Does anyone go to heaven when they die?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

How are we to understand resurrection, rather?

TrevorL

Greetings Jacob,
How are we to understand resurrection, rather?
When we die we return to dust Daniel 12:2 and await the resurrection at the return of Jesus 2 Timothy 4:1,6-8.

Kind regards
Trevor

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Greetings Jacob,When we die we return to dust Daniel 12:2 and await the resurrection at the return of Jesus 2 Timothy 4:1,6-8.

Kind regards
Trevor
Shalom Trevor,

I do not know how to interpret John 14:1-3 and any other passage. It would come as a surprise to many if people do not go to heaven when they die. I do not know what to say. Follow the evidence where it leads is good advice. I accept all of Scripture. What can you say to this to help me? I do not want to hold to anything that is not true. I currently do not believe that people go to heaven when they die.

Shalom.

Jacob

TrevorL

Greetings again james,
I do not know how to interpret John 14:1-3 and any other passage. It would come as a surprise to many if people do not go to heaven when they die. I do not know what to say. Follow the evidence where it leads is good advice. I accept all of Scripture. What can you say to this to help me? I do not want to hold to anything that is not true. I currently do not believe that people go to heaven when they die.
There are a number of passages that are used by those who believe in heaven going at death. I assume a few more of these will appear in this thread. One of my mates was brought up CofE and most of his relatives and many of his rural community neighbours are CofE. He has attended many funerals, and has mentioned that the minister(s) sends them all to heaven, or claims that they have gone to heaven, possibly even the bad ones.

Concerning John 14:1-3 please consider the concept of the Father’s house. Possibly God owns a house in heaven, but God does not dwell in a house in heaven.
Isaiah 66: 1-2 (KJV): 1 Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? 2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

The following is another way to consider the Father’s house, and the first is recorded by John also:
John 2: 13-22 (KJV): 13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up. 18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things? 19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21 But he spake of the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.
Hebrews 3:1-6 (KJV): 1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; 2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. 3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house. 4 For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God. 5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; 6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Kind regards
Trevor

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Greetings again james, There are a number of passages that are used by those who believe in heaven going at death. I assume a few more of these will appear in this thread. One of my mates was brought up CofE and most of his relatives and many of his rural community neighbours are CofE. He has attended many funerals, and has mentioned that the minister(s) sends them all to heaven, or claims that they have gone to heaven, possibly even the bad ones.

Concerning John 14:1-3 please consider the concept of the Father’s house. Possibly God owns a house in heaven, but God does not dwell in a house in heaven.
Isaiah 66: 1-2 (KJV): 1 Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? 2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

The following is another way to consider the Father’s house, and the first is recorded by John also:
John 2: 13-22 (KJV): 13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up. 18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things? 19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21 But he spake of the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.
Hebrews 3:1-6 (KJV): 1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; 2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. 3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house. 4 For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God. 5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; 6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Kind regards
Trevor
Trevor,

My name is not james.

What is CofE?

Thank you for sharing the scripture that you shared with me. Anything else? Anything more?

Shalom.

Jacob

TrevorL

Greetings again Jacob,
My name is not james.
What is CofE?
Sorry for the mistake. CofE is my shorthand for Church of England. This title is used in England and Australia but possibly Episcopalian in the USA. Other details of John 14:1-3 that should be considered is that Jesus was going first to the cross when he spoke these words and it is by means of his death and resurrection that a place is prepared for those who believe in him. Also it speaks of Jesus' return, rather than the believer going to meet or be with Jesus. The word mansions (KJV) is confusing or misleading.

Kind regards
Trevor

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Greetings again Jacob, Sorry for the mistake. CofE is my shorthand for Church of England. This title is used in England and Australia but possibly Episcopalian in the USA. Other details of John 14:1-3 that should be considered is that Jesus was going first to the cross when he spoke these words and it is by means of his death and resurrection that a place is prepared for those who believe in him. Also it speaks of Jesus' return, rather than the believer going to meet or be with Jesus. The word mansions (KJV) is confusing or misleading.

Kind regards
Trevor
We should probably post John 14:1-3.

God's Truth

I am not sure of that.

In 1 Timothy 5:18 Paul joins a New Testament scripture (Luke 10:7) to an Old Testament scripture (Deuteronomy 25:4) and calls them both scripture. In addition, we can see in 2 Peter 3:15-16 Peter recognizes what Paul writes as scripture.

As 2 Peter 1:20-21 says. Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.