Any History Buffs?

Feral Phoenician

"History is destined to repeat itself, and those who study history are doomed to watch it happen".

Just wondering if there are any other "Armchair Historians" (or even outright Historians) on here.

For those who do love history (or are just interested), today is the Centenary of The Battle of the Somme.

Anyone wanting to ad to this thread; historical "tidbits", debate history, discuss "Alt History", come on and chime in.

Feral Phoenician

While told from an Ulster Loyalist/Unionist perspective, this is likely the greatest song about The Battle of the Somme, and the 36th Ulster Division which was so bloodied in the battle, but made such instrumental Allied gains during the early days of the battle.

"In the greatest charge of that European war". The lyrics tell the truth.

Feral Phoenician

Another classic song about the 36th Ulster (and RIR* and KOIR/QOIR*) is "Bonnywood Green". While modern Loyalist and Unionist romanticized history has tried to paint the 36th as a "Protestant Unit", this is patently false. While the 36th did originally fill it's ranks from the UVF (Ulster Volunteer Force, aka Carson's Rifles), the 36th Ulster Division was compromised of anywhere from 25-35% Roman Catholics.

*RIR - Royal Irish Rifles
*KOIR/QOIR - King's Own Irish Rifles/Queen's Own Irish Rifles.

Danoh

The hymn, The Battle Hymn of the Republic, was inspired by the erroneous notion held by many back then that the world was then headed toward the Great Tribulation and Coming of the Lord.

Post-Tribulationism having been the belief of many Americans at that time (the Civil War).

The old "spiritual Jew" myth.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword,
His truth is marching on.

Feral Phoenician

This I did not know. Obviously, there are strong Religious overtones in the song, but I did not know it's "Religious back story". Thanks for passing it along.

Feral Phoenician

If the US Civil War is "up your alley", I'll share an anecdote of the time period.

The 69th Infantry Regiment ("The Fighting 69th") was compromised almost entirely of Irish immigrants. It's commander was Michael "Mick" Corcoran, who was known for being rather outspoken.

The Prince of Wales was visiting the US, and The Fighting 69th were a unit chosen to parade for the Prince. Corcoran protested, but was overruled.

One by one the units paraded for the Prince, and when within distance of his seat, were to give the command "eyes right" and face him.

Well, the 69th came close to his seat, and Corcoran got the last laugh. He issued the command "Eyes Left", and the 69th Infantry Regiment showed the Prince the backs of their heads.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
been deep into the French and indian war the last few years - a lot of it happened in my neighborhood

currently re-reading Bloody Mohawk (https://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Mohawk-American-Revolution-Frontier/dp/1883789664} and would highly recommend it for anybody interested in the period

Feral Phoenician

Thank you for the recommendation. The French-Indian War would see the breakup of the Iroquois Nations, and absolutely "pave the way" for the coming Revolution. I remember in highschool it was barely glossed over, and when my brother was in highschool (I'm 10 years older than him), it wasn't even taught.

Feral Phoenician

Lol, is that what you call it? Good to know you see it now.
I guess I never saw it as a Religious song, or Hymn, or at least not an overt one.

After the "knowledge bomb" was dropped on me in here, I went to YouTube and listened to a few renditions of it.

Yes, it is an overtly Religious song. After listening to it with that mindset, I don't know how I ever missed it.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
"History is destined to repeat itself, and those who study history are doomed to watch it happen".

Just wondering if there are any other "Armchair Historians" (or even outright Historians) on here.

For those who do love history (or are just interested), today is the Centenary of The Battle of the Somme.

Anyone wanting to ad to this thread; historical "tidbits", debate history, discuss "Alt History", come on and chime in.

I enjoy reading about history but I wouldn't consider myself a buff or really knowledgeable. Right now I'm reading this book about WWII.

https://www.amazon.com/Inferno-Worl...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1467593848&sr=1-2

Really good book. Gives lots of accounts from participants that were written in letters, journals, etc. I had studied about WWII some because of a class I took in college about Germany but this book goes over areas of the war that I had little to no knowledge about before.