BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
logos_x said:
I do find disagreement. ...

Rabbinic teachings describe several different scenarios for what happens to the soul during this period All of them rectify serious flaws in the soul’s matrix.

The Purgatory of the Grave, or the Suffering of the Grave (hibbut ha-kever).

During this time, says the Zohar, “For seven days the soul goes to and fro from his house to his grave, and from his grave to his house, mourning for the body, as it is written: ‘His flesh shall suffer pain for him, and his soul shall mourn for it’ (Job 14:22).” (Zohar I, 218b)

Perdition, or gehinnom.

In Judaism, gehinnom or perdition differs greatly from the concept of hell as described in other major religious faiths. Gehinnom is seen as an intermediary stage where the soul is purified before attaining its next level of existence or eternal reward.

The righteous skip this period entirely as do martyrs. The Jewish concept of hell actually affords an opportunity for elevation of the soul. Of course, this does not mean that hell is a cup of tea. The metaphor of hell being a “consuming fire” is common to both Judaism and Christianity.

http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/web/essays/afterlife03.html

Gehinnom has its foundations in an actual place where a pagan cult conducted rituals that included burning children (see the description in II Kings 23:10 and Jeremiah 7:31). It was associated by Christ with the coming judgment of Israel

Oddly enough, you left out the other side of Sheol, that being Abraham's Bosom. I am glad you can see there is a difference between hell and the lake though, although I would say your take on the lake is a bit RCC. Since Jesus is the one who introduces that idea, I'm not really sure how deep you can trace the Jewish roots of it. Is it that you disagree there were two parts to Sheol? Since that is what the first part of this convo is about. Sheol aka the grave.

Appears so.

Logos, now you agree. So which is it? Do you agree or not? Why is this like pulling teeth? Either we do have the place of "Sheol" aka the grave and it had two sides (hell + AB) and the lake aka "gehenna" aka the "garbage dump" or we don't and you take issue.

I'm not dodging, I answered the questions you asked based on what you asked.
If you want a different answer perhaps it would be fruitful to rephrase the question rather than continually asking the same thing and expecting a different answer.
I do not know how to make the question any easier for you. People only get to die to the flesh once. What do they die to the second time?

Your problem is, you don't recognize what it means to be in subjection to Christ.

This is another rabbit trail. So all I'm going to reply to this is, "Your problem is, you don't recognize what it means to be in subjection to Christ."

Fire is associated with the Spirit more often than any other metephore used in scripture. It is even said that God, the Creator, IS a consuming fire.

It seems strange at first glance to our western perspective that a consuming fire creates everything that is. Fire is dangerous if not in control. But we in modern times have learned that fire is very useful when in the proper hands and in control.

Brimstone is a very interesting word in the greek, and it isn't just thrown in there with nothing to offer us I don't think. According to Thayer's Greek Definitions the word is:

θεῖον
theion
Thayer Definition:
1) brimstone
1a) divine incense, because burning brimstone was regarded as having power to purify, and to ward off disease
Part of Speech: noun neuter
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: probably of G2304 (in its original sense of flashing)

G2304
θεῖος
theios
Thayer Definition:
1) a general name of deities or divinities as used by the Greeks
2) spoken of the only and true God, trinity
2a) of Christ
2b) Holy Spirit
2c) the Father
Part of Speech: adjective
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G2316

G2316
θεός
theos
Thayer Definition:
1) a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities
2) the Godhead, trinity
2a) God the Father, the first person in the trinity
2b) Christ, the second person of the trinity
2c) Holy Spirit, the third person in the trinity
3) spoken of the only and true God
3a) refers to the things of God
3b) his counsels, interests, things due to him
4) whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way
4a) God’s representative or viceregent
4a1) of magistrates and judges
Part of Speech: noun masculine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with G3588) the supreme Divinity

I view the second death as a refiners fire, and in the control of Jesus Christ. It has purpose inline with God's goals to be all in all.
Once that purpose has accomplished what He desires no one will be in it anymore. That purpose is to purify and make new the ones thrown in it.

Fire is also used to show destruction, as in the earth will be consumed with fire, or the pagans making their children pass through fire, which God never told people to do. Like most other things, "what you think" becomes your hermeneutic. Jesus does not speak of the "garbage dump" as a place of refinement but as a place the garbage gets dumped to burn. How often is garbage purified?

The metaphorical "fire and brimstone" tells us it is not just punitive, but also corrective and remedial. It therefore cannot be eternal unless it never accomplishes what is intended, which I think will be quite impossible.

Unless we look at it from the perspective Christ taught it to us in Mark 9. There is no mention of "only for a while". It really could be the "purpose" of the garbage dump is to put garbage in. Said another way, those that do not want to be with God have a place to be away from God.

Me? Pompous?

The thread is here. After pages of trying to get you to even attempt to reply, it was rather presumptuous of you to imply I don't really know what's going on. So if you want to keep that attitude, it just makes you look silly, no skin off my nose, I'll just reply to the pertinent points of your posts.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
logos_x said:
:think: well now, that must present a bit of a conundrum for you...since hell has been used as a motivator for repentance all along.

In life, afterwards didn't seem to do much good for the rich man.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Redfin said:
If you are implying a scenario where the torment somehow produces the grace, then you would be right.

But that is not the Christian Universalist scenario.

Alleged problem solved. :think:

The "problem" as I see it is basing a belief of this hope on nothing more than the folks who argue for it. If the Word stated that promise, we wouldn't be here debating it, but it doesn't. That's a mighty big "if" to rest one's eternity on.

logos_x

Nineveh said:
In life, afterwards didn't seem to do much good for the rich man.

Ok.

So...by that you are implying that there is no hope at all for him...forever. Nothing he can do, nothing we can do, nothing God or Jesus Himself can do...forever.

So now the question is obvious. If it is a hopeless situation after death, even if resurrection is in their future, then why are they even around at all? Why sustain their existence?

If we are talking about an eternal fire, literally, like Kevin thinks it means...WHAT keeps them alive and conscious in the flames? God?

In the new heavens and the new earth, there are referals to sustaining things...a "river of water of life" and "the tree of life" with a different fruit each month of the year for the "healing of the nations".

But in the lake of fire there isn't so much as a drop of water, yet somehow they remain. Nothing is provided but "destructive" and tormenting flames and immortal worms to feed on them...and they still remain, without a glimmer of hope of ever having their lot improve.

What purpose of God is served by that?

I don't think there is any "if" involved. It's ludicrous to even think God has this kind of end in mind for anyone, and that He would find this "just" is just plain sick human "reasoning".

This was not the early christian message. It was imposed when Rome legalized "christianity" and made it an arm of the state. Religion in the hands of Rome was a means of control of the common people, a political tool. Augustine was the first to systematically construct eternal torment as a christian theology, putting down on paper what the minority of christians at the time believed...this later became the only legal form of "christianity". Their entire theological construct was based upon the Latin translation, and was at odds in many ways to the christianity of the greek speaking world that did not know Latin.

These facts are overlooked today...in fact very few are aware of them. "Orthodoxy" wants to maintain a monopoly on Christ. Some fight for this...most of them unwittingly, because they don't realize how wrong the doctrine really is.

So..what would you have me, and people like me, do? Pat the believers in Roman doctrines on their head and say "it's o.k". ?

Well..I could I guess. But what would that do but make them think they have won the day and are therefore "right".

Ecumenicist

Aimiel said:
The fact that grace will be obtained by those who go through torment (in your imagined 'universal' scenario) makes that grace into works, whether you recognize the fact or not. :think:And will be, until the end of this earth.

Grace is the work fo God, not humanity.

Which would be more work on the part of a human being? Enduring torment, or
swallowing foolish pride which prolongs seperation, and accepting Grace?

The prerequisite that damnationalists present for avoiding torment requires a great
deal of effort.

The Pauline doctrine of "Grace, not works" is very very clear. It is by God's Grace,
by Christ's faith, by Christ's sacrifice, that humanity is saved, not by our own works,
and the act of swallowing pride and accepting Grace, or repentence, is a work.

Therefore, since Scripture says that the Grace is already there through Christ, all
that the "works" of repentence provides is awareness of the gift, which is everything.

And for those who cannot or will not perform the "work" of repentence, repentence
is also made available as a gift, as you have pointed out, through the Grace of God.

And God will turn their hearts of stone into hearts of flesh. Thanks be to God, Amen.

logos_x

Nineveh said:
Oddly enough, you left out the other side of Sheol, that being Abraham's Bosom. I am glad you can see there is a difference between hell and the lake though, although I would say your take on the lake is a bit RCC. Since Jesus is the one who introduces that idea, I'm not really sure how deep you can trace the Jewish roots of it. Is it that you disagree there were two parts to Sheol? Since that is what the first part of this convo is about. Sheol aka the grave.

Logos, now you agree. So which is it? Do you agree or not? Why is this like pulling teeth? Either we do have the place of "Sheol" aka the grave and it had two sides (hell + AB) and the lake aka "gehenna" aka the "garbage dump" or we don't and you take issue.

I do not know how to make the question any easier for you. People only get to die to the flesh once. What do they die to the second time?

This is another rabbit trail. So all I'm going to reply to this is, "Your problem is, you don't recognize what it means to be in subjection to Christ."

Fire is also used to show destruction, as in the earth will be consumed with fire, or the pagans making their children pass through fire, which God never told people to do. Like most other things, "what you think" becomes your hermeneutic. Jesus does not speak of the "garbage dump" as a place of refinement but as a place the garbage gets dumped to burn. How often is garbage purified?

Unless we look at it from the perspective Christ taught it to us in Mark 9. There is no mention of "only for a while". It really could be the "purpose" of the garbage dump is to put garbage in. Said another way, those that do not want to be with God have a place to be away from God.

The thread is here. After pages of trying to get you to even attempt to reply, it was rather presumptuous of you to imply I don't really know what's going on. So if you want to keep that attitude, it just makes you look silly, no skin off my nose, I'll just reply to the pertinent points of your posts.

Thats fine. If you find something impertinent I'm not one to argue that point and cause you to respond.

As for presumptuousness, how many of you have implied that I don't know what is going on? The sword cuts both ways.

Now, all of your points above would be cleared up if you really understood what I've been saying all along.

The problem with the doctrine of eternal torment is it takes virtually all references to various judgements and lumps them all together. The most glaring example of this is demonstrated in what your response was above. Every one of your points above are using Biblical references to the judgement coming against Israel, and to the coming Kingdom Age. The Kingdom Age is very much different from the end of all things. Some are included in the Kingdom Age, some do not get to participate in it...and never will...during that Age. It isn't complicated when you are able to discern the difference between these various Ages...but this is something that gets lost in the "eternal torment" doctrine, so you probably don't see it because of what you have been taught.

Now..I could rehash it all here, but what good will it actually do? If, however, you are really interested in figuring out what it is I'm on about...there is a good link in my signiture:
"Martin Zender answers the Baptist Minister". This will clarify virtually everything you are pointing out and arguing.

Now...if you think that people in eternal torment are in subjection to Christ...then you do not understand what it means to be in subjection to Christ.

Aimiel

Dave Miller said:
Grace is the work (of) God, not humanity.
Yes, it is; but only for those who believe in Jesus. All whose names aren't written in The Lamb's Book of Life did not believe.

Ecumenicist

Aimiel said:
Yes, it is; but only for those who believe in Jesus. All whose names aren't written in The Lamb's Book of Life did not believe.

Grace is by definition unconditional, unmerited.

Christ died for us while we were yet sinners.

Aimiel

Dave Miller said:
Grace is by definition unconditional, unmerited.
Because you think that 'unconditionality' applies to those who have died in their sins doesn't mean that it does.
Christ died for us while we were yet sinners.
But He said that those who believe in Him should have eternal life, not those who would be tortured into submission. :devil:

logos_x

Aimiel said:
Because you think that 'unconditionality' applies to those who have died in their sins doesn't mean that it does.But He said that those who believe in Him should have eternal life, not those who would be tortured into submission. :devil:

Nobody is saying anyone will be "tortured into submission".

You appear to be mixing what you think the lake of fire is with what it actually is.

What torments? Is it imposed from the outside (only) or is it the recognition that they ARE wrong.

This is what needs to occur. They need to see their sin for what is really is...and it should be unbearable to them. It should be more than they can bear, they see themselves and what they have done and truely see the ramifications of their sins...all the pain and suffering their selfish desires have wrought.

We should see this clearly when we understand that everything Jesus suffered was because of their sin...not His.

Their desire to be SAVED and their recognition of this need because of the "flames of their torment" brings them to the Grace that does redeem.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
logos_x said:
So...by that you are implying that there is no hope at all for him...forever. Nothing he can do, nothing we can do, nothing God or Jesus Himself can do...forever.

He, like everyone else had/has the same opportunity to repent and call upon God. In Jesus's parable, his opportunity had passed.

So now the question is obvious. If it is a hopeless situation after death, even if resurrection is in their future, then why are they even around at all? Why sustain their existence?

Because the second death isn't about "dying to the flesh" a second time.

Thats fine. If you find something impertinent I'm not one to argue that point and cause you to respond.

As for presumptuousness, how many of you have implied that I don't know what is going on? The sword cuts both ways.

Now, all of your points above would be cleared up if you really understood what I've been saying all along.

The problem with the doctrine of eternal torment is it takes virtually all references to various judgements and lumps them all together. The most glaring example of this is demonstrated in what your response was above. Every one of your points above are using Biblical references to the judgement coming against Israel, and to the coming Kingdom Age. The Kingdom Age is very much different from the end of all things. Some are included in the Kingdom Age, some do not get to participate in it...and never will...during that Age. It isn't complicated when you are able to discern the difference between these various Ages...but this is something that gets lost in the "eternal torment" doctrine, so you probably don't see it because of what you have been taught.

Now..I could rehash it all here, but what good will it actually do? If, however, you are really interested in figuring out what it is I'm on about...there is a good link in my signiture:
"Martin Zender answers the Baptist Minister". This will clarify virtually everything you are pointing out and arguing.

Now...if you think that people in eternal torment are in subjection to Christ...then you do not understand what it means to be in subjection to Christ.

Ok, now that is out of your system, would you attempt to explain what the second death is. If you really just think folks keep dying to the flesh I'll have to accept that is what you believe about it and we can go from there.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Dave?

If a member of a congregation is committing an act of sexual immorality, what would you do? According to Paul, what is a church body supposed to do (please cite the verses)?

logos_x

Nineveh said:
Because the second death isn't about "dying to the flesh" a second time.

Ok, now that is out of your system, would you attempt to explain what the second death is. If you really just think folks keep dying to the flesh I'll have to accept that is what you believe about it and we can go from there.

I agree it isn't just about dying to the flesh. It is about dying to sin..although that is really what is meant by "the flesh".

What it isn't about is making their condition a permanent one.

The people that suffer the second death have not recognized the grace of God, and are therefore hampered by remaining in the condition of sin...even though their sins are paid for, in full. It is the recognition of this that provides torment...but it is not made a permanent condition by God at the point of death. As I said previously in different words...it is not the imposition of a permanent condition, rather the flames of their torment comes from the realization that they have caused great harm, both to their fellow man and to themselves, and need what Christ has done on their behalf. It is not just punitive...but is also corrective and remedial, by causing this recognition of the truth they either ignored while alive or actively resisted.

Ecumenicist

Nineveh said:
Dave?

If a member of a congregation is committing an act of sexual immorality, what would you do? According to Paul, what is a church body supposed to do (please cite the verses)?

Now who's off the subject?

I'll start citing verses when you do.

How does this apply to the conversation of eternal torment?

Ecumenicist

Aimiel said:
Because you think that 'unconditionality' applies to those who have died in their sins doesn't mean that it does.But He said that those who believe in Him should have eternal life, not those who would be tortured into submission. :devil:

If you can't understand the meaning of unconditional, we have a basic communication
problem.

Echoing Logos, not tortured but healed.

Aimiel

Something just occured to me that I've never put into words before today... those who buy into universalism obviously (if they've read The Scriptures) aren't being honest with themselves, so why should anyone expect that they'd ever do otherwise with them? I believe that the first thread that I ever posted in on TOL was about the reality of hell, and I'd heard this even back then, and it keeps coming up in my spirit, but today I was able to put words to it. I remember the first argument I ever got into with anyone about The Bible (before I became Christian) was about the same subject. He said, "A 'loving' God wouldn't create hell." I said that if it is in The Bible it must be true. No one told me to say that. I was raised by atheist parents in a secular school and had un-belief swarming all around me. God gave me the faith to believe Him, and it will never die. His Words are Life and Spirit to those that find them.

red77

Aimiel said:
Something just occured to me that I've never put into words before today... those who buy into universalism obviously (if they've read The Scriptures) aren't being honest with themselves, so why should anyone expect that they'd ever do otherwise with them? I believe that the first thread that I ever posted in on TOL was about the reality of hell, and I'd heard this even back then, and it keeps coming up in my spirit, but today I was able to put words to it. I remember the first argument I ever got into with anyone about The Bible (before I became Christian) was about the same subject. He said, "A 'loving' God wouldn't create hell." I said that if it is in The Bible it must be true. No one told me to say that. I was raised by atheist parents in a secular school and had un-belief swarming all around me. God gave me the faith to believe Him, and it will never die. His Words are Life and Spirit to those that find them.

What a total strawman, after the length of this debate if the best you can do is to claim insincerity on the part of those who believe that God can restore his own world - then you're really running short of arguments.....

logos_x

Aimiel said:

Well, I'm sorry you think this.

Apparently, Christians such as William Law were not being honest with themselves, then.

here is what Law had to say in one of his books, "Affectionate and Earnest Address to the Clergy", :

[Addr-191] Love, goodness, and communication of good, is the immutable glory and perfection of the divine nature, and nothing can have union with God, but that which partakes of this goodness. The love that brought forth the existence of all things, changes not through the fall of its creatures, but is continually at work, to bring back all fallen nature and creature to their first state of goodness. All that passes for a time between God and his fallen creature, is but one and the same thing, working for one and the same end; and though this is called wrath, that called punishment, curse, and death, it is all from the beginning to the end, nothing but the work of the first creating love, and means nothing else, does nothing else, but those works of purifying fire, which must, and alone can burn away all that dark evil, which separates the creature from its first created union with God. God's providence, from the fall to the restitution of all things, is doing the same thing, as when he said to the dark chaos of fallen nature, "Let there be light"; he still says, and will continue saying the same thing, till there is no evil of darkness left in all that is nature and creature. God creating, God illuminating, God sanctifying, God threatening and punishing, God forgiving and redeeming, is but one and the same essential, immutable, never ceasing working of the divine nature. That in God which illuminates and glorifies saints and angels in heaven, is that very same working of the divine nature, which wounds, pains, punishes, and purifies sinners upon earth. And (N.B.) every number of destroyed sinners, whether thrown by Noah's flood, or Sodom's brimstone, into the terrible furnace of a life, insensible of anything but new forms of raging misery till judgment's day, must through the all -working, all- redeeming love of God, which never ceases, come at last to know that they had lost, and have found again such a God of love as this.

[Addr-192] And if long and long ages of fiery pain, and tormenting darkness, fall to the share of many, or most of God's apostate creatures, they will last no longer, than till the great fire of God has melted all arrogance into humility, and all that is SELF has died in the long agonies and bloody sweat of a lost God, which is that all-saving cross of Christ, which will never give up its redeeming power, till sin and sinners have no more a name among the creatures of God.​

Once again, the accusation flies that those that believe that the Cross and the resurrection of Christ Jesus will succeed in saving mankind are somehow shallow in their faith and being dishonest with themselves and others. And the reason is simple, to cause people to doubt the outcome they believe in.

We are expected to bow down and let those accusations speak to those that hear it or read it without offering a rebuttle.

Well, this is very telling of how toxic the faith in eternal torment is, causing those that believe in it to level these statements against those that disagree with them as though their view must be accepted without question. You literally MUST accept their view...or else incure their contempt and their lies about your faith.

Who is really being dishonest under these conditions?

:nono:

Aimiel

red77 said:
What a total strawman, after the length of this debate if the best you can do is to claim insincerity on the part of those who believe that God can restore his own world - then you're really running short of arguments...
As is your wont, you've twisted the words to mean what you want it to mean... I never said that God couldn't do anything, I do, however, also believe what He has said about eternal punishment for unbelievers. It isn't that I'm arguing at all, merely pointing out the foolishness of taking up a position which violates God's Word.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
logos_x said:
I agree it isn't just about dying to the flesh. It is about dying to sin..although that is really what is meant by "the flesh".

Where do we see the second death is "dying to sin"? Are you sure that is what we are dying to in the second death?

Status
Not open for further replies.