And a very pleasant day to all...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I’ve never done anything remotely like this before, so I hope creating a new thread by way of saying hello was the correct procedure.

I spent the first 29 years of my life as an atheist, including the last several of those as a Buddhist. I have for some time believed in God, but I’m not locked into any ‘holy dictation’ orthodoxy and have a number of views that would, I’m certain, have made me a lovely light to read by in times not too distant.

At present I find myself enjoying an examination of a number of faiths for their perspective on the Truth. I believe any earnest pursuit of the Truth is a pursuit of God--even if the one pursuing doesn't quite know it yet.

Lastly, I just created my own avatar, but I don't know how to replace the one I chose from the short list...bother. Any help there?

SUTG

I believe any earnest pursuit of the Truth is a pursuit of God--even if the one pursuing doesn't quite know it yet.

Blaise Pascal once said something like "If you are seeking God, then you've already found Him."

Welcome to TOL. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I appreciate the sentiment of your post along with the helpful advice of Knight and Nomad and the welcome of everyone.

I hate to admit I am mostly familiar with Pascal through his contributions to mathematics, though I have heard of and read bits of Pensees.

There is simply too much to take in...Sometimes the overwhelming nature of that realization leaves me reeling. I compare it with moving through infinite space at the speed of light. No matter how swiftly you travel, no matter what you encompass, you've barely moved and you hold next to nothing.

So obviously I'm going to be a light-hearted addition to this group...

Oh well, to paraphrase Gandhi, God as truth is a treasure beyond price. To which I would add: That isn't to suggest, however, that the universe won't present you with a bill.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I’ve never done anything remotely like this before, so I hope creating a new thread by way of saying hello was the correct procedure.
It was, though it was a lonely thread in its day. :eek: Well, it's not where your start...

I spent the first 29 years of my life as an atheist, including the last several of those as a Buddhist. I have for some time believed in God, but I’m not locked into any ‘holy dictation’ orthodoxy and have a number of views that would, I’m certain, have made me a lovely light to read by in times not too distant.
This has been the biggest shift for me. I'm a great deal more orthodox and settled than I was when I arrived and a lot of that has to do with a few of you patiently explaining things, offering reading materials that solidified a lot for me...and listening in around the scriptural discussions, even if I rarely posted.

At present I find myself enjoying an examination of a number of faiths for their perspective on the Truth. I believe any earnest pursuit of the Truth is a pursuit of God--even if the one pursuing doesn't quite know it yet.
Still true in the latter part, less in the former. I've read much of what I mean to outside of the faith now and I still believe Lewis and Tolkien were right on the Christian myth, etc.

Lastly, I just created my own avatar, but I don't know how to replace the one I chose from the short list...bother. Any help there?
Chose the hairless guy for a while to be ironic, even if no one knew it for a bit. When the option opened up I went Hobbes more often than not, when I wasn't going left or right or full face to throw rainee into a tizzy. :)

It's been a long time since I walked around in this thread. It seemed time for an update and, again, thanks for the welcome.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This message is hidden because Eeset is on your ignore list.
I wondered if you'd be tacky enough to show up here and likely whine about something. Looks like at least half the answer is yes.

Edit: took you off to finish the thought.
Are you going to lock this thread down too?
Two for two then.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You are being very mean spirited. Why don't you leave TH alone? :confused:
Because that's who she is. She wants a number of things she can't have because who she has chosen to be won't allow her to change what she needs to have them. The rest is resentment and its by product.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
You are being very mean spirited. Why don't you leave TH alone? :confused:
Gosh Bybee are you really that obtuse? TH loves the attention. It would drive him nuts if I left him be. I actually like the big lug. Aside from his adoration of Grant that is.