About that atheism thing…

noguru

The God of gaps? Sure. A thing may appear miraculous that isn't. That's not really an argument against miracles.

But as Purex pointed out in the previous post, relying on the determination of "supernatural event(s)" as evidence for God leads us down the exact road which you would like closed. People begin to see everything they do not understand in the natural world as "supernatural" and therefore their evidence of God. So when natural explanations for those events are disclosed, we must move our justification of our faith to another still existing mystery of the natural world.

This is exactly why a long time ago I realized that I have faith because of my understanding, rather than where I lack understanding.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
But as Purex pointed out in the previous post, relying on the determination of "supernatural event(s)" as evidence for God leads us down the exact road which you would like closed. People begin to see everything they do not understand in the natural world as "supernatural" and therefore their evidence of God. So when natural explanations for those events are disclosed, we must move our justification of our faith to another still existing mystery of the natural world.
Presumes a God of the gaps as the prime mover. I don't think it ever really was, though absent science or with limited means to investigate by that light man tried his best to integrate his natural experience with his subjective intuition. I love science. I think it opens the mechanism of God's work to our inspection and there's nothing inherently adversarial between religion and science. That's the work of biased, hostile men on either side of the coin.

This is exactly why a long time ago I realized that I have faith because of my understanding, rather than where I lack understanding.
I have faith in my experience of God and find my understanding is open to growth in both particular and general appreciation. :cheers:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
These are comments based on ego, rather then on reality.
I left your judgment of me in place and omitted your moving on to tell the greater part of humanity its business regarding religion (and, by the way, you don't really have my part of this right) because on the whole you just stepped into one you dug via that criticism. :)

Seriously, how can you miss that? How can you fail to read over it and go, "Oh, well I can't send that out, can I?"

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
mir·a·cle

from the latin: miraculum (object of wonder)

Job 37:14 Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God.

Psalm 40:5 Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.

see how easy this stuff is to understand if you don't try to brainiac it?

PureX

I left your judgment of me …
I was not judging you. I don't know you, and I'm no one's judge, anyway. I was judging your comment, and the idea that appeared to me to be lurking within it.
… in place and omitted your moving on to tell the greater part of humanity its business regarding religion (and, by the way, you don't really have my part of this right) because on the whole you just stepped into one you dug via that criticism.
The "greater part of humanity" has mostly used it's concept of God/gods as a kind of Divine Magician to appeal to when we could not control things for ourselves, to our own satisfaction. And I really don't think I'm insulting anyone or wildly over-stepping my intellectual bounds in expressing this observation. Appealing to the gods when we cannot enact our own will in life is and has always been the main purpose of the god ideal and of the practice of religion. I grant that there are other ideals, and other purposes to which some small number of we humans have put god to use in our lives, but these are the exceptions to the more common purpose.

Also, I was not responding to your entire post, only to the part I copied, because that's the part I felt most related to the substance of the topic of the moment.

I wish you had taken the time to respond to the actual content of my post, instead of defending yourself against some unintended slight. As we humans move forward through the course of our evolution, we are going to find ourselves changing our concept of God as our knowledge and limitations change relative to the world around us. And it's already happening, and has been happening for some time. God is becoming less and less the 'Mighty Magician' and more an internal spiritual guide: something we use not so much to protect us from the bad juju in the world around us, but to help us find and maintain some inner peace. In essence, to protect us from our own inner turmoil.

This whole thread seems to be about the idea of letting go of the traditional God as great judge and super-magician, (and dropping God all together as a result) and so I was trying to move the discussion toward perceiving and using God as something else. Because that's where I think the future of "God", is.

noguru

Job 37:14 Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God.

Psalm 40:5 Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.

see how easy this stuff is to understand if you don't try to brainiac it?

Well actually it is people like you who muddy up the water initially. Then it takes some patience as well as sorting of debris to clarify things again. So if you just shut up, there won't be any problems.

Selaphiel

Evoken said:
Yes, I don't think that an infinite regress involving a linear series of causes is necessarily incoherent; indeed Aquinas, for example, didn't find the idea of the universe being eternal albeit with God as it's efficient cause "as if a foot were always in the dust from eternity" impossible. Rather, he believed that the claim that the universe was created ex nihilo was an article of faith which could not be demonstrated.

I can agree with that, but I would have to qualify it. I think an infinite regress involving a linear series of causes is possible in principle. I'm more skeptical of positing only contingent realities though, whether finite or infinite in number. I think the insight of requiring a necessary reality is valid even if you do not posit a beginning in time. To me, the idea of only contingent realities is ultimately incoherent. I think that part of St.Thomas can be salvaged without preserving the faulty Arisotelian physics. It does not prove God of course, but it is as you put it, a solid preamble of sorts.

I am honestly not familiar with the history. Do you see it as an integral part of your upbringing, culture and heritage and so decide to take part in it because of that? Not saying there is anything wrong with that, of course

I already wrote you a message about this, but I will write it here as well. No, the church played no role in my life until I was around 23-24. I wasn't some zealous atheist either, just a typical rather indifferent agnostic, but I did pick up an interest for studying religion around the age of 18. Rather than going from church to theology, I went from theology to the church to put it like that.

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I was not judging you.
Here's a test. Ask someone you pass on the street a question. Then, whatever their answer say to them, "Your are comments based on ego, rather then on reality." Then ask them if they felt your response was personal and judgmental.

Let us know how that turns out. :plain:

I was judging your comment,
Comments don't have egos. People do. But at any rate I wasn't so much offended as left shaking my head, given what followed. Ah, well.

The "greater part of humanity" has mostly used it's concept of God/gods as a kind of Divine Magician to appeal to when we could not control things for ourselves, to our own satisfaction.
I find that statement remarkably condescending and assumptive and contrary to good statistical modeling.

And I really don't think I'm insulting anyone or wildly over-stepping my intellectual bounds in expressing this observation.
I believe you and that leaves me equal parts bemused and horrified.

Appealing to the gods when we cannot enact our own will in life is and has always been the main purpose of the god ideal and of the practice of religion.
Same answer beginning with "that".

I wish you had taken the time to respond to the actual content of my post, instead of defending yourself against some unintended slight.
I didn't think you intended it. I think you're ill considered, both in your particular there and your general feeling/thoughts about the role of religion and its adherents.

As we humans move forward through the course of our evolution, we are going to find ourselves changing our concept of God as our knowledge and limitations change relative to the world around us.
I think you're wrong as that might be applied to Christendom unless someone is, under that color, somehow clinging to the gap business, which I don't believe is properly applied to the orthodox Christian approach.

This whole thread seems to be about the idea of letting go of the traditional God as great judge and super-magician, (and dropping God all together as a result) and so I was trying to move the discussion toward perceiving and using God as something else. Because that's where I think the future of "God", is.
I think the problem here is one of misplaced faith and a tendency of the modern intellectual to mistakenly assume God must be reconciled to his understanding.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
noguru said:

noguru

resurrected's lesson in stupidity said:

What is your point, oh wise or not so wise one?

zippy2006

Chiming in...

Chiming in...

Just some related ideas...

That hope which you speak of must, like the trust we spoke of above, be grounded in something otherwise it may as well be a false hope; however worthy of investment such hope may appear to be in the surface.

1. “SPE SALVI facti sumus”—in hope we were saved, says Saint Paul to the Romans, and likewise to us (Rom 8:24). According to the Christian faith, “redemption”—salvation—is not simply a given. Redemption is offered to us in the sense that we have been given hope, trustworthy hope, by virtue of which we can face our present: the present, even if it is arduous, can be lived and accepted if it leads towards a goal, if we can be sure of this goal, and if this goal is great enough to justify the effort of the journey. Now the question immediately arises: what sort of hope could ever justify the statement that, on the basis of that hope and simply because it exists, we are redeemed? And what sort of certainty is involved here?

Faith is Hope

2. Before turning our attention to these timely questions, we must listen a little more closely to the Bible's testimony on hope. “Hope”, in fact, is a key word in Biblical faith—so much so that in several passages the words “faith” and “hope” seem interchangeable. Thus the Letter to the Hebrews closely links the “fullness of faith” (10:22) to “the confession of our hope without wavering” (10:23). Likewise, when the First Letter of Peter exhorts Christians to be always ready to give an answer concerning the logos—the meaning and the reason—of their hope (cf. 3:15), “hope” is equivalent to “faith”. We see how decisively the self-understanding of the early Christians was shaped by their having received the gift of a trustworthy hope, when we compare the Christian life with life prior to faith, or with the situation of the followers of other religions. Paul reminds the Ephesians that before their encounter with Christ they were “without hope and without God in the world” (Eph 2:12). Of course he knew they had had gods, he knew they had had a religion, but their gods had proved questionable, and no hope emerged from their contradictory myths. Notwithstanding their gods, they were “without God” and consequently found themselves in a dark world, facing a dark future. In nihil ab nihilo quam cito recidimus (How quickly we fall back from nothing to nothing)[1]: so says an epitaph of that period. In this phrase we see in no uncertain terms the point Paul was making. In the same vein he says to the Thessalonians: you must not “grieve as others do who have no hope” (1 Th 4:13). Here too we see as a distinguishing mark of Christians the fact that they have a future: it is not that they know the details of what awaits them, but they know in general terms that their life will not end in emptiness. Only when the future is certain as a positive reality does it become possible to live the present as well. So now we can say: Christianity was not only “good news”—the communication of a hitherto unknown content. In our language we would say: the Christian message was not only “informative” but “performative”. That means: the Gospel is not merely a communication of things that can be known—it is one that makes things happen and is life-changing. The dark door of time, of the future, has been thrown open. The one who has hope lives differently; the one who hopes has been granted the gift of a new life.

-Spe Salvi

So we're back to the real point, which isn't that a person can choose a worse context, but the why of choosing what runs contrary to our nature and happiness absent a compelling reason. Why make the worse choice when it's no more objectively true?

Let us then examine this point, and let us say: ‘Either God is or he is not.’ But to which view shall we be inclined? Reason cannot make you choose either, reason cannot prove either wrong.

Do not then condemn as wrong those who have made a choice, for you know nothing about it. ‘No, but I will condemn them not for having made this particular choice, but any choice, for, although the one who calls heads and the other one are equally at fault, the fact is that they are both at fault: the right thing is not to wager at all.’

Yes, but you must wager. There is no choice, you are already committed. Which will you choose then? Let us see: since a choice must be made, let us see which offers you the least interest. You have two things to lose: the true and the good; and two things at stake: your reason and your will, your knowledge and your happiness; and your nature has two things to avoid: error and wretchedness. Since you must necessarily choose, your reason is no more affronted by choosing one rather than the other. That is one point cleared up. But your happiness? Let us weigh up the gain and the loss involved in calling heads that God exists. Let us assess the two cases: if you win you win everything, if you lose you lose nothing. Do not hesitate then; wager that he does exist. ‘That is wonderful. Yes, I must wager, but perhaps I am wagering too much.’ Let us see: since there is an equal chance of gain and loss, if you stood to win only two lives for one you could still wager, but supposing you stood to win three?

[…] (infinite gain, finite loss)

‘I confess, I admit it, but is there really no way of seeing what the cards are?’ – ‘Yes. Scripture and the rest, etc.’ – ‘Yes, but my hands are tied and my lips are sealed; I am being forced to wager and I am not free; I am being held fast and I am so made that I cannot believe. What do you want me to do then?’ – ‘That is true, but at least get it into your head that, if you are unable to believe, it is because of your passions, since reason impels you to believe and yet you cannot do so. Concentrate then not on convincing yourself by multiplying proofs of God’s existence but by diminishing your passions. You want to find faith and you do not know the road. You want to be cured of unbelief and you ask for the remedy: learn from those who were once bound like you and who now wager all they have. These are the people who know the road you wish to follow, who have been cured of the affliction of which you wish to be cured: follow the way by which they began. They behaved just as if they did believe, taking holy water, having masses said, and so on. That will make you believe quite naturally, and will make you more docile (less animalistic).’ – ‘But that is what I am afraid of.’ – ‘But why? What have you to lose? But to show you that this is the way, the fact is that this diminishes the passions which are your great obstacles….’

-Blaise Pascal

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
As some friends and fellow TOLers have noticed, some of whom have sent me messages asking about it (thanks! :)), and for others who have yet to notice but who knew what I previously believed: I no longer consider myself a Catholic nor a theist.

As to what lead to this change, it had been some time in the making, reaching a tipping point about a year and a half ago. But the short of it is that I don’t see the hand of an all loving, knowing and powerful God at work in the world or what is said to be his Church; rather, I see a God who does his hardest to remain hidden and everything unfolding in a way that one would expect if such a God was not active in the world or simply didn’t exist. I find myself in an universe in which no process attests to God's activity within it.

As my faith in God, the supernatural and the Catholic Church waned, I came to a point where I realised that I was not being honest with myself if I continued on that path. The lack of evidence for God and for the supernatural reality entailed by the beliefs I was holding by faith lead to an internal conflict that kept piling up and by the end I came to realise that I was holding on to the faith due to an emotional attachment to it and not because I still believed in it. But there was no integrity to be found in that setup and I got nothing but cognitive dissonance out of it; so I let go.

While I am an atheist now, I do not consider myself a strong/militant atheist, that is, I don’t make the claim that I know for a fact that God does not exists. Nor do I have a penchant for bashing God or religion. Rather, my disbelief arises for the most part from a lack of evidence and this lack of evidence leads me to think the existence of God or the supernatural is unlikely and I thus live my life as if it doesn’t exists. But as new evidence can always emerge which can change one’s mind, I do not adopt the strong/militant stance as some atheists do.

I wasn’t sure at first what to write for this OP, my original idea was to write a longer post detailing everything but I opted instead for not writing an essay and for leaving things a bit less formal and open, letting the thread unfold by itself and then ride along with it.

The above is condensed for the sake of brevity but I’d be willing to expand on it. So, yeah, I’d be open to discuss things and answer any questions you may have about this change. Hopefully it can be done in a friendly, conversational and respectful manner :cheers:

Evo

Have you never ever had any encounter with God, or seen any evidence in your life for His presence?

Do you believe that there is a thing called sin and that it exists in this world?

elohiym

Evoken,

Maybe you missed my response earlier.

... my disbelief arises for the most part from a lack of evidence and this lack of evidence leads me to think the existence of God or the supernatural is unlikely and I thus live my life as if it doesn’t exists.

Did tens of thousands of Israelites conspire to fabricate the history of the Exodus? If those events did not occur, and those recorded miracles were not experienced by tens of thousands of Israelites, why would they subject themselves to such a burdensome legal code and hard life?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Just some related ideas...

1. “SPE SALVI facti sumus”—in hope we were saved, says Saint Paul to the Romans, and likewise to us (Rom 8:24). According to the Christian faith, “redemption”—salvation—is not simply a given. Redemption is offered to us in the sense that we have been given hope, trustworthy hope, by virtue of which we can face our present: the present, even if it is arduous, can be lived and accepted if it leads towards a goal, if we can be sure of this goal, and if this goal is great enough to justify the effort of the journey. Now the question immediately arises: what sort of hope could ever justify the statement that, on the basis of that hope and simply because it exists, we are redeemed? And what sort of certainty is involved here?

Faith is Hope

2. Before turning our attention to these timely questions, we must listen a little more closely to the Bible's testimony on hope. “Hope”, in fact, is a key word in Biblical faith—so much so that in several passages the words “faith” and “hope” seem interchangeable. Thus the Letter to the Hebrews closely links the “fullness of faith” (10:22) to “the confession of our hope without wavering” (10:23). Likewise, when the First Letter of Peter exhorts Christians to be always ready to give an answer concerning the logos—the meaning and the reason—of their hope (cf. 3:15), “hope” is equivalent to “faith”. We see how decisively the self-understanding of the early Christians was shaped by their having received the gift of a trustworthy hope, when we compare the Christian life with life prior to faith, or with the situation of the followers of other religions. Paul reminds the Ephesians that before their encounter with Christ they were “without hope and without God in the world” (Eph 2:12). Of course he knew they had had gods, he knew they had had a religion, but their gods had proved questionable, and no hope emerged from their contradictory myths. Notwithstanding their gods, they were “without God” and consequently found themselves in a dark world, facing a dark future. In nihil ab nihilo quam cito recidimus (How quickly we fall back from nothing to nothing)[1]: so says an epitaph of that period. In this phrase we see in no uncertain terms the point Paul was making. In the same vein he says to the Thessalonians: you must not “grieve as others do who have no hope” (1 Th 4:13). Here too we see as a distinguishing mark of Christians the fact that they have a future: it is not that they know the details of what awaits them, but they know in general terms that their life will not end in emptiness. Only when the future is certain as a positive reality does it become possible to live the present as well. So now we can say: Christianity was not only “good news”—the communication of a hitherto unknown content. In our language we would say: the Christian message was not only “informative” but “performative”. That means: the Gospel is not merely a communication of things that can be known—it is one that makes things happen and is life-changing. The dark door of time, of the future, has been thrown open. The one who has hope lives differently; the one who hopes has been granted the gift of a new life.

-Spe Salvi

Let us then examine this point, and let us say: ‘Either God is or he is not.’ But to which view shall we be inclined? Reason cannot make you choose either, reason cannot prove either wrong.

Do not then condemn as wrong those who have made a choice, for you know nothing about it. ‘No, but I will condemn them not for having made this particular choice, but any choice, for, although the one who calls heads and the other one are equally at fault, the fact is that they are both at fault: the right thing is not to wager at all.’

Yes, but you must wager. There is no choice, you are already committed. Which will you choose then? Let us see: since a choice must be made, let us see which offers you the least interest. You have two things to lose: the true and the good; and two things at stake: your reason and your will, your knowledge and your happiness; and your nature has two things to avoid: error and wretchedness. Since you must necessarily choose, your reason is no more affronted by choosing one rather than the other. That is one point cleared up. But your happiness? Let us weigh up the gain and the loss involved in calling heads that God exists. Let us assess the two cases: if you win you win everything, if you lose you lose nothing. Do not hesitate then; wager that he does exist. ‘That is wonderful. Yes, I must wager, but perhaps I am wagering too much.’ Let us see: since there is an equal chance of gain and loss, if you stood to win only two lives for one you could still wager, but supposing you stood to win three?

[…] (infinite gain, finite loss)

‘I confess, I admit it, but is there really no way of seeing what the cards are?’ – ‘Yes. Scripture and the rest, etc.’ – ‘Yes, but my hands are tied and my lips are sealed; I am being forced to wager and I am not free; I am being held fast and I am so made that I cannot believe. What do you want me to do then?’ – ‘That is true, but at least get it into your head that, if you are unable to believe, it is because of your passions, since reason impels you to believe and yet you cannot do so. Concentrate then not on convincing yourself by multiplying proofs of God’s existence but by diminishing your passions. You want to find faith and you do not know the road. You want to be cured of unbelief and you ask for the remedy: learn from those who were once bound like you and who now wager all they have. These are the people who know the road you wish to follow, who have been cured of the affliction of which you wish to be cured: follow the way by which they began. They behaved just as if they did believe, taking holy water, having masses said, and so on. That will make you believe quite naturally, and will make you more docile (less animalistic).’ – ‘But that is what I am afraid of.’ – ‘But why? What have you to lose? But to show you that this is the way, the fact is that this diminishes the passions which are your great obstacles….’

-Blaise Pascal

Good quotes to a good exchange going between Evo and TH. :up:

shagster01

Evoken,

Maybe you missed my response earlier.

Did tens of thousands of Israelites conspire to fabricate the history of the Exodus? If those events did not occur, and those recorded miracles were not experienced by tens of thousands of Israelites, why would they subject themselves to such a burdensome legal code and hard life?

Here is info on that. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus

The oldest copy we have of Exodus is WAY younger than the time that it is said to have taken place, and well after all involved were long dead. In that case it would only take one man to write it and say it's true, probably from a telephone game type of oral history in which many facts were changed or lost.

Not to mention that it would not be tens of thousands like you said, but over 2,000,000. With people leaving in a line that could be 10 abreast and stretch for 150 miles after plagues that included the slaughter of all Egypt's first borns, you would think that the Egyptians, who were also good record keepers of their history, might have mentioned it somewhere.

Evoken

What types of prayer would God still be answering that you'd see evidence of?

Well, how do you personally know that God does in fact answers prayers? From what I see, whatever the case, no matter who prays, to which god they pray, or what they pray for, there is no statistically different outcome from those who do not pray. Even when it’s efficacy is put to the test via scientific studies, prayer seems to have no real effect. Which is not to say that I don’t recognize the possible emotional and psychological benefits that some people may personally derive from prayer.

If many people have a relationship with God, is that not evidence of some type?

I wouldn’t think so, no. It could just mean that many people find meaning and comfort in religion; not necessarily that there is something supernatural behind that relationship. Here we also run into the same issue of the personal testimony of people who had a religious experience in all the numerous and mutually contradictory religions that exist.

Part of the thought, as you probably know, behind cessationism is that God showing obvious signs actually pushes people away more than it draws them in.

I think that would depend on what type of Cessationism you are referring to; many don’t deny that God performs miracles or signs today; they simply do not see those as apostolic gifts. But if God showing obvious signs actually pushes people away then it raises the question of why he didn’t realize this from the start and refrained from performing such obvious signs in the first place. There is also the fact that God would actually know which people would believe if signs were performed for them, as Christ indicated of Sodom (Matthew 11:23).

From your post to TB, what would evidence for the Catholic sacraments look like?

For one thing, some form of tangible evidence that they actually effect the change in our nature which they are said to do. Like, for example, in baptism where a person by the grace which is literally “infused” in her by the sacrament is said to change from a state of sin, for which she is worthy of eternal suffering, to a state of grace. An actual tangible difference between a person in a state of mortal sin and that same person in a state of grace after coming out of the confessional.

Thanks for your message :cheers:

Evo

Evoken

Well, no. It's a literal description of what you have to believe will happen if you don't believe in an afterlife. Now your "real" is the beginning of assumption.

Rather, the assumption here is that there can be no real and meaningful earthly purpose without there being a cosmic purpose. But there is truly no reason to grant such a premise.

To illustrate, consider a researcher who has set as his purpose in life to find the cure of a deadly disease; a purpose with a clearly positive significance. Considering in this scenario that finding a cure is actually possible and given the need for this cure in society; his purpose has a valid and meaningful rationale. In this case it is valid to say that the his life has purpose and meaning in a real earthly sense and this is not dependent on a cosmic purpose grounded in a religious belief of an afterlife.

In this and any number of similar examples, nature is able to ground and account for any sort of value from which this earthly meaning and purpose might originate.

When we come to life either we serve process itself or a point to the process.

I would actually reject such a dichotomy; rather, we give a point to the process.

Absent God there's no real, literally and actually true sum, only a number of things we choose for a number of reasons.

I‘d say that there is no more real and actually true sum as you seem to see it if God existed than if he did not. If he exists, God could have created a world where there is no afterlife, where humans simply live a finite earthly life and then die.

The real and actually true sum that you allude to is not really grounded in the existence of God per se nor even on the idea that he created a world; but rather in the more specific notion that in order for life to have any real meaning and purpose, for it to be good as a whole, it must last forever.

But as I said above, there is no reason why one should accept such a premise. Just as an individual can look back at her life and judge it as not being good as a whole in light of it’s goodness, accomplishments, achievement of worthwhile goals and the like; so too an individual can judge her life being good as a whole using the same standard. Such judgement is not at all based on the length of the life itself.

Indeed, a short life could well be of great value while a long one may be of little value. If there were immortal beings, they could well lead lives of great or of little value. The mere fact that they last forever wouldn’t be a basis by which to determine the value of their life.

They can be but needn't be consistent and are indistinguishable in value from the next choice which may diametrically oppose it.

It wouldn’t be indistinguishable in value to the valuer.

Something else will continue for it's span, maybe. Maybe not. Whatever it is isn't you.

Of course, I didn’t mean “I” as if implying that some form of my consciousness would continue to live. Rather, my offspring, my legacy, the positive impact I have on others, what I contribute to society, in short, the fruit of that earthly purpose which I set out for myself during the course of my life lives on after I die. Our entire civilization as well as social and scientific progress is based around the notion of building upon the legacy left behind by others.

The cosmos is machinery. It isn't living.

But we are living and, in a sense, are a way by which that “machinery” has come to know itself.

And in the absence of a rational way to distinguish, that which serves our natures best is the better choice.

Herein lies a fundamental difference in our approach to this issue. I disagree that there is an absence of a rational way to distinguish. It looks like you want to frame things so that we evaluate two “contexts” (one of which is not well defined) in an absolute vacuum sans evidence and without consideration as to what context is true; so that we make a choice on a rather fideistic basis by appealing to a subjective feeling of what we may think serves our natures best or what we may consider “psychologically beneficial”.

But I think this approach is misguided. Even if I were to grant the pessimistic conclusion which you believe follows in an universe without God and an afterlife, it doesn’t follows that such a view is necessarily false. We may well regret that something justified by the evidence has pessimistic implications but that in itself is no reason to abandon it.

It isn't uncommon to get wildly different recollections on an event that is know, with certainty (empirically verifiable) to have occurred.

Things is, we can’t know with certainty that the event in question was an encounter with a God, let alone that all these people are referring to the same God. The Hindu, the Buddhist, the Christian, the Pagan, the Muslim and the members of any other religion; all claim to have an experience related to and in accord with the tenets of their religion. In the same way that conflicting eyewitness reports can invalidate and undermine each other; so too the diverse and contradictory nature of these experiences. Taken collectively, they give no good grounds for believing anything about what is said to have happened to the person who has not had such an experience.

I've answered on the demand for empirical proof to settle the point and await the standard that when met would constitute that.

I’ve pointed out in some previous posts of this thread several ways by which such could actually be met.

The God of gaps? Sure. A thing may appear miraculous that isn't. That's not really an argument against miracles.

It is rather interesting that as our scientific knowledge and understanding about the world has increased, we have moved from an age where miracles were common place, where God personally made himself and his will known on a regular basis and where people spoke to God as one speaks to another person; to an age where God is basically hidden and miracles are very much nonexistent.

:cheers:

Evo