Allah is the Arabic name for God.

koban

fool said:
Ferrets are cool.

My son (and I) took care of his best friend's pets while he was away over Thanksgiving break. Two big dogs, three cats, bird, fish and nine (!!!) ferrets.

I had never warmed up to them before this, now I think they're pretty cool, too!

Getting them all back in the cage was a challenge, though. :freak:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
koban said:
My son (and I) took care of his best friend's pets while he was away over Thanksgiving break. Two big dogs, three cats, bird, fish and nine (!!!) ferrets.

I had never warmed up to them before this, now I think they're pretty cool, too!

Getting them all back in the cage was a challenge, though. :freak:

You could build them a little amusement park, they'll love riding the Ferrets Wheel. :freak:

koban

BillyBob said:
You could build them a little amusement park, they'll love riding the Ferrets Wheel. :freak:

The room they're in has a couple of floor to ceiling cages with tubes everywhere. Pretty neat, actually.

Chandler

Samuelintonboot said:
The Arabic bible which predates the English bible by a long time uses the Arabic name for God which is Allah.
I write this because some people (even some Christians) think that Muslims worship a different God from them (hard to comprehend I know).
The Hebrew word for "God" is "Elohim" (plural form) or "Eloah" (singular). Is "Allah" derived from or related to the Hebrew "Eloah"?

Aimiel

The name Allah is the name of the god whose prophet is Mohammed: a false god that doesn't exist.

fool

Hall of Fame
Perhaps some facts would be in order here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah
From the link said:
Arabic
الله
Transliteration
Allah, Allāh
Translation
"God"
Although the usage of the word Allāh is traditionally attributed to Muslims, it is not exclusive to Islam; Arab Christians and various Arabic-speaking Jews (including the Teimanim, several Mizraḥi communities and some Sephardim) also use it to refer to the monotheist deity. Arabic translations of the Bible also employ it, as do Roman Catholics in Malta (who pronounce it as "Alla"), Christians in Indonesia, who say "Allah Bapa" (Allah the Father) and Christians in the Middle East who use the Aramaic "Allāha".

Aimiel

The god named in the Koran is Allah, who doesn't exist. The God Who is Named in The Bible does. He chose to magnify His Word even above all His Name. He has never given His Name. He is. Jesus said, "Before Abraham was, I Am."

Granite

Hall of Fame
Blah-blah-blah, Aimiel. All of you people say the same thing: that your God is the only true God and that it's true because your book says so. The word "Allah" in and of itself is not evil or threatening; Fool just pointed out even Arab Christians use the word.

fool

Hall of Fame
Aimiel said:
The god named in the Koran is Allah, who doesn't exist. The God Who is Named in The Bible does. He chose to magnify His Word even above all His Name. He has never given His Name. He is. Jesus said, "Before Abraham was, I Am."
From the Wiki link
"The Aramaic word for God is alôh-ô (Syriac dialect), which comes from the same Proto-Semitic word (*ʾilâh-) as the Arabic and Hebrew terms; Jesus is described in Mark 15:34 and Matthew 27:46 as having used this word on the cross (in the forms elō-i and ēl-i respectively) when asking God why God had forsaken him."

Aimiel

Granite said:
Blah-blah-blah, Aimiel. All of you people say the same thing: that your God is the only true God and that it's true because your book says so. The word "Allah" in and of itself is not evil or threatening; Fool just pointed out even Arab Christians use the word.
:blabla: Granite. Squeaky calls a familiar spirit The Holy Ghost. Doesn't make it so. Allah is a false god, whether you believe it or not.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Aimiel said:
:blabla: Granite. Squeaky calls a familiar spirit The Holy Ghost. Doesn't make it so. Allah is a false god, whether you believe it or not.

The word itself is harmless and is used by your Christian brethern to describe the God of the Christian Bible. You're jumping at the bogeyman, Aimiel. The Allah of Islam may be your ideological enemy but as a word "Allah" is innocuous. That's all.

Aimiel

"Whenever it is postulated that Christians and Muslims worship the same God, there are some -- both Christians and Muslims -- who say this is simply untrue. Those who raise objections generally agree that Christians and Muslims worship one God, but will not accept the statement that they worship the same God. Admittedly, this problem is probably more of a Christian problem than it is a Muslim problem. Once a Muslim is ready to acknowledge that God can be known by a name other than Allah (i.e., God. Onyame, etc.), he will generally agree that Christians and Muslims worship "the same God." At the same time, he will insist, however, that Christians err in "associating" (shirk) others with God. This conclusion grows out of the common misunderstanding among Muslims, based partially on the Quran (5:119), that Christians worship a Trinity of Father, Mother, and Son.

The problem as it confronts Christians is another kind of a problem altogether. It is a question of whether you can say you are worshipping the same God when you have such different understandings of the nature of God. Those who are troubled by this concern say that although Christians and Muslims use the same name for God and many of the same words to describe Him, they are not talking about the same God because Christians are talking about the Triune God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit..." --excerpted from "REACHING MUSLIMS FOR CHRIST: A Handbook for Christian Outreach Among Muslims" by William J. Saal (Chicago: Moody Press, 1991) (© 1991 Arab World Ministries).