Was Jesus a Jew?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Mr. 5020 said:
I suppose we were measuring it by different standards. I was looking at it from the standard of the Jewish leaders, and by their standard He was not a Jew.

When the Jewish leaders petitioned Pilate about punishing Jesus, did they not refer to Jewish law as the basis of their complaint?

ItIsWritten

Mr. 5020 said:
The first member of the Body of Jesus was Jesus?
"firstborn from the dead" + "head of the body"

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead;

Mr. 5020

BillyBob said:
When the Jewish leaders petitioned Pilate about punishing Jesus, did they not refer to Jewish law as the basis of their complaint?
Yes, but I can't say I'm sure what your point is.

Mr. 5020

ItIsWritten said:
Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead;
Woah-dang! Well done.

I don't know if that's the right answer, but you get an "A" for effort.

Mr. 5020

BillyBob said:
My point is that if they did not recognize Jesus as a Jew they would have had no case.
Hmm...interesting point. Not sure that I don't think they were speaking of ethnicity, but I'll look into it.

Mr. 5020

For those that answered "Paul" can you prove it? :D
The Apostle Paul, by his own words in I Timothy 1:15-16 was the first member of the Church, the Body of Christ.
1 Timothy 1:15 KJV
(15) This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Not sure I agree with this interpretation, but there you go.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
ItIsWritten said:
"firstborn from the dead" + "head of the body"

Good answer but Jesus is the head of the Body (the leader or head so to speak) I was asking who was the first member of that Body. Jesus by definition couldn't be a member of His own body of believers for He is what is being believed upon.

justchristian

Body of Christ means in relationship with God right? Just because Adam is no longer part of the body doesnt mean he wasnt the first member in the Garden. Or are people before the coming of Christ excluded from the the body? If not, and Adam did not choose his relationship with God then Noah perhaps?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Mr. 5020 said:
Hmm...interesting point. Not sure that I don't think they were speaking of ethnicity, but I'll look into it.

One more thing.

Do you think there was any differentiation back then between an ethnic Jew and a religious Jew?

This is more of an historical question, but there may be some posters here who have some knowledge about this topic. I do not claim such knowledge, but I have a hunch that they were one in the same.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Act 9:14 And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.
Act 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
Act 9:16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.
Act 9:17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

Mr. 5020

BillyBob said:
One more thing.

Do you think there was any differentiation back then between an ethnic Jew and a religious Jew?

This is more of an historical question, but there may be some posters here who have some knowledge about this topic. I do not claim such knowledge, but I have a hunch that they were one in the same.
I'm honestly not sure, but to say that 100% of people born into a Jewish family practiced Judaism seems implausible.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
Not sure I agree with this interpretation, but there you go.
Very good! You win the booby prize. :D

1Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.

The "chief" in verse 15 literally means first.

Mr. 5020

Knight said:
Very good! You win the booby prize. :D

1Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.

The "chief" in verse 15 literally means first.
I guess I only win half, because I did not guess Paul. I guessed Stephen, Abraham, and the bread at the Last Supper (which I still think is the correct answer). :D

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Mr. 5020 said:
I'm honestly not sure, but to say that 100% of people born into a Jewish family practiced Judaism seems implausible.

Not to me....not 2000 years ago. We know that Jesus practiced, of course. My limited understanding of that time period is that Jews would cast out people from the community for various reasons. Being cast out was certainly unsafe for an individual, that alone would be reason enough to practice the religion.

But we are drifting from the topic a bit. I have one more example that Jesus was acknowledged as a Jew by the Jewish leadership: Jesus was allowed into the Temple.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
I guess I only win half, because I did not guess Paul. I guessed Stephen, Abraham, and the bread at the Last Supper (which I still think is the correct answer). :D
True but you did come up with the proof text. :up:

Mr. 5020

BillyBob said:
Not to me....not 2000 years ago. We know that Jesus practiced, of course. My limited understanding of that time period is that Jews would cast out people from the community for various reasons. Being cast out was certainly unsafe for an individual, that alone would be reason enough to practice the religion.

But we are drifting from the topic a bit. I have one more example that Jesus was acknowledged as a Jew by the Jewish leadership: Jesus was allowed into the Temple.
From what I understand, any Jew (ethnically) was allowed in the temple.

Mr. 5020

Knight said:
True but you did come up with the proof text. :up:
But what about the bread???

Matthew 26:26 KJV
(26) And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.