Town Quixote's

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Like no one saw you arriving on its heels to illustrate how amused and unconcerned you are...and how devoted to the thread. :eek:

:chuckle: Like the gift that keeps on giving ... that the receivers either re-gift ... or give away at a garage sale.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What is this thread about?
This and that. A lot of it is windows into threads I've found interesting. Look back across it and you'll get the idea. It gets a few trolls. People who love to decry it but always seem to be paying attention to it. God knows why.

And again...

The Saturday Afternoon Gazette​

Talked about faith with Pure...
We do not know that Jesus ever existed. We don't know this because we have no direct proof of it. And we have no direct proof because the evidence we have is all "second hand". There is no direct evidence.
We have accounts from people who knew him and one from a fellow who met him on the road to Damascus. Now you can discount Paul as a liar if you like, but that's not a lack of first hand evidence, only an opinion on it and the author.

And that idea is real, especially to you. But none of this really has much to do with the question of whether or not a man named Jesus of Nazareth lived in Judea 2000+ years ago.
It does to me. And that's where facts and sums and their imprint live or fail to find purchase.

So the Jesus in your mind, as he is based on those stories, is a legendary being. Like it or not, this is just a fact of reality. And "believing in" those legends with all your heart, mind and soul still doesn't change that.
Believing was never meant to alter Christ.

Noted a flaw in aCW's ointment...
Let's be honest. You know that you aren't changing anyone's opinions on these matters. You aren't improving conditions in anyone's life by posting on this forum...

If your were honest, you'd acknowledge that you don't speak for anyone other than yourself (by no means do you speak for everyone).
Here's a better rebuttal. Out of all of those posts, thousands upon thousands, pick two or three where someone said, "You've changed my mind. I see it now and didn't before," or something to that effect. You've made a solid show of speaking to the popularity and response. Four threads, an enormous amount of postings.

A couple of the sort I noted would be a fine way to at least suggest there's more to it than either user name or some of the rest of us currently see it...should be relatively easy.

But he never did.

And as to law and morality within the context of our law...
As a student of civil law, you'd know that the law is a moral teaching.
Our law is a secular instrument. Within the context of the actual law of the land there are any number of moral ills which are permissible...and men must answer to their own conscience in action and to God in the fullness of their existence.

I understand that either man or God is the "supreme authority" when it comes to "belief, opinion' and conduct".
That's not where we disagree. We disagree where you agree with the Imam.

Then responding a few times to my stalker brought out a bit of goofery in an old friend...
Wow, folks sure do manage to change the subject around here. And look, it's TH and his special buddy rolling around together over TOL again! I can't figure out if their obsession is with one other or with themselves.
Like being lectured on self restraint by a hedonist.

We ought to have some sort of TOL pool, "how long can a thread last at TOL before TH and his infatuation crash through it like a couple of teenagers tickling one another."
If you could work a "retards" in that you'd darn near be in line for a POTY.

Sorry anyway, doofus.

For anyone else curiosity on the point, again, just take a look at ok's threads and at mine and look for the other one of us in either. Else, I'll respond to spite when I feel like it, as will you.

Before butting in a bit...
...Jesus' arising from the dead is not a supernatural feat that physically happened so much as it's a symbolic metaphor for what can happen for us all, spiritually, if we take the revelation of Christ into our hearts, minds, and souls.
The devil is in the "so much as".

"Incarnation of God"? Who here can claim to even know what that really means? Let alone claim to know that it's so? Let's say Jesus is the human manifestation of the Divine Spirit that we humans call "God"? Humans are not gods, and Jesus was human. So Jesus was not God.
And that, friend Pure, is why no matter how you label yourself you will, so long as you hold that article of faith, be no more a Christian than I would be a race horse if I dubbed myself Secretariat.

He was the human manifestation/exemplification of God's spirit. Let's try to be specific and leave out the magical thinking as best we can.
If you hold the least glimmer of something willfully transcending the mechanism of our existence as true then the difference between you and a snake handling evangelical is on the order of the genetic distinction between a black man and a white man.

...God transcends our knowledge.
To repeat something from a while ago, a man who can't fathom physics can still add and subtract and in that understand a mathematical truth, understand something real about it.

Interesting conversation you two have going.

Tomorrow? Who can say...maybe a laugh, a joke, a sentiment wasted. ;)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think I like this thread

Appreciated. It's mostly light hearted and a way to run into threads and people you might not otherwise, because there's a lot to see around here.

Now the cost of doing business can be, well:
imagine a third grader who doesn't get enough praise, determinedly scotch taping all his work from school on the front of the refrigerator - pretty pictures, stories with the teachers big red A++ on them, artwork - all just waiting for others to exclaim over and recognize his genius (not to mention his desperate need for recognition and admiration)
Mark, meet sod, aka, koban, aka ok doser, resurrected, resodko etc. He has a peculiar obsession with me. The easiest way to illustrate it is with this thread. He has more posts in Quixote's in his current username than I have in total for all of the threads he's created since his return. Odd fellow.

then, when people he's mad at come along and post their comments over his, it makes him mad and he takes his out and puts it back on top again
A long, long time ago, when he was koban, doser started race baiting and I called him on it. A bit like glory and her God uses rape to punish nonsense. Neither took it well and have been, to one degree or another, going out of their way to tell me and everyone how little they think of me...if a bit often. :eek: :plain:

I repost the Gazette because that's what people come to read. Easy-peasy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He also likes to do that. I had a different aim for the thread at the beginning. Ultimately it became mostly about the digest, which again, is what people come to read. This doesn't really matter to doser. It's just an attention grab.

It's equal parts sad and peculiar.

The latest Gazette can be found using this link.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He also likes to do that. I had a different aim for the thread at the beginning. Ultimately it became mostly about the digest, which again, is what people come to read. This doesn't really matter to doser. It's just an attention grab.

It's equal parts sad and peculiar.

That's an accurate assessment ...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
i disagree - your numbers jump when others are posting on the thread...
Outside of last month toward the end, that's not true, actually. But a little controversy in a dead period will attract interest and the place was lethargic around then.

Quixote's does as well or better, on average, without you or a few malcontents stomping through. Mostly I found it has to do with the regularity of the Gazette. When I posted regularly enough to set one out at least weekly the average is closer to five thousand. When I don't it's closer to three.

In fact, the least attended period in its existence was during the most active period for outside posting, around the inception. I've posted those numbers here or in the Numbers thread. Now that surprised me.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Must be a slow, lonely day at the library. I wonder how long he'll troll this thing?

He's running through his topics. I think all he has left is lawyers and the South and he'll have gone for the cycle. :eek: