Death wish remake

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He has to flip his lucky silver dollar to decide.
For those playing at home, that's Must pretending I hold two standards (Two Face is a famous Batman villain) or that my approach is random or inconsistent.

Of course Must won't begin to make the case for any of that with argument and parts, quotes, facts. But then, that's probably why he's answering me to someone else and not directly.

:think: Maybe he should start posting in the comments section of YouTube. That style is all the rage there. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm not pretending.
You're not a lot of things. Rationally capable of doing more than declaring (or inferring) that particular, by way of.

Or, as I put then:

Of course Must won't begin to make the case for any of that with argument and parts, quotes, facts.

Well played, sir!
In literally what sense? He managed to work in a Batman villain into a comment without actually relating it to anything more than his propensity for confusing his bias with a demonstrable truth? :plain: Okay.

fool

Hall of Fame
I don't know the lay of that land, how the hunters are distributed over time, etc. Sounds awful though.
On the opening day of gun season everyone and their brother is in the woods, When the dawn breaks it's like a war zone for half an hour. Everything you observed preseason is out the window and the deer no longer have a routine. There is a gun behind every tree and they are getting flushed and pushed and shot at from every direction. You're not going to stalk anything in that scenario.

I suppose faced with that I'd either go elsewhere to hunt or give it up and just hike a bit.
That would be hiking not hunting and deer season is a bad time for hiking.

Unless I really needed the meat or just enjoyed killing things. I don't, so it wouldn't interest me.
I don't think most people "need" the meat but they do want to preserve the knowledge of how to get it.

If you're hunting primarily for food then do what gets you the most of it. In my family the hunt was part of a larger mosaic of respect, discipline and rites of passage, from blooding to going alone. But we had the luxury of acreage in the family, so there's that, I suppose. Skill is in tracking, beating the prey and returning intact from a deep hunt, which isn't a thing you do in a day.
You can stalk for a whole day and still be on your own land?
Are you Ben Cartwright?

The hunt taught me to love and appreciate nature in a way I don't believe I would have otherwise. I don't care for it being reduced to an assembly line except by necessity and I feel about it the same way I do about men who go out with shotguns that carry more shells in the gun than you get from an over/under.
You hunt deer with a shotgun? On purpose?
In Michigan we have a "shotgun line" in the lower half of the lower peninsula, you can only use a shotgun or 50 cal muzzle loader due to population density.
But to each their own.
Indeed.

ClimateSanity

Never heard of him. Who does he review for? Went to Rotten Tomatoes and he doesn't appear as a critic for anyone there.

Critics I tend to look at for a bit would include: Roper, for the New Yorker; Orr in the Atlantic; Rainer, for Christian Science Monitor; Burr in the Boston Globe; Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal; LaSalle, SF Chronicle; Travers, from Rolling Stone; Whitty, Daily News; McCarthy, Hollywood Reporter; Scott, the NY Times; Colin Covert, Minneapolis Trib...a handful of others.

How could I agree with a review I haven't read or any review of a movie I haven't actually seen? If you haven't seen the movie at best you can try to sum an opinion of a trailer prepared by people who mostly want to stir reaction and put fannies in theater seats.

How many trailers have you watched that were better than the movie? Or at least more interesting.

Hard to imagine the character wouldn't be angry. And he's definitely white. Old? In the eye of the beholder. He has reached the threshold of the Harrison Ford model, where I find myself asking, "Do I believe he can still get most of that done?" But old? To a twenty something, probably.

Why racist? I didn't hear him drop an n-bomb, saw black people at his wife's funeral. Most of the people he kills in the trailer don't appear to be black. He does shoot a black drug dealer, but it looks like he's avenging something that injured a black kid. How would that be racist? So far the only emotional reactions like that I'm seeing are found in the comment sections of YouTube trailers as bait from alt right people who seem desperate to use SJW initials and have something to talk about that isn't Trump and the embarrassing laugh track behind his administration's antics.

You've seen the film? Or are you forming your opinion first?

You really want to lose your mind look up the number of people who disappear in states where Hillary Clinton lived during the time she lived there.

It's eerie. :plain:

Everyone says that until they see the rebuilt kitchen.

His review is saying that the movie is red meat for racist old white male Trump supporters and that it has racist undertones. Neither of us have seen the movie and so I guess you cannot agree or disagree with him until then.

ClimateSanity

From the Chicagoist.com :

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.chic...es/create?article_id=5983a33e3b237700010a43ff

Back when we first heard about the Chicago-set, Bruce Willis-starring remake of*Death Wish, it struck as a particularly bad idea. We wrote last September, when shooting details were announced: "[R]ight now seems like just about the worst time in recent history for Hollywood to order a remake of a fascistic vigilante-justice fantasy from a director with all the subtlety of a bloody fist to a rotting face," that filmmaker being*Hostel*director Eli Roth. With the death of Travyon Martin not far in the past and*relaxed gun laws making headlines, plus the rise of white nationalism, a white dude single-handedly "cleaning up" a Chicago-as-urban-wasteland seemed shockingly ill-timed. We still don't know what the end product will look like, but the trailer, which just arrived today, doesn't exactly assuage our fears—and we're not alone.

The trailer for the film, a remake of the 1974 Charles Bronson revenge actioneer, follows an avenging-angel-type Willis as he seeks retribution after his family is attacked in a home invasion—which seemingly takes him deep into the Chicago crime morass. The filmmakers seem quite aware that they're treading on problematic grounds and look to avoid the most obvious racially charged missteps: some the victims he assists in the trailer are people of color; some criminals are not. But in a city where the department*actually*tasked with upholding the law was found to have engaged in*a pattern of constitutional-rights abusesand where officers will face trial for*allegedly covering up the Laquan McDonald killing, do we really want to cheer on answer-to-no-one vigilantism?

Sam Adams—who makes the point that Chicago "is that favorite race-coded target of Trump’s dishonest rhetoric"—writes in Slate:

"One might imagine that a thriller released in 2017 would be at least a little ambivalent about the spectacle of a man wading into the brackish waters of urban crime with his guns blazing, and maybe*Death Wish*is at least a little more subtle than its rah-rah trailer suggests. (As a filmmaker, Roth is something of a moral idiot, which could work in either direction.) But studio marketing departments are experts at knowing their audiences, and it’s not hard to imagine that there’s a substantial constituency out there for people who want law-enforcement, civilian or otherwise, to shoot first and ask questions later. Or, better yet, never."

Over at GQ, Joshua Rivera found it all a bit discomfiting, too. He wrote:

"The new*Death Wish*has an entirely different context [than the original], one where guns are routinely turned on black citizens by white supremacists and white cops, where mass shootings regularly occur and lawmakers refuse to do anything about it, where guns in the hands of the populace is not a rarity but arguably an epidemic. It takes a profound level of either ignorance or craven, willful opportunism to think that this is a moment to make a film about a white man's rage channeled through the barrel of a gun."

Film writer Alan Zilberman was more succinct in his criticism.

As others have emphasized, we'll have to wait and see before we know for sure how ably or ineptly the film navigates its thorny pastures. But so far, the reviews aren't encouraging.

ClimateSanity

Alan Zilberman writes movie reviews for the Washington Post.

TH. Do you care to comment on what other reviewers have had to say in my post ?

Arthur Brain

From the Chicagoist.com :

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.chic...es/create?article_id=5983a33e3b237700010a43ff

Back when we first heard about the Chicago-set, Bruce Willis-starring remake of*Death Wish, it struck as a particularly bad idea. We wrote last September, when shooting details were announced: "[R]ight now seems like just about the worst time in recent history for Hollywood to order a remake of a fascistic vigilante-justice fantasy from a director with all the subtlety of a bloody fist to a rotting face," that filmmaker being*Hostel*director Eli Roth. With the death of Travyon Martin not far in the past and*relaxed gun laws making headlines, plus the rise of white nationalism, a white dude single-handedly "cleaning up" a Chicago-as-urban-wasteland seemed shockingly ill-timed. We still don't know what the end product will look like, but the trailer, which just arrived today, doesn't exactly assuage our fears—and we're not alone.

The trailer for the film, a remake of the 1974 Charles Bronson revenge actioneer, follows an avenging-angel-type Willis as he seeks retribution after his family is attacked in a home invasion—which seemingly takes him deep into the Chicago crime morass. The filmmakers seem quite aware that they're treading on problematic grounds and look to avoid the most obvious racially charged missteps: some the victims he assists in the trailer are people of color; some criminals are not. But in a city where the department*actually*tasked with upholding the law was found to have engaged in*a pattern of constitutional-rights abusesand where officers will face trial for*allegedly covering up the Laquan McDonald killing, do we really want to cheer on answer-to-no-one vigilantism?

Sam Adams—who makes the point that Chicago "is that favorite race-coded target of Trump’s dishonest rhetoric"—writes in Slate:

"One might imagine that a thriller released in 2017 would be at least a little ambivalent about the spectacle of a man wading into the brackish waters of urban crime with his guns blazing, and maybe*Death Wish*is at least a little more subtle than its rah-rah trailer suggests. (As a filmmaker, Roth is something of a moral idiot, which could work in either direction.) But studio marketing departments are experts at knowing their audiences, and it’s not hard to imagine that there’s a substantial constituency out there for people who want law-enforcement, civilian or otherwise, to shoot first and ask questions later. Or, better yet, never."

Over at GQ, Joshua Rivera found it all a bit discomfiting, too. He wrote:

"The new*Death Wish*has an entirely different context [than the original], one where guns are routinely turned on black citizens by white supremacists and white cops, where mass shootings regularly occur and lawmakers refuse to do anything about it, where guns in the hands of the populace is not a rarity but arguably an epidemic. It takes a profound level of either ignorance or craven, willful opportunism to think that this is a moment to make a film about a white man's rage channeled through the barrel of a gun."

Film writer Alan Zilberman was more succinct in his criticism.

As others have emphasized, we'll have to wait and see before we know for sure how ably or ineptly the film navigates its thorny pastures. But so far, the reviews aren't encouraging.

Anyone with a passing familiarity with Eli Roth already know this film ain't gonna be subtle or philosophical. Look at his back catalogue: "Hostel" , "Green Inferno", "Cabin Fever" among others. The guys primarily a gore horror/schlock director so if you're expecting a nuanced script and an intelligent plot/narrative then it ain't gonna be in this...

musterion

Anyone with a passing familiarity with Eli Roth already know this film ain't gonna be subtle or philosophical. Look at his back catalogue: "Hostel" , "Green Inferno", "Cabin Fever" among others. The guys primarily a gore horror/schlock director so if you're expecting a nuanced script and an intelligent plot/narrative then it ain't gonna be in this...

The guy had guts for one thing -- depicting the native cannibals in INFERNO as actual native cannibals. That set a lot of PC folks off, poor dears. Those cannibals SHOULD have been evil white people, donchaknow.

Arthur Brain

The guy had guts for one thing -- depicting the native cannibals in INFERNO as actual native cannibals. That set a lot of PC folks off, poor dears. Those cannibals SHOULD have been evil white people, donchaknow.

Dude, even fans of Roth don't think much of it in the main. Poorly paced with no character development to speak of, glaring lapses in logic, uneven in tone, script written on the back of a stamp and pretty much an excuse for gory violence although even that wasn't enough for most gore hounds considering 'Cannibal Holocaust' was the primary inspiration for the movie.

Your latter comment is just, well, dumb...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Alan Zilberman writes movie reviews for the Washington Post.
Thanks. Never heard of him before.

TH. Do you care to comment on what other reviewers have had to say in my post ?
Heading out for a bit. I'll read the one you posted when I get back. Not sure what I can speak to other than method/approach, since I haven't seen the film.

His review is saying that the movie is red meat for racist old white male Trump supporters and that it has racist undertones. Neither of us have seen the movie and so I guess you cannot agree or disagree with him until then.
Good. That seems reasonable.

Then make your case. It needs to be a better one than you've done for painting aCW as a "Moby" as well...
He won't do what he can't do and he's already done what he can, which isn't much.