creation vs evolution

Interplanner

You might have a difficult time deciding, but there are still only 2 possibilities.
1) Nothing caused everything
2) Something which existed eternally caused everything.

More to the point, the raw, toxic primal conditions supposed by uniformitarian evolution are no place for amazing and delicate creatures to start. A hummingbird has no second chance if the proboscis does not work perfectly the first time. All pollination has to have bee systems working perfectly with it, etc.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
More to the point, the raw, toxic primal conditions supposed by uniformitarian evolution are no place for amazing and delicate creatures to start. A hummingbird has no second chance if the proboscis does not work perfectly the first time. All pollination has to have bee systems working perfectly with it, etc.

You do not understand the basics of evolutionary theory. Trial and error, things do not need to work the first time.

Interplanner

You do not understand the basics of evolutionary theory. Trial and error, things do not need to work the first time.

But they did work. this is the evidence from observing these guys at work now. You simply extrapolate back and realize that there is no time for other forms to work and no conditions. See the list of systems anomalies on THE PRIVILEGED PLANET. The 0s it takes to express the odds for success for the combined rarity of life on earth is longer than one line here in the reply form!

If you had a tape measure from here to the sun, and a marker for the force of gravity, you could not adjust the marker more than 1/2" either direction, or things would go chaotic here on earth. At the same time, the hummingbird proboscis needs to work, the bees need to get to the 'right' plants, kidd goats cannot eat rhododenton, and cochlea cannot be over used or they shatter--all at the same time.

So far as I know the guy who headed up the genome project said the opposite of your last line.

In evolution you essentially have a math formula that says rate x time = product. But they have loaded the time with tons of 0s instead of the rate. That is total assumption.

SonOfCaleb

No, and Science admits this. 50% of scientists say they don't believe in God, but they also say that they cannot say how the universe got started.

Science posits the 'Big Bang Theory' as their answer to 'how' the Universe was started. The gist of the theory is a random singularity of some sort ( a point of infinite density.....) just exploded one day and up popped the universe, the cosmos, the planets, stars life and everything else in it. The sheer absurdity of this theory is difficult to put into words and in my opinion raises far more questions than answers. But i believe it is taught as mainstream theory now if not mainstream 'fact' as Science has proven that the Universe is expanding which i believe is also the main basis for this theorys adoption in scientific circles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

Somewhat ironic that religion requires faith and yet Science seems to require blind faith from its believers...

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Science posits the 'Big Bang Theory' as their answer to 'how' the Universe was started. The gist of the theory is a random singularity of some sort ( a point of infinite density.....) just exploded one day and up popped the universe, the cosmos, the planets, stars life and everything else in it. The sheer absurdity of this theory is difficult to put into words and in my opinion raises far more questions than answers. But i believe it is taught as mainstream theory now if not mainstream 'fact' as Science has proven that the Universe is expanding which i believe is also the main basis for this theorys adoption in scientific circles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

Somewhat ironic that religion requires faith and yet Science seems to require blind faith from its believers...

do you have any evidence that the universe is not expanding?

Interplanner

What is the assumption? Time? Is that the only assumption?

Yes a kabillion years and the absence of an infinite power designing and producing things by speaking them into existence, as the record and the Psalms say.

Ie, I'm not talking about extremely rapid natural processes. I'm talking about a Person producing the "starts" and forms of our world.

There is a way I can grant you some time from the Biblical record, but it is not in the week of creating the local universe and earth.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
So your assumption is the accuracy of the record and your deity "speaking". got it.

And kabillion is not a real number

But wait, what do you mean by "local universe"?

Interplanner

On the assumption of the accuracy of the record:
I don't find any fault with it mentioned in that tribe's documents. It was oral transmission at first, but then Moses wrote it down. When he wrote some of the pages of the Law, he referred back to it, to details about marriage or about the 6 days (leading into laws about the Jewish sabbath). It was taken to be accurate. Several Psalms vouch for it, including the 'speaking-into-existence.' They make no mistakes about other events, so we may assume them to be solid on early Genesis. Then you have Christ a couple millenia later, validating a number of things inside the early (oral) chapters of Genesis, including creation. Finally, you have Paul validating it (this same person who wanted to stop the Christian movement, but who was Jewish) quoting them (early chapters).

So we must at least ask, what are we going to find, now 4 millenia removed?

Now, on a certain detail, I can walk through some points about why I said 'our local galaxy'. In Genesis, Moses had a stylistic structure, something like this:

1, section title
2, existing background
3, new action
4, restatement or summary

There are probably 10 of these in Genesis, which is partly why the most familiar scholars have little doubt of its integrity.

Gen 1:1 Title: In the beginning (God created) the heavens and the earth
1:2 existing condition: the earth was formless and void
1:3+ new action: God creates forms for 3 days (to solve the formlessness: land, sea, atmosphere and nearby objects in space) He then creates 'things' to go in each form: animals/plants, marine life, birds. It is now formed and filled.
1:31 restatement or summary: it was all done (all systems working); it was very good

The reason for allowing for some time is that 'formless and void' is a mysterious condition. The expression appears in a prophet's description of Jerusalem ruined later on. The ruined city is said to be that way. We really don't know what happened in early Genesis, but it is possible that other things were going on, and not good, and stopped before the week we know as creation. We don't know how long either, which speaks to your point.

This is not a fluke of the Hebrew scripture. It compares with many other origin-accounts (cosmologies) from the Ancient Near East: Persian, Hindi, etc. As if to say, yes, there was that other primal world, but the Lord God dealt with it and created this one quickly and wanted man to represent him on this earth. The world as created was not a duality between a dark force and a good one from the beginning. There was a paradise. But things changed later.

My reason for mentioning the local galaxy is the issue of the light on day 1 before the sun on day 3. The tendency in modern times is to try to naturalize all processes, even what happened in the Biblical creation passage, but this clearly does not do. It keeps forcing itself to be treated as a permanent miracle.

The Oxford literary chair C S Lewis did an essay on this fact in GOD IN THE DOCK. "Religion and Science" has the analogy of the regular daily coin being placed in the office drawer. Uniformitarianism can only do mathematics and say that 23 days from now there will be 23 coins more than today. If there is a theft, or a deranged person glued them to the face of the desk shelf or a surplus pile was suddenly found there, we would have no use to speak to the mathematicians anymore; we would need to speak to a detective or a psychiatrist etc. Yet the uniformitarian world expects us to ask it how this world took shape.

Myself, knowing the Grand Canyon, the central Australian theory, and the fossil explosion, I have almost no use for uniformitarianism, compared to catastrophism. However, that takes on events mentioned later in early Genesis, the world deluge, and the dividing of the earth in a tectonic sense. There are many good articles on these things on creationwiki.com.

Interplanner

The Cambrian. Maybe look up that topic on creationwiki and you will find something that rarely gets discussed: that the diversity of fossils happened quickly, relative to total supposed evolutionary time.

This makes 'naturalized' (de-miraclized) thinkers like Hugh Ross (now U Toronto) say that the creation of life on earth took place in a naturalized way about 50-75K ago. Likewise, he says, man (homo sapiens) abruptly shows himself busy with worship, engineering, history. That's a bold step in a sense, but the 'naturalizing' of the miracle of creation is more of a problem, than a help. Nor does it explain many, many anomalies in the fossil record with newer life on top of older. Nor the several findings of soft tissue in dinosaur remains.

The DVD version of GENESIS AS HISTORY is now available, and I defer to that. My book DELUGE OF SUSPICIONS covers a few of these things but was really meant to re-introduce the global deluge to those unfamiliar with support for that, and it is expressed in the structure of a fiction crime story genre. Amazon.com.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
The Cambrian. Maybe look up that topic on creationwiki and you will find something that rarely gets discussed: that the diversity of fossils happened quickly, relative to total supposed evolutionary time.

Ah, the Cambrian Explosion.
1. When did it occur---how long ago?
2. Over what time period?
3. What type of fossils are found there? Any vertebrates?

Last edited:

SonOfCaleb

Does believing in evolution mean that you cant believe in creation?

Yes. They're completely incompatible. Like water and oil.

Evolution posits that Man came from Apes and presumably a slew of other species prior to the Ape which all trace their roots back to 'nothing' with chance as the driving force behind life on Earth and indeed the Universe and everything in it.
Creation posits that God ergo an intelligient designer 'created' everything including life which is not attributable to a random process that also happened to produce conciousness as well. Therefore they are polar opposites.

SonOfCaleb

No one is sure how the universe came about 13+ billion years ago, but there is no need for a god.

I've always found this viewpoint an intriguing one from Atheists. Every cognitive sentient human being knows that a house has a maker. And yet the Atheist would have us believe a 'house' in fact doesnt have a maker. Its somehow capable of producing itself out of nothing, a bit like fiat currency if you will.....How can nothing produce something? The Atheist scoffs and has no problem 'believing' this.

The religious conversely believe a God or at least an intelligient designer did it. In view of the house illustration which seems the more logical position? That's a rhetorical position btw. I get your position on the matter. But i fail to believe how you can consider that Scientific when A) It cant be demonstrated, B) It defys all known laws of physics, C) There is ZERO empircal evidence proving the existence of some random singularity that's apparently responsible for the Universe and life. Basically using any of the scientific conventions that can be used to prove this theory of the Big Bang its decidely UNscientific by sciences OWN criteria. And yet Atheists and believers in the Big Bang believe it?!!? Sounds like religion and science are more similar than science is willing to acknowledge. Science/Church hiearchy and laity included.

jsanford108

No one is sure how the universe came about 13+ billion years ago, but there is no need for a god.

Hello friend,

I am about to unload several questions, which the theories one must ascribe to if one rejects the idea of "God," that arise with theories including evolution, abiogenesis, and the Big Bang. Each of these theories inevitably leads to the next, with the assertion that there is no God.

Evolution: Where and why did life begin?
What cause was there to first evolve? (in reference to all organisms being single celled, there was no need for competition)
How long would it take to evolve?
How does trial and error methods result in complex, yet simple biological functions, such as metabolism or thrombosis?
How do dead/failed organisms communicate to their peers?
How do cells communicate which specific "test" or alteration the are about to perform, or performed?

Abiogenesis: Why did life start?
What caused abiogenesis?
Is it not a "miracle" of improbability?
What is the data that proves this"

Big Bang: What caused the explosion?
Where does life come from?
What holds the sun stationary? (per laws of physics, particularly laws of space, all motion is constant)
Why does current data show recession, not expansion? (red lines)

The Big Bang also must answer "what is nothing?" Since it claims that "something came from nothing." Either the cosmos had a beginning, or it has always been, which leads to questions of origin. The Big Bang also goes against Laws of Thermodynamics. Mainly the 2nd Law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. With all three theories, how can life be more prevalent now, than in origin?

Note all three theories beg the question of life's origins and purpose?

I have a plethora of scientific information which would dispute all three theories, as well as direct quotes from various scientists, both pro and anti, each theory. Those scientists who ascribe to these theories always contradict logic and scientific principles. Those who oppose these theories present naturally occurring evidence to the contrary of each theory. I can provide all this, if you please.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
jsanford108: Quite a Gish Gallop there. But before I attempt to answer, and since you have a "plethora of scientific information", perhaps you can answer the specific questions I raised earlier to Interplanner which no one has addressed
"Ah, the Cambrian Explosion.
3. What type of fossils are found there? Any vertebrates?"

jsanford108

jsanford108: Quite a Gish Gallop there. But before I attempt to answer, and since you have a "plethora of scientific information", perhaps you can answer the specific questions I raised earlier to Interplanner which no one has addressed
"Ah, the Cambrian Explosion.
3. What type of fossils are found there? Any vertebrates?"

Sure, I will answer these questions.

1) The Cambrian Explosion occurred approximately 541 million years ago.

2) The CE would have occurred in Cambrian Period, hence the name, "Cambrian Explosion."

3) the fossils found, if memory serves correctly, were a range of early trilobites and few eukaryotic cells to early crustaceans. Evidence (possibly) was also supportive of predator species, however, no fossils of these species were found. As for vertebrates, I do not recall any being discovered.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

jsanford108

For the record, classifying my response as a "Gish Gallop" is actually inaccurate. For one, I do not ascribe to normal creationist theories, as they choose ignorance and dismissing of evidence in favor of personal bias. And second, all the questions I posed are not small or weak in effect. They aim at the heart of the theories.

The issue with scientific theory is when one makes theological and supernatural conclusions based on nonsupernatual and nontheological evidence. Science by definition is limited to proving natural and physical phenomena; not supernatural or theological.

One can develop theologies based on scientific evidence, however, such conclusions are apart from the science and ethically should not be included therein.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL