Alcoholism and Native Hawaiians

Kit the Coyote

There is a genetic factor in alcoholism and other addictive behaviors. Having those factors present doesn't make you an alcoholic but it does make it more likely that you will develop such addictions. I've not read any scientific studies on the subject of native populations but I suspect that you would find that genetic trait runs in native Hawaiians. There are other environmental factors involved as well so, it doesn't mean all Hawaiians are alcoholics, just that there is a higher chance of any one individual becoming one.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
There is a genetic factor in alcoholism and other addictive behaviors. Having those factors present doesn't make you an alcoholic but it does make it more likely that you will develop such addictions. I've not read any scientific studies on the subject of native populations but I suspect that you would find that genetic trait runs in native Hawaiians. There are other environmental factors involved as well so, it doesn't mean all Hawaiians are alcoholics, just that there is a higher chance of any one individual becoming one.

I believe that too. I know I can have a drink and not care for another, or not care to drink for months.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
“And be not drunken with wine, wherein is riot, but be filled with the Spirit; speaking one to another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; giving thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; subjecting yourselves one to another in the fear of Christ.”
**Ephesians‬ *5:18-21‬ *ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/eph.5.18-21.asv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonderdog

“And be not drunken with wine, wherein is riot, but be filled with the Spirit; speaking one to another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; giving thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; subjecting yourselves one to another in the fear of Christ.”
**Ephesians‬ *5:18-21‬ *ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/eph.5.18-21.asv

I just got ushered out of a restaurant for laughing my butt off after some grappa.

Sad when someone gets so drunk they need to be removed from a restaurant.

MennoSota

"It was found that Native Hawaiians use more alcohol than the other major non-Caucasian ethnic groups residing in Hawaii, and have higher rates of problem drinking which include both acute (binge) and chronic drinking."

Hawaiians reported a statistically significantly higher rate (3.7%) of taking ‘a drink in the morning to steady my nerves or to get rid of a hangover’ than non-Hawaiians (1.3%).

Why.
There are a lot of factors as to why indigenous people's have high rates of alcoholism. Perhaps genetics. Perhaps the stress of not fitting into traditional tribal culture and not fitting into mainstream US culture. The sense of being a failure at both can be terribly depressing. Perhaps mixed into that is demonic efforts that play into depression.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
There are a lot of factors as to why indigenous people's have high rates of alcoholism. Perhaps genetics. Perhaps the stress of not fitting into traditional tribal culture and not fitting into mainstream US culture. The sense of being a failure at both can be terribly depressing. Perhaps mixed into that is demonic efforts that play into depression.

Whatever it is it’s bad.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
However I’m half white and have beer at least once a day but haven’t been drunk in over 25 years

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is a genetic factor in alcoholism and other addictive behaviors...

Not so:

Aboriginal people and alcohol: Not a genetic predisposition

Social conditions create a predisposition for alcoholism, medical expert says, not genetics

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/...lcohol-not-a-genetic-predisposition-1.2660167

I wonder what the alcoholism rate amongst aboriginal people who have accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior is? Chances are that the paganism that runs rampant amongst aboriginal people has a lot to do with their addictions.

MennoSota

However I’m half white and have beer at least once a day but haven’t been drunk in over 25 years

Which half, top or bottom...right side or left? smh, who cares about pigment of skin. Skin pigmentation has nothing to do with alcoholism.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Which half, top or bottom...right side or left? smh, who cares about pigment of skin. Skin pigmentation has nothing to do with alcoholism.

97f288c61cd55be1c2fefe6a4b9ddbb3.png

Kit the Coyote

Not so:

Aboriginal people and alcohol: Not a genetic predisposition

Social conditions create a predisposition for alcoholism, medical expert says, not genetics

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/...lcohol-not-a-genetic-predisposition-1.2660167

I wonder what the alcoholism rate amongst aboriginal people who have accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior is? Chances are that the paganism that runs rampant amongst aboriginal people has a lot to do with their addictions.

Why did you cut off the rest of the post which says 1. I don't know for sure that genetics is a factor; 2. that even if genetics is a factor there are other factors; and 3. environmental factors (such as social conditions) are involved too?

I would agree that religion does help some people deal with alcoholism, so your proposed study would likely show lower rates but Islam would work just as well. I think the social conditions you point to are more relevant than paganism.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Why did you cut off the rest of the post which says 1. I don't know for sure that genetics is a factor; 2. that even if genetics is a factor there are other factors; and 3. environmental factors (such as social conditions) are involved too?

I noticed that you didn't supply any evidence to make your case that alcoholism is genetic.

I would agree that religion does help some people deal with alcoholism, so your proposed study would likely show lower rates but Islam would work just as well.

The barbarians of Islam are prohibited to consume alcoholic beverages. I guess when they mutilate women for various reasons allowed under Sharia law, they want to be sober enough to enjoy the experience.

I think the social conditions you point to are more relevant than paganism.

The article stated that, I didn't. Christianity and thus being filled with the Holy Spirit helps control and often times takes away harmful desires.

Kit the Coyote

I noticed that you didn't supply any evidence to make your case that alcoholism is genetic.

IT is so commonly known I didn't think I had to.

Alcohol use disorder, the medical term for alcoholism and alcohol abuse, has been linked to some specific genes. Having a close relative, such as a parent or sibling, who struggles with alcohol use disorder increases the chances that a person will also struggle with the same addiction.
Is Alcoholism Hereditary or Genetic?

Research shows that genes are responsible for about half of the risk for AUD. Therefore, genes alone do not determine whether someone will develop AUD. Environmental factors, as well as gene and environment interactions account for the remainder of the risk.

Multiple genes play a role in a person’s risk for developing AUD. There are genes that increase a person’s risk, as well as those that may decrease that risk, directly or indirectly. For instance, some people of Asian descent carry a gene variant that alters their rate of alcohol metabolism, causing them to have symptoms like flushing, nausea, and rapid heartbeat when they drink. Many people who experience these effects avoid alcohol, which helps protect them from developing AUD.
Genetics of Alcohol Use Disorder

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
There’s also a sexual addiction amongst some races as well. Studies show that pubic hair on the head means sex on the mind more than the straight hairs.
Fascinating research.