A Thought Experiment

djhow

Course not lol He would want to share the food and probably give up his last bit as the food ran out.

Would he share what he had left or choose one to give it to?

djhow

It's a thought experiment :) you are allowed to think and there is no right nor wrong answer :) and thinking is not a sin and can be done openly in the heavenly realms without fear of condemnation and with the assurance of acceptance

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Course not lol He would want to share the food and probably give up his last bit as the food ran out.

Would he share what he had left or choose one to give it to?
He wouldn't have to, in the Christian context. Or, you'd be amazed what he can do with a few pieces of fish and bread. An island of berries? Please. :)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
A Christian, Muslim and Atheist are dropped off on an island and the only food is berries which they must find in order to eat and survive. Each pray for guidance and the Atheist assumes he'll find some eventually. They all go in their own direction and do indeed find berries.

Who did God feed?

the berry bushes

djhow

lol so true but as it's a Christian being Jesus and to avoid the infinite possibilities of when God gets involved we'll keep this thought experiment in the realms of the natural. I do believe in miracles because one happened to me and for no other reason, not even because it says they happen in the Bible.

So getting back to earth I think Jesus might suggest that they plan for food running out and make sure there was more later on?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
A Christian, Muslim and Atheist are dropped off on an island and the only food is berries which they must find in order to eat and survive. Each pray for guidance and the Atheist assumes he'll find some eventually. They all go in their own direction and do indeed find berries.

Who did God feed?
Let's say the island is littered with berries, in some places, and there are no berries in others. Let's further say that there are more than enough berries, and there will continue to be more than enough berries for the three of them, literally 100 times more berries than the three of them will ever need, and all the berries are within a day's walk from their beachhead, in many different directions. Let's say X ventures out determinedly and finds some berries. The others are unlucky the first few times but X was lucky enough to find one of the thousands of berry patches that litter the island.

Instead of searching for more berries, the three nestle into their route back and forth between the one berry patch and their camp.

Years later, X ventures out just to see if there are more berry patches, and X finds another patch. The other two quickly begin harvesting from that patch too. X, feeling encouraged, ventures out again and again and again and finds two more berry patches. Now the three have between them four berry patches, each of which is more than enough for any single one of them. Who owns the fourth berry patch? And if the other two run out of berries through profligacy and negligence, should X be obligated to share with them, or should X demand that the other two go out and find more berry patches themselves because there are plenty of them, you just have to get up and get to work!

djhow

Brilliant I think if there is enough there will be balance. What you said reminded me of the Daisy World Simulation. It's a simulation of a world with a star and the world has white daisies which reflect the heat and black daisies that absorb the heat and no matter how many times they run it, it goes from all white where it gets too cold so the white daisies die off and gives the black daisies a chance to grow and as it gets black it becomes too hot and so they start to die off and eventually "the system" achieves a balance where there is enough black and white daisies for both to survive :) without pre programming it to do that is the cool part. just the conditions and run google it

Last edited:

PureX

Brilliant I think if there is enough there will be balance. What you said reminded me of the Daisy World Simulation. It's a simulation of a world with a star and the world has white daisies which reflect the heat and black daisies that absorb the heat and no matter how many times they run it, it goes from all white where it gets too cold so the white daisies die off and gives the black daisies a chance to grow and as it gets black it becomes too hot and so they start to die off and eventually "the system" achieves a balance where there is enough black and white daisies for both to survive :) without pre programming it to do that is the cool part. just the conditions and run google it
Interestingly, the universe WAS "preprogrammed" to seek balance in that catastrophic cascades end themselves: i.e., they process themselves out of existence. And at some point, we have to concede that the universe exists as it does because there are limitations built into it that dictate how energy can and cannot behave. Thus the catastrophic cascade cannot swallow and annihilate all that exists. Those limitations are the "program parameters" that define all possible existential results … including the phenomena of ongoing balance.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Let's say the island is littered with berries, in some places, and there are no berries in others. Let's further say that there are more than enough berries, and there will continue to be more than enough berries for the three of them, literally 100 times more berries than the three of them will ever need, and all the berries are within a day's walk from their beachhead, in many different directions. Let's say X ventures out determinedly and finds some berries. The others are unlucky the first few times but X was lucky enough to find one of the thousands of berry patches that litter the island.

Instead of searching for more berries, the three nestle into their route back and forth between the one berry patch and their camp.

Years later, X ventures out just to see if there are more berry patches, and X finds another patch. The other two quickly begin harvesting from that patch too. X, feeling encouraged, ventures out again and again and again and finds two more berry patches. Now the three have between them four berry patches, each of which is more than enough for any single one of them. Who owns the fourth berry patch? And if the other two run out of berries through profligacy and negligence, should X be obligated to share with them, or should X demand that the other two go out and find more berry patches themselves because there are plenty of them, you just have to get up and get to work!

When they get to the fourth berry patch there's a 6'4" Samoan transvestite wearing golf shoes so they iron man it off the island and swim for it...

Sent from my iPhone using TOL