8/6 Republican Debate Thread

bybee

Who did well? Favorite moment? Who will not last?

Let's hear it.

I just can't get started this early! I baked cookies for my nephew who broke his back.
When we get closer to the finish line I shall try to muster up some semblance of enthusiasm and choose between Tweedledee and Tweedledum ... of course, there could be a third candidate? Tweedledoo?

Quetzal

I just can't get started this early! I baked cookies for my nephew who broke his back.
When we get closer to the finish line I shall try to muster up some semblance of enthusiasm and choose between Tweedledee and Tweedledum ... of course, there could be a third candidate? Tweedledoo?
:coffee:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I think it is amazing how the debate showed how far the GOP has come recently.

The crowd cheered Kasich’s response about gay marriage.

If anyone here still has a critical political memory, last night's reaction contrasted starkly with the 2011 Republican presidential debate in which audience members booed a gay combat veteran for speaking favorably about the repeal of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

SCOTT WALKER...Repeal ObamaCare.
Uh, right. Kick millions to the curb off their health insurance. Great.

JEB BUSH...Trickle down economics again?
When George left office America was losing close to 100,000 jobs a month.
We're supposed to go back to that?

DONALD TRUMP...Single-payer Healthcare?
There may be hope for the GOP yet!

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I thought Kasich actually did quite well. Good track record, seemed polished and sure of himself, no real overt signs of crazy.

Walker's a pan of smarm and Huckabee's a red meat evangelical--nothing's changed. Does Jeb even want to be president? Doesn't seem like it. Rubio's getting ready to get tapped as veep from what I can tell. Rand held his own against the thug from Jersey who serves as their governor.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
John Kasich is a very subtil RINO. I know he supports Obamacare and also admists turning a blind eye to homo behavior. He clearly doesn't love his children.

I want to see the Democrats stand in front of Megyn Kelly and answer real questions not the softballs they get from the liberal media.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Kasich had the home court advantage.

The debate was in Ohio, and Kasich is the governor of Ohio.

No matter what he said, they cheered for him.

Mocking You

Biggest Winners:
(not necessarily who I support, but who I thought did best)

Rubio. Was youthful, energetic, and inspiring. Told his "rags to riches" story and got in a good line about the Dems not having a worthy candidate. Had that leadership vibe.

Cruz: Played the anti-Washington card well and often. Reminded voters he has had consistent conservative stances. Had a list of priorities and action items.

Kasich and Carson: Just by virtue of the fact not many people know about them. They benefited from being on national TV. Kasich was evasive answering the questions and went into the politician mode of listing his successes as governor rather than address the question.

Biggest Losers

Paul: Was a condescending, disruptive jerk (first word I put here, another word for a donkey, was censored.) Went after Trump in the first minute, then went after Christie. Lectured us about the constitution. Gave a weak closing statement. Actually said "I am a different kind of Republican". Twice.

Trump: Likely thrilled supporters but must have turned off casual voters with his insults to women, Mexicans, and others. Said he gives money to politicians of all stripes in order to "get something out of them." When asked what he had gotten from Hillary Clinton he replied that "she came to my wedding." Oh boy, you bought a wedding guest. Also, as a businessman his lame answer about only using bankruptcy four times is like a surgeon saying he's only killed four patients out of the hundreds he's operated on.

Walker: Flat, boring, and uninspiring. Evaded questions. Didn't even use the full 60 seconds for most questions.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Let's hear it.

It wasn't long enough and trump was given way too much time. (if anything he looked even more like a pompous nut to me)

It seemed too much like job interviews than a debate.

Breathe

I liked Rubio, and have since he first entered the race. His answers were clear and concise, and he was very at ease.

Donald Trump didn't really answer any of the questions directed to him, and presented no proof to back up his claims.

republicanchick

Let's hear it.

all did well except (my personal subjective view) Trump, although he d id well a lot of the time. Overall, he comes across as combative, and like he can't bend... Now, that is GOOD... to be sure... We don't want a president who bends to ... the IHateAmericaDeath2America morons... But...

Hey, why I am starting to ramble away?

He messed up with the very first Q... All the qustions following that first one are IRRELEVANT b/c of that first one...

He would not rule out a 3rd party run

That tells us all we need to know about him.

And my guess is that 90% of Conservatives (or more) agree w/ me there..

++

republicanchick

I liked Ted Cruz in the debate.

he didn't get enough time

I like what Bush has done in Florida, was surprised at some of that info... really is a conservative.. or at least most of the time?

But he believes there should be an exception RE abortion .. for rape,incest..

which says that some babies are more equal than others.. Who was it who brought up the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment to defend prenatal life?

But YES! YES! YES!

to that candidate.. I should know who it is, but was distracted a few times during the debate... :rain::mad:

+

republicanchick

It wasn't long enough and trump was given way too much time. (if anything he looked even more like a pompous nut to me)

don't agree w/ last sentence

but agree more/less w/ first

T is inexperienced and I feel he doesn't take criticism well... not good when you are president

But again he messed up with the very first question...

right out the gate...

saying he would not rule out a 3rd party run...

Translation: I don't care if Hellary wins...

He gave $$ to her, you know...

eerie...

___

republicanchick

Biggest Winners:
(not necessarily who I support, but who I thought did best)

Rubio. Was youthful, energetic, and inspiring. Told his "rags to riches" story and got in a good line about the Dems not having a worthy candidate. Had that leadership vibe.

Cruz: Played the anti-Washington card well and often. Reminded voters he has had consistent conservative stances. Had a list of priorities and action items.

Kasich and Carson: Just by virtue of the fact not many people know about them. They benefited from being on national TV. Kasich was evasive answering the questions and went into the politician mode of listing his successes as governor rather than address the question.

Biggest Losers

Paul: Was a condescending, disruptive jerk (first word I put here, another word for a donkey, was censored.) Went after Trump in the first minute, then went after Christie. Lectured us about the constitution. Gave a weak closing statement. Actually said "I am a different kind of Republican". Twice.

Trump: Likely thrilled supporters but must have turned off casual voters with his insults to women, Mexicans, and others. Said he gives money to politicians of all stripes in order to "get something out of them." When asked what he had gotten from Hillary Clinton he replied that "she came to my wedding." Oh boy, you bought a wedding guest. Also, as a businessman his lame answer about only using bankruptcy four times is like a surgeon saying he's only killed four patients out of the hundreds he's operated on.

Walker: Flat, boring, and uninspiring. Evaded questions. Didn't even use the full 60 seconds for most questions.

I more/less agree, but still like Walker... very much...

It could be he was more listening to the others than... well, whatever... don't know.. Only God knows some things...

but yeh, I don't disagree..

___

Quetzal

This seems to be a common opinion. We can assume as the debates go on and the candidates drop, they will begin to spread the time more evenly... I hope...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
This seems to be a common opinion. We can assume as the debates go on and the candidates drop, they will begin to spread the time more evenly... I hope...

I think thats part of the problem, too many candidates. Way too many, which splits and fragments the party.

rexlunae

I thought Kasich actually did quite well. Good track record, seemed polished and sure of himself, no real overt signs of crazy.

I didn't get to see the whole debate, but I thought so too from the bits of it that I saw. It remains to be seen if he turns out to be the Huntsman of this cycle, but I could envision voting for him under some circumstances, unlike the others on stage.

And Nick really hates him, so he must not be all bad.

Walker's a pan of smarm and Huckabee's a red meat evangelical--nothing's changed. Does Jeb even want to be president? Doesn't seem like it. Rubio's getting ready to get tapped as veep from what I can tell. Rand held his own against the thug from Jersey who serves as their governor.

I thought Rand Paul was weak too. That argument he got into with Christie showed him to be a hollow echo of his daddy, maybe a better politician (in the worst sense of that word), but paperweight as far as genuine libertarian ideals. If he really wants to make the case that we need to shut down the bulk surveillance program, he's going to have to do it by embracing the rights that are at stake for their own sake rather than just making silly statements about only listening to the terrorists. I think he actually did more harm than anything to the case for shutting it down.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Rubio did a good job of making people look beyond his gaffs the last time around. But I also get the feeling he's a VP in waiting with a long groom for a serious run later.

No one else in the field did too much to separate. I thought the earlier crowd put out a stronger candidate than the later. Carly Fiorina should be boosted to the A list. She'd be interesting.