about Bob's article on absolute or relative time

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
ThePhy, do you proffessionaly believe that if a way was found to tear the space/time fabric, could they go into a different "time", like in movies and novels?

ThePhy

ThePhy, do you professionally believe that if a way was found to tear the space/time fabric, could they go into a different "time", like in movies and novels?
I haven’t looked into such ideas very much, so my opinion would be as off-the-wall as just about anyone else’s. I’m not sure what it would really mean to tear the fabric of space-time. I am aware of ideas about time travel via worm-holes (see Thorne’s book on same).

I wish I had the time (and requisite mathematics) to dabble in some of these ideas. Sorry I can’t be more precise.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I’m not trying to be obstinate.

In the world we often conceive of objects have a position that we specify by 3 spatial coordinates, say x, y, and z. But then we can rotate our coordinate system so that (unmoved) object has new x, y, and z coordinates. Even though the (x,y,z) values have changed, it is still a perfectly valid way of telling where the object is.

Part of Einstein’s contribution was the realization that time can be similarly treated. Specify where an event happens (x, y, z), and when. There are other ways in which that identical event will have different (x,y,z) coordinates, and it happened at a different time. But again, even though the time at which it happened has changed, that is only because of the coordinate system being used. It is still the same event.

I don’t mean to present an elementary primer on relativity, but to answer your statement about time being a position, in a 4-dimensional (space-time) coordinate system, it is a “position” in that system.

The number system is a mental abstraction. If I combine a pile of 6 rocks with a pile of 9, I will have 15. If some aboriginal who has no counting system does the same, the resulting pile will still be the same.

But if a meteor has to be in a specific place at a specific time to impact the earth, the “time” is as crucial as is the mass or speed or composition of the meteor. The impact can be altered by varying anyone of these quantities.

Running like mad,
ThePhy

You either don't understand my question or you are intentionally avoiding the answer.

I not asking what else time might or might not be, I'm not asking how important it is, I don't care if someone in Australia knows what time it is.

None of that has anything to do with what I am asking you - NOTHING!

And its not just a number system that is a mental abstraction its numbers - period. Number have no meaning outside the system in which they are found - no meaning whatsoever.

So I ask you once again....

Is time a thing (like the Sun or Moon or aluminum or Post Toasties) or is it an idea (like numbers or grammar or love)?

Resting in Him,
Clete

fool

Hall of Fame
Is time a thing (like the Sun or Moon or aluminum or Post Toasties) or is it an idea (like numbers or grammar or love)?

Resting in Him,
Clete

:think:
Not a thing.
Ideas describe it but it's not an idea, more of a property like mass.

ThePhy

Resting in Him,
Clete
When I said changing the time of a meteors impact could substantially alter the effects, I assumed you would understand it is something very real. If you can’t grasp that, I suspect we are using similar terms for different conceptions of time.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:mock: Phy's ability to answer simple questions.

He has a long history of getting them wrong so he's a bit gunshy. :chuckle:

Hey, Phy. If the moon turned into an orange would its orbit change?

How about a banana? :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am aware of ideas about time travel via worm-holes (see Thorne’s book on same)

There are many articles(periodicals) written on the subject, and tearing the fabric. The articles are usually about Enstein in Astronomy or something simliar.

Thanks for input.

ThePhy

:mock: Phy's ability to answer simple questions.

He has a long history of getting them wrong so he's a bit gunshy. :chuckle:

As I already pointed out, and here you again confirm, your interest in more in mockery than an honest exchange of ideas. I leave you to do that alone.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As I already pointed out, and here you again confirm, your interest in more in mockery than an honest exchange of ideas. I leave you to do that alone.

:idunno:

I had a long and involved discussion with you over orbital mechanics which you have no interest in. Now I've made a few light-hearted posts and you're still not interested. I guess you're just a fairly all round boring sorta guy. :chuckle:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let's compare:

Question: What would happen if the moon turned into an apple?
Phy: Orbit would remain the same.
Stripe: Orbit would change.

Question: Is time a thing or an idea?
Phy: :blabla: Everyone Else: :confused:
Stripe: Idea

Question: Can you tear time and travel to other dimensions like in movies?
Phy: :idunno:
Stripe: No.

Come on, Phy. Take a stand for something! :chuckle:

ThePhy

:idunno:

I had a long and involved discussion with you over orbital mechanics which you have no interest in. Now I've made a few light-hearted posts and you're still not interested. I guess you're just a fairly all round boring sorta guy. :chuckle:
Not a few light hearted posts. This site has myriads of threads in which you demonstrate the glee you derive from mocking. You are the antithesis of a Christian who engages in a serious respectful interchange of ideas.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
When I said changing the time of a meteors impact could substantially alter the effects, I assumed you would understand it is something very real. If you can’t grasp that, I suspect we are using similar terms for different conceptions of time.

Answer the question!!!!!!

Jesus! I've never in my life had someone who claims to be scientific simply refuse to give a straight forward answer to a simple question.

I am not stupid, Phy. My six year old understands that if something happens at a particular time the effects are different than they would have been had it happen at a different time. If the lunch bell goes off at 8:30am everyone gets confused. I get that. But it does not answer the question that I know for a fact you're smart enough to understand.

Your reluctance to answer it makes me wonder what the big deal is. I was simply asking a question in order to try to break the log job in the discussion but perhaps I should be looking for an argument to make instead.

If you aren't going to answer the question, would you please just say so? Either that or just answer it for crying out loud. This is getting tedious.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not a few light hearted posts. This site has myriads of threads in which you demonstrate the glee you derive from mocking. You are the antithesis of a Christian who engages in a serious respectful interchange of ideas.
:rotfl:

My stand is that I have no interest in feeding your childishness.

Especially when someone as childish as I makes a correct assertion on orbital mechanics when you, a Physicist, made the wrong call, huh? :chuckle:

At least you do demonstrate how little that label of "Christian" means in your life.

Since when has it been unchristian to mock a guy for refusing to own up to a simple mistake? :idunno:

On the other hand, isn't it bad form for a scientist to hold onto an idea that has been shown wrong?

dan1el

If we keep the Earth still, disregard gravitational forces from the rest of the universe, and use Newtonian mechanics, then no, it won't.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:On the other hand, isn't it bad form for a scientist to hold onto an idea that has been shown wrong?

Political motivation can get ugly. The link is not related to time, just motivation for not telling the truth.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If we keep the Earth still, disregard gravitational forces from the rest of the universe, and use Newtonian mechanics, then no, it won't.

Really?

I think the orbit would change. :)

Let's see what Phy thinks.