“We might be living in a very different world for a year or more”

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I'm restarting this thread I began on March 18th, 2020. It was closed due to rounds of insults/name-calling that was started by Trump Gurl. If you are here to troll, just STOP and get lost.This thread is for peaceful discussion about how the coronavirus and containment effort is affecting all of our lives.

I just found this through Joe Murgia's Facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/ufojoe/posts/10219209456340475

“We might be living in a very different world for a year or more.”

Warning: This is going to upset a lot of people. It's the reason why POTUS changed his tune so quickly about Coronavirus in the past few days.

Early on, I downplayed CV a bit and accused others of spreading fear. That's not my intention by sharing this. I just think people need to be educated on what we might be facing as far as our daily lives are concerned. As you read this, you'll see that if we all take social distancing seriously, we can avoid large numbers of people getting infected and dying. But how we do that is going to be a massive challenge. Life as we know it will continue to change. And if this report is accurate, it won't be back to normal in a few months. It's going to take much longer.

This report focuses mostly on Americans but thanks to my interest in UFOs and music, I have friends all over the world. I don't think American lives are more important than a life in say, France, Portugal, Belgium, Denmark, Ireland or Spain. The U.S. is just the focus of this one tweet thread.

I'm pulling this from a Twitter thread and I'll link to mainstream sources in the comments.

Source: Jeremy C. Young
@jeremycyoung
Assistant Professor of History @DixieState
Director, @DSUPolitics
Author: The Age of Charisma (We Grew Up In East Cambridge

We can now read the Imperial College report on COVID-19 that led to the extreme measures we've seen in the US this week. Read it; it's terrifying. I'll offer a summary in this thread; please correct me if I've gotten it wrong.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...YaYCJEDZ-CRC1M

The Imperial College team plugged infection and death rates from China/Korea/Italy into epidemic modeling software and ran a simulation: what happens if the US does absolutely nothing -- if we treat COVID-19 like the flu, go about our business, and let the virus take its course?

Here's what would happen: 80% of Americans would get the disease. 0.9% of them would die. Between 4 and 8 percent of all Americans over the age of 70 would die. 2.2 million Americans would die from the virus itself.

It gets worse. People with severe COVID-19 need to be put on ventilators. 50% of those on ventilators still die, but the other 50% live. But in an unmitigated epidemic, the need for ventilators would be 30 times the number available in the US. Nearly 100% of these patients die.

So the actual death toll from the virus would be closer to 4 million Americans -- in a span of 3 months. 8-15% of all Americans over 70 would die.

How many is 4 million people? It's more Americans than have died all at once from anything, ever. It's the population of Los Angeles. It's 4 times the number of Americans who died in the Civil War...on both sides combined. It's two-thirds as many people as died in the Holocaust.

Americans make up 4.4% of the world's population. If we extrapolate these numbers to the rest of the world (warning: MOE is high here), this gives us 90 million deaths globally from COVID-19, in 3-6 months. 15 Holocausts. 1.5 times as many people as died in all of World War II.

Now, of course countries won't stand by and do nothing. So the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, this time assuming a "mitigation" strategy: all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing.

This mitigation strategy is what you've seen a lot of people talking about when they say we should "flatten the curve": try to slow the spread of the disease to the people most likely to die from it, to avoid overwhelming hospitals.

And it does flatten the curve -- but not nearly enough. The death rate from the disease is cut in half, but it still kills 1.1 million Americans all by itself. The peak need for ventilators falls by two-thirds, but it still exceeds the number of ventilators in the US by 8 times.

That leaves the actual death toll in the US at right around 2 million deaths. The population of Houston. Two Civil Wars. One-third of the Holocaust. Globally, 45 million people die: 7.5 Holocausts, 3/4 of World War II. That's what happens if we rely on mitigation & common sense.

Finally, the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, assuming a "suppression" strategy: isolate symptomatic cases, quarantine their family members, social distancing for the whole population, all public gatherings/most workplaces shut down, schools and universities close.

Suppression works! The death rate in the US peaks 3 weeks from now at a few thousand deaths, then goes down. We hit but don't exceed the number of available ventilators. The nightmarish death tolls from the rest of the study disappear.

But here's the catch: if we EVER relax suppression before a vaccine is administered to the entire population, COVID-19 comes right back and kills millions of Americans in a few months, the same as before.

After the 1st suppression period ends in July, we could probably lift restrictions for a month, followed by 2 more months of suppression, in a repeating pattern without triggering an outbreak or overwhelming the ventilator supply. Staggering breaks by city could do a bit better.

But we simply cannot EVER allow the virus to spread throughout the entire population in the way other viruses do, because it is just too deadly. If lots of people we know end up getting COVID-19, it means millions of Americans are dying. It simply can't be allowed to happen.

How quickly will a vaccine be here? Last week three separate research teams announced they had developed vaccines. Yesterday, one of them (with FDA approval) injected its vaccine into a live person, without waiting for animal testing. That's an extreme measure, but necessary.

Now, though, they have to monitor the test subject for 14 months to make sure the vaccine is safe. This part can't be rushed: if you're going to inoculate all humans, you have to make absolutely sure the vaccine itself won't kill them. It probably won't, but you have to be sure.

Assuming the vaccine is safe and effective, it will still take several months to produce enough to inoculate the global population. For this reason, the Imperial College team estimated it will be about 18 months until the vaccine is available.

During those 18 months, things are going to be very difficult and very scary. Our economy and society will be disrupted in profound ways. And if suppression actually works, it will feel like we're doing all this for nothing, because infection and death rates will remain low.

It's easy to get people to come together in common sacrifice in the middle of a war. It's very hard to get them to do so in a pandemic that looks invisible precisely because suppression methods are working. But that's exactly what we're going to have to do.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The bottom line is that the coronavirus is expected to be about as deadly as the Spanish flu of 1918-1920. The coronavirus will eventually spread throughout the population, but if it spreads too rapidly, hospitals will be overwhelmed. For example, the seriously ill will need ventilators but there are only so many ventilators available in hospitals throughout the country. If they reach max capacity, anyone else who needs one but can't get access will die. That's why schools and non-essential businesses are being told to close, "social distancing" is being recommended, etc. They are trying to slow the spread of the virus down to manageable levels.

With businesses closing, 20% or more of the population may find themselves suddenly without a job. That's why Mit Romney and others are advocating a universal basic income--so people who are forced out of work can still have some money coming in to survive.

People are being told to stay at home unless travel is essential; for example, to shop for groceries. People who test positive for the coronavirus may be forced into quarantine. I've already heard of one case of someone who left a hospital after treatment for COVID-19 and refused to self-quarantine, so the authorities enforced the quarantine on him. This is not a joke. Every effort must be made to slow the spread of this virus.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Do you know anyone who:

1) is obese
2) is over 70 years of age
3) has diabetes
4) has high blood pressure
5) has asthma
6) has heart disease
7) has chronic respiratory disease
8) smokes/vapes
9) is an HIV patient
10) had a bone marrow or organ transplant
11) is being treated for cancer or any of the autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, Addison's disease, celiac disease, multiple sclerosis, pernicious anemia, and psoriasis, increase the risk of developing serious to deadly complications from coronavirus infection. Other autoimmune diseases included in the list are Hashimoto's thyroiditis, autoimmune vasculitis, type 1 diabetes, Graves’ disease, myasthenia gravis, inflammatory bowel disease, and Sjogren's syndrome.

If you or anyone you know fits into any of those categories, they are particularly at risk from this virus.

As if that weren't bad enough, even a few young and fit people are finding themselves in hospitals and on ventilators because of this virus.

Last edited:

chair

Thanks. It's a sobering situation.
We could use some technology that allows social interaction but reduces the risk of infection. SO we can go back to some semblance of normalcy.

Arthur Brain

The bottom line is that the coronavirus is expected to be about as deadly as the Spanish flu of 1918-1920. The coronavirus will eventually spread throughout the population, but if it spreads too rapidly, hospitals will be overwhelmed. For example, the seriously ill will need ventilators but there are only so many ventilators available in hospitals throughout the country. If they reach max capacity, anyone else who needs one but can't get access will die. That's why schools and non-essential businesses are being told to close, "social distancing" is being recommended, etc. They are trying to slow the spread of the virus down to manageable levels.

With businesses closing, 20% or more of the population may find themselves suddenly without a job. That's why Mit Romney and others are advocating a universal basic income--so people who are forced out of work can still have some money coming in to survive.

People are being told to stay at home unless travel is essential; for example, to shop for groceries. People who test positive for the coronavirus may be forced into quarantine. I've already heard of one case of someone who left a hospital after treatment for COVID-19 and refused to self-quarantine, so the authorities enforced the quarantine on him. This is not a joke. Every effort must be made to slow the spread of this virus.

Thank you for restarting this thread and rest assured, I'm not interested in any deviating sidebars or will indulge in any baits. This is serious and a lot more so than I envisaged as little as two weeks ago. It's going to be tough for quite a considerable time I reckon. I went out earlier today to do one of the few things we're allowed to do in the UK now and shop. Wasn't fun. Whereas in normal times it's a given to see many people about and having some social interaction it was just a case of getting the stuff done and get back home. People wearing masks, distanced from each other as per guidelines. Friendly staff at the supermarket to be fair but seeing the counter belts being sprayed down with disinfectant just brought things home all the more. It sucks not being able to meet up with friends and close ones and it's having a significant impact on some I know just in these early stages, which are likely to carry on for weeks and possibly months. These are trying times.

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
Trump's pronouncements about the coronavirus haven't quite panned out

That same stupidity has been said for three years about every single issue and after all the dust settles Trump has always been right, about everything. He will be right about this too.

America won't allow losers like you to send us into a funk.

Last edited:

Trump Gurl

Credo in Unum Deum
The best commentary I have heard on what to do next was from... ...me. :chuckle: I posted it in another thread and decided to give it its own thread.

I applied my thoughts to this last night for a while, and I came up with what I believe to be the correct answer on how to move forward.

President Trump needs to strike a balance now, between the risk of the virus and the need of the country to move forward. That is where we are at now. Continued isolation will destroy the economy, the country, and many lives, especially of lower income families. We are now at a point where we must accept the risk and move on with life. Allow me to give you an example:

Regarding motor vehicles: In 2010 in the USA, there were an estimated 5,419,000 crashes, 30,296 deadly, killing 32,999, and injuring 2,239,000. About 2,000 children under 16 die every year in traffic collisions. Records indicate that there were 3,613,732 motor vehicle fatalities in the United States from 1899 to 2013.

As a country we now accept that we must have so many deaths a year using automobiles. Now certainly we could stop all automobile deaths by ordering no more automobiles to be allowed on the road. If we focus narrowly on that one single goal then we could achieve it by just not allowing any more motor vehicles to run. But of course that would destroy the economy and the country. Therefore as a nation we have come to accept the fact that the risk of vehicle deaths is outweighed the need of the country to deliver goods and the need of people to get to work.

This virus situation is no different. We are now at a point where the danger to the people from The Cure is worse than the danger from the virus! We are now at a point where America must get back to work and accept the risks of the virus the same way we accept the risks from all other diseases, or car accidents, or plane accidents, slipping in the shower, and any number of risks that we take every day just by living life.

This is what President Trump is faced with. He must make a decision and I am sure he will make the right one. Sadly there are millions of little worms and pieces of garbage on the sidelines waiting to take him down and attack him for whatever decision he makes. And of course if he makes no decision they will attack him for that too as well as attack him for the resulting destroyed economy.

Speaking for myself I am ready to take the risk that comes with the existence of the virus and move on with life. I take a risk everyday getting in my car, I take a risk everyday getting in the shower, I take a risk everyday that I could catch any number of diseases. It's time to get back to work and let the medical community continue its good work to lessen and lesson the deaths caused by this as they do the deaths caused by all other diseases.

And that is my comment, the smartest one people will hear by the way.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Thank you for restarting this thread and rest assured, I'm not interested in any deviating sidebars or will indulge in any baits. This is serious and a lot more so than I envisaged as little as two weeks ago. It's going to be tough for quite a considerable time I reckon. I went out earlier today to do one of the few things we're allowed to do in the UK now and shop. Wasn't fun. Whereas in normal times it's a given to see many people about and having some social interaction it was just a case of getting the stuff done and get back home. People wearing masks, distanced from each other as per guidelines. Friendly staff at the supermarket to be fair but seeing the counter belts being sprayed down with disinfectant just brought things home all the more. It sucks not being able to meet up with friends and close ones and it's having a significant impact on some I know just in these early stages, which are likely to carry on for weeks and possibly months. These are trying times.

Interesting - not a single jibe thrown at Trump

and as always, never a mention of your own political leaders

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
That same stupidity has been said for three years about every single issue and after all the dust settles Trump has always been right, about everything. He will be right about this too.

So was he right when he claimed he had shut down the issue down because he shut down travel from China and we would be fine, when he called it a hoax or when he declared a national emergency? Seems those are mutually exclusive.
He is simply a con-man out to enrich himself at your expense. always has been, always will be

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

And the check from Mexico is in which drawer?