All you need is James

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
If I had to choose one book from the Bible to survive for future generations it would be James.

It contains the most succinct understanding of The Way. Making the point that doing is better than talking. This includes what you do in your thoughts and feelings not just what you appear to do!

It also states the Truth that you can have a direct connection with God.

Just a quote to entice you to read or listen to the book;

James 1:5 International Version (NIV)

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt,...

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
If I had to choose one book from the Bible to survive for future generations it would be James.

It contains the most succinct understanding of The Way. Making the point that doing is better than talking. This includes what you do in your thoughts and feelings not just what you appear to do!

5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt,...

The book of James was written to the scattered twelve tribes of Israel and not to the Gentiles. James 1-1 "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting."

marhig

It was reading the book of James that sent the sword straight into me. I've been brought up to believe in God, and my uncle and mum used to talk to me about the things of God. But I lived my own life and didn't read the Bible very often.

My Bible was on a shelf in my bedroom, and every now and again is look up at it and guiltily look away. Then one day I thought, no I'll read. I randomly opened at the book of James. Read it all, and that was it. I started reading the Bible all the time, and my husband read it with me, and we started going to our house meetings, and I've never looked back since. I think the book of James is brilliant, and it certainly hit it home for me. After that I started reading all about Jesus and reading the rest of the Bible. And now i love reading and pondering on the things of God. It's a true blessing to know the living God!

Danoh

Though I wouldn't go so far as to assert all one needs is one book and or passage of the Bible...

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

At the same time, Yeah to the passage you cited from James

For though James was written to members of the Twelve Tribes of Israel (James 1:1) who had scattered themselves abroad as instructed (Matt. 10:23) upon the persecution that arose about Stephen (Acts 8:1-4; Acts 11:19) and THEY were all zelous of the Law (Acts 21:20), but those Jews and Gentiles under Paul were NOT under the Law (Acts 21:20, 25; Rom. 7: 5), at the same time, I keep in mind what the Apostle Paul reminded the Romans of...

How that...

Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

And also, what Paul reminded Timothy...

2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

So, yeah, there are things such as that reminder in James 1:5 that you cited there, that can serve for our learning and towards strengthening our sense of hope toward God.

In other words, although there are things that differ as to OUR instruction in righteousness, and THEIRS: there are things in BOTH their instruction and ours, that can aid "our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope."

So, yeah...

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

:thumb:

Last edited:
It was reading the book of James that sent the sword straight into me. I've been brought up to believe in God, and my uncle and mum used to talk to me about the things of God. But I lived my own life and didn't read the Bible very often.

My Bible was on a shelf in my bedroom, and every now and again is look up at it and guiltily look away. Then one day I thought, no I'll read. I randomly opened at the book of James. Read it all, and that was it. I started reading the Bible all the time, and my husband read it with me, and we started going to our house meetings, and I've never looked back since. I think the book of James is brilliant, and it certainly hit it home for me. After that I started reading all about Jesus and reading the rest of the Bible. And now i love reading and pondering on the things of God. It's a true blessing to know the living God!

An interesting comment, and true of a lot of people, maybe every Christian. Not only James, but people strongly drawn into the word of God by other books, showing how God deals with the individual and the power of His word, generally. You seem to hear quite a bit more about Romans in this regard, too, at least from theologians. To me, it was the gospel of John, the words of the Lord Jesus, His uncompromising truth and vision of all things that made perfect sense. James would have had less meaning to me, at that time of youth. It also points out how nothing of God's word is superfluous, common sense we wouldn't have a whole Bible of His word if that were the case, rather only James or John, for instance.

The entire Bible takes on huge meaning, once you see the unified message that is Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ from Genesis to Revelation. In my life, I've found a special depth in Psalms one doesn't quite find in the New Testament, something personal that reaches into the heart of the human experience and that living relationship with God on a day to day level, during times of trouble have even found Psalms like some magic medicine. Not sure everybody realizes this, but the Holy Spirit did not make His first appearance at Pentecost. David was highly spiritual, don't know of another man aside from the Lord Himself that the Lord outright said was a man after His own heart, 1 Samuel 13:14, Acts 13:22. Generally speaking, there's more talk of the deceitful heart of man in scripture, for God to say anybody is after His heart a really big deal, so I always thought David a special study. As to the Holy Spirit:

Psalms 51

11 Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.

Of course, most neglected in mainstream Christianity is Revelation, but a book that comes with a blessing to study, and it does bless. It spells out the end of things, has warnings of false religion to the churches, which, at least to me, orients one to what's important, and it's not the carnal, world system, destined to go up in smoke, as it were. You look into the maw of the apocalypse, suddenly the party, football or "Dancing with the Stars" lose a lot of shine. Speaking of James, he also did mention corroded gold and silver as a witness against people and it eating them like fire, had an mini-apocalypse going on. James is amazing, in my case for the more matured Christian, was an acquired taste, you maybe more mature out of the gate? I do recall most needing the Lord Jesus to say listen-up, here's the way it is via John, which brilliantly begins, out of the gate, that Jesus Christ is God, in plain English, which really, really got my attention to slowly read and listen hard to this Man. At the time, I also loved how the Lord Jesus unabashedly bashed the devils of His day, fearlessly told the hypocritical religious elites they were the likes of the offspting of vipers, whitewashed graves. What a Guy! It appealed to that rebellious part of our growing up, but in a positive light, deeper than any political matter. The Lord Jesus got to the heart of the matter, for the world and everybody in it. I suddenly realized all the problems were lack of repentance and reformation of mankind, a fix required of the inner man, before the outer problems can be fixed. To this day, our societies have the cart before the horse, have not seen anything since to alter that truth, hence the apocalypse an inevitable.

Whatever the case, the whole Bible is the word of God and worthy, is saying something to somebody, throughout, that the Spirit of Christ is dealing with.

t
In other words, although there are things that differ as to OUR instruction in righteousness, and THEIRS: there are things in BOTH their instruction and ours, that can aid "our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope."

God is speaking to all mankind, from Genesis 1. When He speaks to anybody, it is a lesson for all. You'll find only cults rip pages from scripture, the common thread I've found is unregenerate man wanting to think he's in control, that he requires no total surrender to the Lord and what goes with this fallen nature, a lack of repentance, fake religion, cheap grace, cheap blood of Christ. You see that unregeneracy in their spirit of anger and meanness that is worse than a pack of wolves. And too many people on message boards are trying to argue with these cultish people, who have already heard it all and roundly reject the whole gospel.

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
I did regret posting this as soon as I had done it. James isn't actually that succinct but is very good with quite a few gems of wisdom.

But many of the books are very good.

It's when people call the whole Bible God's word that my brain cries out NO.

All those bits in the middle, jeleous God, horrible wrathful God , NO that is not my God, YHWH is not my God!

James says I can ask God and I will receive and this has happened many times.

The best argument for saying YHWH isn't the creator is that Our Creator wouldn't have a chosen people.

SaulToPaul 2

I did regret posting this as soon as I had done it. James isn't actually that succinct but is very good with quite a few gems of wisdom.

But many of the books are very good.

It's when people call the whole Bible God's word that my brain cries out NO.

All those bits in the middle, jeleous God, horrible wrathful God , NO that is not my God, YHWH is not my God!

James says I can ask God and I will receive and this has happened many times.

The best argument for saying YHWH isn't the creator is that Our Creator wouldn't have a chosen people.

Thanks for being honest.

Zeke

Though I wouldn't go so far as to assert all one needs is one book and or passage of the Bible...

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

At the same time, Yeah to the passage you cited from James

For though James was written to members of the Twelve Tribes of Israel (James 1:1) who had scattered themselves abroad as instructed (Matt. 10:23) upon the persecution that arose about Stephen (Acts 8:1-4; Acts 11:19) and THEY were all zelous of the Law (Acts 21:20), but those Jews and Gentiles under Paul were NOT under the Law (Acts 21:20, 25; Rom. 7: 5), at the same time, I keep in mind what the Apostle Paul reminded the Romans of...

How that...

Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

And also, what Paul reminded Timothy...

2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

So, yeah, there are things such as that reminder in James 1:5 that you cited there, that can serve for our learning and towards strengthening our sense of hope toward God.

So, yeah...

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

:thumb:

Which means when you speak those thoughts will manifest in you're future seeing we are made in the image of God except for females seeing sherman doesn't think their part of the Divine nature.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The book of James was written to the scattered twelve tribes of Israel and not to the Gentiles. James 1-1 "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting."

Yes indeed, wasn't it Jesus who said there are multiple avenues to the Father, one way for Israel and a totally different way for everyone else?

Also, multiple gospels ... some gospels say Jesus is the Christ and other gospels say Jesus is the Christ. All we have to do is pick one.

beameup

The UK is modern day Ephraim.

And according to Mormonism, the Levites fled to North America. :rotfl:

Newsflash: all 12 Tribes are currently living in Israel, but they
won't be given their territorial allotment until Messiah comes.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
And according to Mormonism, the Levites fled to North America. :rotfl:

Jereboam established a different priesthood and Levites did not serve as priests.

There was no reason for Levites to go to Israel, they stayed in Judea.

I suspect the Mormon theory is not correct.