A portrait of Jesus in a school? Seriously?

Jose Fly

FFRF demands removal of Jesus portrait from Kan. school

"The portrait of Jesus hanging in Royster Middle School must go, the Freedom From Religion Foundation wrote today to Chanute Public Schools, Kansas.

A print of Warner Sallman's "Head of Christ" is prominently displayed in the school. This is "an egregious violation of the First Amendment," said FFRF Staff Attorney Andrew Seidel."

Here's the picture....

xYSC1Cv.jpg

Really? What is it with some of these school officials that they think this sort of thing is legal and acceptable? Are they that clueless about the law, or are they Christian theocrats who don't care about the law in the first place?

Either way, why are such idiots in charge of public education?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Really? What is it with some of these school officials that they think this sort of thing is legal and acceptable? Are they that clueless about the law, or are they Christian theocrats who don't care about the law in the first place?

Either way, why are such idiots in charge of public education?

I do rather enjoy how easy it is to get a rise out of you.

john w

Hall of Fame
I say,"Great!," as no member of the body of Christ should support any portrayal of the Lord Jesus Christ, via pictures, "art," anywhere, whether it be in schools, "church," work, Burger King,....the influence of such idolatry, coming from the religious prostitute, known as the Roman Catholic Organization.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because it's blatantly illegal and unless the school complies, will end up costing taxpayers money (money that should be going to education).
L e t m e s a y t h i s s l o w l y. W h y d o y o u c a r e i f y o u d o n o t b e l i e v e.

PureX

Nobody knows what Jesus looked like. This is a fictional piece of art. It's only Jesus if you pretend it is.
It's a fictional portrait of "Jesus" based on an artist's fantasy.

Why is it hanging in a middle school?

We all know why. It's intended to promote a specific religious idea. Which is not acceptable in a public school, or a public building of any kind. And if the school administrators didn't know this is not acceptable, they should be fired. If they did know and put it there to promote their religion, anyway, they should be fired.

And if anyone here doesn't understand why they should be fired, just imagine that they hung up a fantasy portrait of "Venus" on the wall instead of Jesus.

d3e78046458b3575cc3b3ee68fc7b1af.jpg

Some people are offended by portraits of Jesus just as some people are offended by portraits of Venus. Which is why we don't allow these kinds of promotional images in publicly funded and attended schools.

shagster01

We all know why. It's intended to promote a specific religious idea. .

Will a kid look at that picture and think, "I like the way that guy looks. I'm gonna be a Christian."?

More likely some class clown will draw glasses on him or put a booger in his nose and move on.

Once again, both sides of this argument are stupid.

PureX

Will pure X be banned?
What for? School children go to museums by the busloads and see 18th century paintings like these every day. Are we so mentally and emotionally retarded here on TOL that we can't handle seeing a painting (that reveals nothing of consequence) that school children see every day?

Or are you just hoping to stir up trouble because you're bored?