‘Liberal elitist’ rips Gatlinburg fire victims as ‘Trump-suckin pond scum’ — and pays

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well, again, it's not so much that freedom of speech is being curtailed but rather the ramifications of it. Someone could choose to attend a Phelps picketing of soldiers' funerals and plaster it all over the net. Can they be surprised if the company fire them the following day because of the damage it could do to their business?

Thats the problem with all the gossip and social media thinking, its creating monsters that want to tell others what to think or be forced into whatever someone else wants to make them to be. (it also creates lemmings, who pretend to think like or believe things they dont so they can either fit in, or not be attacked.

Good idea these days to make sure one doesn't live their entire life online also, and save unpopular comments for a pseudonym name or be ready to not care what others think or do.

Arthur Brain

Thats the problem with all the gossip and social media thinking, its creating monsters that want to tell others what to think or be forced into whatever someone else wants to make them to be. (it also creates lemmings, who pretend to think like or believe things they dont so they can either fit in, or not be attacked.

Good idea these days to make sure one doesn't live their entire life online also, and save unpopular comments for a pseudonym name or be ready to not care what others think or do.

Social media can be as much a curse as a blessing. I rarely use it these days other than to stay in touch with some people I otherwise wouldn't have been able to, and even then I use email in the main once I have. The problem with things like Facebook, Twitter is that it's so easy for people to get wind of what you've done even if you're not actually 'friends' with them. Plenty of companies monitor their employees activity through social media as cynical as that may be.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Social media can be as much a curse as a blessing. I rarely use it these days other than to stay in touch with some people I otherwise wouldn't have been able to, and even then I use email in the main once I have. The problem with things like Facebook, Twitter is that it's so easy for people to get wind of what you've done even if you're not actually 'friends' with them. Plenty of companies monitor their employees activity through social media as cynical as that may be.

Which seems wrong and privacy invading to me, but its not really private when its posted online, is it.

Arthur Brain

Which seems wrong and privacy invading to me, but its not really private when its posted online, is it.

Well, that's the thing, it isn't once you've posted it on the net and especially if it's under your actual name. I reckon everyone's been disgruntled over something at work at some point and chatted about it with a friend or colleague in private where nobody else is privy to it. Do that on Facebook and you're asking for trouble...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Do you think he should have been fired for his own time opinion?

i think employers should have the right to terminate any employee at any time for any reason

and yes, if he was my employee he'd be gone in a heartbeat

You do realise that freedom of speech includes speech you don't personally have to like?

you do realize that freedom of speech is a concept related to governmental regulation and control and isn't applicable to this situation?