Man Manhandled of United Airlines Flight

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Hopefully his settlement and the publicity will shut United down.

Why should the whole company shut down because of the idiot actions of a few?

A few (who lied and said he was disruptive) should be jailed for a false report to police and the ceo should resign for all his lies to the media and they should pay this man and his family out the tail because of their negligence. All employees involved, fired.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm not saying the airline handled it correctly. BUT, we are all under obligation to obey the orders given us when we are in an aircraft...or a ship....or someone else's car or house.

He was already boarded and he has already paid, its contract thing. Several of those workers should be jailed.

glorydaz

He was already boarded and he has already paid, its contract thing. Several of those workers should be jailed.

Yeah, boarded and paid or not....all passengers are subject to the authority of the captain and his crew. Were it not so, then we could have anarchy on board. It's actually in the contract that the airlines can remove any passenger they want for any reason they want.

They handled it badly, but they did have the authority to demand a paying customer deplane....for whatever reason they chose. They will certainly lose a lot of money because they could have handled it better, but I don't think they broke any laws.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yeah, boarded and paid or not....all passengers are subject to the authority of the captain and his crew. Were it not so, then we could have anarchy on board. It's actually in the contract that the airlines can remove any passenger they want for any reason they want.

So if the captain said strip everyone should do it? The last part in bold is false. There are specific guidelines that must occur to remove a paid customer from a flight, which is WHY in this case, the airline lied to aviation authorities and claimed they had a disruptive, beligerant passenger, because that is basis for removal.

They handled it badly
thats an understatement.

but they did have the authority to demand a paying customer deplane....for whatever reason they chose.

No, they had the authority to reject boarding, not to remove for any reason they feel like. The plane was already boarded, and thats why they lied at first and said it was overbooked,and then said a dangerous passenger was on board when it wasnt.

They will certainly lose a lot of money because they could have handled it better, but I don't think they broke any laws.
There would be no basis for a lawsuit, if a law wasnt broken.

fool

Hall of Fame
Why should the whole company shut down because of the idiot actions of a few?

A few (who lied and said he was disruptive) should be jailed for a false report to police and the ceo should resign for all his lies to the media and they should pay this man and his family out the tail because of their negligence. All employees involved, fired.
That's what needs to happen, they need to be made an example of.
This was against their own Terms of Service.
He was not "Involuntarily Denied Boarding" as the CEO implied and that was stupid of him to say. The man was clearly boarded and seated which crosses an important line. All the boarding/not boarding stuff happens at the gate. And then they didn't follow their own protocol to get volunteers to not board after they had screwed up and boarded them.

Now don't get me wrong, I love watching hippies get pepper sprayed and rioters getting throat slammed but after seeing this I actually Googled up the Terms of Service and spent some time reading them. I don't see how they ever got to the point of considering this. That ship had sailed.

glorydaz

So if the captain said strip everyone should do it? The last part in bold is false. There are specific guidelines that must occur to remove a paid customer from a flight, which is WHY in this case, the airline lied to aviation authorities and claimed they had a disruptive, beligerant passenger, because that is basis for removal.

Well, the captain may have to require everyone strip for some reason we don't know of. They may have been informed that someone had smuggled seran gas in the hems of their clothing.

No, they had the authority to reject boarding, not to remove for any reason they feel like. The plane was already boarded, and thats why they lied at first and said it was overbooked,and then said a dangerous passenger was on board when it wasnt.

Their authority doesn't end at the boarding gate. A passenger can fail to obey a direct order mid flight and they have the authority to use any means necessary to gain compliance. They've had to physically restrain people lots of times.

There would be no basis for a lawsuit, if a law wasnt broken.

Of course there would be...a civil suit. Just plain old embarrassment would be a case if they got a liberal jury.

fool

Hall of Fame
Yeah, boarded and paid or not....all passengers are subject to the authority of the captain and his crew.
Because they're responsible for them.

Were it not so, then we could have anarchy on board.
Anarchy is what they had alright.

It's actually in the contract that the airlines can remove any passenger they want for any reason they want.
No, the circumstances are clearly spelled out and this didn't meet any of them.
They already painted themselves into a corner, once they gave him a seat and boarded him.
They could have not boarded him at the gate. Once they boarded him, they boarded him.
He's been boarded.
He didn't climb thru the window.
He didn't shinny up the landing gear.
He was voluntarily boarded by the airline.
What happened to him next was he was De-planed.
You can't try to retroactively deny someone boarding by de-planing them.
The two things have different names because they are different things.

They handled it badly, but they did have the authority to demand a paying customer deplane....for whatever reason they chose.
No they didn't. You can't say there's no food so we have to eat passenger 23a.
The Captain is supposed to fight to the hilt to defend his passenger against those that would eat him.

They will certainly lose a lot of money because they could have handled it better, but I don't think they broke any laws.
They broke all the laws. It will only matter if we make it matter.

fool

Hall of Fame
Well, the captain may have to require everyone strip for some reason we don't know of. They may have been informed that someone had smuggled seran gas in the hems of their clothing.
But it's too late to tell that lie, we know that wasn't the reason.

Their authority doesn't end at the boarding gate.
The responsibility shifts to the Captain.

A passenger can fail to obey a direct order mid flight and they have the authority to use any means necessary to gain compliance. They've had to physically restrain people lots of times.
What they did was outside of the lines.

Of course there would be...a civil suit. Just plain old embarrassment would be a case if they got a liberal jury.
Conservatives don't like getting selected by the thug squad either.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
No al sharpton for dr ho huh? I thought gays were co recipients of discrimination.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
It does not pay off in any possible manner to pull off someone who might scream his head off for any reason, and as it turns out, get hurt.

All the airline had to do is raise the offer high enough, until someone else would have gave up their seat.

United Airlines was stupid to allow this to happen, and the company has suffered. These mindless airline agents should all be fired, as a4t said, they should have been reprimanded immediately, and the CEO should have never said anything critical about the man, or incident, as doing so was a least inept.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Sooo glad we didn't have to hear from Hillary and Hussein on this.
:America Better:

Sent from my iPhone using TOL