antipas

Bradley D

Antipas martyr. Some earlier manuscripts do not mention "martyr." Writings about who Antipas was did not appear till the 5th and 6th century. Many commentaries consider those to be myths. Whoever Antipas was, Jesus mentioned him and that is a great blessing for him.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
antipas 2:13

who is antipas?

tertullian 225 mentions him
victorinus 303 does not
eusebius 340 does not

tertullian also knows about the seven churches
victorinus does not
eusebius does not

the only reasonable explanation for this
is
there were two different versions of the apocalypse

one that had antipas and the seven churches
and
the other that did not

back to
the apocalypse

I'd say there is a good possibility that Jesus was talkin' bout the days of Herod Antipas when His church was being martyred, some of those who fled that time of persecution took the word there.

Acts 8:4 KJV
Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.

Acts 11:19 KJV
Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.

20 And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus.

Those old church father's took many liberties with changing scripture.

Nobody described days by the death of anyone.

Days were determined by a length of rule by a king.

Therefore the days were of Antipas, wherein Christ's faithful were slain.

The way it was translated......

Revelation 2:13 KJV
I know thy works, and where thou dwellest , even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth .

The way John most likely wrote it............

Revelation 2:13 KJV
I know thy works, and where thou dwellest , even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days of Antipas, wherein my faithful were slain among you, where Satan dwelleth .

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Antipas martyr. Some earlier manuscripts do not mention "martyr." Writings about who Antipas was did not appear till the 5th and 6th century. Many commentaries consider those to be myths. Whoever Antipas was, Jesus mentioned him and that is a great blessing for him.

eusebius mentions many martyrs
but
not antipas

he mentions the church pergamos
he mentions all but one of the churches
he mentions the apocalypse many times
but
no where does he connects any of the churches to the apocalypse

there is only one reasonable explanation
his version of the apocalypse did not have antipas or the churches

the same must be true for victorinus

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Writings about who Antipas was did not appear till the 5th and 6th century.

there are not any extant copies of the apocalypse prior to the 5th century

prior to the 5th century
tertullian is the only one to mention antipas

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we know more about pergamon than we know about antipas
and
we know that none of the seven churches survived
we know that christianity did not survive in what is now known as turkey
islam, the second beast, replaced christianity and paganism
paganism of the roman empire, the first beast, killed antipas
those who had an ear were being warned
they would have to overcometh to survive the second death
He knew their works
He knows our works

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
we know more about pergamon than we know about antipas
and
we know that none of the seven churches survived
we know that christianity did not survive in what is now known as turkey
islam, the second beast, replaced christianity and paganism
paganism of the roman empire, the first beast, killed antipas
those who had an ear were being warned
they would have to overcometh to survive the second death
He knew their works
He knows our works

Really?..........

How exactly did Islam cause people to worship Rome?

Revelation 13:12 KJV
And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed .

False Prophet

Many Christian traditions believe Saint Antipas to be the Antipas referred to in the Book of Revelation (Revelation 2:13) as the "faithful martyr" of Pergamon, "where Satan dwells". According to Christian tradition, John the Apostle ordained Antipas as bishop of Pergamon during the reign of the Roman emperor Domitian. The traditional account goes on to say Antipas was martyred in ca. 92 AD by burning in a brazen bull-shaped altar for casting out demons worshiped by the local population.

There is a tradition of oil ("manna of the saints") being secreted from the relics of Saint Antipas.[3] On the calendars of Eastern Christianity, the feast day of Antipas is April 11.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Many Christian traditions believe Saint Antipas to be the Antipas referred to in the Book of Revelation (Revelation 2:13) as the "faithful martyr" of Pergamon, "where Satan dwells". According to Christian tradition, John the Apostle ordained Antipas as bishop of Pergamon during the reign of the Roman emperor Domitian. The traditional account goes on to say Antipas was martyred in ca. 92 AD by burning in a brazen bull-shaped altar for casting out demons worshiped by the local population.

There is a tradition of oil ("manna of the saints") being secreted from the relics of Saint Antipas.[3] On the calendars of Eastern Christianity, the feast day of Antipas is April 11.

Paul's prophecy literally came to pass.

2 Timothy 4:4 KJV
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Really?..........

How exactly did Islam cause people to worship Rome?

Revelation 13:12 KJV
And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed .

who worships rome?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the dog that didn't bark

I don't wish to refer to eusebius and victorinus as dogs
but
the truth is they didn't bark

they didn't know about antipas
they didn't know about the seven churches either
so
what do you make of this?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
in revelation2, john talks about pergamos and antipas

12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;

13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.

14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.

16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

here victorinus does not mention pergamos or antipas

The third order of the saints shows that they are men who are strong in faith, and who are not afraid of persecution; but because even among them there are some who are inclined to unlawful associations, He says:—

14-16. "You have there some who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught in the case of Balak that he should put a stumbling-block before the children of Israel, to eat and to commit fornication. So also have you them who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes; but I will fight with them with the sword of my mouth." That is, I will say what I shall command, and I will tell you what you shall do. For Balaam, with his doctrine, taught Balak to cast a stumbling-block before the eyes of the children of Israel, to eat what was sacrificed to idols, and to commit fornication—a thing which is known to have happened of old. For he gave this advice to the king of the Moabites, and they caused stumbling to the people. Thus, says He, you have among you those who hold such doctrine; and under the pretext of mercy, you would corrupt others.

17. "To him that overcomes I will give the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone." The hidden manna is immortality; the white gem is adoption to be the son of God; the new name written on the stone is "Christian."

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so why do the other commentators ignore the fact
that
eusebius and victorinus ignore antipas?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
what they don't say can be significant when you take into consideration what they have said
victorinus and eusebius are the best examples of this
and
I have not come across any commentaries on the apocalypse that talks about this
it calls for speculation
something many prefer not to do

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
what they don't say

victorinus and eusebius don't talk about it
so
the commentators don't talk about it

who is going to talk about it?

Whoever he was, the name 'antipas' breaks down to something kind of un-name like: 'anti' 'pater', or anti-father. That sounds like a funny name.