A problem with open theism (HOF thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

julie21

Originally Posted by docrob57

There could have been variance in the outcome had different choices been made, but God knows what the choices will be.

Devo in reply to above:Where is the freedom in that?

Why does that it in any way negate our freedom? It clearly doesn't, as our freedom is acted on by us as individuals...with God merely having the 'foreknowledge' of the free will choice we will make.
I know at times what my child will do in a given circumstance, but that does not mean that I have 'negated' in any way his free will to choose the way he eventually does. But my having the sometimes foreknowledge[ as opposed to God's always] , allows me as a parent to set up contingency plans for what will happen when his choice is made.
God doesn't have the problem I have, in not knowing EXACTLY what contingency plan is needed, as He knows EXACTLY what is going to be chosen, and so the future is set from our choices and reactions.

Last edited:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A question for Julie21 and LeeM, and DocRob.

But first, some facts.

God knows the future exhaustively before He creates the world.
He decides (or, has decided, acutally) to create the world in a certain way.
However, if God creates the world differently, all of history is changed.
More to the point, if God creates man differently, things would turn out differently.

So the question: did God actually create anything? or was God simply a slave to His forknowledge and was God unable to deviate from His blueprint thought of in all eternity?

And when that question is answered, see if what you came up with fits with the blueprint that was made. The blueprint includes great evil that God does not want.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
How can you not see it?

Do you think that there is any truth to this intentionally insulting nonsense?

Resting in Him,
Clete

This is an unmerited ad hominem attack. I suppose it could be a lie, but he seems to wrongly believe this about you. For him, it is 'truth'?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Foreknowledge doesn't necessarily equal constraint unless the foreknowledge is exhaustive and perfect. If foreknowledge is perfect it cannot be altered (otherwise it wouldn't be perfect) and therefore the future is constrained to what is contained in that pefect foreknowledge. Can you argue any differently? (that question sort of sounds rude - it isn't intended to be rude).

Calvinists make sense of this with predestination and decrees. This seems to me to be at the expense of libertarian free will.

Arminians resort to simple foreknowledge. This only seems coherent if the future has already happened to be an object of knowledge, which it has not.

Open Theism correctly recognizes that exhaustive foreknowledge and genuine free will cannot coexist. Either we give up exhaustive foreknowledge or free will. This seems hard for some to grasp, but it is logically defensible. Trying to have their cake and eat it too is not possible.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
docrob57 said:
Yes I can.

Going back to my original argument. Free will actions are not uncaused. God should be able to anticipate the outcome of anything that is caused. Unless He is the cause, which, of course, He is not in all cases, he is not constraining the outcome even though He knows it.

High probability/predictability is still not certainty/actuality.
Free will is not cause-effect.

God knows I have to work on Friday. I intend to work on Friday. I may get hit by a car if I ride my bike tomorrow. I may or may not ride my bike and may or may not die if I do ride it. I also might get fired or sick before or during my shift. A family member may commit suicide or get run over and I may not go to work. None of these things are knowable or predictable trillions of years in advance as a certainty. The future has not happened yet. Contingencies preclude exhaustive, certain foreknowledge.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
docrob57 said:
Perfect anticipation is equal to perfect knowledge

Genuine freedom with alternatives and an equal possibility of x or y preclude perfect knowledge. Choice A or B may or may not happen and is unknowable, except as possible, before the choice is made. One can predict what an individual is likely to do, but this is not causative or a necessity. Probability does not exclude out of character choices or other contingencies affecting actual choices and outcomes.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Freak said:
Assuming you like chocolate. Did you choose to like chocolate or did you discover that you, indeed, liked chocolate? Don't worry I'm going somewhere with this.

Clete is someone I'll simply ignore for the time being.

I chose to love the unlovely. I did not know I liked chocolate until I tried it. I discovered I liked chocolate. There are other things that I did not like, but I chose to try them and eventually acquired a taste. I now like them. I could have chosen to never try them again and never develop a taste. I am not sure it is either/or, but both/and. It also varies for what we are talking about. I do not like beer. I could chose to keep trying it, and would probably find a beer I liked. I could never try a beer again, or I could discover I liked some beer, or I could keep chosing to try it until I acquired a taste.

Your point?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
An outstanding question!

No, is the answer.

If there is any uncertainty at all, freedom is preserved. This is why I think I have a bit of a disagreement with what Knight has said. I do not believe that God could know the future exhaustively even if He wanted to, given the way that He has created us. I do not dispute that He could have made a universe and a human race that was completely predictable but I do not believe that He did so. The fact that God knows the future (if in fact He does) is not the only thing that would destroy our freedom. Even the ability to exhaustively predict the future with absolute unwavering 100% accuracy would mean that we do not have a free will. It is the fact that we are free which makes the future unknowable with such precision. It's not that God doesn't know the future and therefore I have a free will but it is rather the opposite of that. It's, I have a freewill, therefore God cannot know the future exhaustively because it is unknowable.

Resting in Him,
Clete

On the mark...hit the nail on the head...well done...some will still not see it, but when the lights go on, they too will have an 'ah hah' moment.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
julie21 said:
Why does that it in any way negate our freedom? It clearly doesn't, as our freedom is acted on by us as individuals...with God merely having the 'foreknowledge' of the free will choice we will make.
I know at times what my child will do in a given circumstance, but that does not mean that I have 'negated' in any way his free will to choose the way he eventually does. But my having the sometimes foreknowledge[ as opposed to God's always] , allows me as a parent to set up contingency plans for what will happen when his choice is made.
God doesn't have the problem I have, in not knowing EXACTLY what contingency plan is needed, as He knows EXACTLY what is going to be chosen, and so the future is set from our choices and reactions.

You are still talking about possibilities and probabilities. Just because you correctly predict some of the future does not mean you could predict all of the future (nor could God). Certainty/actuality is only known as such AFTER the free will choices, not before. Simple foreknowledge or exhaustive foreknowledge is not compatible with future free will contingencies. You do not see this yet, but it is logically defensible.
:box:

julie21

Yorzhik said:
A question for Julie21 and LeeM, and DocRob.

But first, some facts.

God knows the future exhaustively before He creates the world.
He decides (or, has decided, acutally) to create the world in a certain way.
However, if God creates the world differently, all of history is changed.
More to the point, if God creates man differently, things would turn out differently.

So the question: did God actually create anything? or was God simply a slave to His forknowledge and was God unable to deviate from His blueprint thought of in all eternity?

And when that question is answered, see if what you came up with fits with the blueprint that was made. The blueprint includes great evil that God does not want.

The facts... God created the world exactly as He created it, and He did not create it differently to what He wanted His creation of the world to be, therefore with regard to the creation of the world in that 6 day period, things turned out as He created, therefore there was no difference from His original 'creation of the world' plan, to the finished creation within the 6 days.
Evil came into the world as a free will choice, made originally by satan and his minion of fallen angels. This then affected our original parents and so on down the line.
With evil comes the chance to learn...Adam and Eve learnt from the evil which they did as a result of their free will choice, just as many of us do, each ime we make a wrong choice. If we only had the choice of choosing good, then there would not be much choice, would there?

julie21

godrulz said:
You are still talking about possibilities and probabilities. Just because you correctly predict some of the future does not mean you could predict all of the future (nor could God). Certainty/actuality is only known as such AFTER the free will choices, not before. Simple foreknowledge or exhaustive foreknowledge is not compatible with future free will contingencies. You do not see this yet, but it is logically defensible.
:box:

You are really limiting our almighty and powerful God...He can and does predict all of the future.
Certainty/actuality is only known as such AFTER the free will choices, not before.
To US in our very limited capacity as humans, you are correct.
But with God, the all knowing, almighty God, it is known before the event!
Our simple foreknowledge or exhaustive foreknowledge is not compatible with future free will contingencies, because we are mortal , but God is Soooo much more than that! He knows everything to the end of all time.
Why do you people insist on limiting this wondrous and powerful God that we have?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
julie21 said:
The facts... God created the world exactly as He created it, and He did not create it differently to what He wanted His creation of the world to be, therefore with regard to the creation of the world in that 6 day period, things turned out as He created, therefore there was no difference from His original 'creation of the world' plan, to the finished creation within the 6 days.
Evil came into the world as a free will choice, made originally by satan and his minion of fallen angels. This then affected our original parents and so on down the line.
With evil comes the chance to learn...Adam and Eve learnt from the evil which they did as a result of their free will choice, just as many of us do, each ime we make a wrong choice. If we only had the choice of choosing good, then there would not be much choice, would there?

I suspect we all agree with this. Your point?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
julie21 said:
You are really limiting our almighty and powerful God...He can and does predict all of the future.

To US in our very limited capacity as humans, you are correct.
But with God, the all knowing, almighty God, it is known before the event!
Our simple foreknowledge or exhaustive foreknowledge is not compatible with future free will contingencies, because we are mortal , but God is Soooo much more than that! He knows everything to the end of all time.
Why do you people insist on limiting this wondrous and powerful God that we have?

The Open View does NOT limit God. We would reject it if it did.

There is a difference between predicting the future (your words) and knowing it as a certainty before it comes into existence.

If foreknowledge and freedom is incoherent for us, it is also incoherent for God.

Let's start s-l-o-w-l-y.

Does it limit God's omnipotence to say that He cannot create a rock too heavy to lift? This classic stupid question is an absurdity or logical contradiction. It is not a conundrum for God, nor does God's inability to do this limit His omnipotence. God cannot make a square circle. So?!

(you might not understand this yet, but it is defensible):

"As omnipotence is limited by the possible, so omniscience is limited by the knowable. We do not limit omnipotence by denying its power to do impossible or self-contradictory things (make a dog a cat at the same time; make black white; make 2+2=4 and 25 at the same time, etc.); neither do we limit omniscience by denying its power to foreknow unknowable things."

There is a difference between past, present, and future, possible/probable, certain, necessary, and actual (modal logic). Blurring the distinction leads to your wrong conclusions.
:sam:

julie21

Post 781198 was in reference to Yorzhik's question from a previous post.
Godrulz: There is a difference between predicting the future (your words) and knowing it as a certainty before it comes into existence.

If foreknowledge and freedom is incoherent for us, it is also incoherent for God.
Are you kidding? How can anything be incoherent for God? His ways are not our ways and we cannot know all of them....otherwise who would we be?
Bad choice of word useage on my part when it comes to God's part in all of this. Our's is predictive...His is known.

It is not a conundrum for God, nor does God's inability to do this limit His omnipotence. God cannot make a square circle.
This is the One who performs miracles...He has shown us exactly what He can do if He desires to do it...eg water into wine, burning bush, manna from Heaven...I am not going to debate the fact that God can do whatever He pleases, excepting for those things that He has decreed He cannot do as they go against His very nature as God.
If God desires to make His own personal circle into a square, I am sure that He could if He wanted too. See, He is the Creator, thus He can create anything He pleases.At this point in our lives and time, circles are circles and squares are squares. :)

There is a difference between past, present, and future, possible/probable, certain, necessary, and actual (modal logic). Blurring the distinction leads to your wrong conclusions.
That's right...for us that is. And we will one day have the opportunity to see who has actually drawn the right or wrong conclusions.

But you see, it is in all likelihood we 'smart' humans that are blurring the distinctions with the concept of modal logic, but not neccessarily God. He knows it all, without any probability factor needing to be calculated or thrown in on His part, right down the line to eternity.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Julie,

God cannot do the logically absurd. God, no matter how hard He tried could not make a perfect sphere with sharp corners. Not because of any lack of wisdom or power on His part but because it cannot be done at all. It is a self contradictory concept; to do it is to not do it, it is therefore undoable.
There are many such logical contradiction that cannot be done. Knowing (not simply predicting but knowing absolutely) what a person will do 50 years from now if that person has a free will, is one of them. This is again, not because of some lack of power of wisdom on God's part, it has nothing to do with that. It's because freedom of the will and exhaustive foreknowledge are mutually exclusive concepts. You simply cannot have one and the other remain because if God knows what I will do then I have no ability to do otherwise and that's the very definition of what it means to have a free will; the ability to do or to do otherwise.

Resting in Him,
Clete

julie21

Clete: ...if God knows what I will do then I have no ability to do otherwise and that's the very definition of what it means to have a free will; the ability to do or to do otherwise.
The very definition of what it means to have a free will is that God gives us this to make our own choices in life...simple and clear, without your other bit being added on to it.
I do not concede the point you make Clete re our free will being limited by God's foreknowledge of our choices that we do make.
God knows exactly what I am going to do because it is I who is going to do it...not Him commmanding it to be done, but merely His having the sovereign power to know everything there is to know about me, His creation. Therefore I enact my power of free will, as given to me by Him, and He has the foreknowledge of what my choices will be. Without coercion from Him.
Knowing (not simply predicting but knowing absolutely) what a person will do 50 years from now if that person has a free will, is one of them.
For us, yes. For Him, no.

I have to be out early, so must leave off for now. Will look in hopefully later tomorrow night maybe.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
julie21 said:
The very definition of what it means to have a free will is that God gives us this to make our own choices in life...simple and clear, without your other bit being added on to it.
What other bit? I agree that we have free will because God decided to make us with one. But words have meaning Julie and ideas have consequences. You can't just say this is that way and that is this way because you want it to be that way. Contradictions cannot coexist, that's why they call them contradictions.
If having a free will means that I have the ability to do or to do otherwise then God simply cannot know the future because I would not be able to do contrary to His foreknowledge and I would therefore not be free.

I do not concede the point you make Clete re our free will being limited by God's foreknowledge of our choices that we do make.
That's fine. I recommend that you at least make an attempt to refute it Biblically or by sound reason.

God knows exactly what I am going to do because it is I who is going to do it...not Him commanding it to be done, but merely His having the sovereign power to know everything there is to know about me, His creation. Therefore I enact my power of free will, as given to me by Him, and He has the foreknowledge of what my choices will be. Without coercion from Him.
Do not misunderstand me, I am not saying that God's foreknowledge is causing my action nor am I saying that God is using any form of coercion at all. I'm simply saying that if God knows absolutely that I will do a certain thing then I have no ability to do otherwise and I therefore do not have a free will by definition.

For us, yes. For Him, no.
No, you misunderstand. I am not saying that God can't because He is like we are. I'm saying that is cannot be done, period. God cannot do the absurd. He cannot go to a place that does not exist, He cannot make a stone idol more powerful than Himself, He cannot do the logically absurd because to do them it to not do them. It makes no sense to insist that God can do something that remains undone when He's finished.

I have to be out early, so must leave off for now. Will look in hopefully later tomorrow night maybe.
I'll look forward to your response. :thumb:

Resting in Him,
Clete

docrob57

Clete said:
Do not misunderstand me, I am not saying that God's foreknowledge is causing my action nor am I saying that God is using any form of coercion at all. I'm simply saying that if God knows absolutely that I will do a certain thing then I have no ability to do otherwise and I therefore do not have a free will by definition.

No, you misunderstand. I am not saying that God can't because He is like we are. I'm saying that is cannot be done, period. God cannot do the absurd. He cannot go to a place that does not exist, He cannot make a stone idol more powerful than Himself, He cannot do the logically absurd because to do them it to not do them. It makes no sense to insist that God can do something that remains undone when He's finished.
Resting in Him,
Clete

Okay, I will take my turn at taking things a step at a time.

Are free will choices . . .

a. caused by something
b. uncaused phenomenon that just happen

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
docrob57 said:
Okay, I will take my turn at taking things a step at a time.

Are free will choices . . .

a. caused by something
b. uncaused phenomenon that just happen

They are caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.