1 Timothy 2:1

Pamella

I posted this question in here yesterday, but now it is nowhere to be found. Weird.

I was wondering about the Greek meanings and words here because they repeat themselves in English. I haven't learned how do that yet.

'First of all then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thankgivings be made on behalf of all men...'
As you can see, entreaties, petitions and prayers sound like the same here.

Right Divider

Body part
I posted this question in here yesterday, but now it is nowhere to be found. Weird.

I was wondering about the Greek meanings and words here because they repeat themselves in English. I haven't learned how do that yet.

'First of all then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thankgivings be made on behalf of all men...'
Every language has words that are similar and have some overlap.

genuineoriginal

I use blueletterbible to look at the Greek words and their meanings.

1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;​

supplications g1162 δέησις deēsis
a seeking, asking, entreating, entreaty about a need, indigence, want, privation, or penury

prayers g4335 προσευχή proseuchē
to wish, to pray, to pray for, unto God

intercessions g1783 ἔντευξις enteuxis
meeting with for a petition, supplication, or entreating

and giving of thanks g2169 εὐχαριστία eucharistia
the giving of thanks, mindful of favours, grateful, thankful​

It looks to me as if supplications is all about asking God to fill a need someone has, prayers is about worshiping and praising God, intercessions is about asking God to intervene in events that are happening, and giving of thanks is about thanking God.

DAN P

Hi and there is only one verb tense in 2 Tim 2:1 and that verb is " BE STRONG / ENDYNAMOO " and is used some 48 times in the so-called NT !!

This verb is in the PRESENT TENSE and in the PASSIVE VOICE and in the IMPERATIVE MOOD !!

The Present Tense here means that we are to be in CONTINUOUS action to be Strong in GRACE !!

tHE passive voice means God will always help you to be STRONG in Grace IF you allow Him to help you !!

The IMPERATIVE MOOD is a command to allow the Holy Spirit to turn your life to Him >

#1 , The Gospel is called by this name , GRACE , Acts 20:24 !

#2 , A period of time is called by this name , The Dispensation of the Grace of God , in Eph 3:2 !!

#3 , A throne is called by this name , The Throne of GRACE in Heb 4:16

#4 , We have been saved by GRACE OF God , Eph 2:5 and 8 !!

#5 , We have been JUSTIFIED by GRACE , Rom 3:24

#6 , All believers have been given the GRACE of God , Eph 4:7 !!

#7 , God's abunant Grace is suffecient for us , 2 Cor 12:9 !!

#8 , We live our LIFE by Grace , and not by the Law of Moses , Rom 6:14 !!

#9 , The Prophesied Grace that Peter wrote about in 1 Peter 1:10 and 13 , is related to the SECOND COMING of CHRIST !!

#10 John's mention of " GRACE " will be fulfidded in the n MILLENIUM , John 1:14-17 !!

This is how to be STRONG in GRACE !!

DAN P

!!

Pamella

I use blueletterbible to look at the Greek words and their meanings.

1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;​

supplications g1162 δέησις deēsis
a seeking, asking, entreating, entreaty about a need, indigence, want, privation, or penury

prayers g4335 προσευχή proseuchē
to wish, to pray, to pray for, unto God

intercessions g1783 ἔντευξις enteuxis
meeting with for a petition, supplication, or entreating

and giving of thanks g2169 εὐχαριστία eucharistia
the giving of thanks, mindful of favours, grateful, thankful​

It looks to me as if supplications is all about asking God to fill a need someone has, prayers is about worshiping and praising God, intercessions is about asking God to intervene in events that are happening, and giving of thanks is about thanking God.

Interesting thoughts.
I guess I will take time to use one of the online concordances now that I know they are there.