Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

rstrats

Angel4Truth,
re: "Why would you believe life is eternal then, same word used. If punishment isnt eternal, neither is life."

If the punishment handed down by the judge is death, why can't the death be eternal?

Then you believe Christ wrong to state those who believe go on to everlasting life then?

I do not believe Christ is wrong about those who believe going on to aionios life, I believe those who translated the word aionios to be everlasting and eternal are the ones who are incorrect. As I stated, aionios life is knowing God the Father and Jesus the Christ who was sent of the Father, and it is only through Christ that we can have aionios life.

What do you think happens after this life? What is your faith?

My faith and righteousness is Jesus Christ who has justified all men to life through his blood. Those who acknowledge him as the Savior are preserved and are sealed by the Holy Spirit until the redemption, co-heirs with Christ, and have their part in New Jerusalem: whereas those who do not are condemned to forever remain outside of the city, separated from the direct presence of God.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

rstrats

Angel4Truth,
re: "It is eternal, in the lake of fire"

Sorry, I thought you were suggesting that ECT was the punishment.

Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

If the punishment handed down by the judge is death, why can't the death be eternal?

I understand that this was in context with thinking that ETC was thought to be the punishment, however you bring up a good question: why can’t the death be eternal?

There are a few reasons why this cannot be.

One: Just like life, if it has a beginning it cannot be eternal.

Two: the work that Jesus did on the cross justified all men to life. (1 Corinthians 15:22 and Romans 5:18)

Three: God is immutable, he will never change. How then can we believe that judgement is everlasting when no other judgement made by God has?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I do not believe Christ is wrong about those who believe going on to aionios life, I believe those who translated the word aionios to be everlasting and eternal are the ones who are incorrect. As I stated, aionios life is knowing God the Father and Jesus the Christ who was sent of the Father, and it is only through Christ that we can have aionios life.

My faith and righteousness is Jesus Christ who has justified all men to life through his blood. Those who acknowledge him as the Savior are preserved and are sealed by the Holy Spirit until the redemption, co-heirs with Christ, and have their part in New Jerusalem: whereas those who do not are condemned to forever remain outside of the city, separated from the direct presence of God.

Again what is your faith, you quoted me asking but didnt answer, are you sda or jw?

Again what is your faith, you quoted me asking but didnt answer, are you sda or jw?

Oh, you meant denomination, I apologize.

I do not submit to any denomination or religious institution. My position is in Christ alone. I grew up as an independent baptist, and attend a southern baptist congregation, but that is only because it works with my work schedule. My Grandfather was one of the smartest men I know and taught me to be skeptical of everything until I study it out for myself and stand on my own convictions.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Oh, you meant denomination, I apologize.

I do not submit to any denomination or religious institution. My position is in Christ alone. I grew up as an independent baptist, and attend a southern baptist congregation, but that is only because it works with my work schedule. My Grandfather was one of the smartest men I know and taught me to be skeptical of everything until I study it out for myself and stand on my own convictions.

Then you are saying you are a lone ranger who took soul sleep from the sda and reject eternal damnation which is taught by the baptists. Thanks.

way 2 go

Actually, the Hebrew word that is translated as eternal means no such thing. It literally means “time out of mind” we would say unthinkable or unimaginable.

everlasting works

Gen 21:33 And Abraham plantedH5193 a groveH815 in Beersheba,H884 and calledH7121 thereH8033 on the nameH8034 of the LORD,H3068 the everlastingH5769 God.H410

Dan 12:2 And manyH7227 of them that sleepH4480 H3463 in the dustH6083 of the earthH127 shall awake,H6974 someH428 to everlastingH5769 life,H2416 and someH428 to shameH2781 and everlastingH5769 contempt.H1860

o-lawm', o-lawm'
From H5956; properly concealed, that is, the vanishing point; generally time out of mind (past or future), that is, (practically) eternity;

The root for the Greek Word is aion, which literally means an age. Aionios, is the adjective form which cannot have more force than its root. It’s like elder and elderly, elderly cannot have a greater force than the root elder. Again the context is time out of mind, which again would be unthinkable or unimaginable in today’s language.

eternal and everlasting work

Mat 25:46 AndG2532 theseG3778 shall go awayG565 intoG1519 everlastingG166 punishment:G2851 butG1161 theG3588 righteousG1342 intoG1519 lifeG2222 eternal.G166

aiōnios
ahee-o'-nee-os
From G165; perpetual (also used of past time, or past and future as well): - eternal, for ever, everlasting, world (began).

As I said, the very notion of ETC rejects the nature, character, and attributes of God

what attributes and what god?

and is based on the postulation of the false doctrine of the immortality of the human soul.

human soul survives without the body

Luk 16:23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.
Luk 16:24 And he called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.'

Furthermore, if you wish to claim that ETC is Biblical you can go ahead and believe that, but the fact that it contradicts the very being of God shows that it is false even if you think it is in the Bible. God is the final authority, not the Bible.

eternal conscious punishment is biblical and the bible is the word of God

way 2 go

I understand that this was in context with thinking that ETC was thought to be the punishment, however you bring up a good question: why can’t the death be eternal?

There are a few reasons why this cannot be.

One: Just like life, if it has a beginning it cannot be eternal.

we have a beginning and we are eternal beings

Two: the work that Jesus did on the cross justified all men to life. (1 Corinthians 15:22 and Romans 5:18)

if you are talking universal salvation :kookoo:

Three: God is immutable, he will never change. How then can we believe that judgement is everlasting when no other judgement made by God has?

judgement day is still future

Rev 20:10 And the Devil who deceived them was cast into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet were . And he will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

TestedandTried

Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment (ECT) biblical or not?

Which verses in the Bible support ECT and which verses in the bible support the doctrine that the wicked perish instead?

It is Biblical. All one need do is a read of Scripture. One such Scripture passage is: Mark 9:48 but most areas where Jesus mentions hell He also mentions fire and eternal flames. Another good example is Revelation. You might want to use Biblegateway.com to search "into hell" or simply "hell" or "fire" or even "fires" to get the picture.

only God has been around for eternity
and we will exist for eternity.

Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Look up eternity in the dictionary. What is the definition? Only God is eternal, only God is outside of time. We cannot exist for eternity, the only thing we can do is put on immortality.

we have a beginning and we are eternal beings

Please look up the definition of eternal... Your statement makes less sense that ultra-Darwinism.

if you are talking universal salvation :kookoo:

The fact that you don't know if I am or not shows how little you know about soteriology; however, I will help ease your mind. No, I am not talking about universal salvation. I am talking about universal justification to life, meaning what Christ did on the cross ensured that all men would have their life renewed after death.

Let me ask you a question though. Is God the Savior of all men?

judgement day is still future

Yes it is, which means that all those who have died are still dead...

Rev 20:10 And the Devil who deceived them was cast into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet were . And he will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

I am glad you brought this verse up. There are many questions you have to answer to correctly interpret this verse.

First, what is the lake of fire? Is it a literal lake or is it a symbol for something else?

Second, If the torment is for eternity why does it use "day and night"? Do you not know that there will be no night or day and no need for the sun and moon in heaven because the lamb, Jesus Christ will be the light thereof? (Revelation 21:23)

Third, How long is forever? Can you add any more time to forever by adding an additional ever? The correct translation should be for ages and ages: or, to the age of ages.

You have been severely brainwashed by "Orthodox" Christianity. Why don't you use the brain that God gave you for logic and reasoning?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Please look up the definition of eternal... Your statement makes less sense that ultra-Darwinism.

The fact that you don't know if I am or not shows how little you know about soteriology; however, I will help ease your mind. No, I am not talking about universal salvation. I am talking about universal justification to life, meaning what Christ did on the cross ensured that all men would have their life renewed after death.

Let me ask you a question though. Is God the Savior of all men?

Yes it is, which means that all those who have died are still dead...

I am glad you brought this verse up. There are many questions you have to answer to correctly interpret this verse.

First, what is the lake of fire? Is it a literal lake or is it a symbol for something else?

Second, If the torment is for eternity why does it use "day and night"? Do you not know that there will be no night or day and no need for the sun and moon in heaven because the lamb, Jesus Christ will be the light thereof? (Revelation 21:23)

Third, How long is forever? Can you add any more time to forever by adding an additional ever? The correct translation should be for ages and ages: or, to the age of ages.

You have been severely brainwashed by "Orthodox" Christianity. Why don't you use the brain that God gave you for logic and reasoning?

flawless analysis, thank you.

Then you are saying you are a lone ranger who took soul sleep from the sda and reject eternal damnation which is taught by the baptists. Thanks.

I am not a lone ranger. I attend a congregation, I fellowship with other believers, but I also stand for truth, logic, and reasoning when it comes to doctrine.

Soul sleep lacks reasoning, when a body dies so does the soul, it does not posses life again until the resurrection. Resurrection and not rapture by the way.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Look up eternity in the dictionary. What is the definition? Only God is eternal, only God is outside of time. We cannot exist for eternity, the only thing we can do is put on immortality.

e·ter·ni·ty
əˈtərnədē/
noun
noun: eternity

infinite or unending time.
"their love was sealed for eternity"
synonyms: ever, all time, perpetuity
"the memory will remain for eternity"
a state to which time has no application; timelessness.
Theology
endless life after death.
"immortal souls destined for eternity"
synonyms: the afterlife, everlasting life, life after death, the hereafter, the afterworld, the next world; More
heaven, paradise, immortality
"souls destined for eternity"

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Definition of immortality
: the quality or state of being immortal:
a : unending existence

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
:think: doesnt seem you know the definition of these words and clear you dont believe the bible.