Scripture. What is considered Scripture?

2003cobra

Almost every English translation has added words to the text that have changed the meaning to make it more understandable to English readers, but loses the accuracy of the Greek.

Luke 3:23-24 YLT
23 And Jesus himself was beginning to be about thirty years of age, being, as was supposed, son of Joseph,
24 the [son] of Eli, the [son] of Matthat, the [son] of Levi, the [son] of Melchi, the [son] of Janna, the [son] of Joseph,​

The genealogy is traced through Eli, Matthat, Levi, etc., but not necessarily through a male offspring of Eli.
The discrepancy between Luke's genealogy and Matthew's genealogy is reconciled for some people by having Eli as Mary's father instead of Joseph's father, which in no way contradicts the text.
Both Matthew and Luke present themselves as genealogies of Joseph.

So describing either genealogy as Mary’s contradicts the Bible.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Did you read the entire quote? He is indeed saying that Joseph was not the son of Heli and instead that the Master was. He is taking the whole passage from Heli to Adam and treating it as one great big ellipsis, (inserting Jesus before every person in the list of names). And that he does because he cannot fathom Luke calling Adam the son of Elohim. But that also is precisely what Luke does, (and the Son of Elohim proclaims that he is both the Protos and the Eschatos). He is making things up to avoid two primary things: to avoid admitting that Luke calls Adam the son of Elohim, and attempting to avoid the problem in the discussion at hand. Moreover what you highlighted says that it (ought not to be) that Joseph might be called the son of Heli, (worded in a more understandable way but saying the same which he says), which is the opposite of what is written in Luke. Here is what he is essentially saying:

He says that to read the text the way it is written is blasphemous because he had no clue who is the First and Last Adam. :chuckle:

I see.

Warning rescinded.

daqq

Almost every English translation has added words to the text that have changed the meaning to make it more understandable to English readers, but loses the accuracy of the Greek.

Luke 3:23-24 YLT
23 And Jesus himself was beginning to be about thirty years of age, being, as was supposed, son of Joseph,
24 the [son] of Eli, the [son] of Matthat, the [son] of Levi, the [son] of Melchi, the [son] of Janna, the [son] of Joseph,

The genealogy is traced through Eli, Matthat, Levi, etc., but not necessarily through a male offspring of Eli.
The discrepancy between Luke's genealogy and Matthew's genealogy is reconciled for some people by having Eli as Mary's father instead of Joseph's father, which in no way contradicts the text.

See how in your quote you have [son] in brackets within the text, (which I highlighted in red)? That is the ellipsis which Lightfoot says should instead be "[Jesus, the son]"(of), but there is no justification for that other than that it allows him to pull the old switcheroo and turn the genealogy into that of Mariam. Moreover the holy seed line is father-to-son from the very beginning, all the way down to the Messiah, including the Matthew genealogy, (and although the Luke genealogy runs in reverse order it is still the same in this respect), so essentially you are saying that the holy seed line from Adam all the way down to Messiah is father-to-son and suddenly at the very end of the line you pull the ole switcheroo and destroy four thousand years of scripture teaching to fabricate a way to uphold a doctrine.

Moreover:

Lol, I just did, moreover Elisheba, ("Elisabeth"), the sister of Nahshon the prince of tribe Yhudah is the mother of the Kohanim: all the sons of Aaron.

Every son and daughter of Ahron is 100% Leviy and 100% Yhudi . . . :chuckle:

2003cobra

Exactly. You ONLY care what it means to you and could care less about anything BUT that. You are egocentric. Someone TRYING to understand another wouldn't be unscrupulous. YOUR shortcoming. Your incredulity is your own expectation and "it doesn't matter whether you got it right or wrong, it was what you were looking for.

Based off of a half-truth? You are a weird fellow. Do you understand 'why' John W calls you a child of the devil? :think:

We shouldn't follow Satan's tactics, even if they worked against a perfect people (so they ARE effective, but produce damage and harm). The ends do not justify the means. If you have to deploy trickery, parlor tricks, slights of hand, or half truths, then you MIGHT want to rethink what you thought you knew. Truth stands all by itself. It doesn't need questionable (to say the least) debate tactics. That you don't think these debate employments of yours are questionable and worse? That's really the question isn't it? :think: Think a little longer why John W thinks you are a child of the devil. It is worth a second glance. You shouldn't use sophistry to try to bend another's will to your own. -Lon
If your worshipping the Bible is a half-truth, it is your own.

I have not used parlor tricks or anything else matching your false accusations. I have used the testimony of the scriptures themselves to show that inerrancy is a false doctrine.

And you have been unwilling to honestly address the errors that I have detailed on this thread.

So you don’t have the high ground here, Lon. I have presented errors in the text and you have dismissed them as “discrepancies,” which is a misstatement. They are errors, as they are mutually exclusive versions of history. No, you are the one using trickery — and it is transparent.

Either Jesus told the disciples to find and bring two animals, or He told them to find and bring one animal. Both can’t be true. At least one of the gospels misquotes Jesus.

Either the centurion came to Jesus and spoke to Jesus or he did not. Both can’t be true.

I could list more, and I have, yet you have pretended these errors don’t exist.

John W calls me a child of the devil because he is under the KJV delusion. And the method in which he did so revealed his true nature and error. What is strange is why you would endorse, rather than rebuke, such shameful actions.

Lon

If your worshipping the Bible is a half-truth, it is your own.

I have not used parlor tricks or anything else matching your false accusations. I have used the testimony of the scriptures themselves to show that inerrancy is a false doctrine.

And you have been unwilling to honestly address the errors that I have detailed on this thread.
The WHOLE evangelical and Orthodox (Catholic and Orthodox) world. Most 'higher criticism' scholastics are dead. Your heyday was long ago past and your position was completely rejected. You simply must understand your minority place. It is, in fact, heresy in the Catholic Church.

So you don’t have the high ground here, Lon.
As I said, I believe it is, morally, scripturally, and by the numbers.
Not only that? Statute of limitations forbids history from retrying one found innocent of allegation.
In a word? Alleged. Allegations are simply accusations. History has found them to be without merit.
There are a good many reasons inspiration equates to inerrancy such that it is the high ground.

You MUST acquit without substantial reasonable doubt.

I have presented errors in the text and you have dismissed them as “discrepancies,” which is a misstatement. They are errors, as they are mutually exclusive versions of history. No, you are the one using trickery — and it is transparent.
Nope. I have NO idea who heard what, and neither do you. If it is a 'translation' error, lobby to fix it, else leave it alone. When is YOUR version of the bible coming out without errors?
Either Jesus told the disciples to find and bring two animals, or He told them to find and bring one animal. Both can’t be true. At least one of the gospels misquotes Jesus.
Yet, you've no idea but a 'preference' to believe. Me? I don't think I'd make a mountain out of a molehill even 'if' I believed one was an error. It wouldn't be worth my time. In a nutshell, there is sufficient reason to give benefit of the doubt away from accusation, thus innocent.

Either the centurion came to Jesus and spoke to Jesus or he did not. Both can’t be true.
Again, any doubt, and you can't say 'error.' CAN'T. It is but an accusation and no proof. You can't know so shouldn't be making a big deal. Let me entertain your whim for a second: What does it matter if scripture IS inerrant on everything else? What do you win? Nothing. There is NOTHING to be gained by even 'entertaining' your accusation. Even you say it isn't significant. Why this inquisition then? Something to be dropped from a 'guilty' verdict no? Why are YOU making it a big deal? You remind me of a busybody with nothing better to do than cause trouble over something that you yourself say is not any big deal. Much ado about nothing? Looks like. Why? WHY would you choose to disfellowship and create antagonism? Again, you gain nothing. Eerdman didn't trip over inerrancy, he tripped over faithlessness and rejection of the Lord Jesus Christ, you know, the CENTER of the gospel. There is no stumbling over details if one has the Savior.

I could list more, and I have, yet you have pretended these errors don’t exist.
View attachment 26098

John W calls me a child of the devil because he is under the KJV delusion.
It COULDN'T be because you use the same tactics? :think:

2003cobra

The WHOLE evangelical and Orthodox (Catholic and Orthodox) world. Most 'higher criticism' scholastics are dead. Your heyday was long ago past and your position was completely rejected. You simply must understand your minority place. It is, in fact, heresy in the Catholic Church.

As I said, I believe it is, morally, scripturally, and by the numbers.
Not only that? Statute of limitations forbids history from retrying one found innocent of allegation.
In a word? Alleged. Allegations are simply accusations. History has found them to be without merit.
There are a good many reasons inspiration equates to inerrancy such that it is the high ground.

You MUST acquit without substantial reasonable doubt.

Nope. I have NO idea who heard what, and neither do you. If it is a 'translation' error, lobby to fix it, else leave it alone. When is YOUR version of the bible coming out without errors?

Yet, you've no idea but a 'preference' to believe. Me? I don't think I'd make a mountain out of a molehill even 'if' I believed one was an error. It wouldn't be worth my time. In a nutshell, there is sufficient reason to give benefit of the doubt away from accusation, thus innocent.

Again, any doubt, and you can't say 'error.' CAN'T. It is but an accusation and no proof. You can't know so shouldn't be making a big deal. Let me entertain your whim for a second: What does it matter if scripture IS inerrant on everything else? What do you win? Nothing. There is NOTHING to be gained by even 'entertaining' your accusation. Even you say it isn't significant. Why this inquisition then? Something to be dropped from a 'guilty' verdict no? Why are YOU making it a big deal? You remind me of a busybody with nothing better to do than cause trouble over something that you yourself say is not any big deal. Much ado about nothing? Looks like. Why? WHY would you choose to disfellowship and create antagonism? Again, you gain nothing. Eerdman didn't trip over inerrancy, he tripped over faithlessness and rejection of the Lord Jesus Christ, you know, the CENTER of the gospel. There is no stumbling over details if one has the Savior.

View attachment 26098

It COULDN'T be because you use the same tactics? :think:
As for
History has found them to be without merit.

That is not the case. Your dismissing the errors in this way because you can neither explain nor acknowledge them is not honest.

As for
It wouldn't be worth my time.

This is just more evasion. You have no explanation for the errors, so you add this transparent excuse.

As for
What does it matter if scripture IS inerrant on everything else? What do you win?

One less person presents a false doctrine, setting up the immature in the faith to stumble.

You are greasing the slippery slope on which the immature will fall.

As for
WHY would you choose to disfellowship and create antagonism?

For the good of the Kingdom Of God and to decrease the likelihood that the immature are set up for failure. You should be concerned about the same.

It is wrong to value your comfort above the Kingdom of God and truth. Reconsider your obligations.

As for
It COULDN'T be because you use the same tactics?

Your pretending my posts are anything like John w’s is dishonest. Why dishonor yourself in this way?

2003cobra

The serpent has been thoroughly spanked by Lon, john w, AMR, daqq, steko, Tam and glory. :thumb:

Ah, Patrick, your delusion is as strong as john’s, just different.

And neither of you even try to explain the errors.

It is impolite to call me a serpent, by the way.

But I suppose a lack of civility is low on the list of your errors on this thread.

Lon

As for
History has found them to be without merit.

That is not the case.
Yes, it is the case. A handful of critics isn't 'merit.'

Your dismissing the errors in this way because you can neither explain nor acknowledge them is not honest.
ALL of us??? :think: :noway:

Critics had their day, they were widely seen on PBS among other places. They were soundly rejected.

As for
It wouldn't be worth my time.

This is just more evasion. You have no explanation for the errors, so you add this transparent excuse.
You don't 'get' to make comment. It is mine alone. "It wouldn't be worth my time."
I've already told you 'clearly' why. You make up other reasons but as I said, you don't 'get' to make up 'what I would say' or 'what I mean.'

As for
What does it matter if scripture IS inerrant on everything else? What do you win?

One less person presents a false doctrine, setting up the immature in the faith to stumble.
You've said this before, but 'my' answer is "Not ENOUGH!"
It isn't sufficient reason to make a stink when you aren't questioning anyone's theology. You've said theology is not touched.

Therefore, the "doesn't really matter" er, "Doesn't really matter."
You have taken a small nothing of a tiny molehill and created a mountain and, imho, for no good reason.
The supposed 'stumbler?' Doesn't exist.

You are greasing the slippery slope on which the immature will fall.
No. When you give that all matters of importance are accurate and dare I say 'inspired' you've given too much ground to be of anything but petty and unviable at that point. There is no 'point' to any of this but perhaps stroking your ego over the matter because that can be the only thing that matters. You are way too close to 'inerrancy when it counts' to be of much use. That's why you disagree with Zeke. To me, it looks like fence riding "errors EXCEPT when it counts."
Example: Anything wrong with the Book of Mormon? Just a few errors? Anything wrong with the Urantia Papers? Just a couple of errors?
Huge errors? How do you know? Where is your authority? What would convince anybody? Where is authority found to refute error and heresy?

How about a JW 'translation?' It only has a few errors compared to every other. Close enough for you? Heresy included?

As for
WHY would you choose to disfellowship and create antagonism?

For the good of the Kingdom Of God and to decrease the likelihood that the immature are set up for failure. You should be concerned about the same.

It is wrong to value your comfort above the Kingdom of God and truth. Reconsider your obligations.
Er, as I said, for me, 'even if' I'd not bring it up like you. You've quoted Dr. Wallace enough that 'it isn't a central doctrine.' As such, something to be vehement over? RATHER I don't agree with you, remember? I am arguing with you over it because I disagree with Wallace, remember? IOW, your turn about is 'actual' for me. It IS a big deal to me. What I'm doing is quoting you where it isn't a core doctrine. If not, then you are inordinately preoccupied, majoring on minors. Me? It is a core doctrine. Inerrancy goes along hand in hand with authority and inspiration. The scriptures are commanding and to be followed. That? Essential.

As for
It COULDN'T be because you use the same tactics?

Your pretending my posts are anything like John w’s is dishonest. Why dishonor yourself in this way?
The ends never justify the means, no matter how noble. "IF" I were in your shoes, it appears to me, that this isn't the hill I'd die upon.

I'd have much more important hills, like following what is said therein that we can take verbatim, ignoring those which aren't to be taken verbatim (again 'if' I believed such). I'm simply trying to walk that mile in your shoes and trying to ascertain what would be obvious for importance to me.
Whether I succeed in stating for your actual, it does reflect where my priorities would be if I were ever convinced. Why? Because I think if you (and I in your place) maintain authority for life and godliness in them, then they ARE to follow more than scrutinize AND following is by far the more important thing than whether there were one or two donkeys. That fails in comparison of what we SHOULD be doing with the scriptures. Incidentally, I think that's why Wallace said this wasn't a core doctrine. One or two donkeys makes no difference to your taking up your cross and following him, from your perspective. From mine, I yet think it presumptuous to assume error and that such can affect our walk.

Lon

It is impolite to call me a serpent, by the way.
Just by reminder, a 'cobra' is a serpent. Yes, yes, a car has that name. What was 'it' named after?

You've got to realize you make some of your own drawn inferences.

2003cobra

Yes, it is the case. A handful of critics isn't 'merit.'

ALL of us??? :think: :noway:

Critics had their day, they were widely seen on PBS among other places. They were soundly rejected.

You don't 'get' to make comment. It is mine alone. "It wouldn't be worth my time."
I've already told you 'clearly' why. You make up other reasons but as I said, you don't 'get' to make up 'what I would say' or 'what I mean.'

You've said this before, but 'my' answer is "Not ENOUGH!"
It isn't sufficient reason to make a stink when you aren't questioning anyone's theology. You've said theology is not touched.

Therefore, the "doesn't really matter" er, "Doesn't really matter."
You have taken a small nothing of a tiny molehill and created a mountain and, imho, for no good reason.
The supposed 'stumbler?' Doesn't exist.

No. When you give that all matters of importance are accurate and dare I say 'inspired' you've given too much ground to be of anything but petty and unviable at that point. There is no 'point' to any of this but perhaps stroking your ego over the matter because that can be the only thing that matters. You are way too close to 'inerrancy when it counts' to be of much use. That's why you disagree with Zeke. To me, it looks like fence riding "errors EXCEPT when it counts."
Example: Anything wrong with the Book of Mormon? Just a few errors? Anything wrong with the Urantia Papers? Just a couple of errors?
Huge errors? How do you know? Where is your authority? What would convince anybody? Where is authority found to refute error and heresy?

How about a JW 'translation?' It only has a few errors compared to every other. Close enough for you? Heresy included?

Er, as I said, for me, 'even if' I'd not bring it up like you. You've quoted Dr. Wallace enough that 'it isn't a central doctrine.' As such, something to be vehement over? RATHER I don't agree with you, remember? I am arguing with you over it because I disagree with Wallace, remember? IOW, your turn about is 'actual' for me. It IS a big deal to me. What I'm doing is quoting you where it isn't a core doctrine. If not, then you are inordinately preoccupied, majoring on minors. Me? It is a core doctrine. Inerrancy goes along hand in hand with authority and inspiration. The scriptures are commanding and to be followed. That? Essential.

The ends never justify the means, no matter how noble. "IF" I were in your shoes, it appears to me, that this isn't the hill I'd die upon.

I'd have much more important hills, like following what is said therein that we can take verbatim, ignoring those which aren't to be taken verbatim (again 'if' I believed such). I'm simply trying to walk that mile in your shoes and trying to ascertain what would be obvious for importance to me.
Whether I succeed in stating for your actual, it does reflect where my priorities would be if I were ever convinced. Why? Because I think if you (and I in your place) maintain authority for life and godliness in them, then they ARE to follow more than scrutinize AND following is by far the more important thing than whether there were one or two donkeys. That fails in comparison of what we SHOULD be doing with the scriptures. Incidentally, I think that's why Wallace said this wasn't a core doctrine. One or two donkeys makes no difference to your taking up your cross and following him, from your perspective. From mine, I yet think it presumptuous to assume error and that such can affect our walk.

We will have to disagree that your setting people up to stumble by presenting a man-made false doctrine is “small nothing of a tiny molehill.”

Fortunately, you have shown that you cannot reconcile the errors that clearly show your false doctrine is contrary to scripture.

Lon

We will have to disagree that your setting people up to stumble by presenting a man-made false doctrine is “small nothing of a tiny molehill.”

Fortunately, you have shown that you cannot reconcile the errors that clearly show your false doctrine is contrary to scripture.

Nor can the Catholic church, nor the Orthodox, nor any Evangelical... not to YOUR personal satisfaction or what you call 'intelligence' anyway. SOMEBODY is overcompensating. Say it Cobra, "they all hold to inerrancy but oh so intelligent me." If you are going to be quite alone, it might as well be a pedestal? As I said, nobody stumbles over one or two donkeys except those bound to stumbling 1 Peter 2:4-8 1 Corinthians 1:22-24 (you should REALLY read this book enough to be able to quote it).

I 'think' quite clearly, you overstate your case. EITHER you and your kind have done a terrible job of pushing through with your prosecution case, such that virtually nobody listens to you, OR you are inept. Wouldn't you agree? If not, give me another scenario where this works in your favor. As it sits? :nono: I suppose a third option would be none of us are saved? So, which is it? Don't be shy. Fourth? We aren't as bright and intelligent as you are? :think: Don't leave us in the dark, what do you really think?

2003cobra

Nor can the Catholic church, nor the Orthodox, nor any Evangelical... not to YOUR personal satisfaction or what you call 'intelligence' anyway. SOMEBODY is overcompensating. Say it Cobra, "they all hold to inerrancy but oh so intelligent me." If you are going to be quite alone, it might as well be a pedestal? As I said, nobody stumbles over one or two donkeys except those bound to stumbling 1 Peter 2:4-8 1 Corinthians 1:22-24 (you should REALLY read this book enough to be able to quote it).

I 'think' quite clearly, you overstate your case. EITHER you and your kind have done a terrible job of pushing through with your prosecution case, such that virtually nobody listens to you, OR you are inept. Wouldn't you agree? If not, give me another scenario where this works in your favor. As it sits? :nono: I suppose a third option would be none of us are saved? So, which is it? Don't be shy. Fourth? We aren't as bright and intelligent as you are? :think: Don't leave us in the dark, what do you really think?

Always quick with the insults, never manage to come to the table where errors are discussed.

Lon

Always quick with the insults, never manage to come to the table where errors are discussed.

:confused: Not even one insult. Questions where appropriate, but not one insult. How is 'pedestal' or 'smarter than the rest of us' an insult?

I have no idea what is going on in your head. In the end? "Tell us. What do you really think?"

This is simply laying all cards on the table, Cobra. I've a full-house. Including historicity, orthodoxy, and consensus. You? Just you. A lone ace doesn't beat the rest. :idunno:

You have one-liners often enough to several paragraphs. It might behoove you to answer questions. It is ONLY fair, if you ask someone to walk in your shoes, that you give the tour as it were. All cards up front. Do you do the 'backroom tour' instead? :think:

"Well, now that I've got you, nobody agrees with us. We are a very few people and a good many of them not believers. Over here we have the guys who work on getting us PBS time, though we've really had no heyday like in the 70's and before that in Germany. We can still count Eerdman and people like Zeke on our side, even if they aren't believers. They clearly see the errors...."

Either one shows or folds usually. Bluff doesn't work: There were no insults in my post.

Zenn

KJV just says 'word'.
EXACTLY, They All do. Thereby fusing together two separate concepts between which the English reader CANNOT differentiate.

So when in reading about the "word of God", the typical Christian has no idea whether the text is talking about the Rhema(word) of God, or the Logos(word) of God. They are different. Again, there are 2 Word-of-God(s).

So while not kicking the hornet's nest on purpose (and I'll likely ignore all the gnashing of teeth to follow)... one can only conclude that the Bible is not the Word of God because the Bible defines what the Word of God is (both of them) and it does not include itself in its own definition - either of the two. While most people know about the Logos, few if any know of the Rhema, which is defined in Ephesians 6:17, a verse that every English translation has gotten wrong, as any second year Koine student can plainly see.

Zenn

(Thought you'd like that.:))

Zenn

You mean
400full-lorne-greene.jpg
???
No, I mean
a6c5a0e800d5f78c28f4720912d3ae35.jpg

:)

6970.gif