LightSon writes:
Regarding your treatment of “Paul's understanding of Ps. 19 as it is revealed in his rebuke of the Jewish gainsayers in Romans 10:14-18.” …… I’m going to have to study and think on that for awhile.
Please do. I look forward to your thoughts on that.

LightSon writes:
I really don’t want this to degenerate into just another tit-for-tat.
I assure you that it will not.

LightSon writes:
All I’m doing is trying to show how I perceive your arguments. Your conclusions seem wrong to me and your assumptions seem wrong to me, ...
Convince me that you understand my conclusions and assumptions. I'm not yet sure that you do.

LightSon writes:
In the meantime, it would be a shame if our fixation on the dissection of apologetic tools kept us from actually using the tools.
In my case, it won't happen. Have a look at the sister thread to this one.

LightSon writes:
Here’s an obviously false dichotomy, but we’ll see how you respond. Which is better? To sincerely (in good conscience) use a wrong tool, or a tool inappropriately? Or doing nothing out of fear and selfishness.
How do you gauge "better?" According to what is the value judgment "better" determined? According to the outcome? Or according to obedience to God's word?

LightSon writes:
It seems that God uses wrong methods all the time, especially when done in faith.
Wrong methods done in faith? That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Merci ...

Merci ...

Hi Curtsibling,

You write:
Hilston, I applaud your steadfast view, in the face of traditionalist thinking!
Thanks for the kudo. What are your thoughts? Do you think the so-called atheist has an adequate answer to the biblical challenges of the Christian worldview?

PS: I like your scary avatar. Where I can I see some of your cartoons?

Cheers,
Jim

Mr Jack

I am curious, Hilston, and I apologise if you've already answered this question for I have not read every post in this thread. Why do you (and others) believe that evidence, reason and science require a theistic underpinning?

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Required theistic underpinning ...

Required theistic underpinning ...

Hi Mr. Jack,

You write:
Why do you (and others) believe that evidence, reason and science require a theistic underpinning?
Because it is impossible for reason and science (the cogency of which is required for the proper interpretation of evidence) to exist apart from the Christian God. Whenever a non-theist engages the mind, states a predication, applies inductive reasoning, trusts his senses, or balances his checkbook, he is borrowing tools from the only worldview can make sense of these things, namely, the Christian theistic worldview.

Anyone who claims otherwise should be prepared to somehow provide, apart from the existence of God, the necessary preconditions for the intelligibility of human experience. This must be done without committing logical fallacies and begging crucial questions. I haven't seen it done yet and, as a Christian defending the theistic worldview, I don't really expect the problem to ever be surmounted by the anti-theistic mind.

Finally, to keep your question on-topic, I am positing that Bob Enyart not only fails to make the case that I've stated above, he actually enables and encourages the atheist to operate as if evidence, reason and science do not require a theistic underpinning. It is a pretended neutrality, which is unbiblical (as a Christian, Enyart should know better) and it is untenable (the standards of science, apart from God, are self-refuting).

Thanks for your question.

Jim

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Required theistic underpinning ...

Originally posted by Hilston
It is a pretended neutrality,
Have you read the debate?

I really do not see your above statement as being true. Not that I agree with your premiss anyway - which of course I don't. But I certainly do not see neutrality in Bob's argument.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Pretended neutrality ...

Pretended neutrality ...

Yes, I've read the debate. The fact that you don't see the statement as being true shows that either I haven't been clear, you haven't been reading carefully, or maybe a little of both. Allow me post a transcript of Greg Bahnsen's opening speech in his debate with Gordon Stein in which he more expertly expresses the points I've been trying to make. People are probably tired of hearing from me anyway.
-------------
Arguing For the Christian God
_
First of all it’s necessary at the outset of the debate to define our terms, that’s always the case._ In the particular here, I should make it clear what I mean when I use the term God._ I want to specify that I’m arguing particularly in favor of Christian theism, and for it as a unit of system of thought, and not for anything like theism in general, and there are reasons for that…three.
_
1. The various conceptions of deity found in the world religions are in most cases logically incompatible leaving no unambiguous sense to general theism, whatever that might be.

2. Secondly, I have not found the non-Christian religions to be philosophically defensible, each of them being internally incoherent or undermining human reason and experience.

3. And thirdly since I by the grace of God am a Christian, I cannot from the heart adequately defend those religious faiths with which I disagree._ My commitment is to the Triune God and Christian world-view based on God’s revelation in the Old and New Testaments._

So first then, I am defending Christian theism.
_
Issues of Debate
_
Secondly, I want to observe and we should indicate what it is (and is not) at issue in the debate and on the basis of which we hope you will consider the debate._ It must be clear that we are debating about philosophical systems, not the people who adhere to or profess them._ Our concern is with the objective merits of the case which can be made for atheism, or Christian theism: not relative, subjective or personal matters._ And again I have three reasons or illustrations of this.
_
1. The personalities of those individuals who adhere to different systems of thought are not really relevant to the truth or falsity of the claims made by those systems._ Atheists and Christians can equally be found emotional, unlearned, intolerant, or rude in their approaches.

2. Secondly, subjective claims made about the experience of inner satisfaction or peace (claims that are made interestingly by both Christians and Atheists in their literature) and promotional claims made about the superiority of Christianity or Atheism for instance (some atheist literature suggests that greater mental health comes through the independence of the atheist outlook): these sorts of things are always subject to conflicting interpretations and explanations being, I think, more autobiographical rather than telling us anything for sure about the truths of the system under consideration.

3. Thirdly, the issue is not whether the atheists or professing Christians have ever done anything undesirable or morally unacceptable._ One need only think respectively of the atheist involvement in the Reign of Terror in the French Revolution and the professing Christian involved in the Spanish Inquisition._ Now the question is not whether adherents of these systems have lived spotless lives, but whether atheism or Christian theism as philosophical systems are objectively true.

And so I’ll be defending Christian theism, and I’ll be defending it as a philosophical system.
_
Concession To Knowledge Pertaining to Ovarian maturation of Japanese Quail.
_
My last introductory remark is simply to the effect that I want to concede to my opponent all issues pertaining to the control of ovarian maturation in Japanese quail._ Okay?_ The subject of his doctoral dissertation in 1974 at Ohio State?_ (Audience laughter)
_
I would not pretend to hold my own in a discussion with him of the empirical details of his narrow domain of specialized natural science._ However our subject tonight is really much different, calling for intelligent reflection upon issues, which are philosophical or theological in character.
_
For some reason Dr. Stein has over the last decade left his field of expertise and given his life to a campaign for atheism. Whatever his perception of the reason for that, I do not believe that it is because of any cogent philosophical case which might be made for atheism as a world-view, and it is to this subject which I now turn for tonight’s debate.
_
Opening Case
_
My opening case for the existence of God will cover three areas of thought._ They are the nature of evidence, the presuppositional conflict of world-views, and finally the transcendental argument for God’s existence.
_
The Nature Of Evidence
_
First of all the nature of evidence._ How should the difference of opinion between the atheist and the theist be rationally resolved?_ What Dr. Stein has written indicates that he, like many atheists, has not reflected adequately on this question._ He writes, and I quote:
_
“The question of the existence of God is a factual question and should be answered in the same way as any other factual question”, end of quote.
_
The assumptions that all existence claims are questions about matters of fact; the assumption that these are all answered in the very same way is not merely oversimplified and misleading, it is simply mistaken._ The existence, factuality, or reality of different kinds of things is not established or disconfirmed in the same way in every case.
_
We might ask, “Is there a box of crackers in the pantry?” and we know how we would go about answering that question._ But that is a far cry from the way we go about answering, uh, determining the reality of say barometric pressure, quasars, gravitational attraction, elasticity, radioactivity, natural laws, names, grammar, numbers, the university itself (that you’re now at), past events, categories, future contingencies, laws of thought, political obligations, individual identity over time, causation, memories, dreams or even love or beauty.
_
In such case cases, one does not do anything like walking to the pantry and looking inside for the crackers._ There are thousands of existence or factual questions and they are not at all answered in the same way in each case._ Just think of the differences and argumentation and types of evidence used by biologists, grammarians, physicists, mathematicians, lawyers, logicians, mechanics, merchants, and artists. It should be obvious that the type of evidence which one looks for in existence or factual claims will be determined by the field of discussion and especially by the metaphysical nature of the entity mentioned in the claim under question.
_
Dr. Stein’s remark that the existence of a god is answered; (rephrase) the question of the existence of god is answered in the same way as any other factual question mistakenly reduces the theistic question to the same level as a box of crackers in the pantry, which we will hereafter call the crackers in the pantry fallacy.
_
The presuppositional conflict of world-views
_
Secondly then I would like to talk about the presuppositional conflict of world-views._ Dr. Stein has written about the nature of evidence in the theistic debate, and what he has said points to a second philosophical error of significant proportions._ In passing we would note how unclear he is by the way, in speaking of the evidence which must be used describing it variously as logic, facts or reason._ Each of these terms is susceptible to a whole host of differing senses, not only in philosophy, but especially in ordinary usage depending on who is using the terms._ I take it he wishes to judge hypothesis and the “common sense” by test of logical coherence and empirical observation.
_
The problem arises when Dr. Stein elsewhere insists that every claim which someone makes must be treated as a hypothesis which must be tested by such evidence before accepting it._ “There is to be nothing”, he says, “which smacks of begging the question or circular reasoning.”
_
This I think is oversimplified thinking and again misleading (what might call the pretended neutrality fallacy)._ One can see this by considering the following quotation of Dr. Stein._ And I quote:
_
“The use of logic or reason is the only valid way to examine the truth or falsity of a statement which claims to be factual.”_ That’s the end of the quote.
_
One must eventually ask Dr. Stein then how he proves this statement itself._ That is, how does he prove that logic or reason is the only way to prove factual statements?_ He is now on the horns of a real epistemological dilemma._ If he says that the statement is proven by logic or reason, then he is engaging in circular reasoning and he is begging the question, which he staunchly forbids._ If he says that the statement is proven in some other fashion, then he refutes the statement itself!_ That logic or reasoning is the only way to prove things.
_
Now my point is not to fault Dr. Stein’s commitment to logic or reason, but to observe that it actually has the nature of a pre-commitment or a presupposition._ It is not something he has proven by empirical experience or logic, but it is rather that by which he proceeds to prove everything else._ He is not presuppositionally neutral in his approach to factual questions and disputes._ He does not avoid begging crucial questions rather than proving them in what we might cal the “garden variety ordinary way.”_
_
Now this tendency to beg crucial questions is openly exposed by Dr. Stein when the issue becomes the existence of God (because he demands that the theist present him with evidence for the existence of God)._ Now a theist like myself would gladly and readily do so._ There is the evidence of the created order itself, testifying to the wisdom, power, plan and glory of God._ One should not miss the testimony of the solar system, the persuasion of the sea, the amazing intricacies of the human body._ There’s the evidence of history; God’s deliverance of His people, the miracles at Passover night and the Red Sea._ The visions of Isaiah, the Shekinah Glory in the temple, the virgin birth of Jesus, His mighty miracles, His resurrection from the dead. There’s the evidence of special revelation, the wonder of the Bible as God’s word unsurpassed in it’s coherence over time and it’s historical accuracy and it’s life renewing power.
_
In short, there is no shortage of empirical indicators or evidences of God’s existence, from the thousand stars of the heavens to the five hundred witnesses of Christ’s resurrection._ But Dr Stein precludes the very possibility of any of this empirical evidence counting as proof of God’s existence._ He writes and now I quote:
_
“Supernatural explanations are not allowed in science._ The theist is hard put to document his claims to the existence of the supernatural if he is in effect forbidden from invoking the supernatural as a part of his explanation._ Of course this is entirely fair as it would be begging the question to use what has to be proved as a part of the explanation.”_ End of quote.
_
In advance you see, Dr. Stein is committed to disallowing any theistic interpretation of nature, history or experience._ What he seems to overlook is that this is just as much begging the question on his own part as it is on the part of the theist, who appeals to such evidence._ He has not at all proven, by empirical observation and logic, his pre-commitment to naturalism._ He has assumed it in advance, accepting and rejecting all further factual claims in terms of that controlling and unproven assumption.
_
Now the theist does the very same thing, don’t get me wrong._ When certain empirical evidences are put forth as allegedly disproving the existence of God, the theist regiments his commitment in terms of his presuppositions as well._ See, just as the naturalist would insist that Christ could not have risen from the dead, or that there is a natural explanation yet to be found of how he did rise from the dead, so the super naturalist insists that the alleged discrepancies in the Bible have an explanation, some yet to be found perhaps, and that the evil of this world has a sufficient reason behind it, known at least to God.
_
They both have their governing presuppositions by which the facts of experience are interpreted._ Even as all philosophical systems, all world-views do._ At the most fundamental levels of everyone’s thinking and beliefs, there are primary convictions about reality, man, the world, knowledge, truth, behavior and such things._ Convictions, about which all other experiences organized, interpreted and applied.
_
Dr. Stein has such presuppositions and so do I, and so do all of you._ And it is these presuppositions, which determine what we accept by ordinary reasoning and evidence, for they are assumed in all of our reasoning, even about reasoning itself.
_
The Transcendental Argument For the Existence Of God
_
So I come thirdly then to the transcendental proof of God’s existence._ How should the difference of opinion between the theist and the atheist be rationally resolved?_ That was my opening question._ We’ve seen two of Dr. Steins error regarding it:_ The crackers in the pantry fallacy, and the pretended neutrality fallacy.
_
In the process of discussing them, we’ve observed that belief in the existence of God is not tested in any ordinary way like other factual claims; and the reason for that is metaphysically because of the non-natural character of God and epistemologically because of the presuppositional character of commitment for or against His existence.
_
Arguments over conflicting presuppositions between world-views therefore must be resolved somewhat differently and yet still rationally than conflicts over factual existence claims within a world-view or system of thoughts._ When we go to look at the different world-views that atheists and theists have, I suggest that we can prove the existence of God from the impossibility of the contrary.
_
The transcendental proof for God’s existence is that without Him, it is impossible to prove anything._ The atheist world-view is irrational and cannot consistently provide the preconditions of intelligible experience, science, logic or morality._ The atheist world-view cannot allow for laws of logic, the uniformity of nature, the ability for the mind to understand the world, and moral absolutes._ In that sense, the atheist world-view cannot account for our debate tonight.

--------End of excerpt------------

My thanks to the following website for providing this excerpt:
http://www.geocities.com/jeremyandrobin/bahnsensteindebate.html

I encourage anyone who is interested in the nature of this debate to acquire the Bahnsen-Stein audio debate. It is available online as an audio stream. A link was posted earlier in this thread. Let me know if you'd like me to post it again.

Submitted for your consideration,
Jim

flash

BANNED
Banned

Hi Mr. Jack,

You write:Because it is impossible for reason and science (the cogency of which is required for the proper interpretation of evidence) to exist apart from the Christian God. Whenever a non-theist engages the mind, states a predication, applies inductive reasoning, trusts his senses, or balances his checkbook, he is borrowing tools from the only worldview can make sense of these things, namely, the Christian theistic worldview.

Anyone who claims otherwise should be prepared to somehow provide, apart from the existence of God, the necessary preconditions for the intelligibility of human experience.

This is easy to do without presupposing any Gods. Instead or presupposing the Christian god as the source of reason and science, just presuppose an intelligible universe. Problem solved. Presuppose whatever you want as the source of intelligibility. Presuppositions are nothing but assertions anyways.

Refute this worldview:

Flash is the creator of all things and the authority of all things.

RogerB

Re: Re: Required theistic underpinning ...

Re: Re: Required theistic underpinning ...

Originally posted by flash
Refute this worldview:

Flash is the creator of all things and the authority of all things.

Your posts here prove otherwise.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Mystery solved ...

Mystery solved ...

Flash, did you miss this part?: "Anyone who claims otherwise should be prepared to somehow provide, apart from the existence of God, the necessary preconditions for the intelligibility of human experience."

So let's have it.

Of course, Flash does not really believe he is the creator of all things, but you see, this is what atheists do when they are confronted with the bankruptcy of their own worldview. They start to get absurd and argue on the basis of other ludicrous views and say "your view is no better than _(name_of_ridiculous_theory_du_jour_here)_."

Jim

flash

BANNED
Banned
Re: Mystery solved ...

Re: Mystery solved ...

Flash, did you miss this part?: "Anyone who claims otherwise should be prepared to somehow provide, apart from the existence of God, the necessary preconditions for the intelligibility of human experience."

What would suffice as "necessary preconditions for the intelligibility of human experience", and how are they provided in your worldview. If you answer me this, I can answer your question.

Of course, Flash does not really believe he is the creator of all things....

Why does this matter? I am just illustrating how trivial it is to construct worldviews similar to those of the presuppositionalists (Van Til, etc.)

Can you refute the worldview I presented? No? Does that put it on the same grounds as your Triune Christian God worldview? What criteria do you use to evalute worldviews? Whether or not I believe them to be true?

this is what atheists do when they are confronted with the bankruptcy of their own worldview. They start to get absurd and argue on the basis of other ludicrous views and say "your view is no better than _(name_of_ridiculous_theory_du_jour_here)_."

You are making a pretty fantastic set of claims with your Triune god worldview. You are claiming to understand quite a bit. Can you support these claims?

Last edited:

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Jim

"Anyone who claims otherwise should be prepared to somehow provide, apart from the existence of God, the necessary preconditions for the intelligibility of human experience."

I know I have asked this many time and NEVER got an answer yet but..

1. Why are preconditions for the intelligibility of human experience NECESSARY ???

2. How does the existence of a God provide preconditions any more than a does an accidental occurrence from the processes of the Universe ?

3. If precondition ARE necessary then why do we not also require preconditions for a God ?

You don’t answer these questions Jim because you CANNOT. Sure you will go into a long diatribe and basically repeat the same mantra over and over.. preconditions are necessary.. God provides them.. without ever answering !

heusdens

God is a precondition for consciousness, not for matter.

God is to consciousness as a ROM BIOS eprom is to software.
It provides the means to a software program to communicate to the outside world.

In the same way 'God' provides to our consciousness the ability to communicate in a sensefull and meaningfull way to the outside material world.

Outside of the world of consciousness thought, outside of the human brain, there is however no God.

That what exist outside of our consciousness, is matter in eternal motion, which has independend existence from consciousness.

Consciousness is the way in which the world exists in a subjective way.
Matter is the way in which the world exists in an objective way.

Note:
The ROM BIOS eprom is in fact sofware in harware form. While a computer is able of running any kind of sofware, the ROM BIOS eprom is a necessary part to provide to the program the means to communicate with the outside world.

God can be thought of as some form of consciousness in material form. We can not change that part, cause that would cause us to become unable to communicate in a sensefull way about the outside world. We would have meaningless thoughts, which don't reflect anymore on the outside world.

'God' connect thoughts to the senses. Although we can not perform an experiment in which consciousness would be seperated from the senses, we can simulate that when floating in a 37 degrees celcius warm water tank
When you start floating in there, you minimize the input from the senses, and your consciousness becomes rather unconcrete.

It's a relaxing experience!

Last edited:

LightSon

heusdens,
You are a really smart person, that much is obvious. Methinks you are a little too smart for your own good.
Originally posted by heusdens
Outside of the world of consciousness thought, outside of the human brain, there is however no God.
Such a bold and impudent assertion. Your certainty (or faith) in the byproduct of your great intellect is staggering.

.......................but what if you happen to be mistaken?

Respectfully.

heusdens

heusdens,
You are a really smart person, that much is obvious. Methinks you are a little too smart for your own good.

Such a bold and impudent assertion. Your certainty (or faith) in the byproduct of your great intellect is staggering.

.......................but what if you happen to be mistaken?

Respectfully.

And what if I am right?

Sincerely,

Rob

PS.

In this debate between Bob Enyart (theist) and Zakath (agnostic, presenting himself as an atheist) it is fairly obvious who is winning. Although I don't think that theism is the way in which the world exists, there is not much for an agnostic to argue against. Since agnosts, besides arguing against a God, don't have much to explain of why and how it is that the world exists.

A more fair debate would have to occur between a theist and a materialist. That would be a good and interesting debate.
Since both of them have profound and deep going thoughts about the way in which the world exists.

I don't think that materialism is or can be wrong. It accounts for the existence of the world in an objective way. All that theism or idealism can do is account for the world how it exists in a subjective way.

But ask yourself this question: how can you know from your own consciousness that the world existed prior to you became consciousness of the world?

The answer is: you can't. You must relie on sources outside of your own consciousness to know about that fact.

But as it is natural that consciousness itself had a begin in time, this same thing is totally alien to the world of matter.
Cause matter exists in an objective way and not subjective. Matter is the primary substance to the world. It is primary, because neither can matter be destroyed or be created.
So. the world itself neither had a begin or end. Matter is infinite and eternal.

God, in my mind, only accounts for the fact that we can know about the world, that we can know that our world of thoughts within our own consciousness, correspond to an outside world, which is apart and independend from our consciousness.
It is therefore a fundamental principle or idea about the world.

Outside of consciousness, outside of the human brain, there is no God, because God does not exist in an objective way.

I don't see a way how this explenation can be wrong. Theist can not argue against this, since they were never able to provide a proof for God's existence in an objective way.
They only reside on proof which only make sense to the world of consciousness (since that had a begin and a cause outside consciousness itself).

Theism makes only sense to people, who don't have developed a philosophical profound outlook on the world, and who are unaware of materialism.

Last edited:

LightSon

Originally posted by heusdens
And what if I am right?

Sincerely,

Rob
Dear Rob,
Hypothetically speaking (and don't tell Jim Hilston that I'm speaking such foolishness), if you are right then within 100 years (by outlandishly liberal estimates), you and I will likely have long since decomposed.

All your great thoughts will be gone and your theories of consciousness and uncreated matter etc., will have to be argued by your children's children. They may have distant memories of you, but that is all.

I'm sitting at my computer desk looking at a picture of my Dad. On July 22, he will have been dead exactly two months - he was 80 year old. I reflect on all the happy memories of being with him, of fishing, of playing cribbage and having a few laughs.

The notion that I will never see my Dad again is painful. Human life and love carries such incredibly sublime beauty. These values increase as I regard them as gifts from a loving heavenly father, who has anticipated all of what we experience; He is also working all things together for my eternal good.

All that is special to me decreases in value as I ponder that it might have all happened by accident. To you God is a figment of my imagination. And to be brutally honest,,,,on my worst days, as my faith wanes, I fear that too. I'm sincerely thankful that those moments are becoming less as I continue my walk with Him.

Faith is a funny thing - it almost has a life all its own. As I starve my faith, it fades as it were a candle deprived of oxygen. When I feed my faith on the what God has spoken in the Bible, my faith intensifies, growing brighter and brighter. There have been times of spiritual ecstasy where it is just as if God came and whispered in my ear. Such testimonies are to be weighed with suspicion by you; I understand that. But as you rest upon your bed at night, some night, as you might reflect on the immensity of our universe, the incredible beauty and complexity of our world and also the wonder of the human experience, perhaps you just might consider the question; what if God really is out there? What then? What might such a God want from you? In Jesus name, what do you have to loose?

Status
Not open for further replies.